Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Galway bate Mayo?

Options

Comments

Yes they will bate them.
    Lapin wrote: »
    Coleman you Muppet.

There's a lot more than 16,000 in that stadium. Connacht council telling porkies in case the taxman is watching. ;)

It might be to do with the season tickets as well.
    You get into the first round for free so maybe they're counted.
    That's a wild guess though as I'd agree there seems to be 1000s more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

It might be to do with the season tickets as well.
    You get into the first round for free so maybe they're not counted.
    That's a wild guess though as I'd agree there seems to be 1000s more.

Not worth counting the Galway football season ticket holders. They'd all fit in the back of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Yes they will bate them.
    Mayo have been pretty poor the 2nd half especially considering they've played against 14 men for most and 13 for a good chunk.

I know there was a large element of taking the foot off the pedal but it's been pretty anemic stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Ah blow it up ta fuk ref. :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Galway haven't beaten a team from outside Connacht since 2004. Not exactly a great omen for them for the qualifiers. Startling how far behind Mayo they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭elefant

Two positives: Cummins and Walsh.

Everything else- muck.
    What 'gameplan' Galway were attempting to play in the first-half I have no idea. Handpassing around in circles over and over, when the only scores we actually got were from big hoofed balls in around the square.

It was hard to watch. And I have to say, probably the least captain-like performance I can ever remember seeing from Gareth Bradshaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Yes they will bate them.
    elefant wrote: »
    Two positives: Cummins and Walsh.

Everything else- muck.
    What 'gameplan' Galway were attempting to play in the first-half I have no idea. Handpassing around in circles over and over, when the only scores we actually got were from big hoofed balls in around the square.

It was hard to watch. And I have to say, probably the least captain-like performance I can ever remember seeing from Gareth Bradshaw.

I only listened to the match on GBFM so cant really comment on it. But they were saying that Galway were being far too nice. They made the point of Shane Walsh coming on and shaking hands to his opponent straight away. Was an interesting point.

As I said above, I didnt see any of the match. But Bradshaw & Coleman should be showing a LOT more maturity than that. They are the seniors players now that Joyce Blake & Bergin are gone. And to get sent off for throwing punches is really immature on their part. Sure, they are frustrated. But channel that frustration in a different way. They have been around long enough to understand this now. And as Frank Morris said on the radio, those red cards may impact on their club championship games next weekend too. The one place a player cannot help his team is when he is off the pitch. They let their younger team-mates down today,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Yes they will bate them.
    We can all go over the usual negatives but there were some positives. Danny Cummins had the best game from a Galway perspective. When all else around him gave up (Bradshaw and Coleman especially) he stood up and worked hard. His fielding was great and he reminds me of the football version of Davey Glennon in many ways. Michael Meehan still has class. That ball he put into the square was lovely and he got a great free early in the match. Army was exceptional considering the circumstances in the second half. He was pretty much stuck in half back mode. I feared for that midfield going into the match and they were demolished.

But yeah everything else is what we've come to expect. There is no such thing as a soft match for this side come qualifiers. I thought we'd either win today or come out of it in great shape for the 1st round qualifier. That was a beating that will take a long time for those guys to recover from and I'm not holding out hope of the 9 year curse being broken.

I'd never be as outright to say they shamed the footballing community in Galway like some of my fellow-fans on the way out but it's tough to watch the spiral from All-Ireland winners in 2001 to the bottom tier of counties.

Yes they will bate them.
    We can all go over the usual negatives but there were some positives. Danny Cummins had the best game from a Galway perspective. When all else around him gave up (Bradshaw and Coleman especially) he stood up and worked hard. His fielding was great and he reminds me of the football version of Davey Glennon in many ways. Michael Meehan still has class. That ball he put into the square was lovely and he got a great free early in the match. Army was exceptional considering the circumstances in the second half. He was pretty much stuck in half back mode. I feared for that midfield going into the match and they were demolished.

But yeah everything else is what we've come to expect. There is no such thing as a soft match for this side come qualifiers. I thought we'd either win today or come out of it in great shape for the 1st round qualifier. That was a beating that will take a long time for those guys to recover from and I'm not holding out hope of the 9 year curse being broken.

I'd never be as outright to say they shamed the footballing community in Galway like some of my fellow-fans on the way out but it's tough to watch the spiral from All-Ireland winners in 2001 to the bottom tier of counties.

Well if you dont point out the negatives, you will never fix them and work on them.

Im glad Cummins seems to have played well though. He is light at this level but he has a lot of heart.

Yes they will bate them.
    The negatives aren't a new thing sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Yes they will bate them.
    Magical stuff from Mayo though it must be said that was one of the worst Galway sides they have ever faced.

Yes they will bate them.

Agree.

I wrote this after the Wexford game.
    Was there yesterday, a very mixed bag.
    That was probably the most ball I've seen a Galway midfield catch in donkeys of years, we were a bit slack with the breaks.

What I found most with the footballers was that they struggled to make use of the possession when they had it.
    There was numerous times where at least 20 players bunched up the lines between each 65 around midfield.

Too often we saw the ball handpassed 4/5 yards around the midfield with the ball coming back into the corridor when offloaded to somebody out wide.

If we can work on our ball use, I'd actually be more optimistic about this coming summer.

Add to that we had a pathetic short kick out to the FB that was turned over in that game too, along with a line ball that was kicked to a Wexford player who I think ran in for a point.

Zero progress was made on team cohesion when in possession.
    This falls at the management/trainers feet in terms of player selection(we knew 5 years ago that Coleman can't play in midfield) and training preparation, also I'd have stuck 4/5 of this years U21s into the HB/HF line as they won some tremendous breaking ball putting their bodies on the line.
    It might have smacked of desperation but our Championship record showed we were desperate and a poor league was reason enough IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

It's pathetic when a Mayo team who never had to get out of 2nd gear beat us by 17 points at home. Shambolic stuff. One of the worst groups of players to ever wear the maroon jersey surely. Says a lot when we played better with 13 men. The downward spiral continues!

Yes they will bate them.

Well to be honest, I think some of them are. For example, the 2 Galway players being sent off. Galway have endured a lot of defeats in the last few years but I do not remember any player actually getting sent off in that manner.

Yes they will bate them.
    They never conceded 3-9 in a first half against Mayo either. Two stupid incidents from two beaten players that absolutely warranted a red. I'd attribute it to frustration TBH.

Yes they will bate them.
    They never conceded 3-9 in a first half against Mayo either. Two stupid incidents from two beaten players that absolutely warranted a red. I'd attribute it to frustration TBH.

Fair point. But they have been in losing positions before and would have been frustrated.

Frustration is not an excuse for their sending offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I never thought I'd see a result like that in Salthill or Tuam against Galway. There is a serious gulf in class in terms of player quality between the two sides at the moment.

Having said that though, Galway aren't helping themselves with the way they set up and play. They can win every Under 21 title from here to eternity but if they don't adapt to a modern style of football they won't be successful at senior level again any time soon. Setting up man-to-man and letting long balls into Michael Meehan - there's a lot more to football these days than that and Galway need to update how they play. They look like they are still stuck in a time warp somewhere around 1998 and that makes the gulf in class look bigger than it probably is.

The same goes in terms of physicality as well. Aidan O'Shea shoved two Galway lads off him towards the end there in front of the stand like he was swatting flys or something. If Mulholland hasn't got big changes lined up in terms of gameplan and training intensity (the personnel will obviously change a lot in the next few years) then he's not the man for that job.

I liked that there was a real bond between Andy Moran and the supporters towards the end there. He's had a long road back and he got some really deserved appreciation from the Mayo crowd during his 10 minutes on the field. Disappointed with the punches thrown by the Galway players - especially as they were two of the more experienced players on the team. Bradshaw running away and hiding over by the 45 metre line after he did it was a bit pathetic as well. Obviously they were really frustrated at that stage but that was just stupid - right in front of the officials both times as well. Crazy stuff.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Yes they will bate them.
    Not a result I expected and certainly didn't predict. Delighted to win, delighted it was Galway after the years of pain I have gotten from my Gway mates, but the result tells us nothing. The turns overs and Mayo possession was immense and the fitness and strength levels of the 2 teams was poles apart.
    cummins was v good for Galway, Meehan is still a lovely striker of a ball but is ruined by injury.

I KNOW I am biased but I thought, even though he gave 2 correct reds, that Duffy had a nightmare of a game, again. His lack of ability to ref is shocking at this stage.

Mayo SHOULD win Connaught now, but, there is always a "but" with Mayo. We will see. Happy as a hell after today, very strong performance and very strong bench.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Yes they will bate them.
    Oh ya, Leondias... ca bhfuil tu a mhac? I'm still waiting for a PM again off you ;)

Troll if ever there was one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

One other thing I had forgotten about until WJ mentioned it on his blog...the Galway warm up session before the game. I couldn't believe what I was watching, 20 metre dashes and then random half arsed shooting at the posts.

Down the other end Mayo had split into two groups and were knocking lumps out of each other in warm up mini games. The Galway warm up was more like a Junior B effort.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder whether Mulholland has any chance of taking Galway forward. It's a tough one, because you can't just keep changing the manager, but there's a big difference between grouping a bunch of young lads together to win an Under 21 and the commitment and attention to detail needed to be a top manager at senior level these days. Kevin Walsh has his critics and they may have a point, but he would at least add a bit of steel and tactical nous to the natural ability that should start to show in the panel in the next few years. Mulholland seems far too traditional (nicer word for outdated) in his approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

One other thing I had forgotten about until WJ mentioned it on his blog...the Galway warm up session before the game. I couldn't believe what I was watching, 20 metre dashes and then random half arsed shooting at the posts.

Down the other end Mayo had split into two groups and were knocking lumps out of each other in warm up mini games. The Galway warm up was more like a Junior B effort.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder whether Mulholland has any chance of taking Galway forward. It's a tough one, because you can't just keep changing the manager, but there's a big difference between grouping a bunch of young lads together to win an Under 21 and the commitment and attention to detail needed to be a top manager at senior level these days. Kevin Walsh has his critics and they may have a point, but he would at least add a bit of steel and tactical nous to the natural ability that should start to show in the panel in the next few years. Mulholland seems far too traditional (nicer word for outdated) in his approach.

A clued-in friend of mine correctly called him 'Sammon-lite'.

Yes they will bate them.

We were watching the same, completely different in approach and there was little time between Mayo leaving the warm up to taking the pitch, Gway left the warm up earlier and came onto the pitch maybe 4mins later, that "pump" will have left the legs a bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Last time Mayo won an all Ireland, 1951, 62 years ago, enough said.

And if any of ye Mayo lads want to continue our conversation any further, pm me, dont want to be filling up this thread with your nonsense about how ye THINK you're going to finally do it this year. Its too early on a Monday morning for jokes;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,142 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

leonidas83 wrote: »

And if any of ye Mayo lads want to continue our conversation any further, pm me, dont want to be filling up this thread with your nonsense about how ye THINK you're going to finally do it this year. Its too early on a Monday morning for jokes;)

ok thanks for that.
    MODS please lock the thread now, the above poster no longer wishes to take part in the discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

yop wrote: »
    I KNOW I am biased but I thought, even though he gave 2 correct reds, that Duffy had a nightmare of a game, again. His lack of ability to ref is shocking at this stage.

agree totally. Im not blaming the ref for that performance (if only we could) but he was terrible. Championship football deserves better.

I really couldn't believe the game. What can you say really, galway were totally blitzed. I was fearful that with Hanley out that a lack of leadership in defence would emerge but never to the degree seen. It'll take a lot to get over that. when will the first round qualifiers be drawn?

Yes they will bate them.

And the last time Galway got HAMMERED like that was 1907, enough said.
    We do our talking in public, not sheeping behind PM's.
    Anyway no more time wasted with this trolling.

Yes they will bate them.
    c_man wrote: »
    agree totally. Im not blaming the ref for that performance (if only we could) but he was terrible. Championship football deserves better.

I really couldn't believe the game. What can you say really, galway were totally blitzed. I was fearful that with Hanley out that a lack of leadership in defence would emerge but never to the degree seen. It'll take a lot to get over that. when will the first round qualifiers be drawn?

I think I heard someone mentioned 3 weeks but not sure. Will be hard for Mulholland to lift them young lads but the only way is up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

yop wrote: »
    And the last time Galway got HAMMERED like that was 1907, enough said.
    We do our talking in public, not sheeping behind PM's.
    Anyway no more time wasted with this trolling.

No one is hiding here, happy to meet you anytime to discuss it further. List of All Ireland's Galway have won since Mayo last one

List of All Ireland titles overall, Galway-9, Mayo-3. It really does look as if ye do your talking in public & not much else.

Its all well & good looking great in the quarter finals of the Connacht championship but it's another thing altogether when you get to the big stage & thats where Mayo consistently fail to deliver. Thats where it counts. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭Panrich

Definite win for galway, will be roaring them on all the match. Looking forward to them putting the nearly men back in their box

I'm not sure that too many will be following you over the cliff in future given your spectacular misread of this game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Definite win for galway, will be roaring them on all the match. Looking forward to them putting the nearly men back in their box

:D
    No one is hiding here, happy to meet you anytime to discuss it further. List of All Ireland's Galway have won since Mayo last one

List of All Ireland titles overall, Galway-9, Mayo-3. It really does look as if ye do your talking in public & not much else.

Its all well & good looking great in the quarter finals of the Connacht championship but it's another thing altogether when you get to the big stage & thats where Mayo consistently fail to deliver. Thats where it counts. End of story.

If copying and pasting from Wikipedia is the best you can do then it's time for you to bow out of this thread (and probably discussion of GAA in general) before you embarrass yourself even more.

Why the mods aren't taking action against such an obvious (and poor) troll is beyond me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement