Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast & Furious 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

Truly enjoyed it, my auntie brought me to see the first one when I was 11, hooked ever since. It was a beautiful tribute to Paul at the end. If you didn't know it was CGI for Paul's unfinished scenes, you wouldn't be able to tell. Hats off to the special effects team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

e_e wrote: »
    I was smiling so much in every scene with Hobbs, such an absurd character but so so brilliant for this series and played perfectly by Dwayne Johnson.

"I am the cavalry."

I was laughing at a lot of this movie, and I do mean 'at'. Does Vin Diesel know how ridiculous these films are?

All that said the send off to Paul was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I watched this because I'd heard a few people say it was OK. I guess you have to be into this kind of thing to get it, I thought it was a farce from beginning to end. There's nothing in the film, no danger or suspense because every action scene is just there to make the lead character's look good.

I like ludacris films like iron sky, but this film just made no effort whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

ScumLord wrote: »
    I like ludacris films like iron sky, but this film just made no effort whatsoever.

Didn't realise ludacris was in iron sky :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I had never seen a Fast & Furious movie before seeing part 5 in my mates house one night. It just came on and we let it play. Honestly I was shocked to find that I enjoyed it, thought it'd be fcuking terrible. I dont think I saw number 6? But I've secretly been looking forward to number 7. Gonna go this weekend. Its made 250 million in the states alone over just 2 weeks.......thats insane. Usually by that stage in a franchise(thats not harry potter or lord of the rings) the films are straight to DVD and dont even get a crack at theatres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 djspunky

Just saw it, it was loads of fun!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I've never seen any of the others but had a great time laughing away at the absurdity in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

tunguska wrote: »
    Its made 250 million in the states alone over just 2 weeks.......thats insane. Usually by that stage in a franchise(thats not harry potter or lord of the rings) the films are straight to DVD and dont even get a crack at theatres.

It's tally this morning was $800.5m in 12 days. Avengers 2 is out in 10 days which will slow it down considerably, but I think it's realistic that it'll do $1.1 - $1.2billion globally. It's budget was €190m, probably another €130m in marketing costs. It'll probably make a €300m profit for universal after distribution/exhibition costs etc are added.

Interestingly most of the seemingly fantastical stunts weren't cgi in this but were practical instead.

Big year for movies, I'd expect to see at least four do a billion dollars this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,094 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

tunguska wrote: »
    I had never seen a Fast & Furious movie before seeing part 5 in my mates house one night. It just came on and we let it play. Honestly I was shocked to find that I enjoyed it, thought it'd be fcuking terrible. I dont think I saw number 6? But I've secretly been looking forward to number 7. Gonna go this weekend. Its made 250 million in the states alone over just 2 weeks.......thats insane. Usually by that stage in a franchise(thats not harry potter or lord of the rings) the films are straight to DVD and dont even get a crack at theatres.

F&F franchise got better as it went on and I think 7 was always going to do well with Walker's untimely death to see how his character Brian would exit

I think with 5 onwards it seems like a new franchise

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think with 5 onwards it seems like a new franchise

Agreed. They accepted how ridiculous everything was and instead of focusing on trying to make it real, they just embraced it. The films just keep getting more and more ridiculous, but once you accept that, they're just so much fun to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This was my first Fast & Furious film and will probably be the last. I went in with an open mind and expecting the overboard action everyone keeps saying typifies the latter films, but even with those promises I found it all very limp and cackhanded. The OTT action was often too cartoonish to possess any tension or a sense of physicality that I think makes for good action scenes; and why the hell would you hire someone like Tony Jaa to then obscure his talent behind constant. frigging. quick-cuts. I am so very sick of that fad; Paul Greengrass has a lot to answer for. The soundtrack was obnoxious (to someone who hates that style of hip-hop mind you, or whatever genre more accurately describes), and I never thought I'd say this but if I see another gratuitous butt shot in a film it'll be a million years too soon.

I didn't really warm to the group either: the banter wasn't particularly funny and Vin Diesel... yeesh. I mean sure, I love the Riddick films, even the much-maligned Chronicles of Riddick, but the man has almost zero charisma as a leading man and the films could do with him walking into the sunset alongside Paul Walkers (RIP) character. Dwayne Johnson on the other hand has charisma to burn and deserved more screentime, and better roles at that. He deserves better than the likes of Hercules.

Just not quite my tempo. Now Mad Max, which trailered before F&F7, that looks much more like the kind of vehicular carnage I hope to see on-screen :)

In all fairness, it was pretty woeful. From the gratuitous shots of lady parts, to the horrible product placement (there could have been a huge honking noise at the Corona sequence), and the horrible horrible camera movement (I felt dizzy with the amount of time it swung around for no reason), and surprisingly badly filmed fight sequences, especially given the calibre of fighters they had. Dwayne Johnson vs Jason Statham should have been amazing, but it wasn't, it really wasn't.

And parts that just didn't make sense.
    There's a drone flying around blowing **** up. That sequence where the cops are still chasing after Vin Diesel despite the drone blowing everything up

You know it's a bad sign when there's what is supposed to be one of the main fight sequences and I kept thinking, "who is driving the bus?"

Now, I doubt this is a spoiler as its obvious, but the homage to Walker at the end was surprisingly touching.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/431123-furious-7-crosses-1-billion-worldwide-in-just-17-days
    Universal Pictures today announced that with Friday’s theatrical grosses, Furious 7 will cross $1 billion at the worldwide box office. Continuing to break records at every turn, Furious 7 marks Universal’s first film to achieve $1 billion during its initial release, with 1993’s Jurassic Park having reached $1.044 billion after the 3D re-release in 2013. With total global grosses estimated at $1.009 billion through today, Furious 7 has earned an estimated $735.2 million overseas in 17 days and an estimated $273.7 million in North America after 15 days.

Furious 7’s 17 day climb to $1 billion marks a new record for the fastest film to reach that milestone (The Avengers, Avatar and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 crossed $1 billion in 19 days). The only original live-action film franchise to achieve this magnitude of box office success, Furious 7 has propelled the “Fast & Furious” series past $3 billion worldwide ($3.392 billion).

I keep waiting for John, Finch or Root to show up :p

Anyone else think Kurt Russell's character was going turn out to be daddy Shaw or an associate of Deckard

Dumb fun, highly enjoyable but needed more Hobbs, very touching ending for Brian/Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I went to see this movie tonight and I went because I was with friends and they wanted to see it. Anyways this was the worst movie I have ever seen,I have no second thoughts about saying this, dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Anyone else think Kurt Russell's character was going turn out to be daddy Shaw or an associate of Deckard

Dumb fun, highly enjoyable but needed more Hobbs, very touching ending for Brian/Paul

Yeah i was sure he was going to screw them all.

Him pulling the corona out for vin diesel was priceless

Wat a ridiculous, mindless film but great fun. As others have said, where can they go from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

JP Liz V1 wrote:
    I keep waiting for John, Finch or Root to show up

I would pay a lot of money to watch that crossover!!

"Mr Toretto, before you drive that car through three skyscrapers, I'd like to remind you that we're trying to keep a low profile."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

These numbers are on the back of Paul Walker's death tbh. That film would always do well, but not that well only for it. Sad but true.

It's a bad sign when Iron Giant or Groot are Vin Diesel's better performances.

Wiz Khalifa's single hitting No. 1 everywhere too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

You are being watched...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I thought it was a surprisingly good film, it's outlandish and ridiculous beyond words but it all just works - from the very get go the film doesn't pretend to be anything other than just that. Jason Statham's role as Deckard definitely contributed to the films charm, and the tribute to Paul Walker at the end was more moving than I would have imagined it could be.

One of the better value cinema tickets I've purchased over the past 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I thought it was a surprisingly good film, it's outlandish and ridiculous beyond words but it all just works - from the very get go the film doesn't pretend to be anything other than just that. Jason Statham's role as Deckard definitely contributed to the films charm, and the tribute to Paul Walker at the end was more moving than I would have imagined it could be.

One of the better value cinema tickets I've purchased over the past 12 months.

Have to agree. I thought the ending was fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Dempsey wrote: »
    These numbers are on the back of Paul Walker's death tbh. That film would always do well, but not that well only for it. Sad but true.

I think that's an unfair comment to be honest. There were undoubtedly a good few who might have gone to see it to see how they handled his death/filming etc, but the F&F films have been on a huge rise, and with the excellent reviews the film was getting both before and shortly after its release, I don't think there are that many who went to see it who wouldn't already have been going to see it regardless of Walker's death or not.

Bad Horse wrote: »
    I think that's an unfair comment to be honest. There were undoubtedly a good few who might have gone to see it to see how they handled his death/filming etc, but the F&F films have been on a huge rise, and with the excellent reviews the film was getting both before and shortly after its release, I don't think there are that many who went to see it who wouldn't already have been going to see it regardless of Walker's death or not.

I believe there is another 2 or 3 in the pipeline aswell

Bad Horse wrote: »

There's easily $200m directly attributed to Walker. If you look at the gross in the history of them, the only one that went down was 3, everything else makes more than the last. FF6 made over $800m but that's the full length of the run. This has about another two to three weeks left in it. After that, about €250m is attributable to Walker
    Reggie. wrote: »
    I believe there is another 2 or 3 in the pipeline aswell

They've committed to ten in total.

I'm guessing we'll see a decline in gross from here on out, but I'd say the next one will come close.

OU812 wrote: »
    There's easily $200m directly attributed to Walker. If you look at the gross in the history of them, the only one that went down was 3, everything else makes more than the last. FF6 made over $800m but that's the full length of the run. This has about another two to three weeks left in it. After that, about €250m is attributable to Walker

They've committed to ten in total.

I'm guessing we'll see a decline in gross from here on out, but I'd say the next one will come close.
    Be interesting to see how they write Paul out

Reggie. wrote: »
    Be interesting to see how they write Paul out

He "retired" to be with his family.

I read something recently that said they still have enough footage & dialogue Combined with the technology jump in terms of finishing his scenes to have him in a minor cameo type role in the next one, wether they do or not, who knows

OU812 wrote: »
    He "retired" to be with his family.

I read something recently that said they still have enough footage & dialogue Combined with the technology jump in terms of finishing his scenes to have him in a minor cameo type role in the next one, wether they do or not, who knows

You could see how his family was a big thing in the last film alright. As you said lining it up for him to retire

• Advertisement

As long as they are making a billion dollars a movie this will go on forever. why would they stop?, the only purpose for it is to make loads of cash its not done for any artisitic reason. Each new generation of 12 and 13 year olds will prop the ratings up and buy the merchandise. My prediction for Fast and the Furious 20 is it somewhere in space after earth runs out of road.

Advertisement