Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC modem/router Technicolor TC7200

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Alan3002 wrote: »
    Alan3002 wrote: »
    Here ya go mate. I had this posted elsewhere.

Pre-instructions:
    1. Make sure Wi-Free is disabled in your UPC account! This can take up to 72 hours to take effect once disabled.
    2. Make sure you are on an IPV4 address and not an IPV6 address. You will need to directly contact UPC to change this.

Instructions:
    1.Downloaded the SNMP Program from here http://www.snmpsoft.co...eetools/snmpset.html
    2.Placed program on my desktop
    3.Right click on program, click properties, compatibility tab, run as administrator
    4.Pulled out RF cable on TC7200
    5.Held reset button on the TC7200 for 30 seconds using a pin
    6.Logged into the TC7200, turned off firewall (not sure if needed)
    7.Turned off firewall on my windows machine
    8.Connected the Laptop to the TC7200 with a direct connection
    9.Clicked windows button bottom left, typed "cmd" into search bar and hit enter. CMD window appears.
    10.Dragged the SNMP program onto the CMD window. It should create a line with something like "C:/Program File/User/etcetc/SNMP.exe". Don't press enter yet
    11.Copied this line (right click, copy). NOTE: My router address was 192.168.100.1 and not 192.168.0.1 so change in the line of code if needed.
    -v:2c -c:public -r:192.168.0.1 -o:1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 -tp:int -val:1
    12.Back on the CMD window, after the SNMP.exe part press spacebar, right click and paste (ctrl + v to paste will not work in CMD window).
    13.This should run the program (if not, hit enter), wait a moment, a security window will pop up, hit yes.
    14. Plug the RF cable back into the UPC router.
    15. Double check that the UPC router IP has changed (ipconfig /all). There may be a delay in this. Once it has changed, log into the router and check to make sure there is fewer options available than before.
    16. Unplug your laptop/desktop from your UPC router and directly plug it into your new router.
    17. Plug the UPC router into your new router.
    18.It should work after that! True bridge mode enabled.

For those interested.

Anyone looking to bridge should follow this. My bridge mode was lost to a hard reset recently and couldn't get it working again until I found this post about getting Horizon WiFree disabled. Worked a charm after that.

Thanks to everyone that posted this. I thought I was stuck with the Technicolor wireless network, which was crapping out all over the place. Back to my letting rock-steady (ancient) Linksys router handle everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

If you are changed back to DS_lite will it kick your cisco router out of bridge mode? Suppose my question is will we notice it if it happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,745 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anyone looking to bridge should follow this. My bridge mode was lost to a hard reset recently and couldn't get it working again until I found this post about getting Horizon WiFree disabled. Worked a charm after that.

Thanks to everyone that posted this. I thought I was stuck with the Technicolor wireless network, which was crapping out all over the place. Back to my letting rock-steady (ancient) Linksys router handle everything.

This was on the technicolour not the cisco ? correct ?

as i have been unable to tcp into the technicolour to do this.

gramo wrote: »
    If you are changed back to DS_lite will it kick your cisco router out of bridge mode? Suppose my question is will we notice it if it happens?

Technicolor yes, Cisco no. But you will only be able to access IPv6 sites with a bridged Cisco and DS-Lite enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

listermint wrote: »

This was on the technicolour not the cisco ? correct ?

as i have been unable to tcp into the technicolour to do this.

Ya this was with the Technicolor.

What do you mean by "tcp into the technicolour"? Do you mean connect using SNMP? Have you checked to make sure that your Horizon Wifree network is gone? You can use a mobile app such as Wifi Analyser (Android) to see what wifi networks are active nearby.

The only other things that I can think of are that the RF cable must be removed and that the firewall on your router should be disabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Why oh why can't you just have the option of a modem and use your own router instead of having to go to all the hassle of bridging etc.

Had a cisco router which was rock solid for the last 3 years and died the other day, I was given a technicolor as a replacement while I wait for a replacement cisco. Dear god the technicolor is horrendous. 20mb over wifi and for some reason the wired connections just don't seem to work, not long enough to do a speed test anyway. Also means half my house doesn't work as everything was linked to my old wifi network through my Asus N66U.. Hope to have a cisco back before Friday otherwise I'll crack up with this connection.

unklerosco wrote: »
    Why oh why can't you just have the option of a modem and use your own router instead of having to go to all the hassle of bridging etc.

