Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taming the marathon beast...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

blockic wrote: »
    Tough break but the week will fly. What I want to know is what are you going to do at 6am in the morning now?

Hardly sleep? :pac::D

Haha truthful answer? core work, stretching, foam rolling then icing leg while reading boards.ie :p Absolute bliss to get this done while the kids are asleep ;) What on earth would I sleep for :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Tough break but could be worse of course; recover well.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Enjoy the weekend away Runchick and hope you have a speedy recovery

Back to physio today after a week of being a good girl and not running. Good news, injury well mended and I can ease back in...yeah right ;)

Training for the past week looks like it belongs in a different forum:

Wed - bike, 9m...meh
    Thur - bike, 20m...with company so good fun
    Fri - rest
    Sat - swim, 1k in 26 mins...haven't swam for a few years, took a wee while to get into it but enjoyable
    Sun - swim, 1m in 39 mins...easier than previous day even though I was hungover :eek:
    Mon -bike, 13m...windy, meh
    Tues - bike 15m...again with company - so much better that way. I only have one speed on the bike regardless of distance, 15mpm on fairly hilly roads.

Anyway, back to running :D

Wed 4 Sept

4.63m @ 10.15 Av HR 145

Slow leg loosener to get back into things. Legs were really heavy from the bike, actually felt like I'd done a 20 miler the day before. The thought of adding a spin to my weekly routine has crossed my mind - definitely uses different muscle groups and surely that can only help things.

Planning Meno's session tomorrow but having read other reports so far I'm fully expecting 2 hours of torture :eek: I'm so excited though cause for the first time in many many years all my babies are shipped off to school (well pre -school for the little one) meaning I can run after the school run, yippee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

A lot of people would be delighted with an average of 15 mph on a hilly route.....

Have you considered sticking to the bike and packing in that injury inducing boards addiction affliction called running??

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    A lot of people would be delighted with an average of 15 mph on a hilly route.....

Have you considered sticking to the bike and packing in that injury inducing boards addiction affliction called running??

OMG wash your virtual mouth out with soap, its absolutely ludicrous to suggest giving up this madness :p

Thur 5 Sep - session day

12.05m @ 9.00 Av HR 158

2m w/u, 4 x 2@hmp with 2min recoveries, 2m c/d

HMP traing pace 8.15

1. 8.13, 8.08 - easy, fun, cruising
    2. 8.15, 8.20 - bit more challenging but under control
    3. 8.11, 8.26 - telling myself 'relax into it' - worked for a while but last 0.5m was hard
    4. 8.14, 8.33 - wheels finally come off - only got through my giving myself a 1min rest between miles :o

Tough session but I gave all I had. I struggled to hold 8.30 pace in similar sessions in March so I suppose the pace is right and I'm making progress (slowly but surely ;))

Wrecked now but I promised my wee man I'd pick him up on the bike, what on earth was I thinking :eek:

Well done Runchick - you're very hard on yourself, that was another completed session - so you stopped between miles (after mile 7 @ HMP)for a few seconds - you kept going and finished the session:)

Good session, Runchick - you managed a good average pace there and cheated far less than I did!

Fri 7 Sept - recovery

3.61m @ 10.48

Uneventful except for being bloody freezing. Woke the house at 6.15am turning lights on looking for cold weather running gear :eek: Had long sleeves on but regretted not wearing gloves...brrr

Sat - rest

Sun - LSR - best ever :D

21.27m in 3hrs29 Av HR 147

One of those runs that you couldn't predict. Have had sore ears since yesterday, didn't sleep well and woke up a bit croaky. So today started with thoughts of giving up on DCM and heading back to bed. After some breakfast I felt a bit better so decided to head out and cut it short if I felt like I was struggling.

Planned session was 10m slow then 10m steady so my planned paces were 10 @ 10.15-10.30 and 10 @ 9.20.

Slow 10:
    11.11, 10.38, 10.32, 10.17, 10.17, 10.22, 10.21, 10.11, 10.22, 10.19.
    Took a while to get going. Walked part of first mile to adjust hydration belt (first time wearing this contraption but it felt surprisingly comfortable). Once I relaxed and got going I found the pace very easy - but I think that was the point.

Steady 10:
    9.30, 9.14, 9.13, 9.08, 9.08, 9.02, 9.14, 9.17, 9.03, 8.51
    Couldn't' believe how good I felt and couldn't resist throwing in a MP mile at the end. Felt strong throughout and could have run on. Was only 0.5m from home but doubled back to run over a mile c/d. Considered running further but didn't want to push my luck. Came home feeling fantastic. My last 2 LSRs have ended in dizziness and feeling very fatigued so this is a great confidence booster, something is working :D

I'm putting the sore ears down to time spent in the swimming pool last weekend. The last time I got sick I had spent quite a lot of time in the pool with the kids immediately before so no more swimming for me until after DCM. I took a few gels today too after 10m so that really helped too. The good days like this make it all worth while. Its something I love about running - just when you think you can't do it, you surprise yourself ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Runchick wrote: »
    The good days like this make it all worth while. Its something I love about running - just when you think you can't do it, you surprise yourself ;)

Love it thats a quote we should all follow!

Go you, you absolutely nailed that session, steady miles seriously impressive, nothing like a good run to leave a smile on your face :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Fri 7 Sept - recovery

3.61m @ 10.48

Uneventful except for being bloody freezing. Woke the house at 6.15am turning lights on looking for cold weather running gear :eek: Had long sleeves on but regretted not wearing gloves...brrr

Sat - rest

Sun - LSR - best ever :D

21.27m in 3hrs29 Av HR 147

One of those runs that you couldn't predict. Have had sore ears since yesterday, didn't sleep well and woke up a bit croaky. So today started with thoughts of giving up on DCM and heading back to bed. After some breakfast I felt a bit better so decided to head out and cut it short if I felt like I was struggling.

Planned session was 10m slow then 10m steady so my planned paces were 10 @ 10.15-10.30 and 10 @ 9.20.

Slow 10:
    11.11, 10.38, 10.32, 10.17, 10.17, 10.22, 10.21, 10.11, 10.22, 10.19.
    Took a while to get going. Walked part of first mile to adjust hydration belt (first time wearing this contraption but it felt surprisingly comfortable). Once I relaxed and got going I found the pace very easy - but I think that was the point.

Steady 10:
    9.30, 9.14, 9.13, 9.08, 9.08, 9.02, 9.14, 9.17, 9.03, 8.51
    Couldn't' believe how good I felt and couldn't resist throwing in a MP mile at the end. Felt strong throughout and could have run on. Was only 0.5m from home but doubled back to run over a mile c/d. Considered running further but didn't want to push my luck. Came home feeling fantastic. My last 2 LSRs have ended in dizziness and feeling very fatigued so this is a great confidence booster, something is working :D

I'm putting the sore ears down to time spent in the swimming pool last weekend. The last time I got sick I had spent quite a lot of time in the pool with the kids immediately before so no more swimming for me until after DCM. I took a few gels today too after 10m so that really helped too. The good days like this make it all worth while. Its something I love about running - just when you think you can't do it, you surprise yourself ;)

Sometimes reading your log reminds me of watching a lassie film, with the apprehension and then the happy ending :D
    Great to see the run working out well for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Good session Runchick, it is amazing the buzz one gets from a good session.
    That week off seems to done you no harm at all,it may even have been a blessing in disguise :-)

Hey, good stuff- really enjoyed this one myself and had a similar experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

The easier first half followed by the faster second half could be your optimum strategy for the main thing. Make sure you ease into it on the day and maybe aim for a slight negative split?
    Well done on nailing it today anyways!

Great session Runchick - out of interest what gels are you using - I tried GU Vanilla Bean on Sunday only took one after 10 miles but to be honest while I was not as tired immediately afterwards don't know if it did a whole lot either - probably should have taken more than one

belcarra wrote: »
    The easier first half followed by the faster second half could be your optimum strategy for the main thing. Make sure you ease into it on the day and maybe aim for a slight negative split?
    Well done on nailing it today anyways!

I've never been able to start slow - I get the theory but just get excited and carried away on race day...typical newbie stuff I suppose...but after this LSR I'm really starting to get it. I honestly didn't feel tired after yesterday - I've never ran 20+ miles so easily...the negative split scares me though - there's not really room for slowing down in those last few miles and still staying on target...
    Willie42 wrote: »
    Great session Runchick - out of interest what gels are you using - I tried GU Vanilla Bean on Sunday only took one after 10 miles but to be honest while I was not as tired immediately afterwards don't know if it did a whole lot either - probably should have taken more than one

I have always taken High5 isogels. I've ran out of the normal ones though and only have the caffeinated ones left, so I had 2 of those plus an espresso before the run...rocket fuel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Delighted for you RC...great running.

Mon 9 Sep - recovery

4.06m @ 10.53 Av HR 132

Early morning shuffle with the dog. Left calf (the one which is normally fine) very tight.

Tues - easy with strides

6m @ 9.31 Av HR 147

Easy with 12 x 100m strides. Only meant to do 10 but lost count. Really enjoyable session.

Wed - session day

13.2m @ 9.12 Av HR 155
    2m w/u, 10m @ MP, 1.2m c/d

PMP 8.50 - 9min/m

MP spilts:
    8.55, 8.46, 8.43, 8.48, 8.45, 8.46, 8.53, 8.51, 9.00, 8.51

Cruised through the first 7 but did have to work a bit more for the last 3. 9 was mostly uphill and that made the last one harder than I would have liked. Was glad to finish to be honest but not any where near as hard as the HMP session last week. Holding that pace for 26.2 is terrifying although I was listening to Scott Jurek's Eat and Run while running today and stories of running ultras make our wee ventures seem a bit more manageable :p

Tight calf absolutely fine today - rolling and stretching have worked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Fair play Runchick your getting back into the grove at the right time, good session

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Wed - session day

13.2m @ 9.12 Av HR 155
    2m w/u, 10m @ MP, 1.2m c/d

PMP 8.50 - 9min/m

MP spilts:
    8.55, 8.46, 8.43, 8.48, 8.45, 8.46, 8.53, 8.51, 9.00, 8.51

Cruised through the first 7 but did have to work a bit more for the last 3. 9 was mostly uphill and that made the last one harder than I would have liked. Was glad to finish to be honest but not any where near as hard as the HMP session last week. Holding that pace for 26.2 is terrifying although I was listening to Scott Jurek's Eat and Run while running today and stories of running ultras make our wee ventures seem a bit more manageable :p

Tight calf absolutely fine today - rolling and stretching have worked :)

Good stuff Runchick. A good rule of thumb I have for MP is that if you are still just about able to listen to the Radio/Podcast and follow everything then you are just about on MP. Sounds like you nailed it. You just have to start believing you can hold that pace....

Thur 12 Sept - recovery

4.3m @ 10.54 Av HR 131

Fri - rest

Sat - LSR

18.06m @ 9.28 Av HR 157

Includes 4 x 2m @ MP:
    8.46, 8.38, 8.42, 8.34, 8.40, 8.43, 8.40, 8.45
    All other miles in and around 10 min/m.

Enjoyed this run although the last MP mile was mile 17 and harder than the rest. My only problem today was dialling in MP. Usually I can pretty well judge 8.50/8.55 pace without looking at the watch but here all the MP miles started around 8.3x and I spent a lot of time trying to get back to the correct pace. Not happy about this tbh as I want to get as much time at MP as possible at this stage.

Sun - recovery

5.13m @ 10.37

Howling wind, yuck...worst weather for running :rolleyes:

Another 50 mile week under the belt and legs feeling really good. Only concern at the minute is a lingering under-the-weather feeling - sore ears and throat which I can't shift. Wasn't helped today by my 5 year-old insisting on a trip to the swimming pool as her prize for being the pupil of the week in school...tried to convince her that the cinema was a better option but she didn't fall for it, meaning an hour spent in the pool - always a recipe for making me feel icky :( I have a week to shift it - Belfast HM next Sunday and I really want to run a sub 1.50. Not only do I think I need that to run a sub 4 in Dublin, but my OH has decided to run it - he doesn't run!! He reckons he could get around in 1.50 and there's no bloody way he'll be crossing that line ahead of me :eek::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

That made me smile Runchick :) agree you've got to beat him! Make that your motivating factor if/when u needing something to keep u going at the required pace. I think u will do sub 1.50 with no bother anyway. Take it handy this week, plenty rest, n an odd lie in :) really hope u have a great run in belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Great running over the last few weeks runchick, best of luck in Belfast. If you're feeling under the weather, then err on the side of caution and take it handy this week.

Laughing at your OH deciding to run 13.1 miles when he doesn't run! Your running fever is obviously catching! The five year old will be announcing she's running next ;)

... my OH has decided to run it - he doesn't run!!

It's the Mr. and Mrs. Runchick smackdown. Take him down!

Mon and Tues - rest

Only planned one rest day but took an extra one to try to get rid of the sore throat.

Wed - 10m easy with strides

10.46m @ 9.23

Meant to run at 10min/m but ran to feel and this felt very easy so didn't worry too much. Threw in 6x100m strides. Had calf maintenance work at physio - ouch - and legs feel great now though :D This close to DCM last year they were in bits so I'm happy with this side of things.

Thur - recovery

4.05m @ 10.40

First run of the season in a base-layer, chilly out there

Now for the not so good...ramble ahead...

Saw the doc on Tuesday suspecting yet another chest infection. No infection but I have inflammation on my lungs...I have exercise-induced-asthma and he gave me a bloody inhaler :( However he said I could still run but have to use this contraption before exercise. Now this brought up a lot of questions including if this explains why I can run at a slower pace for a long time but struggle with breathing when I speed things up? Absolutely. Could this be related to a proneness to chest infections. Absolutely.

I have found during HMP sessions that its the difficulty breathing that gets me - of course I thought this was simply down to lack of fitness but seems something else may be going on also. The doc said I should see improvement in a week (getting rid of the inflammation that is) - I said I don't have a week I only have 5 days (nutter alert :eek:) and he said I may feel some improvement by then but doubts I'll be really back to normal for about 2 weeks...not what I was hoping to hear.

So with Belfast half on Sunday I'm not a happy girl. I intend to wait until Sunday to decide if I'm fit to race it so I'll not run again until then. If I'm not feeling like I can race I'll run it at MP...this would be a real shame as I've done this in enough races recently and feel that training has been going well enough to reward me with a good race. If I knew now that I wasn't racing it I would continue training but I'm gonna stay hopeful and taper for Sunday.

The only upside is that training at MP is absolutely fine, I feel strong at that pace and don't have any breathing issues. I really don't think this will hold me back for the main event. After all the main thing is the main thing is the main thing :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Jeez A sorry to hear that. Just be careful you don't do permanent damage for the sake of a race!

From the novices thread:
    Dow99 wrote: »
    remember the "Neck Rule"... anything that affects below the neck do NOT train

Jeez A sorry to hear that. Just be careful you don't do permanent damage for the sake of a race!

From the novices thread:

Thanks K I thought about the neck rule but the doc gave me the ok to run so I'm trusting his advice, I'll know myself if things have improved by Sunday, if not I'll not take any risks, as disheartening as that is...

Wow - sorry to hear that Runchick. But at least you know now what's going on. Didn't Paula Radcliffe have that too? Didn't hold her back too much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

murphd77 wrote: »
    Wow - sorry to hear that Runchick. But at least you know now what's going on. Didn't Paula Radcliffe have that too? Didn't hold her back too much!

+1

There are lots of famous sports people with asthma.

Hope things work out for you this week and you have a great run on Sunday!

Advertisement