Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today is friday topic: Who has right of way?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

Spook_ie wrote: »

Now direct yourself to the question, if the driver of the car had been as belligerent in that situation as the cyclist was in his "melt down " video can you now see the similarities and realise the irony of his posting the "melt down" video at all rather than pulling into the kerb and encouraging the motorist out of her wrongful road positioning

The black car moved over to the left to facilitate the cyclist's progress. He didn't have to, but did so out of courtesy, since he wasn't going anywhere anyway. That's exactly what the lady in her car should have done, simply, with the difference that in her situation, this was the required thing to do. She had ample space to do so, without requiring the cyclist to mount the kerb. And to answer your question, if the black Renault didn't want to pull over, then I guess the cyclist would have been forced to wait behind the car. Where's the big deal?

And looking at the broader picture, he could have posted as many videos of himself as he wants, doing the most atrocious things, it changes nothing to the fact that she was clearly in the wrong. Call him belligerent, the fact is that he had any right to feel angry at her in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

enas wrote: »
    The black car moved over to the left to facilitate the cyclist's progress. He didn't have to, but did so out of courtesy, since he wasn't going anywhere anyway. That's exactly what the lady in her car should have done, simply, with the difference that in her situation, this was the required thing to do. She had ample space to do so, without requiring the cyclist to mount the kerb. And to answer your question, if the black Renault didn't want to pull over, then I guess the cyclist would have been forced to wait behind the car. Where's the big deal?

And looking at the broader picture, he could have posted as many videos of himself as he wants, doing the most atrocious things, it changes nothing to the fact that she was clearly in the wrong. Call him belligerent, the fact is that he had any right to feel angry at her in this situation.

Y'see I'm not actually defending the women in the original video just merely pointing out that as a courtesy he could have just as easily slowed to a crawl and cycled past instead of belligerently laying claim to his right of way and escalating the situation. The "big deal" is that he does differently from what he expects of other road users as regards courtesy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

1 The driver is going to mount the footpath to get past the traffic obstructing the road ( Yes illegally )
    If he is, he won't get anywhere with that.
    2 The driver is moving to the left to facilitate our hero the cyclist
    Not my hero, far from it. I suspect the driver is facilitating the cars, giving them slightly more room in an already crowded situation, it's doubtful he wished to stay in the dead centre with traffic approaching and making forward movement nigh on impossible.

There is little net movement of traffic, the cars oncoming are clearly stopped or as good as. I didn't see a white line either until the divide at the junction.

I don't like the guy who makes the videos attitudes but in this scenario I don't think there is much to give out about, he is not obstructing anyone, and is progressing slowly and with caution.

Not defending him, I still think his other videos show him to be an angry so and so but in this scenario, I'd possibly have either done the same or undertook if there was space and traffic was stationary/slow.

Truthfully, the only people in the wrong in this video are those heading towards the junction and are beside the parked cars, it should be treated, on a two way street, as an implied yellow box, no one should be sitting there unless they can clear the area, but lets face it, if they did do this, the guys behind them would overtake stupidly to jump the queue.

TL:DR - there shouldn't be car park spaces there, while there is, stupid decisions will be made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

No the black car should have stopped right in the middle of the lane which is were he would have been able to if our hero hadn't been milling it down the wrong side of a solid white line, but of course you know that.

So the question remains the similarity between the two videos is that in one our hero is belligerent and demanding his right of way and in the other he's belligerent and forcing other vehicles out of their lane to facilitate his own desires...

Except that isn't what happens there.

The cyclist doesn't mill down the wrong side. Hes stays behind the golf, matching speed. He doesn't go around the golf, until long after the red car is in frame. The red car and the black car have stopped moving long before he pulls around the golf. The red car pulls into the kerb when the cyclist is not overtaking, and is 4 or 5 cars back.

You're just making things up to rant about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Did you guys see the video where he would not pull over to let emergency services by?

• Advertisement

Does anyone want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

gallag wrote: »
    Did you guys see the video where he would not pull over to let emergency services by?
    Contextual, innit? For a start, there's no legal obligation to do so, but also in many situation it makes sense to simply stay the course and just ease up on your speed rather than make odd manouvers to accommodate emergency services.
    ES drivers prefer people to drive predictably more than they like people to get out of their way.

