Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Betting MegaThread *** See Mod warning in post #2 & 214***

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Bethpage Black is really long. It favours big hitters, the greens are handy enough but well protected by bunkers and you need to have a good medium to long iron game.

Outright

Jason Day
    Gary Woodland
    Bubba Watson

Leader after round 1

Tony Finau - he always starts well and then bottles it.
    Cameron Champ @ 200 /1 8 places. He is huuuuuuuuuge off the tee.
    Lucas Bjerregaard

Rahm (just cant look past his driving this year)

Bubba (bubba goes well on bubba tracks no stats will ever back it up)

Thompson, berger, fisher to round it out.

I do really like Rory but I aint backing a golfer sub 13/1 unless its my only bet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Brooks win
    Sergio place
    Rickie place
    Wallace place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Bethpage Black is really long. It favours big hitters, the greens are handy enough but well protected by bunkers and you need to have a good medium to long iron game.

Outright

Jason Day
    Gary Woodland
    Bubba Watson

Leader after round 1

Tony Finau - he always starts well and then bottles it.
    Cameron Champ @ 200 /1 8 places. He is huuuuuuuuuge off the tee.
    Lucas Bjerregaard

Powers and Boyles paying 10 places

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Their prices are absolutely awful. Nearly every golfer is a worse price than Bet 365. Patrick Reed for example, 55/1 in Boyles and 60/1 in Paddy power with 10 places.
    75/1 with 8 places on Bet365. I know where I won't be doing my betting......

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

Brooks win for me 10/1
    Pieters each way 150/1
    Good luck all

Only 8 places for first round leader. You need to concentrate harder, it's not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Raving_Magic

Quite fancy DJ, Sergio or Finau to be first round leader. Sergio has done well on the course and Finau seems to always start quick in majors. DJ record speaks for itself and a big hitter will surely be the winner this week and DJ is one of the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

Here's mine for the week, all each way. Like most, I've gone for longer hitters:

Jason Day @ 22/1
    Tony Finau @ 33/1
    Xander Schauffele @ 28/1
    JB Holmes @ 200/1
    Gary Woodland @ 66/1

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Have a feeling for Lowry his week 100/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

My team is Day, Cantlay, Howell III, Glover, Wise, Poulter and Louis.
    Backed Casey, Cabrera Bello and Kokrak for 1st round leader.

Obviously Rory, DJ and Tiger are the big guns but I'll add some of them if their price goes out a bit.
    I was all about Koepka but his driving and scramblng hasn't been up to scratch this season and you need to be top notch in those areas at this course.
    Loved hearing Bruce explain about hanging around and not looking to win. He said you just gotta hang around and good things happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Went with Fowler and Molinari

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

paulie21 wrote:
    Went with Fowler and Molinari
    Not a good start for your guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Meant to get into the bookies this morning. ****e

Myself and the wife will be doing

Shuffles, Garcia, Reed, Stenson, Fleetwood, Wallace, bjerregard and 50 cent each way on the beemer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I'm after having a punt on rory missing the cut at 6 to 1. Apart from that I think it hard to call the winner

Absolutely sick that I didn't get into the bookies in time to do beemer to make the cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,731 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rikand wrote: »
    Absolutely sick that I didn't get into the bookies in time to do beemer to make the cut.

Should have just logged in on your phone!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,615 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

What were the odds on that I wonder? I know he was about 2500/1 to win

Should have just logged in on your phone!

They want my passport and/or some other form of ID to make an account and that's a level of association I don't want to have with a bookies

NDWC wrote: »
    What were the odds on that I wonder? I know he was about 2500/1 to win

13/1 I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,615 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

13/1 I think

Wow if I'd known that beforehand I'd definitely have put a few euro on it

82 for beemer today though. Yikes

NDWC wrote: »
    Wow if I'd known that beforehand I'd definitely have put a few euro on it

82 for beemer today though. Yikes

He wasn't even the highest price. Think some of the club pros that made the cut were 18/1 or higher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

I feel that Jim Furyk has a huge chance of winning the US Open in Pebble Beach this week. He is an accurate ball-striker as you can get. He will make very few mistakes. He is in the top 10 for greens in regulation stats on the PGA Tour and 1st in driving accuracy. He played brilliantly tee to green last week but could not hole a putt, on route to a solid top 30 finish in the Canadian Open. He is also a former US Open champion too.

At 125/1 with a small number of bookmakers and with most bookies paying out between 8 to 10 places, I feel this could be a productive week for the man nicknamed "Gentleman Jim".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭tinpib

On Speith at 23, Molinari 48, Webb Simpson 55, DeChaembeau 80, Kaymer 150 on Betfair to win.

Also waiting to get bets matched on top 10 on Betfair as well.

High Low Tide times for Monterrey peninsula.

https://tides4fishing.com/us/california/monterey#_tides

Tee Times for Thursday.

https://www.usopen.com/tee-times.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

I’ll go with Brooks for the win again. 9/1 is a very fair price. How can you go against him anymore!!!

Not much said about Molinari so will go with him e/w

A few outsider bets in Jim Furyk and Martin Kaymer!! Both in good form.

I have backed McElroy to lead after round 1, 20/1 8 places with PP. Hopefully he is still in the zone.

I have had a mug bet on Phil Mickelson at 40's as well. Love to see him win a US open and he has won a few times around Pebble Beach before.

I have had a small ew on Snedeker for the same reason.

The wind is not forecast to be anything over 10 mph, however this morning's early tee times will benefit from a low tide and won't be as susceptible to gusts. Very late starters could also benefit from the tide going back out. Given that I have had a few ew flutters on the following early/late starters for round 1 leader, Justin Harding ( late ) and Scott Piercy (early), at 100/1 I won't miss the tenner tomorrow if they turn out to be a pile of shight.

Being a big hitter won't do you any harm around Pebble Beach but the big requirement is accuracy. US Open rough will be unplayable so the likes of Woodland, Koepke, Watson etc will all struggle if they are not peppering the fairway.

Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Cross-Posting from Gambling forum:

Viktor Hovland best amateur.

Won US Amateur Open at Pebble Beach in 2018 and was best amateur at the Masters this year.

Snedeker FRL
    Mickelson, Justin Thomas, Oosthuizen, Rose outright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I have backed McElroy to lead after round 1, 20/1 8 places with PP. Hopefully he is still in the zone.

I have had a mug bet on Phil Mickelson at 40's as well. Love to see him win a US open and he has won a few times around Pebble Beach before.

I have had a small ew on Snedeker for the same reason.

The wind is not forecast to be anything over 10 mph, however this morning's early tee times will benefit from a low tide and won't be as susceptible to gusts. Very late starters could also benefit from the tide going back out. Given that I have had a few ew flutters on the following early/late starters for round 1 leader, Justin Harding ( late ) and Scott Piercy (early), at 100/1 I won't miss the tenner tomorrow if they turn out to be a pile of shight.

Being a big hitter won't do you any harm around Pebble Beach but the big requirement is accuracy. US Open rough will be unplayable so the likes of Woodland, Koepke, Watson etc will all struggle if they are not peppering the fairway.

Looking forward to it.

If you look at the accuracy numbers though, they're not really enormously different, over 4 days doing a comparison of, for simplicities sake:

Furyk, Molinari, Tiger, Koepka, Rory & DJ

Over 56 holes, you'd be looking at (based on the average stats from PGA Tour):

Furyk - 41 Hit (average drive 275)
    Molin - 38 Hit (average drive 291)
    Tiger - 38 Hit (average drive 297)
    Rory - 35 Hit (average drive 315)
    Koep - 34 Hit (average drive 308)
    DJ - 31 Hit (average drive 310)

The FIR above is with all clubs, the distance is with Driver (the FIR with Driver numbers are negligibly different)

So, Furyk will hit roughly 2 more Fairways per round than Brooks, but Brooks hits the ball, on average, roughly 30yrds longer than Furyk.

Versus Rory, its 1.5 more hit per round, but giving up 40yrds on Average

Absolutely, with that rough, accuracy is a big factor, but I'm pretty sure that I read that the winners at Pebble (at both the majors & the AT&T) have generally been at the top end of the field in Distance off the tee rather than accuracy.

Aren't the greens quite small in Pebble, which would favour the guys coming in with less club surely? Also, my understanding is they're expecting the course to play relatively soft, so would make it play a bit longer off the tee

Advertisement