Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rift going F2P June 12th

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

So guys are yas setting up a guild or what?
    Let me know, nothing worse than joining some random guild and knowing nobody and being excluded from everything until you make an impact so to speak, id be well up for a boards guild.
    Im on Icewatch but can transfer if theres gonna be some bordsies form a guild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Dcully wrote: »
    So guys are yas setting up a guild or what?
    Let me know, nothing worse than joining some random guild and knowing nobody and being excluded from everything until you make an impact so to speak, id be well up for a boards guild.
    Im on Icewatch but can transfer if theres gonna be some bordsies form a guild.

I just joined up with morgana on blightweald. Guildies seem cool enough :)

Limericks wrote: »
    I just joined up with morgana on blightweald. Guildies seem cool enough :)

Big guild?

morgana wrote: »
    Yes it does work. ALways remember to do a full scan first. Also it filters, check that the drop-down box is set to All
    It saves an enormous amount of time reposting your unsolds :P

Oh, and now Blightweald is filling up. Was on High for the last few nights. So far, low level chat is well behaved with hradly any trolls. Sincerely hope it stays that way.

If you are looking for a long established mature & casual raiding guild, check us out Immortals

Tell us more about your guild mate :)
    Just on the website there and from what you say it seems exactly what im after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Not too big, nor do we want to be. I still want to be able to know a little bit about every name i see in gchat or logging on. We raid, but raid spots are very limited for the 20 mans (usually oversubscribed), please be aware of that. Other than that, I've been with some of the guildies going on 2 years :P We are going for stability over masses and have weathered a few hick-ups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I apply my Raptr code and yet it wants a credit card/sub plan set up?

Not too big, nor do we want to be. I still want to be able to know a little bit about every name i see in gchat or logging on. We raid, but raid spots are very limited for the 20 mans (usually oversubscribed), please be aware of that. Other than that, I've been with some of the guildies going on 2 years :P We are going for stability over masses and have weathered a few hick-ups.

Sounds perfect, ill submit an application asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I apply my Raptr code and yet it wants a credit card/sub plan set up?

That's normal. I think you get the 30 days and it will charge to your sub after. You can just set up a sub and cancel after afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

This game is absolutely phenomenal. I swear, every minute more I play the better and better it gets. So glad I've gotten an opportunity to play it. Definitely gonna be here for a long time.

This game is absolutely phenomenal. I swear, every minute more I play the better and better it gets. So glad I've gotten an opportunity to play it. Definitely gonna be here for a long time.

Told ya GW2 sucked compared to other mmos :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Dcully wrote: »
    Told ya GW2 sucked compared to other mmos :)

I have to admit GW2 lost its appeal to me after a few months. The lack of trinity and the bots started getting to me. The last few months it's been Planetside 2, Rift for a few months and loads of F2P's. The non commitment to subscribing to Rift has brought me back. Smart move on their part. I'll probably spend more money than I did subscribing to the game. I've already spent about 80 euro's on Planetside 2. :)

There is a reason I've been playing Rift since Beta :P.
    We just hope F2P will not affect raiders (especially casual raiders), they are keeping BiS gear out of the shop, but it will depend on if or how soon after T2 is released T1 raid gear is available for purchase. If its with a long delay, I probably will be able to live with it, otherwise they will alienate their, admittedly small, but very vocal raider player base :P
    In fairness, they have always added another way to catch up with the current raid tier, usually with crafted (expensive) gear, which would have allowed you to mostly bypass the (first) obsolete raid tier.

The other major issue going forward are server queues which are already a fact of life on IW. Blightweald is so far ok, but I see that changing rapidly with people moving off IW to BW and the influx of new players continuing unabated.
    We will need at least 2 more European English speaking servers I reckon, I dread June 12th for that reason alone :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

What realm/shard are you all on then? I'm on Icewatch as Defiant myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

MagicIRL wrote: »
    What realm/shard are you all on then? I'm on Icewatch as Defiant myself.

I was on icewatch but changed too Blightweald. No queues and less lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Im in a nice guild if your looking for one while leveling up send me a mail or message me if im online my names Repenter on icewatch or if im not on try summers or summersx.

There is a reason I've been playing Rift since Beta :P.
    We just hope F2P will not affect raiders (especially casual raiders), they are keeping BiS gear out of the shop, but it will depend on if or how soon after T2 is released T1 raid gear is available for purchase. If its with a long delay, I probably will be able to live with it, otherwise they will alienate their, admittedly small, but very vocal raider player base :P
    In fairness, they have always added another way to catch up with the current raid tier, usually with crafted (expensive) gear, which would have allowed you to mostly bypass the (first) obsolete raid tier.

The other major issue going forward are server queues which are already a fact of life on IW. Blightweald is so far ok, but I see that changing rapidly with people moving off IW to BW and the influx of new players continuing unabated.
    We will need at least 2 more European English speaking servers I reckon, I dread June 12th for that reason alone :P.

I'm going to assume that, like any other MMO, the day of the 12th is going to be hell for everyone and anyone (especially Trion because they're going to have to deal with all the people who have never logged on "patch day" expecting to just waddle in with no problems).

Anyone who owns the game and wants some game time before it goes F2P?

https://twitter.com/Riftgame/status/339533787979448321

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Could anyone offer some advice about the available shards (realms)? I'm looking to jump back into Rift after being away since my free month sub when I bought the collectors edition (just plain didn't have time and was already playing WoW).

Logged in there today and all my characters are on a trial shard, any feedback on the realms? I was thinking of Icewatch myself but could easily setting for one of the others apart from Bloodiron.

Came from an RP realm background from WoW (on the server but didn't RP). Overall I find RP realms to have a better mix of folk so Argent is a strong contender too...I simply can't make my mind up.

Any help appreciated.

It really depends where your focus will be.
    There are 4 EU English designated shards: Icewatch (PvE), Blightweald (PvE), Argent(PvE-RP) and Bloodiron (PvP)
    Being a PvE player I cannot say anything about Bloodiron except that PvP server got totally depopulated due some changes made by Trion (doing away with the faction device for PvE mainly).

IW is the highest pop shard with nightly server queues as far as I know, BW (my server) is nicely populated, sitting on high in the evenings, with a sizable recent influx of new players. So far lowbie chat has been reasonably well behaved, a lot of help is offered by other players. And of course, the apparently unavoidable WOW comparisons (sigh).
    Argent, well, it used to be my home server until all the big raiding guilds transferred off. It is also getting an influx of new players, albeit at a much much lower rate than the other servers. It has a friendly community, RP is not required and nowadays usually happens in Dimensions. AS far as i know, there is one raiding guild left, but a couple of RP and PvE oriented guilds have become more active recently. However, it still suffers the problems associated woth low pop shards like less freqent events (although less of a problem now with x-shard eventing).

In conclusion, if you want a highly populated server with non-stop events but most likely queues, go for Icewatch. The chat tone / general climate is generally slightly less friendly compared to the other shards (trolls!). Also great competition for resources. Large choice of established guilds recruiting. Lag can be an issue. Very active and well stocked AH (Auction House).
    Blightweald, for me at least, is busy enough and reasonably friendly. PLenty of guilds to chose from. Large influx of new players with loads of new guilds :P. Hardly any lag except for large events like Volan. No queues (yet). Reasonably active AH,.

Argent: Quiet, friendly, small fairly close-knit community. Infrequent events. Few guilds but new one have started up recently. One (maybe one and a half) raiding guild. AH is very bad.

Blightweald, for me at least, is busy enough and reasonably friendly. PLenty of guilds to chose from. Large influx of new players with loads of new guilds :P. Hardly any lag except for large events like Volan. No queues (yet). Reasonably active AH,.

Aye I'm fairly certain I'm going for Blightweald. App'd for your the guild you're in as well as it seems like a nice fit. I've an open application under the pseudonym Drebinglock.

• Advertisement

Ah thats you :P You got some comments :P

Indeed, already read them. Happy with the answers, it was more for my own curiosity sake.

I cannot recommend morgana`s guild enough.
    Im a returning player a few weeks now and ive found the guild to be nothing but friendly and fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

If anyone is on icewatch give me a shout fluffy bunny squads is the place to be.
    we will hook you up with some bags if needed msg Repenter

Dying to get stuck into this next week when it's raining again!

E: Got to 40 and the sun came :P

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Hey, so I decide(got talked in to) trying out this game. I got one of those raptr codes so would that mean I can start playing it once I finish downloading the game even though f2p only starts at 12th of June?
    If so, any recommendations as to what class should I play , I'm currently leaning towards a mage class, but there are too many choices :) So what would be the best option for a new player?

Thanks in advance,
    Darius.

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    Hey, so I decide(got talked in to) trying out this game. I got one of those raptr codes so would that mean I can start playing it once I finish downloading the game even though f2p only starts at 12th of June?
    If so, any recommendations as to what class should I play , I'm currently leaning towards a mage class, but there are too many choices :) So what would be the best option for a new player?

Thanks in advance,
    Darius.

Not too sure how it works myself but apparently once you download the game you need to log-in for 20 hours (via Raptr) and then you get everything for free. Apparently people are just letting the game idle for 20 hours.

http://raptr.com/game/Rift/rewards/rift-storm-legion

The raptr code (if you already have it and applied to your Trion account) will give you the entire game incl. SL and lock in those benefits for f2p (6 char slots, all bag slots, SL souls).
    The best thing to do is try out a few of the template builds (the ones you see when you first make a character) to find your feet and start playing around with builds when you have a better idea how things work. Mage and Cleric are both nice for beginners, if you have the SL souls try a Harbinger/Chloro build or any build with with a pet, Ele/pyro.
    The official forum has a large class section, reading up a bit on your class will help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Tried to login today after not playing in a few weeks and I have completely unplayable lag. I get d/ced constantly and when I do manage to get in the lag spikes to 10k+ and I can't do a thing.

Have been reading the forums and supposedly this is a big problem for a lot of people at the moment who are experiencing the exact same issue but it has been on going for days now with no sign of improvement.

Have done all the usual, check router, firewall and port settings and no joy. Very frustrating!

• Advertisement

No lag at all for me, played about an hour yesterday and no problem at all.
    Played a few hours over the weekend also and no lag.

Seems weird for sure if many are getting it and others none.

Advertisement