Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today is friday topic: Who has right of way?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

The guy on the bike is a 100% tosser, and so is the guy in the passat behind who goes 'good on you man'.

Going around with a camera excatly like this so he can confront people. He needs to get over himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 peble

Definatelly she is in the wrong what type of driver goes to block the other side of the road to a coming cyclist.Really unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Carson10 wrote: »
    The guy on the bike is a 100% tosser, and so is the guy in the passat behind who goes 'good on you man'.

Going around with a camera excatly like this so he can confront people. He needs to get over himself.

Yeh, no. It's a bit more than that.

I don't know anyone that purposely goes out on a bicycle to look for trouble with cars and buses..slightly dangerous no?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Zyzz wrote: »
    I don't know anyone that purposely goes out on a bicycle to look for trouble with cars and buses..slightly dangerous no?

But there does seem to be a subset who seem to find it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

He has right of way, end of. Doesn't matter what vehicle he's using or that the driver was a woman she didn't yield and made no effort to move to her left when he put his hand up as anyone else would/should do so. Fair play for him to call her up on it even if his rant went on a little long.
    Carson10 wrote: »

Do you cycle? Because that sounds exactly like something an ignorant motorist would say. I think it's safe to say anyone who cycles or commutes on a bike will understand why they use cameras but not necessarily use one themselves. They don't go looking for trouble they just upload anything that they deem worthy of showing people. They're used to prove accidents otherwise cyclists wouldn't have a leg to stand on. I wouldn't mind one myself because I've been knocked off my bike, hit by passing motorists and cut off at high speeds, so the likely event of an accident where I'm in the right I'd like proof of it.

I wouldn't upload any of it to YouTube because I'm not arsed, unless I was actually hit and it was worth watching like flying over the bonnet of a car. I wouldn't put something like me bent over the bike waiting for my testicles to drop after landing on the top tube or anything. I follow all necessary rules of the road and consider myself a good road user so the last thing I want is some arsehole ramming into me at a roundabout and not getting in trouble over it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Yeah, there really is no argument here. The cyclist has the right of way, he shouldn't have to ride the curb just because some bint in a 4x4 doesn't know the rules of the road, she should have yielded, it's simple as that.

Her reaction on being called on her bad driving is disgusting as well "Help, I'm a woman, you're threatening me, im a lone woman".

**** right off, he didn't threaten her, he told he was going to report her bad driving to the Garadi, and he's dead right.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Seaneh wrote: »
    Yeah, there really is no argument here. The cyclist has the right of way, he shouldn't have to ride the curb just because some bint in a 4x4 doesn't know the rules of the road, she should have yielded, it's simple as that.

Her reaction on being called on her bad driving is disgusting as well "Help, I'm a woman, you're threatening me, im a lone woman".

**** right off, he didn't threaten her, he told he was going to report her bad driving to the Garadi, and he's dead right.

Agree. I know the guy pretty vaguely, and he's not usually sweary at all. Calmer and friendlier than me usually. Just caught at a bad time I guess, and comes off badly here.

I'm mystified as to why this video has caught the imagination so much. Big thread on AH as well as a big reaction on Reddit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

He didn't need to say anything simply stand back and film the 4x4's getting past each other.

I'm all for taking the lane when needs be. But this guy seems to be extremely allergic to the cycle lane in his vids.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

DaveyDave wrote: »
    They're used to prove accidents otherwise cyclists wouldn't have a leg to stand on
    That's the bit I don't understand.

If they are use for accident purposes why the need to upload them bearing in mind that many (like this one) are non-accident situations?

If I had an accident which was recorded, the last thing I'd be doing is putting it on YouTube.
    Agree. I know the guy pretty vaguely, and he's not usually sweary at all. Calmer and friendlier than me usually. Just caught at a bad time I guess, and comes off badly here
    I hope he realises the dis-service he has done to the cycling community.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

I hope he realises the dis-service he has done to the cycling community.

From talking to friends who wouldn't be quite "anti" cyclist as such (at least not around me), but who are very quick to point out the eejitry of cyclists, they're pretty sympathetic to the guy in this. A few have sent it to me*, with comments on how outrageous the woman is, nothing about him. The woman clearly acts like a loon, and while many of us believe he took too much offence and couldn't left a lot earlier, he didn't do anything specifically wrong (edit: read as illegal wrong).

This is far from the worst cycling video that could go viral.

*I don't think they realise I work on the Internet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

RobFowl wrote: »
    The cyclist was being a dick....

Agreed. He would have been best to just go up on the kerb and around her in the first place. It was a street empty of pedestrians so it wouldn't have put anybody out. His only other alternative was to cycle around her on the right but then he'd be in everyone's way cycling on the wrong side of the road.

Even though he was right, clearly he was in it for a good fight. He's the sort of fella that if he ended up bumping into someone in a bar, instead of working it out nicely and walking away friends, he'd escalate the drama until he got his head punched in.

If I acted like that guy I'd be shouting at pedestrians every day of the week when I'm cycling along the quays or O'Connell Street in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

spoonface wrote: »
    would have been best to just go up on the kerb and around her in the first place.

Bicycles don't belong on the kerb. Cyclists are Road users, they belong on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

Seaneh wrote: »
    Bicycles don't belong on the kerb. Cyclists are Road users, they belong on the road.

That's all very nice in theory but in reality she's taken her keys out the ignition and ain't budging so it's time to get real and exit the situation.

Personally I go on the path every day with my bike, walking it across a pedestrianised section of Dublin city to reach the next road where I'm allowed to cycle it. You've got to be pragmatic. If I applied your rule it would mean having to go a long way around along more dangerous roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭icedtea

I think the guy had a point in all fairness, but was pretty rude to the woman.

I've watched a few more of his videos and in some cases he is full right in giving out to the driver (taxi driver vid if anyone's interested) but in this case he was way too harsh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

spoonface wrote: »
    Even though he was right, clearly he was in it for a good fight. He's the sort of fella that if he ended up bumping into someone in a bar, instead of working it out nicely and walking away friends, he'd escalate the drama until he got his head punched in.

If I acted like that guy I'd be shouting at pedestrians every day of the week when I'm cycling along the quays or O'Connell Street in Dublin.

It's amazing you think you know so much about this guy from one short video. In actual fact I've seen him act courteously in a few other videos (posted in the AH thread, I didn't even need to check his youtube channel). I believe in this case he got thick because he was at the end of a long cycle, and she not only blocked him, but took her keys out of the ignition and waved them at him. I know that would piss me right off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Not only did this idiot of a driver block the cyclist but also blocked oncoming traffic too forcing a vehicle behind the cyclist to mount the footpath in order to make room. She still had room to pull over out of the way completely but was too much of an a'hole to do so.

The guy is 100% in the right here. If only more people challenged those breaking the law there might be less of it going on but as can be seen from the threads on boards regarding this - too many people have the typical Irish attitude of just ignore and move on. This attitude is why so many people break the rules in this country - which can often be dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

This is like what happens when you combine matter and anti-matter except in this case it´s the self-righteous reacting with the hysterical........bit of cop on, courtesy and common sense from all concerned would have gone a long way!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,620 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The lack of knowledge on the thread in the motoring forum is surprising. You should see some of the comments from alleged motoring and driving enthusiasts, a bike "isn't a vehicle" and shouldn't take up a lane in traffic! :eek: The sort of chat I'd expect from the overweight over 40's diesel Audi A5 brigade, not performance car drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

So I have watched the clip and read the 100+ posts on the subject. I have now given the matter some careful consideration. My analysis would conclude they are both Tw@ts and I really I would have better spent my time using the Internet for its intended purpose. Buying bike stuff I can't afford and looking at noody ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

Saw this sign on my cycle today, reminded me of this video... Maybe we need one of them for the featured street?

254404.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

detones wrote: »
    So I have watched the clip and read the 100+ posts on the subject. I have now given the matter some careful consideration. My analysis would conclude they are both Tw@ts and I really I would have better spent my time using the Internet for its intended purpose. Buying bike stuff I can't afford and looking at noody ladies.

Or buying nude bikes and looking at ladies you cant afford? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The driver did yield there's a good distance between the two , the road more or less goes down to one lane, bar the cyclists there was a clear route for get to go and she took up position to show on coming traffic that she was going down,

She should have left some room for the cyclist, but from looking at his other videos he expects a dedicated car land as he doesn't use bike lanes.

Both in wrong, if you look at his video at killiney towers round about, he is doing Laps if it with the intention of causing an incident. Just a trouble maker ,

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

ted1 wrote: »
    The driver did yield there's a good distance between the two , the road more or less goes down to one lane, bar the cyclists there was a clear route for get to go and she took up position to show on coming traffic that she was going down,

That's nonsense. If she had yielded to a motorist approaching she would have done so on the left. But no, she positioned herself on the wrong side of the road and made no attempt to correct just because he was a cyclist. Replace the cyclist with a motorbike or a car and you'd have a completely different scenario. I think you'd agree that she would be completely out of order if it was a car approaching rather than a cyclist.

That's nonsense. If she had yielded to a motorist approaching she would have done so on the left. But no, she positioned herself on the wrong side of the road and made no attempt to correct just because he was a cyclist. Replace the cyclist with a motorbike or a car and you'd have a completely different scenario. I think you'd agree that she would be completely out of order if it was a car approaching rather than a cyclist.
    Actually watching it again, the car had was on the right hand side of the road before he progressed down the road, if he were a in a car he would gracefully pull in to the right and let her pass. But instead he ploughed on down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

UDP wrote: »
    If only more people challenged those breaking the law there might be less of it going on but as can be seen from the threads on boards regarding this - too many people have the typical Irish attitude of just ignore and move on. This attitude is why so many people break the rules in this country - which can often be dangerous.
    It is not the duty of ordinary citizens to enforce the road traffic regulations. That's a matter for the Gardai. Vigalantism does not have a place in a modern democratic society.

There is a car behind the cyclist. So you have to wonder what she thought was going to happen there.

I think someone who pulls to the wrong side of the road, then sits there blocking the road needs to resit the driving test.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Actually watching it again, the car had was on the right hand side of the road before he progressed down the road, if he were a in a car he would gracefully pull in to the right and let her pass. But instead he ploughed on down the road.

I'm sorry, but he is in the middle of the parked cars/pinch point as she is still approaching and should yield to approaching traffic. She drives towards the cyclist with no intention of yielding.

Pulling over to the right? That's a new one on me, the obstruction was blocking the jeep approaching, not the cyclist. It was her duty to stop and yield. Which she did not do.

Do you make a habit of driving on the wrong side of the road or something?

You pull into the left.

Theres a line of cars behind her, all on the correct side of the road.

BostonB wrote: »
    Do you make a habit of driving on the wrong side of the road or something?

You pull into the left.

Theres a line of cars behind her, all on the correct side of the road.
    I make a habit of driving with common sense, if there is a long stretch of single lane and there's another person already started a manoeuvre I'll pull in to some where safe and let them continue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 NewGrad

"I am a woman on my own."

I can well believe it! Don't think your little "performance" in the video will help change that. Probably best for humanity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement