Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC modem/router Technicolor TC7200

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Patrickof wrote: »
    Will try the other method of putting the TC in bridge mode.

Did you use the SNMP method or the web page switch mode?

THe latter is definitely not recommended or stable on the TC7200, you really need to use the SNMP method which for me seems to be rock solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

bk wrote: »

THe latter is definitely not recommended or stable on the TC7200, you really need to use the SNMP method which for me seems to be rock solid.

Just a quick question on the SNMP method,

If using a linux live CD do you just enter the command in a terminal window as is or do you need to telnet in first?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

wiz569 wrote: »
    Just a quick question on the SNMP method,

If using a linux live CD do you just enter the command in a terminal window as is or do you need to telnet in first?

Just enter the command.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jaybeeveedub

Hi All,

Hopefully this isn't a foolish question, but I do recognise my expertise in this area is limited (I have a basic understanding of IPs and MAC addresses)

I'm trying to get a good solid setup here, and just want to check before I attempt the SNMP method that it's the right thing to do....

I have, in hardware terms....
    • the TC7200 as modem and DCHP server, wifi off
    • Airport Extreme (dual band model - not the current one) as wifi generator
    • Cat 5 cabling in house which feeds from the AE several Airport Expresses creating a romaing network in the house
    • Cat 5 cabling taking wired connections to SKY box, Desktop and HIFI
    My HIFI has a NAIM UnitiQute and a MacMini acting a UPnP server all wired via Ethernet

What I'd like to do is assign static IP addresses to the UnitiQute and the MacMini as the iOS control app makes me undertake a laborious reset everytime either device obtains a new IP from the TC7200 as the network will not permit autodiscover....

I have tried using IP addresses outside the DHCP reserved range
    (192.168.0.8 & 192.168.0.9) and I have tried addresses beyond the number of devices which will ever connect (192.168.0.83 & 192.168.0.84) but both of these meant that I couldn't connect to the internet? (here my knowledge exits stage left -- I have no idea why?)

from reading on here, it would appear that UPC have prevented the use of static IPs?

So.... Is my best option to enable bridging of the internet connection and let the Aiport Extreme handle DHCP -- can this be done?

Many thanks, and again apoligies if this is total beginner stuff!

Johnny

[IMG]http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o773/johnny103/Mobile Uploads/AEA6B2F2-1138-4891-BC0B-81DB51C2A48C_zpsfqsovhcu.jpg[/IMG]

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

bk wrote: »

I used the URL method and changed it on the dropdown, causes lots of dropouts.

Will reverse that and try the SNMP method.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Managed to change the TC7200 to bridge mode via snmpset method.

Here's a summary: (with a few bits that caught me out!)

1. Put TC7200 back in router mode via the URL method (http://192.168.100.1/system/switch-mode.asp)

2. Verified that TC7200 now had all tabs back (Parental etc.)

3. Disabled firewall on Mac, connected ethernet direct to TC7200 from Mac (bypassing my Asus router)

4.In Mac Terminal:
    snmpset -v2c -c public 192.168.0.1 1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 i 1

(Response was: "SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 = INTEGER: 1")

To note on Step 4:
    I could telnet to 192.168.100.1 and got a login prompt but I had to use the snmpset command to 192.168.0.1 (the LAN address of the router)
    Also, AND THIS BIT IS IMPORTANT - DISCONNECT THE WAN CABLE FROM THE TC7200!!!!! The firmware blocks snmpset commands when the WAN is active

5. Logged back into the TC7200 and its in Bridge mode (fewer tabs)

6. Re-wired up everything, turned back on firewall, and put ASUS router back in the mix.

7. All is working well, now to see if it maintains the connection!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nasud75

Hi mates,

I have update about UPC. They install me Technicolor tc7200U with STD1.0.27 firmware, but by new rules they blocked almost all options under
    ADVANCED/OPTIONS. Only WAN Blocking is enable to modify. IPsec/PPTP/Multicast and UPnP are not visible anymore.

So they push me to do your steps with SNMP,because I cannot set ports forwarding for cctv cameras at home (I did it but its blocked get anything out),cant connect my VPNs due PPTP is sure not enabled.

I called them 10x and finally they told me no upgrade to allows me these options, to change it, no router replace... fuc....rs!!

I have last question:
    I have home phone connected to TC, could I use the phone after change?
    I leave phone line connected to TC?

Thanks for help

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

nasud75 wrote: »
    Hi mates,

I have update about UPC. They install me Technicolor tc7200U with STD1.0.27 firmware, but by new rules they blocked almost all options under
    ADVANCED/OPTIONS. Only WAN Blocking is enable to modify. IPsec/PPTP/Multicast and UPnP are not visible anymore.

So they push me to do your steps with SNMP,because I cannot set ports forwarding for cctv cameras at home (I did it but its blocked get anything out),cant connect my VPNs due PPTP is sure not enabled.

I called them 10x and finally they told me no upgrade to allows me these options, to change it, no router replace... fuc....rs!!

I have last question:
    I have home phone connected to TC, could I use the phone after change?
    I leave phone line connected to TC?

Thanks for help

First do this test:
    http://test-ipv6.com

If IPv6 is active, it means that UPC have ds-lite enabled on your connection and this will not allow port forwarding.
    If this is the case, all you have to do is ring UPC and ask them to switch the ipv6 off and turn the IPv4 on.

Regards,

Thanks a lot mate its much clear now, strange thing is that UPC tech support cannot change Ipv6 to Ipv4 ,you must to call premium department where you paid for call some num 1550924124 ...horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Thanks a lot mate its much clear now, strange thing is that UPC tech support cannot change Ipv6 to Ipv4 ,you must to call premium department where you paid for call some num 1550924124 ...horrible.

Contact them via THIS LINK and they will sort you at no cost

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

Don't!! You can just send a PM to the UPC reps here on boards. They can do it for you, no problem.

OK I try ,but message not posted due : "UPC: Reps has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

It just means you got a moron on the phone.

Some UPC staff are sounds and helpful and some are as ignorant as they can get. :mad:

I rang them the other day and the guy on the phone was having none of it ( No cant do, sorry bout that, not our policy,ring the premium line,etc)
    Hung up, rang again, difference day and night, problem sorted without all the drama previous operator was giving me

OK I try ,but message not posted due : "UPC: Reps has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

Try again on Monday when they are online

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

davkav wrote: »
    Recently received the TC myself and I have to say I am less than impressed.

Previously had the Scientific Atlanta Modem and my own buffalo router so a lot of functionality that I had on my previous system has been lost.

Port forwarding was not working initially (Synology NAS) but after a quick PM to the UPC reps they assigned me a IPv4 address (see thread regarding DS-lite).

I then noticed that my Synology could not see the WAN address on the router and as such my dyndns account would not update.

I eventually figured out that for the synology to see the WAN address, the static address that I have assigned my Synology has to be within the DHCP pool of addresses?? What the hell is that all about?!

Anyway after much frustration it is all singing and dancing now. Time will tell how stable the unit is but for now it is working fully.
    Dude, thanks for posting this, I was going cracked trying to figure out why my DiskStation wasn't responding on the dydns account, I'm going to give them a shout tomorrow, but what details do you have to send them to get IPv4 instead of IPv6, just your account number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭outlooks

Hi,

Have TC7200 with UPC 60MB Fibre. I've been having several issues with UPC broadband or the router or both.

5 technicians came over, checked the wiring, replaced the modem and I'm still having the following issues:

- Internet drops and comes back at intervals
    - Cannot connect an Iphone 4 and some tables like samsung tab 3 to the wifi. The wifi is on 2.4GHz mode
    - When I connect one laptop and two mobiles wifi doesn't work properly on the mobiles. Becomes really slow.

Any thoughts? Anyone with the same issues?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭genek

Hi outlooks

buy the new decent router (Asus, TP-Link) and bridge TC7200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭outlooks

genek wrote: »
    Hi outlooks

buy the new decent router (Asus, TP-Link) and bridge TC7200

Thanks for the tip.

Do you know if the fact of being 60MB could be the issue? It would be a first to me but would UPC 120MB be required to supply multiple devices with broadband at same time?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

I have my TC7200 connected via ethernet to a DNS320 NAS. Works fine but transfer between the router and NAS maxes out at about 30mbps (*megabits* per second, not megabytes) despite both of them supporting gigabit ethernet. Anybody have any idea why this is and if it can be fixed?

daveyjoe wrote: »
    I have my TC7200 connected via ethernet to a DNS320 NAS. Works fine but transfer between the router and NAS maxes out at about 30mbps (*megabits* per second, not megabytes) despite both of them supporting gigabit ethernet. Anybody have any idea why this is and if it can be fixed?

I had similar here between my PC and a network pvr box, plugged cable from pvr into Ethernet switch instead of direct to router, using max available speed now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Foxtrot Tango

I have this router from UPC TC7200. I'm getting the 230 MB download with a cable but wireless speed is highly variable with as low a 1 MB and the norm seeming to be in the range of 3-10MB. Is this a problem with the modem ? Should I get an additional modem? Also, I recently got Chrome cast and initially it wouldn't work (even though the set-up went ok) and then the next day it worked fine but since then I can't get it to work at all , so I'm thinking this might be related to the wireless speed. Could this be the case ? Thanks for any advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What's the wireless card in your PC or laptop?

em ...no idea to be honest but the wireless speed is poor irrespective of whether I'm using one of several laptops, an iphone or an ipad ....

One slow device will drag them all down.

Are they all WiFi N?

Are they all WiFi N?[/QUOTE]

sorry, not sure I follow, do you mean wifi enabled ?

No. There's different standards. For example the Nintendo Wii is G. Put that on a network with a Latop with N (faster) and it will slow the WiFi for the laptop.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/30224-add-dont-replace-when-upgrading-to-80211n

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n

em ... getting pretty techy for a technophobe like me ... how do I know if I have any devices that are G ? I've a few laptops (some quite old), an old desktop with a wireless adapter, an ipad and a few iphones ....

Turn them all off (or at least the wifi) except the latest device only then test the speed then.

In my house we had two identical phones. One killed the wifi speed entirely for some weird reason. Forced everything to WiFi N and it all speeded up.

• Advertisement

will do, thanks for the help

Advertisement