Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC modem/router Technicolor TC7200

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dublinercheese

wiz569 wrote: »
    Did you remove the coax first?

yep, tried both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Hi folks,

After continuing wifi and hardline drops with my old modem (6 months), UPC sent me this new Technicolor box.

And although no drops were seen, we now have a problem with very slow broadband. In the evenings we are getting speeds as low as 2mb with a max of 10mb...

I have a Tech coming out tomorrow, does anyone have any advice for me with the Tech, as it's the third time a tech has called and each time the usual response has been "looks fine, I'll put in a new modem"

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Check that they check the line levels in the box outside.

beauf wrote: »
    Check that they check the line levels in the box outside.

Thanks.... hopefully he'll sort it.

Ended up streaming a movie last weekend from my mobile 3G connection :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

I am wondering what is the router UPC send out to replace the horizon box router which as mentioned is terrible? Will there be a noticeable difference in terms of fewer drop offs and stronger signal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

last week i had an epc3925. upgraded my speeds and got horizon(mostly ok but ps4 wireless is unplayable. i get 0.5mb compared to 20mb before) had a moan and said i want my epc3925 back. they said no. got onto another person and they said they dont supply them no more so im being sent a technicolor. from reading this thread, i wish i could go back in time and have not "upgraded" to horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bozharry1

Hi had no probs with my 120 meg broadband last week.Then all of a sudden my broadband speed is crap at night time.Tech came out and said my line levels were bad and said all was good now.checked my speeds at night and was down to 10 mbs.For some reason my broadband is good during the day and then crappy at night.does anyone else have this problem?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

So I think I've enabled bridging on my Technicolor TC7200 using the SNMP method, but I'm not 100% certain!

So I can no longer access the router on 192.168.0.1, but only 192.168.100.1 and now there is no "Advanced" tab, DHCP, settings etc.

However the wifi still works on it and if you connected to the UPC wifi or directly to the ethernet port I end up getting an IP address in the range 80.111.180.x

Does that sound right? That it is now bridged?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

bk wrote: »
    However the wifi still works on it and if you connected to the UPC wifi or directly to the ethernet port I end up getting an IP address in the range 80.111.180.x

Thats leasing out publics, so yep, its bridged. Connect the wan on your C7 and itll get leased a public just like the PC/phone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ED E wrote: »
    Thats leasing out publics, so yep, its bridged. Connect the wan on your C7 and itll get leased a public just like the PC/phone.

Yup, it already is, all worked without any changes on my C7!

It being so easy was what took me by surprise and wondering if it was really bridged!

Cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Security wise kill that wifi access, nevermind the wireless congestion. If it hands out publics to a wireless client they aren't firewalled other than the OS so any exposed services could be vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Yea 4pm to 9/10pm you might as well be looking into a ditch.

So I think I've enabled bridging on my Technicolor TC7200 using the SNMP method, but I'm not 100% certain!

So I can no longer access the router on 192.168.0.1, but only 192.168.100.1 and now there is no "Advanced" tab, DHCP, settings etc.

Would you mind linking me to the thread or site with the SNMP instructions for the Technicolor? I've seen one method in the past but haven't been successful.

Would you mind linking me to the thread or site with the SNMP instructions for the Technicolor? I've seen one method in the past but haven't been successful.

The details are in the first post of this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057106714

The details are the same for the Technicolor as for the Thomson. Just one detail not mentioned. Remember to unplug the coax cable from the router before you start.

I've a mac, so it was significantly easier.

The details are the same for the Technicolor as for the Thomson. Just one detail not mentioned. Remember to unplug the coax cable from the router before you start.

Thanks! I'm also on a mac. I have read this thread before, but I'll give it another go. How are your results so far? Also, does UPC have you on DS-Lite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Is there issues with using the http://xx.xx.xx.xx/system/switch-mode.asp link to switch to bridge mode from modem mode?

Thanks! I'm also on a mac. I have read this thread before, but I'll give it another go. How are your results so far? Also, does UPC have you on DS-Lite?

Rock solid so far.

And no, I think I'm still on an IPv4 public address.

Don't forget to turn off the firewall on both the router and mac first. Also I couldn't connect first time. So I telnetted to the router and then disconnected and tried the SNMP command a second time and it worked the second time. Not sure telnet actually did anything, just that playing around with it and trying a few times seemed to get it to work.

At least it is very trivial with a mac or linux. Doing it with windows looks like a total pain!
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Is there issues with using the http://xx.xx.xx.xx/system/switch-mode.asp link to switch to bridge mode from modem mode?

Yes, with this router, people report that the router crashes a lot!

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Is there issues with using the link to switch to bridge mode from modem mode?

This has never worked for me. It always reverts back. Plugged or not plugged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Yes, with this router, people report that the router crashes a lot!

I can confirm this!

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

Update on my situation with this router:

When I first got UPC I was on the ridiculous implementation of IPV6 and had horrendous issues. Moving to IPV4 fixed most things. However, since UPC enabled Wi-Free on my account (late Nov.) I've been getting dropped connections about once a week or so. Weirdly, the dropouts went to about once an hour two weeks ago despite no changes to the UPC modem or my Linksys EA6700 running DD-WRT. I was using bridged mode on the modem via the URL, as I could not get any SNMP approach to work (despite extensive efforts). The drops could be replicated on a directly connected laptop too. Releasing & renewing the WAN IP would instantly resolve the issue, but I couldn't find any seamless way of automating this.

