Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time Special - Child Care in Ireland (No Downloads - Please Read Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭EdCastle

Heroditas wrote: »
    They also said that despite all the issues shown, none of the good stuff was shown.
    As a result, it may come across as sensationalist.

The program wasn't about highlighting the 'good stuff'. People are paying money for this service, it should be all 'good stuff'.

As was pointed out on the Joe Duffy show, most of the parents who had children involved in last night's program would have continued to believe they too were receiving an excellent service until they were actually shown the recorded footage.

Fact is, how does any parent know what is happening once they leave the childcare centre. We saw last night how the log books for the kids were given false reports to satisfy the parents.

As was reported, 75% of centres have been in breach of regulations, that is a staggering statistic and should prompt any parent to remove their blinkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Its very unsettling the number of posts on this thread along the lines of "why would you leave your children with strangers".

Do people who echo this sentiment not realise that many people cannot afford to have a stay at home parent? That there are many single parent families? That many parents would not like to be stay at home parents? That the government policies do not support people to be stay at home parents? That childcare is not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

Thats a harsh comment - many people dont really have a choice due to financial circumstances etc, and it would be unfair to suggest all creches are like what was portrayed last night..
    Giraffe pay their staff the worst, so what do you expect. They are coining it now due to the free year coming out of my taxes. Why would you leave your young children in the care of absolute strangers, thats the real question, it's about as loving as sending them off to boarding school.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thread cleaned up and restored.

No asking for links, posting links, posting torrents, posting google search terms or filenames. RTE have restricted availability of this episode by agreement with the parents of the children featured in the show. By posting links or asking for links, you open this site up for legal ramifications with RTE's legal team.

Thanks for your understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Mr E wrote: »
    Thread cleaned up and restored.

No asking for links, posting links, posting torrents, posting google search terms or filenames. RTE have restricted availability of this episode by agreement with the parents of the children featured in the show. By posting links or asking for links, you open this site up for legal ramifications with RTE's legal team.

Thanks for your understanding.

Weren't you the very man who said it was OK to put up google search terms? Not I'm not giving out to you at all, just pointing it out to you. Did the staff have a discussion on it and decide?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Neeson wrote: »
    Did the staff have a discussion on it and decide?

I was trying to facilitate people who hadn't seen the program, but when there is a danger of possible legal action, we err on the side of caution.

Mr E wrote: »
    I was trying to facilitate people who hadn't seen the program, but when there is a danger of possible legal action, we err on the side of caution.

This is it. True for ya.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Can someone explain again why some parents want to restrict access to it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I'm guessing to protect their children's privacy and to prevent a situation where they may find themselves watching the footage repeatedly.

I understand their desire to restrict it to one showing - it needed to be seen and has been seen. The parents (and children) need the chance to put it behind them.

I think it's OK to say its on YouTube. Might not be there for long but it will just continually be uploaded until them ones in RTE understand. They can't silence us.

• Advertisement

DM addict wrote: »
    I'm guessing to protect their children's privacy and to prevent a situation where they may find themselves watching the footage repeatedly.

I understand their desire to restrict it to one showing - it needed to be seen and has been seen. The parents (and children) need the chance to put it behind them.

Your reason is they might view it again by accident? :confused:

Put it behind them like... as if that was yesterday, now nothing like that will ever happen in Ireland again...?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I am still shocked and angry today about that programme.

Poor adorable little children being abused by people who would greet their parents with a smile and the poor parents thinking they were wonderful with the children and looking after their needs.
    These young kids would not be able to tell their parents about the "lovely" day they had in that creche.

What would have been a lot worse to see are the little faces of these children which the cameras blocked out. The fear and terror would have been really shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

EdCastle wrote: »
    The program wasn't about highlighting the 'good stuff'. People are paying money for this service, it should be all 'good stuff'.

As was pointed out on the Joe Duffy show, most of the parents who had children involved in last night's program would have continued to believe they too were receiving an excellent service until they were actually shown the recorded footage.

Fact is, how does any parent know what is happening once they leave the childcare centre. We saw last night how the log books for the kids were given false reports to satisfy the parents.

As was reported, 75% of centres have been in breach of regulations, that is a staggering statistic and should prompt any parent to remove their blinkers.