I've no real interest in seeing the video in any case. It's very typical of any discussion of these sorts that the flashlight always turns on the "reporter", trying to point out their flaws. We all make mistakes. That doesn't mean we're hypocrites for calling out others on theirs.

The guard even shouted "footpath" at him, surely it adds context, if this guy is militant enough to stay in the middle of the bus lane forcing the emergency services to slow and swerve around him then I dont know, surely its easy to get of the road until they have safely past? On the vid he has loads of time, he hears the sirens and slows down, takes the centre of the bus lane which the emergency services were using and refuses to budge. Is that defendable?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

Do you have a link to the video? I can't be bothered watching all of the guys videos to find the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

The guard even shouted "footpath" at him, surely it adds context, if this guy is militant enough to stay in the middle of the bus lane forcing the emergency services to slow and swerve around him then I dont know, surely its easy to get of the road until they have safely past? On the vid he has loads of time, he hears the sirens and slows down, takes the centre of the bus lane which the emergency services were using and refuses to budge. Is that defendable?

Absolutly not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭denisor

BostonB wrote: »
    Does anyone want to.

Yes I do, can someone post a link?

denisor wrote: »
    Yes I do, can someone post a link?

I don't have that link. But this guy is clearly mental: he shouts at people instead of minding his own business: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpZzKMGCTFk And not only he militantly takes the lane, pretending he is a proper road tax paying car, but he even tries to use the Luas track, pretending he is a tram: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK839fIUE1I

And the point is? I don't know, the thread has become pretty pointless I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I don't have that link. But this guy is clearly mental: he shouts at people instead of minding his own business: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpZzKMGCTFk And not only he militantly takes the lane, pretending he is a proper road tax paying car, but he even tries to use the Luas track, pretending he is a tram: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK839fIUE1I

And the point is? I don't know, the thread has become pretty pointless I have to say.

Oh no please tell me he didn't say Road Tax in a cycling forum :)

I don't have that link. But this guy is clearly mental....

Hes like a band who make a couple of good songs, then ruin it by producing loads of dire songs.

buffalo wrote: »
    254404.jpg
    Looks like the legs of a stick man
    WARNING: there is something down that street that you'll only find between a persons legs :pac:
    Haven't seen the video, so I can't comment, if its true, I hope someone got a copy of it before it was taken down, disobeying the directions of a garda is illegal while on the road, but is something that can be argued in context after the event if you feel it necessary.

EDIT: Wrote a big long piece on blocking emergency vechicles and my feeling s on it, it is too long and will start a whole new argument.

long story short, if you block an emergency vechicle on purpose you should be charged (I know its not illegal) and anyone who claims they did not see/did not notice, should have their right to use the road removed, until retrained, as if they have that little observation skills they are a danger to them selves and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Kudos to the OP on this thread, can't believe its still going. Another 2 days and they will get 2 Fridays out of it!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

No the black car should have stopped right in the middle of the lane which is were he would have been able to if our hero hadn't been milling it down the wrong side of a solid white line, but of course you know that.

So the question remains the similarity between the two videos is that in one our hero is belligerent and demanding his right of way and in the other he's belligerent and forcing other vehicles out of their lane to facilitate his own desires...

Sorry but I think you are stretching this just a teensy bit. He's not milling it anywhere - he's filtering slowly past a traffic jam.

Yes he does go on the wrong side of a solid line - he shouldn't have - he should have probably stopped behind or beside the last car he could see that was signalling left.

In any case he did stay behind the car at the top of the queue and let them complete their turn without interference. A courtesy that many cyclists rarely display and that some motorists would not grant a cyclist either.

I don't think you are going anywhere with the allegation that he is forcing other vehicles out of their lane.

Edit Youtube link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTKjcUIq0NA&feature=youtu.be

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

CramCycle wrote: »
    Looks like the legs of a stick man
    WARNING: there is something down that street that you'll only find between a persons legs :pac:

Haven't seen the video, so I can't comment, if its true, I hope someone got a copy of it before it was taken down, disobeying the directions of a garda is illegal while on the road, but is something that can be argued in context after the event if you feel it necessary.

EDIT: Wrote a big long piece on blocking emergency vechicles and my feeling s on it, it is too long and will start a whole new argument.

long story short, if you block an emergency vechicle on purpose you should be charged (I know its not illegal) and anyone who claims they did not see/did not notice, should have their right to use the road removed, until retrained, as if they have that little observation skills they are a danger to them selves and others.

He didn't block anything and he didn't disobey the orders of a gardai.

He left the lane right of him free, they didn't have to "swerve" or "slow down" to pass him, they just drove around him. He couldn't have known what lane they were in until they were on top of him and they were all past him in the space of about 2 seconds.

And he didn't have a clue what the the one word "order" the gardai shouted at him in passing until he got home and watched the video, it was just chance that the mic picked up up.

People will just look for sticks to beat people with when they have an angle to try and advance.

Seaneh wrote: »

He left the lane right of him free, they didn't have to "swerve" or "slow down" to pass him, they just drove around him. He couldn't have known what lane they were in until they were on top of him and they were all past him in the space of about 2 seconds.

And he didn't have a clue what the the one word "order" the gardai shouted at him in passing until he got home and watched the video, it was just chance that the mic picked up up.

People will just look for sticks to beat people with when they have an angle to try and advance.

This is false, all traffic was in the right hand lane, the emergency services were using the bus lane, our hero cyclist was also using the bus lane, the emergency services had to slow and go round him, why else would the guard shout footpath at him? Also he had plenty of time to react, it was a straight section of road and the sirens were audible a long time before the emergency services had to manoeuvre around him. Also how did you know he did not understand what the guard said, he did not make reference to this in the comments?

• Advertisement

This is false, all traffic was in the right hand lane, the emergency services were using the bus lane, our hero cyclist was also using the bus lane, the emergency services had to slow and go round him, why else would the guard shout footpath at him? Also he had plenty of time to react, it was a straight section of road and the sirens were audible a long time before the emergency services had to manoeuvre around him.

So the lane to the right of him wasn't empty beside him? really? Are you sure about that? How long did it take for the entire 3 vehicle convoy to pass him, 2 maybe 3 seconds?

Also, are you sure they were always in the bus lane? how did they get past the bus that wasn't all that far behind him so? Do you think they might not have been using both lanes?
    What about the bus that is in the distance ahead of him?

Do you not think it makes more sense for all traffic to pull left, like they do in the US and other countries, and leave the centre of the road free until the ESV's pass? Is that not the logical thing to do? Seeing as he was already in the left lane, what do you expect him to do?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, in this case, the law is an ass, all traffic should be required to pull to the side of the road (or as close as possible) and stop leaving the centre of the road clear until the ESV's are past them, as is the case in other countries.

And again, how is there any way in hell he could have heard the one word a Garda, with a full face helmet, going past him, in traffic, at speed, on a wet and windy night, could have shouted at him?

Seriously, take your axe away from the grindstone there ted, you're just looking for something to bitch about.

Also how did you know he did not understand what the guard said, he did not make reference to this in the comments?

He said so in the comments of the youtube video.

Something to the effect of "I hadn't a clue what he shouted at me until I watched the video back".

So the lane to the right of him wasn't empty beside him? really? Are you sure about that? How long did it take for the entire 3 vehicle convoy to pass him, 2 maybe 3 seconds?

Also, are you sure they were always in the bus lane? how did the get pass the bus that wasn't all that far behind him so? Do you think they might not have been using both lanes?
    What about the bus that is in the distance ahead of him?

Do you not think it makes more sense for all traffic to pull left, like they do in the US and other countries, and leave the centre of the road free until the ESV's pass? Is that not the logical thing to do? Seeing as he was already in the left lane, what do you expect him to do?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, in this case, the law is an ass, all traffic should be required to pull to the side of the road (or as close as possible) and stop leaving the centre of the road clear until the ESV's are past them, as is the case in other countries.

And again, how is there any way in hell he could have heard the one word a Garda, with a full face helmet, going past him, in traffic, at speed, on a wet and windy night, could have shouted at him?

Seriously, take your axe away from the grindstone there ted, you're just looking for something to bitch about.

Yes the right hand lane was full of traffic and yes the emergency services were trying to pass him on the bus lane, this makes sence, why would the emergency services wait on every car moving to the bus lane when then can just use the bus lane? Why would the guard have instructed him to move if he was not in the way? I have no axe to grind, I already said I believed he was correct in the original video, but you obviously have an agenda by trying to defend this???

I haven't seen the video either but if he does nothing wrong in it then why did he feel the need to take it down?

He seems to be all about educating people about what he feels whats right and wrong. He then punishes offenders
    by showing their actions on YouTube including shouting out their reg numbers and slowing down the videos so viewers get a good look at faces to make them as identifiable as possible to the public. He also regularly calls people 'wagons', 'idiots' and other names. I think he sees himself as the judge, jury and executioner. I have no problem with people taking video and handing it to the guards or insurance companies if an accident or offence is committed.

If he is going to do this naming and shaming the least he can do is leave the videos of his own questionable behaviour up so the viewers can judge him too. Anything else smacks of hypocrisy.

PCX wrote: »
    I haven't seen the video either but if he does nothing wrong in it then why did he feel the need to take it down?

Because it's his account, his videos, his life, and he does what he wants with all of that? Or does he need other people's approval?

Here's a better answer. Because he's dead pissed off by all those negative comments? He took down the OP video too, do you think he feels he did something wrong there too, or don't you think he's just getting pissed off by all the crap you can read here and there? Some of the thing I've read, including here, borders on cyber bullying. I can surely imagine that he feel shaken by all that.

Because it's his account, his videos, his life, and he does what he wants with all of that? Or does he need other people's approval?

Here's a better answer. Because he's dead pissed off by all those negative comments? He took down the OP video too, do you think he feels he did something wrong there too, or don't you think he's just getting pissed off by all the crap you can read here and there? Some of the thing I've read, including here, borders on cyber bullying. I can surely imagine that he feel shaken by all that.

Does he care about any bullying (cyber or otherwise) the people he tries so hard to identify in his other videos might suffer. No obviously.

Like I said, I haven't seen it, that said if he didn't see them until they were right on top of him, it hints at poor situational awareness (almost every type of traffic has a large subgroup who have none of this), without the video though it is hard to pass comment.
    It would, they even had a great ad about it in the UK with a EMT talking through why you should do it. The problem here is poor road user education, it was never mentioned to me at any stage by a driving instructor or the tester, my Dad and common sense tolsd me but I lived in the UK for years as well. If the ES vehicles are already using the bus lane because heavy traffic would not pull over though, there is not much can be done. That said as soon as he noticed the vehicles (and he may have done this) he should pull into the left and lift his bike onto the kerb while stationary. He can then get back on the road when they have passed.
    Yes the right hand lane was full of traffic and yes the emergency services were trying to pass him on the bus lane, this makes sence, why would the emergency services wait on every car moving to the bus lane when then can just use the bus lane? Why would the guard have instructed him to move if he was not in the way? I have no axe to grind, I already said I believed he was correct in the original video, but you obviously have an agenda by trying to defend this???
    That traffic should have all moved into the bus lane as soon as the blue lights came on, they didn't hence they had to use the bus lane. One of the reasons for this is that traffic will still move at the front and pull in as they see the ES vehicle approaching, therefore it should not be stalled by Buses and PSVs etc. that have no where to go. I always pull up to the side, it lets cars pull in to let the ES vehicle by, they may not do it as quick if they see me pedalling along the bus lane, in case they need to flag an Ambulance down.

That said, until someone puts up the video, it is unfair to make coment on him specifically.

PCX wrote: »
    Does he care about any bullying (cyber or otherwise) the people he tries so hard to identify in his other videos might suffer. No obviously.

Couldn't that be the reason why he took down the "I'm a woman on my own" video? Who knows? I don't, obviously, and no one here does. You're all just speculating, desperately trying to look something to bitch about. But we're going round in circles here, so I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

CramCycle wrote: »
    That traffic should have all moved into the bus lane as soon as the blue lights came on, they didn't hence they had to use the bus lane. One of the reasons for this is that traffic will still move at the front and pull in as they see the ES vehicle approaching, therefore it should not be stalled by Buses and PSVs etc. that have no where to go. I always pull up to the side, it lets cars pull in to let the ES vehicle by, they may not do it as quick if they see me pedalling along the bus lane, in case they need to flag an Ambulance down.

Im not sure it makes any difference, nor could he have known at the time, but AFAIK it was a ministerial/VIP convoy, not an Ambulance/Fire brigade.

• Advertisement

droidus wrote: »
    Im not sure it makes any difference, nor could he have known at the time, but AFAIK it was a ministerial/VIP convoy, not an Ambulance/Fire brigade.

See, hence the need for a video, was there a Garda Jockey at the front, normally they lead these and direct with hand actions to other vehicles and pre block junctions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement