Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taming the marathon beast...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Gavlor wrote: »
    You know that I'd risk never running again just to lap you in that race :D

Modest as ever. See you on Sunday in Clonmel so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Modest as ever. See you on Sunday in Clonmel so.

It doesnt count if you add it to your post via edit button ;)

besides, I'm busy that day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Thur 15 Aug - recovery

4.53m @ 10.36 Av HR 139

Fri 16 Aug - rest

Sat 17 Aug - 20m LSR

20.14m @ 10.02 Av HR 152

Bloody windy day for this one! Stopped at home after 11 miles for the loo, a drink of water, a bite of a cliff bar and took a hand-held water bottle and a gel with me. To be honest I was struggling a bit with motivation more than anything and just wishing it to be over -never had this before :( Legs were absolutely fine but I did get a bit faint towards the end and was pretty drained when I got home. Food, rest, ice bath and shower later and I feel fine. Anyway glad to have it done, the gel gave me just about enough energy to finish but I may need to take more in future. Really can't imagine 26.2 at the minute but have faith that it'll all come together over the next 10 weeks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hang in there, Runchick. It's the tough runs that stand to you in the end. I had a fairly miserable one last week myself. You hung in there. I know you like to get out early but I run it worth it to have a good breakfast and wait a couple of hours. Anyway you know this already :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Well done A. Sounds like it was a tough 20 miler but the important thing is it's in the bag now .... onwards and upwards :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done on the 20 miler Runchick especially after recent illness. That Beast will be slain come Oct28 never mind Tamed!;);)

murphd77 wrote: »
    Hang in there, Runchick. It's the tough runs that stand to you in the end. I had a fairly miserable one last week myself. You hung in there. I know you like to get out early but I run it worth it to have a good breakfast and wait a couple of hours. Anyway you know this already :-)

Cheers Murph, I probably should eat more and run later but the guilt of taking up the whole day from the family kicks me out early :rolleyes: probably just need to eat more on the run...2 gel on anything over 20 I reckon
    Well done A. Sounds like it was a tough 20 miler but the important thing is it's in the bag now .... onwards and upwards :D

Def was mentally tough more than anything - haven't got bored during a run like that before :confused:
    RedRunner wrote: »
    Well done on the 20 miler Runchick especially after recent illness. That Beast will be slain come Oct28 never mind Tamed!;);)

Thanks RR I really hope you get back out there this week yourself :)

Sun 18 Aug - recovery

5.14m @ 10.53 Av HR 132

Week rounded off with 51 miles which is almost what my peak mileage week was for Limerick. I'm noticeably less tired this time around so taking that as a good sign. Mind you I'm deliberately running slower in every run except sessions - whether that pays off in 10 weeks time remains to be seen :rolleyes: Stepback week and extremely tempted to race a local 10k next weekend but don't think I will - think I'll just keep plugging away with the training in the hope I run a decent half in September.

Mon - rest day (stepback week so only running 5 days)

Tues 20 Aug - easy with strides

4.52m @ 9.36 Av HR 145 Max 169

Easy run with 7 x 100m strides to get the HR up, love, love love strides :D

Wed 21 Aug - session day

8.1m @ 8.52 Av HR 158 Max 175

2m w/u, 4 @ HMP, 2m c/d

(Planned) Actual splits:

(10)9.46, (10) 9.38, (8.15) 7.50, (8.15) 7.47, (8.15) 8.07, (8.15) 8.04, (10) 9.33, (10) 9.50
    Splits might look impressive but a bit of cheating was involved ;) Went out far too fast in first mile thinking I was great but paid for it big time. After 2 miles I was wrecked and HR was way too high so I stopped for a breather, got HR down and tackled the next 2 - aiming to keep them at target pace. Stopped briefly to use the loo during the 3rd mile too. Overall enjoyed the session but annoyed with myself for not doing 4 straight miles. I know starting conservatively is the way to go but just can't help myself when I get out there :rolleyes:

Back to doc today and starting another course of antibiotics. Last dose cleared the chest but haven't really shifted the stuffiness and sore ears from chest infection 3 weeks ago so hopefully will nail it this time. Hasn't really affected my running but will be good to feel 100% again, good timing with stepback week but I'll be monitoring things and not pushing things if I'm not up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Can't believe u running so well Runchick n still on antibiotics! U deserve a medal, well done! I'm feeling really inadequate reading about all the big miles everyone doing but as I not doing DCM ill have to suck it up! My hip still giving me fair amount of bother, especially after the hard workouts so know big mileage def out of the question. I considering doing a 10k race on Tuesday coming if hip not too bad. It's dessies run in derry n I did it last year, swore a few times during it though that I'd NEVER run again if I finished it! hoping to do about 15m tomoro n ill see how after that. Hope ur LSR goes well this weekend n u continue to improve to full health again soon. :)

• Advertisement

New runner wrote: »
    Can't believe u running so well Runchick n still on antibiotics! U deserve a medal, well done! I'm feeling really inadequate reading about all the big miles everyone doing but as I not doing DCM ill have to suck it up! My hip still giving me fair amount of bother, especially after the hard workouts so know big mileage def out of the question. I considering doing a 10k race on Tuesday coming if hip not too bad. It's dessies run in derry n I did it last year, swore a few times during it though that I'd NEVER run again if I finished it! hoping to do about 15m tomoro n ill see how after that. Hope ur LSR goes well this weekend n u continue to improve to full health again soon. :)

Thanks NR I love your positivity and optimism...saying I'm running well is a bit of a stretch - more cluelessly plodding around but sure its a bit of craic and I'm still enjoying it so that's the main thing :P I hope the hip holds out for you, let us know how you get on :)

Thur 22 Aug - recovery

4.18m @ 10.23 Av HR 134

Honestly can't remember this run :rolleyes:

Fri - rest

Sat 24 Aug - 14m LSR

14.07m @ 9.55 Av HR 148

Started with nice slow 10.20ish miles, slowly increasing speed and after 10m was feeling good so threw in 3 PMP miles (9.07, 9.19, 8.50). Felt good throughout.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that my running success is a mental battle more than physical. I went in to this run thinking its only 14 miles, hardly noticed the time going by, enjoyed it, felt good. Stark contrast from 20 last week when mentally I had it in my head it was a long slog and kind of dreaded it - really it was only today's run plus 6 miles...I would happily have tacked 6 miles on today because I was in the right frame of mind for it.

If I get my head in the right place the rest is easy ;)

Sun 25 Aug - recovery

4.56m @ 10.56 Av HR 132

Slow recovery plod on a glorious morning. Nice start to Sunday morning - and no need for newspapers with Boards race reports to read over coffee ;)

Stepback week complete - 35 miles done and dusted, feeling good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

+1 on the mental stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

another +1 on the mental side, I train alone and find the longer stuff above 14 a tough a slog from mile 1 yet breeze through an 11 miler on a Wednesday night. it doesn't make sense!

Did 6 miles this morning but felt tightness in my quad after a few sets of strides :( (continued on and did 8 sets - stupid I know :rolleyes:) Iced it but its been a dull ache all morning, pi$$ed off big time - felt bloody fantastic during the run - better than I have for a long time - really don't want a lay off at this stage :mad:. Have physio on Wed for a massage so I'll get it checked over then - was gonna do the session tomorrow but will see how this goes - it was fine until the speedy stuff so might just run easy...'stay positive, stay positive' she says through gritted teeth ;)

Mon 26 Aug

6m @ 9.49 Av HR 142 Max 165

Easy with 9 x 100m strides - sore quad run

Tues 27 Aug - session day

12.07m @ 9.15 Av HR 154

Plan w/u, 4, 3, 2, 1 @ MP with 3-4 min recoveries, c/d. Decided to head out this morning and see how the quad was - iced it last night and it felt ok this morning. I fully expected it to give me bother but headed out the door at 5.50am. I even put a blanket on the sofa fully expecting to be back home in 10 minutes for another hour's sleep before the kids got up :P

1m w/u no bother so headed into MP miles - 8.52, 8.45, 8.44, 8.48. Quad behaving, happy days, 3.5min recovery jog then next set of MP miles - 8.46, 8.38, 8.44. Starting to feel a dull tightness from quad and thought I'll stop if it gets sore. Next set @ MP 8.44, 0.8m @8.39 - felt a spasm from quad at this point so decided to call it a day. 1.5m from home so slowly jogged back. Happy enough to get 12m done all things considered. Physio tomorrow and hoping for good news.

On a positive note, I really enjoyed this run. MP is my favourite pace, its the only pace I can judge without a watch and I feel strong at that pace. Absolutely love MP sessions, great for the confidence :D

12.7 miles and its only 8.37??

Fair play

12.7 miles and its only 8.37??

Fair play

Best time of day for it - you should try it :P

Runchick wrote: »
    Best time of day for it - you should try it :P

I thought I had once, but then I woke with my face in a bowl of cornflakes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Great running Runchick, lets hope you can keep those niggles away because you are otherwise looking good for Dublin.

Nice of Gavlor to volunteer to join you for your 20 mile run this Saturday at 5:00 am :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yeah, well done, and good decision to stop when you did. Hope the physio looks after you!

Physio today. Strained quad muscle, grade 1+ strain whatever that means, requiring a week off running :( Not too bad but enough to cause much worse damage if I keep running on it so I'm gonna heed the advice and suck it up. Told I could cycle if it doesn't aggravate things...just back from a 9 mile spin on the bike and no problems so at least I can do that. I'll ignore the fact that I bloody hate the bike - I get sooo bored :rolleyes: Ah well looks like I don't have to feel guilty about a 3 hour run during our weekend away this weekend - I'll just have to slink off to the hotel pool for some cross training :p Glad I squeezed this week's session run in - all being well I'll be back in action in time for next week's fun :)

Sorry to hear about the injury but how dare you diss the two wheels.... You'll be divorced!

It's only a week, so it'll probably do you the world of good

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Sorry to hear about the injury but how dare you diss the two wheels.... You'll be divorced!

Sorry to hear u injured Runchick but at least u able to cross train so it's not too bad, u won't lose any fitness in that time esp when u can do some exercise . Enjoy your time away n try not to overdo it incase it makes the strain worse.

Bike equals faffing about, sore butt, lycra, feeling cold. Running equals pure bliss - simples ;)

Bike equals faffing about, sore butt, lycra

You said BIKE, right???!

You said BIKE, right???!

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Sorry to hear about this A - hope you're just getting your injuries out of the way early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Hope it's only a week Runchick. Speedy recovery and enjoy the break and come back strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Physio today. Strained quad muscle, grade 1+ strain whatever that means, requiring a week off running :( Not too bad but enough to cause much worse damage if I keep running on it so I'm gonna heed the advice and suck it up. Told I could cycle if it doesn't aggravate things...just back from a 9 mile spin on the bike and no problems so at least I can do that. I'll ignore the fact that I bloody hate the bike - I get sooo bored :rolleyes: Ah well looks like I don't have to feel guilty about a 3 hour run during our weekend away this weekend - I'll just have to slink off to the hotel pool for some cross training :p Glad I squeezed this week's session run in - all being well I'll be back in action in time for next week's fun :)

Tough break but the week will fly. What I want to know is what are you going to do at 6am in the morning now?

Hardly sleep? :pac::D

Advertisement