I know, which is why I find my friends' reaction downright puzzling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

It has now been blocked on youtube. From youtube:
    This video contains content from The Orchard Music and RTE, one or more of whom have blocked it on copyright grounds.

But still watchable on my phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sam30

I have to say after being horrified and upset by what I would categorize as the ABUSE those children suffered at the hands of their carers (NOT "mishandling, or inappropriate unacceptable behaviour" words bandied around in the media today). I am also dismayed by some of the reactions of posters here. Minimization of what we saw in that footage is dangerous!!!. For example, while checking messages on a phone may seem like a "minor offence" to some people it is telling of the level of interest, care, attention the carers were showing towards those children - children's sense of self and confidence develop only in light of the interest and care shown toward them - so the message that they were receiving throughout the day was that they were a nuisance, shouldn't express themselves, not interesting enough etc etc. They also weren't being monitored!! I am paying through the nose for my child to be safe at the very basic level.

I have my little one in a creche for the past month for 2 days/week .I chose the creche carefully and over a childminder because in my line of work I was aware of trying to minimise the likelyhood of abuse happening and although I had concerns about the attention given and relationships in a creche my first instinct was perhaps safety in numbers!!! How wrong was I! Nobody in the room said anything to those cruel abusive women!

The lack of awareness of the developmental level of an 18 month old also was just SHOCKING!! I had assumed that such workers would have a basic understanding of when a child's ability to understand and reason would kick in and that waiting and sitting for long periods is a couple of years away!

I could go on and on because all I saw was emotional,mental and physical abuse throughout and when that wasn't there I saw a huge lack of interest and care for young adorable fun wobblers. although they were going through the motions of those stupid pointless curricula creches seem to have there was very little natural fun or laughter happening. I am gutted for those parents involved and those who'se children were there in the past because I would always wonder if my child had difficulties in teh future could they be related to the creche experience and as a clinician who works with children I know the answer is YES YES YES!!!

So I will be taking my girl out of the creche she is in and it won't be a knee jerk reaction as I have been uncertain from day 1, but having watched this programme I dont think any amount of training or increase in wage will improve the nature/personality of some who are totally unsuitable to working with children and the woman who I hand my girl over to for 2 days a week first thing has not given out a good vibe (even though the other 2 girls are lovely). I can't control which carer my girl gets to spend her time with in there to ensure her happiness so Im now on the search for a good childminder as I have to work full-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Holyjebus

sam30 wrote: »
    I have to say after being horrified and upset by what I would categorize as the ABUSE those children suffered at the hands of their carers (NOT "mishandling, or inappropriate unacceptable behaviour" words bandied around in the media today). I am also dismayed by some of the reactions of posters here. Minimization of what we saw in that footage is dangerous!!!. For example, while checking messages on a phone may seem like a "minor offence" to some people it is telling of the level of interest, care, attention the carers were showing towards those children - children's sense of self and confidence develop only in light of the interest and care shown toward them - so the message that they were receiving throughout the day was that they were a nuisance, shouldn't express themselves, not interesting enough etc etc. They also weren't being monitored!! I am paying through the nose for my child to be safe at the very basic level.

I have my little one in a creche for the past month for 2 days/week .I chose the creche carefully and over a childminder because in my line of work I was aware of trying to minimise the likelyhood of abuse happening and although I had concerns about the attention given and relationships in a creche my first instinct was perhaps safety in numbers!!! How wrong was I! Nobody in the room said anything to those cruel abusive women!

The lack of awareness of the developmental level of an 18 month old also was just SHOCKING!! I had assumed that such workers would have a basic understanding of when a child's ability to understand and reason would kick in and that waiting and sitting for long periods is a couple of years away!

I could go on and on because all I saw was emotional,mental and physical abuse throughout and when that wasn't there I saw a huge lack of interest and care for young adorable fun wobblers. although they were going through the motions of those stupid pointless curricula creches seem to have there was very little natural fun or laughter happening. I am gutted for those parents involved and those who'se children were there in the past because I would always wonder if my child had difficulties in teh future could they be related to the creche experience and as a clinician who works with children I know the answer is YES YES YES!!!

So I will be taking my girl out of the creche she is in and it won't be a knee jerk reaction as I have been uncertain from day 1, but having watched this programme I dont think any amount of training or increase in wage will improve the nature/personality of some who are totally unsuitable to working with children and the woman who I hand my girl over to for 2 days a week first thing has not given out a good vibe (even though the other 2 girls are lovely). I can't control which carer my girl gets to spend her time with in there to ensure her happiness so Im now on the search for a good childminder as I have to work full-time.

+ 100
    I had my two boys in creche until recently, when I decided to take them out and have a loving childminder take care of them instead. The change in them was immediate.
    My 14 month old would scream when I took him into creche and when he saw his minder, his lip would start to tremble and he would cling to me, I knew something wasn't right.
    He is a new little man with his new minder, when he sees her out socially (she is a good friend of my mams) his little face lights up and he runs to her, arms opened!
    My other son is 3 and never minded creche too much but he is the quitest little fella you'd ever meet and I would say he kept the head down all day long and never complained :( But he is a lot happier in the evenings now and full of chat about his day.
    My heart went out to those poor babies and their parents and I thank God that they were uncovered when they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

This was the only post on this thread that brought a smile to my face.... .."Giraffe have some neck"
    Im glad somebody got my attempt at a joke.:) Not that the overall situation is in anyway funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Just spotted this on the Examiner website tonight :eek:

Parents defend quality of child care at Malahide creche

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/parents-defend-quality-of-child-care-at-malahide-creche-595926.html

MrsD007 wrote: »

Well seeing that Mrs Fitzpatrick is also back with her son's killer nothing surprises me.
    I would have had that creche shut today if it was up to me.

Well seeing that Mrs Fitzpatrick is also back with her son's killer nothing surprises me.
    I would have had that creche shut today if it was up to me.
    I think it might be a case of denial :(

I'm struggling to understand the Fitzpatrick case, if someone killed my child, I wouldn't be taking them back, I'd probably be doing time I'd be so angry :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

What is wrong with these people? Its not a case of someone just spreading bad stories around about the creche, they can see it with their own eyes.

I've just watched the program and I feel sick after it! I have a 9 month old and after watching it, I don't want to send him to creche, ever!!! It was absolutely bloody horrendous!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I think it might be a case of denial :(

I'm struggling to understand the Fitzpatrick case, if someone killed my child, I wouldn't be taking them back, I'd probably be doing time I'd be so angry :o

I thought he was released without charge......

A file has been sent to the office of the DPP and he will decide which charges will be put against him.

He admitted killing his step son, he was released without charge but a file has been sent to the DPP.

Knife killing 'unintentional', says father of Amy's stepdad

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/knife-killing-unintentional-says-father-of-amys-stepdad-29300501.html

I think any parent that defends something like that isn't fit to be a parent and there should be serious investigations into the treatment of their children. No wonder there are so many crimes and so much delinquency in inner city areas if these are their earliest memories. Some of these things you wouldn't see in a Romanian orphanage.

How would you like it if in the middle of the day and full of energy you were told you must now go and lie down. And their huge hand was on you forcibly pushing you to lie down, and this fat vicious bitch was shouting into your small ear: "LIE DOWN!!!! :mad: LIE DOWN!!! :mad:" as you tried to get up? Even I was traumatized after watching it last night.

The child picked something up and they snatched it away. The child tried to reach out to eat as natural and they were told no, they must wait for this person to put it into their mouth. I really fear what's going to happen when these children grow up....

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

he said today that it was an accident and he didnt realise he was dead until his father woke him up the following morning. no matter what its very very strange

i am so angry watching this , i have a lump in my throat , if that was my child , i beat her black and blue what a bitch

:( its so sad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Gee_G wrote: »
    What is wrong with these people? Its not a case of someone just spreading bad stories around about the creche, they can see it with their own eyes.

I've just watched the program and I feel sick after it! I have a 9 month old and after watching it, I don't want to send him to creche, ever!!! It was absolutely bloody horrendous!

Not ALL of the workers were 'horrendous' though - just the ones we saw.

Unfair to tarnish them all with the same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Maybe the ones that were not shown on camera at all, but any of the workers that were standing by watching and listening to that crap going on, are just as bad in my opinion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

worrying that there were examples of abuse and cruelty in all but one of the creches filmed. this would suggest that if they filmed in a much wider scale they would also find examples of more abuse

Advertisement