Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Galway bate Mayo?

Options
  • 15-05-2013 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

The big game out west this Sunday and it deserves a thread of it's own. Salthill the venue, the last championship meeting between the two ended in a six point win for Mayo.

Current odds with paddy powers

Galway 7/4
    Mayo 4/7

I think Mayo will win, the experience they have to bring off the bench will prove the difference.

Do you think will Galway bate Mayo? 30 votes

They haven't a hope of batin' Mayo
    0%
    Yes they will bate them.
    100%
    yoptony-odBlackjackaidan24326spiritcrusherjvm76[Deleted User]seligehgitbaz15Diabhal BeagBarlettjwcurtinpadd b1975ColeTrainmayo_ladPadkirInchicoreDudeft9sanbrafyffeJFlah 30 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Looking forward to this. Good to start the championship with a high profile game. Cant see past a Mayo win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Yes they will bate them.
    I should preface this by saying I thought we'd be beaten by Roscommon this time last year so take that for what it's worth. Just can't see this Galway side that is very limited with regards to a midfield and a half-forward line doing enough damage and keeping Mayo at bay. I can see the mind-games starting already with the lineup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Yes they will bate them.
    The big game out west this Sunday and it deserves a thread of it's own. Salthill the venue the last championship meeting between the two ended in a six point win for Mayo.

Mayo won that by a point in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

I should preface this by saying I thought we'd be beaten by Roscommon this time last year so take that for what it's worth. Just can't see this Galway side that is very limited with regards to a midfield and a half-forward line doing enough damage and keeping Mayo at bay. I can see the mind-games starting already with the lineup.

I think these areas could be the least of our worries. That defence just looks awful to me. Even though Mayo are missing their best forwards I would be worried about that defence. I see midfield holding their own with Coleman always upping his game for Mayo while I might be a bit over expectant but I think O'Curraoin could show what he is capable for the future especially with Barry Moran out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Definite win for galway, will be roaring them on all the match. Looking forward to them putting the nearly men back in their box

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Yes they will bate them.
    Leonidas83 before Mayo played Cork in 2011
    Originally Posted by leonidas83
    No wont be laughing, will just have a nice smarmy smile on my face come Sunday evening. We can come on here on Sunday evening and compare scores.Mayo are in for a good beating and I wouldnt usually take pleasure in that, but with guys like your man back there I will be glad of it this time

And with the odds, you should check that out with the bookies yourself, i know what I'm betting on and know what I'm about to win
    Originally Posted by leonidas83
    Jesus ye Mayo lads are touchy, I'm not even trying to wind ye up and look at ye. Look here buddy, ill tell you some home truths, Mayo are an overated, one sport county with delusions of grandeur about how good their team is. Limerick have both Hurling and Fooball teams, a city with troubles in certain parts but give me Limerick city anyday over that hole ye call Castlebar or any of those dives around it. Roscommon should have beaten ye if it were not for the atrocious conditions in the second half.

Final score Mayo 1-13 Cork 2-06

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Yes they will bate them.
    ColeTrain wrote: »
    Mayo won that by a point in 2009.
    Yes that would be the last meeting in Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Yes they will bate them.
    The big game out west this Sunday and it deserves a thread of it's own. Salthill the venue, the last championship meeting between the two ended in a six point win for Mayo.

Current odds with paddy powers

Galway 7/4
    Mayo 4/7

I think Mayo will win, the experience they have to bring off the bench will prove the difference.

That will be the difference alright very strong and experienced Mayo bench.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Yes they will bate them.
    ColeTrain wrote: »
    Leonidas83 before Mayo played Cork in 2011

Final score Mayo 1-13 Cork 2-06

LOL, think that proves the point.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Yes they will bate them.
    Expect it to be close, especially with Mayos inexperienced forward line, that with the loss of B Moran will keep the game tight. Meehan if fit and Armstrong if finding form will cause Keane problems.
    Mayo should come out of it with 2 or 3 point win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Yes they will bate them.
    Yeah here's hoping for a win for the Green and Red,tbh I know very little about the current Galway team.But Mayo Galway games are usually tight irrespective of form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Yes they will bate them.
    I'd imagine there won't be any great surprise here, the game could be tighter than it should purely because it's Galway vs Mayo but Mayo should get through in the end. I think we could've thrown on one of this year's u21's like Walsh, Comer or Moran but they're all very young yet. I just don't think we've enough flexible and quick thinking players to keep up with Mayo's experience. Players like Duane, Meehan and Conroy could cause problems for them, particularly Duane from the backline if he hits form. FOC is a bit of an unknown at senior as he's never really hit the heights of u21 level, but his recent run of form against essentially senior level midfields from Kildare and Cork hopefully has given him a confidence boost. Similar story with Flynn. For Galway to have any chance at all, midfield really needs to click.
    Still fancy Mayo to come through.

Sorry forgot how mayo got on that year. I have vague recollections of them sh*tting their pants against Kerry in the semis. God that was a good day:)
    ye mayo boys are so easy to wind up, plan on making some more more money this year:) BOOM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Sorry forgot how mayo got on that year. I have vague recollections of them sh*tting their pants against Kerry in the semis. God that was a good day:)
    ye mayo boys are so easy to wind up, plan on making some more more money this year:) BOOM

Mayo lads aren't the only ones easily wound up. I remember receiving some nice PMs from you after you were called up on your laughable predictions after the Mayo-Cork game. Have you not got a proper team to support or can you only get your kicks from trolling other fans?

Grow up and let the adults discuss the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Yes they will bate them.
    Head to Head: Championship clashes the last decade.

2011 - Mayo 1-12 Galway 1-6 (Connacht semi-final)
    2009 - Galway 1-14 Mayo 2-12 (Connacht final)
    2008 - Mayo 1-14 Galway 2-12 (Connacht final)
    2007 - Galway 2-10 Mayo 0-9 (Connacht quarter final)
    2006 - Mayo 0-12 Galway 1-8 (Connacht final)
    2005 - Galway 0-10 Mayo 0-8 (Connacht final)
    2004 - Mayo 0-18 Galway 1-9 (Connacht semi-final)
    2003 - Galway 1-14 Mayo 0-13 (Connacht final)

• Site Banned Posts: 3 Bill The Butcher

Galway to win by 4 points I reckon.

I think Mayo will have too much in the tank for Galway this time around. They will be strong in midfield with the two O'Sheas and the backs are almost at full-strength and should have enough to contain Meehan and the rest. There has been concern about the forward line, Doherty and Conroy will be big losses but Carolan has put in some good performances and if McLoughlin can play to his ability then there should be just enough firepower to see them through. The subs bench is quiet strong as well, the likes of Dillon, Feeney and Cunniffe will make an impact if they are brought on. Hard to know if Andy Moran will be brought on, maybe if things take a real turn for the worse but Horan won't want to chance him unless things are going down the pan!

Mayo by four points.

Dude I don't even remember you, I'll let the football do the talking. It usually shows mayo up for what ye are. Keep referring back to the cork game but I've made much more on ye since. Be happy to meet you at the game on Sunday for a 'friendly' chat if you'd like before ye do the usual & sh*t your pants:)

Mayo lads aren't the only ones easily wound up. I remember receiving some nice PMs from you after you were called up on your laughable predictions after the Mayo-Cork game. Have you not got a proper team to support or can you only get your kicks from trolling other fans?

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Dude I don't even remember you, I'll let the football do the talking. It usually shows mayo up for what ye are. Keep referring back to the cork game but I've made much more on ye since. Be happy to meet you at the game on Sunday for a 'friendly' chat if you'd like before ye do the usual & sh*t your pants:)

Bet on a two-horse race often enough and you'll make something out of it, it's not rocket science. See you at the game so, I'll be the one wearing the green and red :D

Yes they will bate them.
    Head to Head: Championship clashes the last decade.

2011 - Mayo 1-12 Galway 1-6 (Connacht semi-final)
    2009 - Galway 1-14 Mayo 2-12 (Connacht final)
    2008 - Mayo 1-14 Galway 2-12 (Connacht final)
    2007 - Galway 2-10 Mayo 0-9 (Connacht quarter final)
    2006 - Mayo 0-12 Galway 1-8 (Connacht final)
    2005 - Galway 0-10 Mayo 0-8 (Connacht final)
    2004 - Mayo 0-18 Galway 1-9 (Connacht semi-final)
    2003 - Galway 1-14 Mayo 0-13 (Connacht final)

That's not a bad record considering the overall picture the past 11 years.
    We've really been in a slump for a long time now, varied leagues but the same old story in the Championship.

One area we won't lack in this time compared to most of those years is midfield.
    We must have had the poorest midfield in the country bar none between 2004-2012.

But from seeing us during the league this year, I have to say a fair amount of clean ball was caught which hasn't happened for a long time.
    The main problem I saw this year was the team shape when on attack, players were bunching up and running into each other spaces. Giving silly off the head hand passes that put the receiver in danger and cough up the ball more often than not.

However it's a lot easier to work on team shape then it is to train a team to catch and win breaking ball in midfield so there's more scope for improvement as we head into the championship from the league.

While I'm not exactly expecting a win. I think this will at last be the year we bury our 1 point qualifier exits, the strongest possible first round team apart from the loser of this game will possibly be Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Barlett

Yes they will bate them.
    Bet on a two-horse race often enough and you'll make something out of it, it's not rocket science. See you at the game so, I'll be the one wearing the green and red :D

I missed leonidas83 being around last year...glad to see he's back this year. He's like a lucky charm for Mayo at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 22,279 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I have no opinion on this one, but I love the way the poll is phrased!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Yes they will bate them.
    I think Galway could run them close....but I expect Mayo's experience to pull them through in the end.

Mayo forward line doesn't look as dangerous as it might...could find it hard to get scores. Galway have been poor in recent years, but if they click, their inside-forward line has some good players and between O'Curraoin, Flynn, Conroy, etc. they have some good players in the middle third to win ball, which has been a big problem.

Yes they will bate them.

Lol I recall receiving the same, looking over the posts on all threads I think you have nailed it on the head, troll to the teeth.
    Dude... your from Galway, not LA.

Anyway, ignore the troll. Should be a good game regardless.

'I'd kill for a pint of porter' should be a poll option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Galway playing at home against a Mayo side starting this game without IMO their best midfielder Barry Moran and best forwards Alan Dillion,Andy Moran. No Conroy, Doherty,Regan,Gallagher,Cathal Freeman either this game will really test Mayo's strength in depth. Logic still says a Mayo win, Galway weren't great in the league and the last championship game they played in Salthill they lost to Sligo however i have a feeling Galway may pull off a shock win on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Yes they will bate them.
    Galway playing at home against a Mayo side starting this game without IMO their best midfielder Barry Moran and best forwards Alan Dillion,Andy Moran. No Conroy, Doherty,Regan,Gallagher,Cathal Freeman either this game will really test Mayo's strength in depth. Logic still says a Mayo win, Galway weren't great in the league and the last championship game they played in Salthill they lost to Sligo however i have a feeling Galway may pull off a shock win on Sunday.

I'd rate Aidan O'Se as a far better midfielder than Barry Moran.

Who has the international rights for this game? I am not in Ireland at the moment so will miss it :-(

Yes they will bate them.

Seriously? They haven't a full game between them so I think we will be sound.

AOS would be a better midfielder in fairness than BM, but we will of course miss him.

Yes they will bate them.
    I'd rate Aidan O'Se as a far better midfielder than Barry Moran.

Who has the international rights for this game? I am not in Ireland at the moment so will miss it :-(

You will get it on Premier Sports, but thats a sub channel, so publs might have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Yes they will bate them.
    Aidan O'Se plays better in midfield along side Barry Moran. If Barry was fit i think Horan probably would have started AOS at centre half forward.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement