Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leicester Tigers v. Northampton Saints - Premiership Final

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

hype101 wrote: »
    Had the match recorded and looking at the incident in the slowest setting, his claim that he was directing it at Tom Youngs is dubious enough.. He's definitely looking at Barnes when he says the words and then looks down at Youngs just after.. Barnes was in no doubt though.. I'd say he is in trouble

Does anyone know if the panel have any wiggle room to overrule the minimum 6 weeks?

Minimum entry level is 6 weeks, calling a refs integrity into question in a high profile game and receiving a straight red id say will warrant a mid entry which is 8-9 weeks. hately has prob used up all his disciplinary brownie points and his only hope is to try and weasel his way out of it with a "the dog ate my homework" excuse.

really hope that the authorities back Barnes here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I've never heard the word cheat used to describe a referee, but I've heard it tons of times to describe players. I can't imagine he was calling Barnes a cheat. If he was having a go at Barnes he'd probably use the word idiot or something.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,106 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

matthew8 wrote: »
    I've never heard the word cheat used to describe a referee, but I've heard it tons of times to describe players. I can't imagine he was calling Barnes a cheat. If he was having a go at Barnes he'd probably use the word idiot or something.

In the circumstance that immediately preceded the incident, it's completely believable that he used the word cheat to describe the ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Well they didn't for Quinlan, so if there's any consistency then the Lions Tour shouldn't be a factor here either.

Quinlan was the ERC panel. This will be English man judging Englishman.

And as for "wiggle room," they can do whatever they like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Quinlan was the ERC panel. This will be English man judging Englishman.

And as for "wiggle room," they can do whatever they like.

True, but I'm sure they're smart enough to realise the potential fallout if Hartley is let off.

To be honest I think it's too easy to believe he was talking to Youngs. That's why I think they'll let him off.

When I watched it live and they showed him saying it, it's the first thing that came to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

True, but I'm sure they're smart enough to realise the potential fallout if Hartley is let off.

Not wanting to flog a dead horse, but the IRFU did close ranks to save POC's season, so it's hardly unheard of...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

To be honest I think it's too easy to believe he was talking to Youngs. That's why I think they'll let him off.

When I watched it live and they showed him saying it, it's the first thing that came to mind.

If Barnes is adamant and backs it up again post-match (do refs do a match report or something?) how can they go against him? Would look seriously bad from the RFU to directly go against the word of one of their most senior refs

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Has Barnes said anything yet?

Could it be that he didn't think it was at him but had enough of Hartley's opinions and decided his game was done?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

It's definite that Barnes thought he was talking to him, as you can hear him say that over the microphone, however, I'm really struggling to believe that what Hartley said was aimed at Barnes. He was looking at Barnes when he said it, but I don't think he was talking about Barnes. Why would you call the ref a cheat? Doesn't make any sense. I think he's telling the truth when he says he was talking about Tom Youngs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Maybe, just maybe Barnes made an honest mistake. The frothing at the mouth posts for Best to get in by default here are cringeworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Aidric wrote: »
    Maybe, just maybe Barnes made an honest mistake. The frothing at the mouth posts for Best to get in by default here are cringeworthy.

I'd call Strauss sooner than I'd call Best.

Not trolling but IMO Best is past his best. Darts are going to be key against Aus(watch S15 performances of squad locks) and Aus will contest everything.

Best, as much as I love him for Ireland, has had sh!te darts for last 3 years IMO when lineout is challenged and it will be challenged in Aus,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Fairplay to Barnes. I don't want rugby becoming like soccer. There has been a fair amount of abuse of refs in recent times, including from my countrymen, and against my countryman. Hopefully, that sends out a clear message. It's a fact refs make mistakes, but no professional ref deliberately cheats.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Aidric wrote: »

It's definitely not just here, most people (in England/Scotland/Wales) found it an incredible decision in the first place, so when something like this happens this reaction was inevitable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Tox56 wrote: »
    It's definitely not just here, most people (in England/Scotland/Wales) found it an incredible decision in the first place, so when something like this happens this reaction was inevitable

It was a scandalous decision to omit Best in first place, I am one of his biggest fans. As he proved yesterday, he can actually throw a ball, despite the nonsense you would read on here. His throwing is not his greatest quality but it is nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe. In saying all this, I am not certain Hartley will be banned as it could be difficult to prove he called Barnes a cheat. I sincerely hope he is though and Best is called up to redress what was a terrible mistake by Lions management. Best is twice the player Hartley, and 100 times the man Hartley is or ever will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Brewster wrote: »
    It was a scandalous decision to omit Best in first place, I am one of his biggest fans. As he proved yesterday, he can actually throw a ball, despite the nonsense you would read on here. His throwing is not his greatest quality but it is nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe. In saying all this, I am not certain Hartley will be banned as it could be difficult to prove he called Barnes a cheat. I sincerely hope he is though and Best is called up to redress what was a terrible mistake by Lions management. Best is twice the player Hartley, and 100 times the man Hartley is or ever will be.

Quite right. Tom Youngs for example is worse than Best. He had the worst l/o record in the 6 Ns and apparently was sh1t yesterday. While I find the strident calls for Best to replace Hartley unsporting before we know the outcome of any inquiry, Best should have been selected ahead of both of the English hookers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

jacothelad wrote: »
    Quite right. Tom Youngs for example is worse than Best. He had the worst l/o record in the 6 Ns and apparently was sh1t yesterday. While I find the strident calls for Best to replace Hartley unsporting before we know the outcome of any inquiry, Best should have been selected ahead of both of the English hookers.
    To fair, up to the time of the selections Best had been having a run of pretty poor form whereas Youngs and Hartley were both going well.

They said it was a tight call and I suspect that form was the main arbiter. A month or so on I'd say it's a different pecking order and now with Hartley's self destruction, it's probably going to mean Best will travel.

Although Richardt Strauss put his hand up pretty convincingly yesterday ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

trouttrout wrote: »
    IMO he def said it to Barnes, would make no sense for him to say it to Youngs

Also, what the hell was Marler at

Makes no sense to me for him to say it to Barnes.
    A 'cheating' ref makes no sense. He might think a ref made a mistake, or is favouring th opposition or whatever. But cheating is just wrong in this context.
    Calling one of the opposition a cheat has more logic to it.

I can see him being let off on this one. And think probably he should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Tox56 wrote: »

I kind of agree with Aidric's sentiment though. I find it hard, personally, to revel in the fact someone's once-in-a-career dream probably lies in tatters, whether someone else deserved to go over them or not. That's heartbreaking for anyone. Allegedly Hartley's a sound fellow off the pitch.

That said he brought it on himself. No place in the game for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Guardian sport ‏@guardian_sport 1m
    Dylan Hartley out of Lions tour after receiving 11-week ban. More details soon …

So Hartley will miss the Lions tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

The incident as it happened:

Barnes said "The game must restart, you can't kick it straight out" or words to that effect, Myler then goes to kick it into touch after a bounce, and Barnes says no. Leicester take a scrum and after the collapse, Hartley gets red carded.

• Administrators Posts: 53,450 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Really scraping the barrel to try and claim that Barnes instructions were unclear.

clear as day for me and myler fully understood as evident by the stupid little kick he attempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭canine

Ya ,thats fairly conclusive for me ,Barnes instructions were clear ,made the correct decision re scrum ,Hartley definitely meant comments for Barnes ,to suggest they were meant for Youngs is schoolyard stuff

awec wrote: »
    clear as day for me and myler fully understood as evident by the stupid little kick he attempted.
    Well in fairness the first thing Myler did after kicking it was run over to Barnes looking confused!

I do think there was confusion there. Not like it excuses Hartley or anything, but there was absolutely confusion amongst the Northampton players and they showed that (I was watching live and it is absolutely what happened).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The only thing that I can think of is that when Myler heard he couldn't kick it straight into touch he must have thought it meant the ball had to bounce or touch the ground before going into touch.
    "I certainly wouldn't go and ask him (Barnes) what I was allowed to do, and then do something completely opposite," he told the Northampton Chronicle.

"And he's not going to tell me I can do something when I can't. So there has been some kind of confusion somewhere along the line.

"I was aware the ball couldn't go out on the full. I knew it was time, but I just wanted to know when the half would finish.

"And it was a case of that I knew I couldn't just turn and kick it out, I knew the ball had to cross the line. I didn't want to blast the ball into the stand and intentionally hoof the ball off the field which I am not allowed to do.

"So there is some kind of fault with the interpretation, whether it's me, the team or what, I don't know.

"But it is history now I guess."
    http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3823_8735864,00.html

Ah so he thought he could kick it out, but it had to cross the 22. I can understand what he was doing then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Did Myler think the ball had to bounce before it went out and just miss hit the kick?

That would hav been ok wouldn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Statement from the RFU read: “... suspension...reduced by one week to reflect his good conduct at the hearing."

No swearing at the hearing then. Fair play to him. Worth rewarding his self control efforts with that 1 week reduction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Did Myler think the ball had to bounce before it went out and just miss hit the kick?

That would hav been ok wouldn't it?

Yes, it has to hit the ground or a player.

Advertisement