Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taming the marathon beast...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

ncmc wrote: »
    Congrats runchick, what an amazing race to look forward to!

Totally bummed I seem to have missed out on the ballot :(

Did you get a rejection letter - no news is good news you know ;)

belcarra wrote: »
    Perfect! Do a great run in London and with a few weeks rest you'll then have 8 weeks to train for Portumna 50km or 100km!!
    Thought you got away with it there, didn't ya?!:D

Crazy, crazy, crazy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Runchick wrote: »
    Did you get a rejection letter - no news is good news you know ;)

I think in my haste to enter I made a bit of a balls of the address I was using, so wouldn't be surprised if I never got a letter!

Ah well, just will have to make sure I get a gfa time in the next 9 months and get guaranteed entry for 2015!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

ncmc wrote: »
    Ah well, just will have to make sure I get a gfa time in the next 9 months and get guaranteed entry for 2015!

Thought you'd the marathon box ticked no? :P

Congrats runchick! What a race to look forward to!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Dam you Belcarra putting silly ideas in my head...there I was looking up Connemara - it just happens to be on on my birthday, thought it was a sign...until today.....

got a ballot place for London- yippeeee :D:D:D:D

Good stuff!! Bring the biker along and we can use him as our food stop ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Well done on London Runchick :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Great news RC. Congrats :D:D

Gavlor wrote: »
    Good stuff!! Bring the biker along and we can use him as our food stop ;)

He's just booked the flights, I think he's as excited as me!...little does he know that on 13th April he will become 'the waterboy' :p

He's just booked the flights, I think he's as excited as me!...little does he know that on 13th April he will become 'the waterboy' :p

Fortunately I live on merseyside and just need to get the train from lime st ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Congrats Runchick , whoohoo!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

D

got a ballot place for London- yippeeee :D:D:D:D

Hey that's great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Great news run chick something to look forward to during winter months ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Congrats on London It will be some experience, delighted for you.

On the mend so got out for a few slow miles:

Sat 28th

10.13m @ 10.15

Felt great to be out again but kept the effort very, very easy. Legs feel so good, they've been missing the road :)

Sun

4.48 @10.36

Slow plod with the dog, very enjoyable

Can't imagine running a marathon at the minute but hopeful that I'll be firing on all cylinders come race day ;)

Sat 28th

10.13m @ 10.15

Felt great to be out again but kept the effort very, very easy. Legs feel so good, they've been missing the road :)

Sun

4.48 @10.36

Can't imagine running a marathon at the minute but hopeful that I'll be firing on all cylinders come race day ;)

Nice one, it's torture not being able to get out! Going crazy myself! How many days you miss altogether?

Sat 28th

10.13m @ 10.15

Sun

4.48 @10.36

That's how I felt last week, but a lot can change in a week. You'll be back;)

blockic wrote: »
    Nice one, it's torture not being able to get out! Going crazy myself! How many days you miss altogether?

10 long frustrating days :rolleyes: It is torture but I know from the last time that it doesn't take long to get back in to things...you'll be grand :)

Mon - rest

Tues - 6m easy

6m @ 9.42

Still feeling the virus on this run, but really enjoyed it - wanted to go further but was time restricted so stopped at 6.

Wed - rest

Erring on the side of caution until feeling 100% so only planning easy running every other day.

Thur - 8m easy

8.17m @ 9.10

Headed out in the rain not sure how far to go, planned either 5 or 8m depending on how I was feeling. First mile was groggy but after a few miles felt good and legs were begging me to up the pace so I thought I'd try a few MP miles going purely by feel. Tucked the watch out of sight under the rain coat and ran to feel, trying to judge MP by my breathing. Did 4 miles with no clue of pace but expecting 9.15ish. Was quite surprised when I got home, MP splits 9.07, 8.45, 8.25, 8.31...glad I did this as it proved to me that the fitness is still there even though I've been sick.

Finished antibiotics today but another visit to the doc as I'm still not feeling as good as I'd expected to by now. Infection is mostly cleared but still lingering so I've started yet another course of antibiotics :( Not exactly ideal with less than 4 weeks til DCM.

So for the first time ever I'm facing up to the fact that I might not make the start line. The plan is to do an easy longish run on Saturday, a few runs next week and the big test will be a 20+ mile run next weekend. If I can do that without adverse effects and really feel ok after then I'll do the marathon, but if I can't run that LSR next weekend without a struggle then its game over. No point in risking longer term problems.

I'm giving myself every chance to make it happen though. I'm taking an immunity-boosting, yeasty, icky tonic from the health food shop and eating every super-food I can get my hands on - its amazing how many ways you can eat dark green leafy stuff! I'm making myself go to bed early and generally being as healthy as possible. If I do make it to the start I may have to reconsider the time goal too but will be happy with a strong finish even if it takes a bit longer than planned...not ideal but hardly the end of the world :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Fingers crossed for you, runchick. Really hope you make it! I'm confident you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

So for the first time ever I'm facing up to the fact that I might not make the start line.

I can empathise with you on that. Sucks, doesn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Witchburner

You'll make the start - don't think otherwise, I ran it in 2008 with only a half under my belt.
    Stay positive girly you'll manage just fine.
    Good luck with it all, hope it plays out well for ya.
    Oh and by the way - the fact you managed to get to where you are with 3 kids it commendable in its own right.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    I can empathise with you on that. Sucks, doesn't it?

Absolutely sucks:( how are you getting on? Closer or further away from the start line?

Absolutely sucks:( how are you getting on? Closer or further away from the start line?

Probably further away if truth be told. Contemplating making my Physio a bit richer with one last throw of the dice but chances are slim at this stage. In work 11 hours every day too so it's hard to get time with the family and still exercise too.

Actually woke up this morning having dreamt that the Physio and her dad came to see me and he explained that my troubles were coming from my runners, which he then proceeded to take apart like Lego! That's what I guess for using the Marathon Stick before bed.

Probably further away if truth be told. Contemplating making my Physio a bit richer with one last throw of the dice but chances are slim at this stage. In work 11 hours every day too so it's hard to get time with the family and still exercise too.

Actually woke up this morning having dreamt that the Physio and her dad came to see me and he explained that my troubles were coming from my runners, which he then proceeded to take apart like Lego! That's what I guess for using the Marathon Stick before bed.

F€ck! There must be something in your workplace, DH has a bit of ligament tissue damage, no running for past 2 weeks. He has 2 * 20 milers banked so I reckon he'll run it at a nice easy pace. Shame to see so many injuries & illness after so much work from everyone

:( mind you sounds like a bit I taper madness going on there with those dreams! Prob worth getting the physio's opinion, if he gives you the ok might be worth a shot :)

2000km run, 2 marathons entered, probably no marathons completed. How grim is that?

2000km run, 2 marathons entered, probably no marathons completed. How grim is that?

Hey, the fat lady has not come out to sing yet, keep positive.

But look, if you end up missing DCM its a tough break but with 2000km under your belt it is a great platform to have for next year where you will be looking for even faster marathon times...

It all won't be in vein.

Sorry to hear about your sickness Runchick a real beast to get rid of.

However you have PLENTY time to make DCM yet. Target may be adjusted yes if you miss a good few more runs but there is no fear of making both the start line and finish line for you tbh if you play is wise!

Be well RC. I'm keeping everything crossed for you!:)
    I'm sure you can make it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Ditto to all of the above :)

Advertisement