Resetting the router to stock and port forwarding every port to the linksys has resolved the drops completely, and I think any performance hit is just imagined.

A few questions:
    - has anyone successfully used SNMP on the technicolor very recently? if so, how?
    - are there any real-world issues with my port-forwarding approach? (obviously the linksys doesn't now have a true external IPV4 address, but effectively it does, right?)

• Advertisement

llatsni wrote: »
    - has anyone successfully used SNMP on the technicolor very recently? if so, how?

I did, last week. However I've had my Technicolor for the last 9 months or so and I'm on a IPv4 address.

I have a mac, so I used that. A few notes:

- It is much easier to do from a mac or linux. If you only have a windows, then you could try running linux on it from a live cd or usb card
    - Make sure to unplug the coax cable first from the upc modem
    - Make sure to switch off the firewall on both your UPC router and you pc/mac
    - The first time I ran the SNMP command it didn't work. I then telnetted into the UPC modem to see if it was available, disconnected and ran the SNMP command a second time and it worked the second time. I don't know if telnet made a difference, but just FYI

Cheers bk, I have a mac, I'll give it another shot.

By the way I eventually got Wi-Free disabled/removed from the modem and it has definitely improved the Linksys wifi signal quality to low power devices. Presumably due to less wifi noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

By the way I eventually got Wi-Free disabled/removed from the modem and it has definitely improved the Linksys wifi signal quality to low power devices. Presumably due to less wifi noise.

How do you remove wifree?

@Fungie you can opt-out on your "My UPC" account online. However it didn't work for me: 72hrs passed with no change despite restarts. A call to 1908 had it removed overnight (once restarted).

I don't know what kind of devices you have, but I keep all of my personal network devices on 5ghz. This way, you can still have the Wi-Free enabled (2.4ghz) and there won't be any interference.

Got a text today from UPC stating that they had found a fault with my service and have it fixed..... May 2014 my "fault started".....

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

cisk wrote: »
    Seen his post in the UPC BA thread about the hidden bridging mode page

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93743794&postcount=80

I just had a look and i can get to the page and change it into bridging mode, it removes the LAN, DHCP and time tabs in basic which is a good sign, just waiting on my Netgear R7000 to arive to properly test it.

Has anyone else tried, it would save the hassle of messing around with snmp or DMZs.

Just did that on my, ahem, trusty TC7200. I've an Asus RT-N66U sitting behind the UPC box (modem only, no TV) and had messed around with DMZ etc. It did work, but was spotty and caused some apps to timeout (Tunein Radio on a SONOS stopped after exactly 15 mins).

Flicked the TC into Bridge mode, and reset the ASUS WAN link to "Automatic IP" and hey presto! Up she came!

Seems to be working fine, response times have certainly improved, was getting full throughput on Router mode, but found that it took X seconds to "Resolving Host" when browsing, thats gone now, and it gets to web pages quite fast.

Did the UPC speed test and got 122Mbps download (120Mb package).

Will verify the SONOS doesn't timeout anymore, but hopefully that's now offloaded the routing to the ASUS for the heavy stuff (I've a Synology Diskstation on the LAN too).

Will keep an eye on it now and see how it performs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 minnineman1

HI all new here and im trying to bridge technicolor TC7200 UPC

i have had a look through the thread have seen bridging mentioned but i am unable to understand the solution can any one explain how to do this without all the tecnical terms
    I'm sick of their crappy equipment.

PLEASE HELP THANKS IN ADVANCE

HI all new here and im trying to bridge technicolor TC7200 UPC

i have had a look through the thread have seen bridging mentioned but i am unable to understand the solution can any one explain how to do this without all the tecnical terms
    I'm sick of their crappy equipment.

PLEASE HELP THANKS IN ADVANCE

Details on how to do it on in the first post here:

BTW it is much easier to do with a mac or linux.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Patrickof wrote: »
    Just did that on my, ahem, trusty TC7200. I've an Asus RT-N66U sitting behind the UPC box (modem only, no TV) and had messed around with DMZ etc. It did work, but was spotty and caused some apps to timeout (Tunein Radio on a SONOS stopped after exactly 15 mins).

Flicked the TC into Bridge mode, and reset the ASUS WAN link to "Automatic IP" and hey presto! Up she came!

Seems to be working fine, response times have certainly improved, was getting full throughput on Router mode, but found that it took X seconds to "Resolving Host" when browsing, thats gone now, and it gets to web pages quite fast.

Did the UPC speed test and got 122Mbps download (120Mb package).

Will verify the SONOS doesn't timeout anymore, but hopefully that's now offloaded the routing to the ASUS for the heavy stuff (I've a Synology Diskstation on the LAN too).

Will keep an eye on it now and see how it performs.

Hmm, I may have spoken too soon.

After a few hours of no use (ie overnight) the internet is "down" and no PC/Mac device is able to get to the 'net. Traceroute stops at the router.

Doing pretty much anything on the router resolves it, but it happens again the following overnight. So it looks like the bridged layer 2 traffic just "freezes".

Will try the other method of putting the TC in bridge mode.

Advertisement