Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Cyclists Pay Road Tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

HurtLocker wrote: »
    Maybe something small like €5 a year to cycle during rush hour in city's and issue registrations plates to bikes cycling during these hours and streets to report dangerous cycling such as red light breaking.

OMG. This is so stupid! Do you want these cyclists to drive instead in rush hourand make traffic worse? Idiot. Plus cyclists cannot be charged to use the roads only motor vehicles can. Idiot.

I dont drive so i think i can stand on my own to feet and i also pay my taxes,
    There is more and more people ever before using push bikes all looking for a free ride on everybodys else's back, you dont get nothing for free in this world and if ya want to keep using that push bike your going to have to pay you way.

Explain please.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Seaneh wrote: »
    They are practically all shared bus and cycle lanes, genius.

There are several areas which have bus lanes and cycle lanes separated at sections...good to see you have the cyclist w*nker attitude down genius.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

We need an idiot tax, and to solve all our financial woes revenue should start with running the query endacl kindly provided and they'll handily have the majority gathered all in the one place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

There is more and more people ever before using push bikes all looking for a free ride on everybodys else's back, you dont get nothing for free in this world and if ya want to keep using that push bike your going to have to pay you way.

See, I do pay my way.

cyclists pay VAT on their bike and accessories. This, along with your incom tax, vat, government levys etc.

Cyclists offer far more value for money to the government than motorists do.

Cyclists do not damage road surfaces, motorists do. Motorists even cause more €'s in damages than they pay in motor tax.

So before you start pontificating about people paying their way, target the people who actually cost the most, when motorists pay enough to cover the damage they do and smokers pay enough to cover the cost of treating their diseases, then you can target cyclists for costing the government pennies per head for terribly "designed" cycle paths and pointless broken white lines in the middle of a shared bus and cycle lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Turtyturd wrote: »
    There are several areas which have bus lanes and cycle lanes separated at sections...good to see you have the cyclist w*nker attitude down genius.:rolleyes:
    Any figures on what percentage of total road distance in the country have these lanes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Turtyturd wrote: »

Give me an example so.

G'wan, give me 5 examples of roads with seperate bus and cycle lanes?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

No. As stated already, bicycles reduce congestion and pollution.

Also, they dont cause damage to the road surfaces so reduce the costs of maintaining the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

But the use of bicycles saves a huge amount of money, so what exactly are cyclists supposed to pay?

Do you honestly think the cost of painting a few lines on roads for cycle-lanes costs more than the reduced wear and tear on the road from fewer cars, the reduced health-care costs from a healthier, more active populace, the improved balance of trade due to the reduction in oil imports, the reduced congestion, reduced air and noise pollution and all the other benefits associated with increased rates of cycling.

As for requiring cyclists to have insurance as someone mentioned a while back, that'd be hugely counter productive because the more people cycling the fewer people you'll have dying in traffic accidents and of things like heart disease and diabetes. Imposing a mandatory insurance scheme on cyclists would discourage cycling which would in turn increase mortality rates as well as the cost of health and motor insurance and you'd have to create a whole raft of regulation and registration for cyclists and their bikes which would cost the tax-payer money and waste precious garda resources.

• Advertisement

As in all these threads this needs to be postedy

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Damokc

Could somebody link the post where it says "It's not road tax, it's motor tax"

Damokc wrote: »

OMG. You are a retard.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sorry. I held off as long as a could. Here's some commas and stuff. Use them well. Use them wisely. I'll be able to take your posts seriously then.

Damokc wrote: »

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/welcome.do;jsessionid=0aa0114830d7328b55281dfa46b2b6f38d10029c1def.e38PaNaSbhuOay0LaNqLe0

Or just google motor tax.

Retard

Pontificating...what the **** do smokers have to do with motor tax. listen if you want to use the road your going to have to pay to use it just like everybody else one way or another this goverment is going to suck it from you.

I do pay to use the roads, everyone does, even pedestrians (shock horror!).

Do you think motor tax actually covers the cost of providing and maintaining our transport infrastructure? Get a clue. Everyone, through every piece of tax they pay, contributes to the cost of our roads. Motorists contribute LESS through motor tax than the COST in damage.

When they "pay their way" then get back to me, yeah? Sound.

Now lie down peckle, you're getting fierce wound up about somehting you don't even understand.

And smokers were another example (like motorists) of people who make choices which cost far more than they contribute and are then subsidised by the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Stephen-mx3

Cyclists should absolutely pay road tax. They use the road as much as real drivers.

It's like daylight robbery that lot not paying it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Pontificating...what the **** do smokers have to do with motor tax. listen if you want to use the road your going to have to pay to use it just like everybody else one way or another this goverment is going to suck it from you.

I do pay to use it. Just like everybody else.

Cyclists should absolutely pay road tax. They use the road as much as real drivers.

As a 'real driver' who cycles..... what's your point?

And those eejits in cars use roads nearly as much as real cyclists.

• Advertisement

nobody aksed asked you to take anything seriously.
    :rolleyes:
    FYP No charge.

;)

endacl wrote: »
    As a 'real driver' who cycles..... what's your point?

I thought I made my point?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Should pedestrians? How about little kids on trikes and their bikes, should they also pay?

nobody aksed you to take anything seriously.
    :rolleyes:

Good, because your posts are like really bad comedy.

ezra_pound wrote: »
    And those eejits in cars use roads nearly as much as real cyclists.

Eejits? That's a bit harsh.

Anyway, you shouldn't be on the road. Foot-powered vehicles should be on the foot path, but I don't hold that against you, that's the government's fault I guess. :rolleyes:

Well we have more of a legal right to use those roads than drivers so there. Na na Nana na

Should pedestrians? How about little kids on trikes and their bikes, should they also pay?

All of the above do not use our roads.

Eejits? That's a bit harsh.

Anyway, you shouldn't be on the road. Foot-powered vehicles should be on the foot path, but I don't hold that against you, that's the government's fault I guess. :rolleyes:

You are less than clueless.

Should pedestrians?
    Absolutely. By shoe size times weight.

• Advertisement

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Well we have more of a legal right to use those roads than drivers so there. Na na Nana na

Please explain

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement