Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taming the marathon beast...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Runchick wrote: »
    Thanks ncmc I've been suspecting overtraining - well the only symptoms being proneness to illness and poor race performance. RHR is lower this week than it has been for a long time though :confused:

That coupled with a house full of little people who just love to catch bugs and share them - I suppose the training is lowering my immunity and eventually it all catches up :rolleyes:

I'll include you on my low mileage marathon plan..... For a small fee ;)

What does meno know anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Not much to report - respiratory infection, antibiotics, feeling pants, no running this week :(

This log is turning in to the 'what not to do when marathon training guide'... don't drink water during a marathon, race when not well, jaysus if she'd brains she'd be dangerous :rolleyes:

Ah don't be so tough on yourself A - this stuff happens. Just take a wee while to recover and then get back to it when you can enjoy it again. A few mornings lying in bed till a civilised hour won't do you any harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Gavlor wrote: »
    I'll include you on my low mileage marathon plan..... For a small fee ;)

What does meno know anyway!!

As I said on the main thread a while back, I really don't think anyone aiming for sub 4 needs to do all that mileage.
    You should take a look at the schedule 2 plan from last months Irish Runner Runchick.
    You have three kiddies to look after and running a house as well.
    Most of the runners from the Graduate thread who are running all this mileage do not have the type of commitments you have.
    I really think you would benefit from a lower mileage plan.

Big Logger wrote: »
    As I said on the main thread a while back, I really don't think anyone aiming for sub 4 needs to do all that mileage.
    You should take a look at the schedule 2 plan from last months Irish Runner Runchick.
    Most of the runners from the Graduate thread who are running all this mileage do not have the type of commitments you have.

Who? Me? Mileage? What now?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Big Logger wrote: »

Thanks for the concern BL but the mileage isn't as much about the marathon target as it is just that I like to run, simple as that. Yes I have 3 kids, run a house - also a part-time paid job, part-time voluntary job, doing a degree - those things cause stresses in my life which running helps to alleviate.

My view is that its not the mileage but the lack of a break that's my problem - I haven't really taken any rest time between DCM 12, Limerick in May and now this training cycle. In hindsight one marathon a year was probably enough, taking a complete break between goal targets would be wise, and building up the mileage a tad slower would have been smarter.

But hey we live and learn and I'm just glad that I have this log now to look back on and hopefully learn from in the future. Adapting to mileage is what I'm about...I'll never run fast but I hope to some day run really, really far ;)

• Advertisement

Yes I have 3 kids, run a house - also a part-time paid job, part-time voluntary job, doing a degree
    Way to go for making us all feel inadequate! :D
    I'll never run fast but I hope to some day run really, really far ;)
    Here we go - another ultra runner! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Adapting to mileage is what I'm about...I'll never run fast but I hope to some day run really, really far ;)
    Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Here we go - another ultra runner! :eek:

Belfast 24hr ;) I'll tell Aimman the good news :D

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Wishing you a speedy recovery Runchick. You def deserve the rest and you will come back all the better for it !

Belfast 24hr ;) I'll tell Aimman the good news :D

Ahem....unfortunately aspirations far outweigh ability, last time I checked I couldn't even finish 26.2 :o ... but is it wrong that I think 24hrs of pain is kinda cool :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Best wishes Runchick for a speedy recovery , u should try n enjoy a few lie ins , u def deserve it! U will come back fighting fit for sure!! :)

• Advertisement

last time I checked I couldn't even finish 26.2

Forget the last time. Next time you'll blitz it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

Rest up RC, you definitely deserve it. Dont forget you have a great base built up, a spell on the sidelines recuperating could well bring that to the fore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Ahem....unfortunately aspirations far outweigh ability, last time I checked I couldn't even finish 26.2 :o ... but is it wrong that I think 24hrs of pain is kinda cool :eek:

Tis definitely an experience worth em... experiencing? :o

Think of it as a very long game of musical chairs where you get to run around in a circle with everybody for ages waiting for the music to stop.

Great thing about the 24h is that there is no target distance. Once you've completed one lap, you're a finisher and once you get past 26.2M, its an official marathon. You could even do the 12H one and by 7am the next morning, you can sit on the grass with a bottle of wine and watch the rest of them shuffle around like the Walking Dead for the next 12 hours.

But rest up a bit and get yourself back on track first before signing up on line :D (PS, I'm not on commission!) :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Aimman wrote: »
    Tis definitely an experience worth em... experiencing? :o

Think of it as a very long game of musical chairs where you get to run around in a circle with everybody for ages waiting for the music to stop.

Great thing about the 24h is that there is no target distance. Once you've completed one lap, you're a finisher and once you get past 26.2M, its an official marathon. You could even do the 12H one and by 7am the next morning, you can sit on the grass with a bottle of wine and watch the rest of them shuffle around like the Walking Dead for the next 12 hours.

But rest up a bit and get yourself back on track first before signing up on line :D (PS, I'm not on commission!) :rolleyes::rolleyes:

...or sit on the grass for 24hrs with several bottles of wine watching them shuffle around...surely they need supporters :p

(dam you aimman you actually make it sound like 'fun' and doable some day...I'm fecked if I can figure out the attraction of this kind of pain though :confused:)

Wed 7 Aug

4.4m @ 9.38

9 days of absolutely no running - but a sudden burst of energy while playing at the park with the kids yesterday told me it was time to lace up again. Still have a head cold so not pushing things. Legs feel strong - calf niggles completely gone thanks to plenty of stretching and rolling :D As long as I continue to feel good I'm hopeful about getting 18m LSR in on Sunday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Wed 7 Aug

4.4m @ 9.38

9 days of absolutely no running - but a sudden burst of energy while playing at the park with the kids yesterday told me it was time to lace up again. Still have a head cold so not pushing things. Legs feel strong - calf niggles completely gone thanks to plenty of stretching and rolling :D As long as I continue to feel good I'm hopeful about getting 18m LSR in on Sunday :)

Glad to hear your not pushing it :D. Hope the niggles stay away for you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

...or sit on the grass for 24hrs with several bottles of wine watching them shuffle around...surely they need supporters :p

Several bottles of wine will just about get you close to the kind of out-of-your-mind state that 24 hours of running will leave you in!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good to see you back - properly coordinated, I hope. Nothing like a week off for the niggles.

Thu 8 Aug

7.11m @ 10.11 Av HR 143

All I had time for, if I had the choice would've gone further :)

Fri - rest

Sat 10 Aug - easy

4.58m @ 9.59 Av HR 142

Sun 11 Aug - LSR

18.09m @ 9.57 Av HR 145

Still feeling remnants of sickness - bit of a sore throat and ears - so wasn't sure how far I'd go. Decided to judge it by how I was feeling and thought 12 miles would probably be enough. I did a loop via the house after 8 miles, used the loo, took a drink of water and headed back out feeling pretty good and confident on doing 18. Miles 9 - 12 were a bit of a struggle but after that I found my second wind and was constantly having to slow down when I found myself naturally running at MP. Miles ticked by nicely until 2 miles from home when I suddenly felt jelly-legged and woozy (Limerick all over :eek:). I stopped/started for a while, getting worried I might faint so stopped and walked the last 0.5 mile to home once I'd clocked 18 miles. After food and fluid I now feel ok so putting it down to fuelling. I had a small bowl of porridge an hour before going out but nothing else except a small drink of water when I stopped at home. Clearly not enough - probably time to carry gels or a banana at least...and water :o.

So after a 10 day lay-off I've managed 34 easy miles this week. Looking forward to getting back to full schedule next week...(please, please please let my injury/sickness days be over) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done on the 18miler. Good to see you're back in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Miles ticked by nicely until 2 miles from home when I suddenly felt jelly-legged and woozy

Interesting - that happened to me back in March or April when I had to abandon after 22k or so feeling exactly as you describe. I put it down to lack of fuel at the time too. Had to get a taxi home! No after effects though.

murphd77 wrote: »
    Interesting - that happened to me back in March or April when I had to abandon after 22k or so feeling exactly as you describe. I put it down to lack of fuel at the time too. Had to get a taxi home! No after effects though.

Thanks Murph its kind of reassuring to hear this has happened to someone else. I'm a lazy sod and can't be bothered carrying anything when running but just know its time to resurrect the fuel belt for long runs :rolleyes:

Mon 12 Aug - recovery

4.1m @ 11.00

Slow shuffle round the block to shake off the aches and pains from Sunday's 18. Achilles feels tender again and calves tight - this was the first time I actually felt like I was 'recovering' during a slow run - tightness loosened a bit and felt better after a good stretch post-run.

Tues 13 Aug - easy w strides

5.21m @ 9.52 Av HR 143

Threw in 6 x 100m strides. Achilles still tender so plenty of stretching and rolling on the cards between now and tomorrow's session. Will tape up the calf too - all the injuries around at the minute - I really dont wanna be next :(

Wed 14 Aug - session day :D

12m @ 9.09

Session was 2m w/u then 4 x 1m@MP+20, 1m@MP-20, 2mc/d

(Planned) Actual splits:

(10) 9.51
    (10) 9.50
    (9.15) 9.10
    (8.30) 8.27
    (9.15) 9.06
    (8.30) 8.19
    (9.15) 9.06
    (8.30) 8.23
    (9.15) 9.08
    (8.30) 8.09
    (10) 10.20
    (10) 10.24
    Absolutely loved this session. Thought it would be tougher than it was. Loved the change of pace, felt strong throughout and no complaints from achilles which I'm delighted about :D Set up the session on the Garmin - first time doing this and found it fantastic - hardly needed to look at the watch - only when it was telling me to slow down :p

Had the choice of running at 6am or 5.30pm today. I am a weirdo who likes the early mornings so set the alarm for 5.45. Woke up, took RHR - 49 feck - that's a bit high for me - so thought I'm not rested enough so turned off alarm and back to sleep until 7.30am ;) Took RHR again - 43 - happy days - now i'm rested :cool: Think I'll do this in future if planning early sessions. I've struggled through them before and this morning's wee experiment shows that I'm probably just too tired.

Anyway delighted with today. I've been running dismally lately and badly needed a good solid session to give me some confidence back :D

I've been running dismally lately and badly needed a good solid session to give me some confidence back :D

Well you've done that - I was reading it saying to myself "God she's running well now".

Well you've done that - I was reading it saying to myself "God she's running well now".

Thanks, slow poke paces compared to you lot but feels good to me :P

Thanks, slow poke paces compared to you lot but feels good to me :P

You're not racing me, just like I'm not racing Blockic or Meno or Gavlor (actually I might have a chance of beating Gavlor, but only this week) or anyone else. It's just you vs you. And it looks to me like you're winning. ;)

You're not racing me, just like I'm not racing Blockic or Meno or Gavlor (actually I might have a chance of beating Gavlor, but only this week) or anyone else. It's just you vs you. And it looks to me like you're winning. ;)
    This is true but progress rates are comparable and I've been gettin slower :rolleyes: Its very much me vs me, for some reason U2s 'running to stand still' springs to mind :eek:

Progress is not a nice straight line A. But it's still progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

This is true but progress rates are comparable and I've been gettin slower :rolleyes: Its very much me vs me, for some reason U2s 'running to stand still' springs to mind :eek:

As I've said before, I can totally relate to that. You're like my double in that I think we both suffered a bit from a drop in confidence after our respective marathons. I just keep telling myself that I'm not actually getting slower, my fitness levels may have dropped a little, but it's not possible to lose significant speed over such a short time scale. The problem is that a couple of bad runs or races can really knock the confidence.

I'm just trying to cling on to the good runs and let the bad ones go. It's easier said than done sometimes, but trying to keep positive really does help. Had a bad run? Forget about it! Had a good run or session, enjoy it and keep it in mind for the next run!

It's a work in progress, but we'll get there!

• Advertisement

You know that I'd risk never running again just to lap you in that race :D

Advertisement