Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taming the marathon beast...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I think it's good that you've finally had that diagnosis. At least now you know what the issue was and will be in a position to keep it under control from now on. Today is the start of the your new, revived running career, starting with keeping that cyclist in his box ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I'd say just do Belfast like you would have before you got that diagnosis. Sure you'll be slower than optimum but at least you have a reason so you can have that as a very valid consolation of you fail to hit your target time. And then afterwards, when your asthma is under control, you will kick on and get even better times for sure. Seeing as the Doc says you may still run then there's no other problem really?

The main thing is you know what's sagging your performance and hopefully things will pick up for you from now on. Look at Claralara after she struggled through and then overcame the iron deficiency...her hard miles through the deficiency seemed to act as money in the bank and she hasn't looked back since (apart from taking the opportunity to see Meno's faceful of dust!).

As Gavlor says - you have just moved onto a new level with the diagnosis and things will only get better now that you can manage it!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

+1 to all of the above - at least now you know what you are dealing with - really hope Sunday works out for you Runchick in whatever form that now takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Thanks for all the encouragement guys, I've 48 hours to shift this sore throat which just isn't improving but plenty of rest between now and then will hopefully help. If I'm running I'll be racing - life's too short :)

@ Gavlor - putting the cyclist in his box is such a good motivator - he went and bought himself the latest and greatest garmin yesterday just for this race...adding fuel to my fire..he's goin down :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Best of luck on Sunday Runchick, I know there's no point in saying take it handy cos I'm sure you're going to go all out, so just run safe! Looking forward to the race report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Best of luck Runchick with the race, I'm sure the inhaler will be a great help for you now you finally got to the bottom of it! :)

Take hubby down at all costs! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Sorry to hear of the asthma Runchick but as the others have said least now you know what your dealing with and there will be no stopping you once you start treating it :) Best of luck on Sunday, especially with beating your OH :D

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Best wishes on Sunday Runchick , give it your best shot , sorry hear about your asthma , hopefully inhalers will soon have it all under control , looking forward to reading all about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I second the above. Hope you have more benign conditions than in Dublin this morning! Run well.

No HM for me this weekend, the sore throat has turned in to something much nastier resulting in a day on the sofa, barely able to walk never mind run and not able to go to work. Not overly bothered tbh as I just feel like cr@p. The news that some poor guy lost his life at the Dublin half today gives perspective, thoughts are with his family.

• Advertisement

Tough decision Runchick, but probably wise in the circumstances. Like everyone, I am just stunned by the news coming from Dublin, it's certainly sobering and puts things in perspective. I know we don't know what happened with that poor man, but it's a lesson that we should all be listening to our bodies and cutting ourselves some slack if we're not 100%

There'll be other races, just make sure you get back to full fitness and health. You'll be better for it in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

+1 to all of the above - ran today - shouldn't have after the way I felt all week and nothing was gained - you made the right choice - I will the next time - whatever happened that young man today it's just so sad RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Good decision. More races to follow!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Very sensible runchick get yourself sorted you have bigger fish to fry. As a wise old old man once said "keep the main thing the main thing"

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Very sensible runchick get yourself sorted you have bigger fish to fry. As a wise old old man once said "keep the main thing the main thing"

He may be old but not sure about wise! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Sorry you are still unwell RC. Get well soon. Remember you have to pace me to sub 4 next month;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Tough decision Runchick but the right one. Mind yourself and make sure you take all the rest you need. Get well soon.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Sorry you are still unwell RC. Get well soon. Remember you have to pace me to sub 4 next month;):D

Haha RR feels like mission impossible right now but I have my optimistic hat on for the next 5 weeks and fully intend to see you at the start line ;)
    Willie42 wrote: »
    +1 to all of the above - ran today - shouldn't have after the way I felt all week and nothing was gained - you made the right choice - I will the next time - whatever happened that young man today it's just so sad RIP

Aw Willie42 I'm sorry to hear yesterday didn't go to plan :( Put it behind you, we have much bigger fish to fry in 5 weeks :D

Strange Sunday - at home sick, no long run and OH left early to run a half marathon! Incidentally he finished comfortably in 1.50...how I wish I'd been on form for a smackdown :p Ah well I'm now eagerly awaiting taking him on sooner rather than later (before he trains for it and becomes a speedy so-and-so ;)). It'll be almost as exciting as a Blocky/Gavlor showdown ;)

Some may think I should give up on this running lark but I really feel like I'm only getting started. Many lessons learned over the past year or so - injury prevention/ listening to thy body/ eating well/ but probably the biggest for me is getting enough SLEEP when marathon training - I need 8 or 9 hours a night, when this doesn't happen I get sick. So I'm learning as I go, making all the mistakes, but as long as I learn from them sure things can only get better. And the whole asthma thing just makes it interesting...bucket list used to be 'marathon by 40', now its 'ultra by 40'....18 months or so to get there...bring it on :D

the drugs are making me all philosophical today, sorry for the ramble :p

Runchick wrote: »
    .bucket list used to be 'marathon by 40', now its 'ultra by 40'....18 months or so to get there...bring it on :D

Don't let belcarra et al see that one! I'm looking forward to an ultra where runchick, ncmc and career_move are all competing. :D

That Gavlor/Blockic showdown will never happen I think, We are happy to both claim we are faster than the other without going out to prove it! :pac:

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    Don't let belcarra et al see that one! I'm looking forward to an ultra where runchick, ncmc and career_move are all competing. :D

That Gavlor/Blockic showdown will never happen I think, We are happy to both claim we are faster than the other without going out to prove it! :pac:

Nah I think you and Gavlor have to make happen but has to be the beer mile, now that would be worth seeing :P

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Came across here to see your ultra plans, I didn't realise you'd missed a half as you're sick. Definitely the right thing not to run, pity I wasn't so wise :-)
    Get well soon and I'll follow your plans with interest

Nah I think you and Gavlor have to make happen but has to be the beer mile, now that would be worth seeing :P

I have no doubt that Gavlor would destroy me in a beer mile and I'm happy to admit it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Don't u just hate it when these men that don't even train are able to go out n run a 1.50 half!!! 😜 jealous.com . Fair play to him , that's a great run!
    Runchick what inhaler(s) u on? My 3 kids are asthmatic since birth. Just thinking seeing as u down with a cold, ? Chest inf . Maybe a diagnosis of asthma may not nessesary b correct ! Maybe it will all settle down after u get well again hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blockic wrote: »
    I have no doubt that Gavlor would destroy me in a beer mile and I'm happy to admit it! :D

Beer mile it is!!

Gavlor wrote: »
    Beer mile it is!!

Have to wait a few years til Blockic has the proper ID!

Some may think I should give up on this running lark but I really feel like I'm only getting started. Many lessons learned over the past year or so - injury prevention/ listening to thy body/ eating well/ but probably the biggest for me is getting enough SLEEP when marathon training - I need 8 or 9 hours a night, when this doesn't happen I get sick. So I'm learning as I go, making all the mistakes, but as long as I learn from them sure things can only get better. And the whole asthma thing just makes it interesting...bucket list used to be 'marathon by 40', now its 'ultra by 40'....18 months or so to get there...bring it on :D

I know more sleep is something I should be focusing on yet my internal clock refuses to let me sleep before 1am but has no problem allowing me to get three extra snoozes after 7am!

Joking aside Donadea in mid February is the perfect entry point for an Ultra. It's a short one (only(!) 31 miles) and the 5km loops mean that there's always someone near you so it never gets too lonely on the course.
    Normal marathon training will suffice for Donadea with maybe an extra LSR or a single back2back LSR weekend required.

If the timing means it comes too soon then Connemara Ultra is very doable in a 'get around the course' kind of way.
    Perhaps for Connemara you could in effect train for a marathon in early March and then just tack on three weekends of b2b LSRs in mid March.

Some people find that going that bit slower for a good while longer is much easier than racing a marathon or shorter. Beginning to think I might be firmly in that category!:rolleyes:

belcarra wrote: »
    I know more sleep is something I should be focusing on yet my internal clock refuses to let me sleep before 1am but has no problem allowing me to get three extra snoozes after 7am!

Joking aside Donadea in mid February is the perfect entry point for an Ultra. It's a short one (only(!) 31 miles) and the 5km loops mean that there's always someone near you so it never gets too lonely on the course.
    Normal marathon training will suffice for Donadea with maybe an extra LSR or a single back2back LSR weekend required.

If the timing means it comes too soon then Connemara Ultra is very doable in a 'get around the course' kind of way.
    Perhaps for Connemara you could in effect train for a marathon in early March and then just tack on three weekends of b2b LSRs in mid March.

Some people find that going that bit slower for a good while longer is much easier than racing a marathon or shorter. Beginning to think I might be firmly in that category!:rolleyes:

Dam you Belcarra putting silly ideas in my head...there I was looking up Connemara - it just happens to be on on my birthday, thought it was a sign...until today.....

got a ballot place for London- yippeeee :D:D:D:D

Dam you Belcarra putting silly ideas in my head...there I was looking up Connemara - it just happens to be on on my birthday, thought it was a sign...until today.....

got a ballot place for London- yippeeee :D:D:D:D

Perfect! Do a great run in London and with a few weeks rest you'll then have 8 weeks to train for Portumna 50km or 100km!!
    Thought you got away with it there, didn't ya?!:D

• Advertisement

Congrats runchick, what an amazing race to look forward to!

Totally bummed I seem to have missed out on the ballot :(

Advertisement