Had a cisco router which was rock solid for the last 3 years and died the other day, I was given a technicolor as a replacement while I wait for a replacement cisco. Dear god the technicolor is horrendous. 20mb over wifi and for some reason the wired connections just don't seem to work, not long enough to do a speed test anyway. Also means half my house doesn't work as everything was linked to my old wifi network through my Asus N66U.. Hope to have a cisco back before Friday otherwise I'll crack up with this connection.
    If you want my honest opinion, you'll be lucky to get a replacement Cisco! They're like gold dust now and are only being issued to business customers.

Karsini wrote: »
    If you want my honest opinion, you'll be lucky to get a replacement Cisco! They're like gold dust now and are only being issued to business customers.

I have his mobile and know where he works (my office is next to the where the techs get all their gear each morning) so I'll be making sure I get my cisco back...

My shiny new cisco EPC3925 just arrived, back into bridged mode... normality is restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

This is probably a silly question but does anyone have any problems with this modem and a printer printing? Just thought I would ask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

leemaree wrote: »
    This is probably a silly question but does anyone have any problems with this modem and a printer printing? Just thought I would ask

Maybe! Have noticed lately when my wireless printer goes into standby mode it will no longer print when woken and appears as offline in windows even though it's not,

A printer reboot fixes it till next time though

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mcwoods

Hi Folks,

So remote access to my home network vanished over night.

I had my TC7200 set up with DHCP disabled, and my Netgear Nighthawk X4 R7500 setup as the DHCP server. The Netgear was given a static IP. On the TC7200 I had specified that the Netgear Nighthawk should be in the DMZ. Thus enabling port forwarding to work, and static IP addresses to be configured and controlled by the Netgear.

This all worked.

Now when I log into the UPC router there is no DMZ! - the option has vanished from the router. I tried individual port forwarding - but it doesn't work at all...

Did UPC do something? - Any ideas?

mcwoods wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

So remote access to my home network vanished over night.

I had my TC7200 set up with DHCP disabled, and my Netgear Nighthawk X4 R7500 setup as the DHCP server. The Netgear was given a static IP. On the TC7200 I had specified that the Netgear Nighthawk should be in the DMZ. Thus enabling port forwarding to work, and static IP addresses to be configured and controlled by the Netgear.

This all worked.

Now when I log into the UPC router there is no DMZ! - the option has vanished from the router. I tried individual port forwarding - but it doesn't work at all...

Did UPC do something? - Any ideas?

They may have moved you on to DS Lite,check if your wan ip is ipv6 or ipv4,

If it's ipv6 then a quick pm to the virgin reps will get you back onto ipv4 and restore the status quo

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

[
    wiz569 wrote: »
    They may have moved you on to DS Lite,check if your wan ip is ipv6 or ipv4,

If it's ipv6 then a quick pm to the virgin reps will get you back onto ipv4 and restore the status quo

You can check here

If you are affected you can request a reversion to ipv4 but there is no guarantee that this reversion will last and you can be changed back tomorrow or the next day or.....................
    Originally posted by Virgin Media: Brian

To answer your further questions - as we mentioned, we reserve the right to change your connection specifics like your IP address if network maintenance or upgrades require this. That can happen without a bundle or an equipment replacement or change but if you see any issue with your connection we'll look into this with you.

If you're changed to IPv4 this may revert to IPv6 if further works require this but if that happens we can follow up with you.
    An account cannot be "flagged" for IPv4 permanently.

In short - connection details can change, any network changes are tested before they're put in place to ensure they don't cause issues for you but if at any time those changes adversely effect your service we'll do everything we can to resolve it.

Thanks guys, I'll follow up with them and double check tonight when I get back home.

Just wondering if IPv6 is enabled, could I give some of my home devices, that I want to expose, an IPv6 address? And address them directly ?

mcwoods wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I'll follow up with them and double check tonight when I get back home.

Just wondering if IPv6 is enabled, could I give some of my home devices, that I want to expose, an IPv6 address? And address them directly ?

Virgin use DS Lite which I think disables port forwarding option on the router ,so you really need to switch back to ipv4

A quick ping on twitter and they switched me back to IPv4. But I fear that this is just a stop gap... the future is IPv6. Which means I need to work out how to implement the same / similar functionality on IPv6 and DS_Lite. Has anyone seen any good tutorials on this?

The good news is, all the equipment I want to access remotely are IPv6 enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭hernie

I've noticed that my WiFi speeds have gotten terrible over the last week or so on multiple devices. I'm getting download speeds of less than 10Mbps where as I used to get 70-80Mbps. I did a scan and there's no other access point causing interference. Anyone else experience this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

Anything else that could be causing interference? baby monitor/cordless phone/microwave? is speed okay when connected via ethernet?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Got the new Virgin Hub 3.0 last week and its a million times better than the Technicolor. I'm toying with the idea of using the Technicolor as a Switch/Repeater. I reset the router by holding the reset button for 30 seconds or so but when i try to login using admin/admin i get a wrong pass error.
    I'm wondering do Virgin disable all features on this when they switch on a new router? Anyone else has this experience?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭south

hernie wrote: »
    I've noticed that my WiFi speeds have gotten terrible over the last week or so on multiple devices. I'm getting download speeds of less than 10Mbps where as I used to get 70-80Mbps. I did a scan and there's no other access point causing interference. Anyone else experience this?

Mine has gone the exact same. Can't use the WiFi on my parteners and my own phone. Wired set up is working fine though.

south wrote: »
    Mine has gone the exact same. Can't use the WiFi on my parteners and my own phone. Wired set up is working fine though.

Yeah my wired devices are getting full speed as well. Might try reseting the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

south wrote: »

Yep, I've definitely noticed something fishy with the wireless too on this Technicolor crap. Wireless was always rubbish, but it's especially bad recently. Even my phone is finding it hard to connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Tony EH wrote: »
    Yep, I've definitely noticed something fishy with the wireless too on this Technicolor crap. Wireless was always rubbish, but it's especially bad recently. Even my phone is finding it hard to connect.

spent about an hour and a half today with Virgin online help,waste of time.Having same issue but bloke basically said don't use wireless ,use Ethernet cables.I said its not 2005 ,don't think that's an acceptable excuse anymore seeing that nearly every thing now can connect to the internet.I swear that Technicolor is going into the bonfire if they don't sort it out soon.Will probably just get my own but Virgin muppet wouldn't even help there.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

I had to get a netgear router so the wireless would reach my bedroom..
    that technicolour thing is useless...
    I had to ring so many times to try and get it bridged and in the end they told me they couldnt...

Im going to ring them up today and cancel my contract... €60 amonth..!

has to be better out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I had to get a netgear router so the wireless would reach my bedroom..
    that technicolour thing is useless...
    I had to ring so many times to try and get it bridged and in the end they told me they couldnt...

Im going to ring them up today and cancel my contract... €60 amonth..!

has to be better out there...

I had to do the same. I was told that now that WiFi works that I shouldn't be complaining...

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

With the help of the Virgin reps here they sorted it out.Many thanks and its a pity the reps over the phone and online chat couldn't help but never mind,all working well now.

ben101 wrote: »
    With the help of the Virgin reps here they sorted it out.Many thanks and its a pity the reps over the phone and online chat couldn't help but never mind,all working well now.
    What was the solution? Mine has been acting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

What was the solution? Mine has been acting up.

The solution for me was they changed the technacolour modem to the virgin media hub.I have great results from this new box.If you still have slow loading with youtube only this is the answer.

https://dottech.org/103278/how-to-make-youtube-videos-load-faster-on-windows-mac-os-x-linux-guide/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Terpsichorean Master

Hey all, so I'm considering getting a Netgear EX6150 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00V6B9XS2 to boost the ridiculously poor wi-fi signal in my living room in an effort to get proper value from my Chromecast and also to enable decent phone/tablet use there (older house, very thick walls and, of course, the paltry wi-fi capability of the TC7200 combine to make it a real dead zone); and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of how it works with the Technicolor TC7200, if indeed it does - or how effective a device it would be overall?

Or, indeed, if there's an alternative, perhaps better or more compatible, device or arrangement that I should consider?

All and any responses and/or suggestions will be very gratefully received, so thanks in advance!
    Having said that, I'm reasonably tech savvy, but far from expert; so please try to use layman's terms if possible; cheers.

Advertisement