Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who was the better outhalf?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Ronan O'Gara
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek: :confused::confused::confused:;););)

i wont even bother.... this is obvious attention seeking

He is the greatest of the list, I agree, but I'm not sure that you can argue that he didn't go missing at the pointy end of the world cups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Yeh. Especially in 2011. He was totally anonymous towards the end. You'd swear he wasn't even on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Ronan O'Gara
    He is the greatest of the list, I agree, but I'm not sure that you can argue that he didn't go missing at the pointy end of the world cups.

Missing through injury in 2011. Hardly his fault.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,101 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Stephen Jones

go missing????

im sure i saw him in the stands on crutches.....

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

Stephen Jones
    Everyone here is pointing at the Lions, but how about looking at the 2011 WC.. Wilko and Jones were absolutely dreadful in that tournament, not saying ROG was super but he was still battling with Sexton for that 10 Jersey, and had a couple of good performances,while Wilko and Jones did nothing.. not debating the fact that Wilko was probably the best are his peak but people seem to focus purely on ROG mistakes, like Jones and Wilko were immune to them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

Ronan O'Gara
    Everyone here is pointing at the Lions, but how about looking at the 2011 WC.. Wilko and Jones were absolutely dreadful in that tournament, not saying ROG was super but he was still battling with Sexton for that 10 Jersey, and had a couple of good performances,while Wilko and Jones did nothing.. not debating the fact that Wilko was probably the best are his peak but people seem to focus purely on ROG mistakes, like Jones and Wilko were immune to them.

Can you point out a game against top opposition where ROG was good?

He came on against Australia and was brutal and was similarly awful against Wales!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

:eek::eek::eek: :confused::confused::confused:;););)

i wont even bother.... this is obvious attention seeking

it's all true though

He's not even the most handsome man in world rugby since the Kearney brothers came along

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

go missing????

im sure i saw him in the stands on crutches.....

egggsactly, they won it without him, they even won it without their second choice fly half and their scrum half taking the kicks

Well the ref was on their side, but ignoring that

he gets an armchair ride with NZ, this makes him look brilliant when he is just as good as the others

The fact remains he was missing, he hobbled off in 2007 as well when the going got tough.

You have to be objective here, and look at the fly halfs performance limited by the teams they were playing in. Wilkinson looked the best in the world playing for the then best team in the world. As does carter.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

Stephen Jones
    Bogota wrote: »
    Can you point out a game against top opposition where ROG was good?

He came on against Australia and was brutal and was similarly awful against Wales!!

Played well vs Italy and nailed his kicks cs Australia... again not saying he was super but he was certainly better than the other 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Stephen Jones
    Carters is too injury prone and cant hack it when under pressure.

Went missing at the last 2 world cups, one in which they were beaten by France and one that the ref was too scared to let them be beaten by France.

both in which he hobbled off when the going got tough

He looked mediocre at USAP and of course he got injured.

he gets an armchair ride with NZ which makes him look better than he is

if he togged out for Ireland hed be in for some shock.

Dont get me wrong he's good, but no better than the others on the list and worse under real pressure.

Wilkson and ROG can hack it, and in fairness to Jones, his kick for the Grand Slam was a great one, just outside his range, he didnt choke one bit

some correct points there admittedly, has had troubles with injury, but when hes fit and at his best you cant play with him, incredible talent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

You have to be objective here, and look at the fly halfs performance limited by the teams they were playing in. Wilkinson looked the best in the world playing for the then best team in the world. As does carter.

Who would you say has been the best flyhalf over the last 10 years then ?

Stephen Jones
    Id have to say the best on the go, purely for how exciting he can be, would have to be cooper, absolutely ridiculous player, another who on his day theres no stopping him

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Depp wrote: »
    Id have to say the best on the go, purely for how exciting he can be, would have to be cooper, absolutely ridiculous player, another who on his day theres no stopping him

As much as i love Cooper , he is makes too many errors in a game to be considered the best - you only have to watch a Reds match in Super Rugby. However he has toughened up this year I have noticed

Stephen Jones
    I know hes far from the finished article but i love to watch him, anything could happen when he gets ball in hand, his attitude has seemed much better this season in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 24,186 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The fact remains he was missing, he hobbled off in 2007 as well when the going got tough.

You have to be objective here.

Ironic.

Carter was injured in 2007 going into the game. He missed the last pool game, couldn't train the week leading up to the game but was so considered so important he played injured.

Just for the sake of my own personal preference, I'm going to leave this here for anyone not old enough to remember him in his pomp. Never has an outhalf made attacking rugby look so effortless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Bogota wrote: »

18 seconds in (he actually misses two tackles in the build up to the try)

He runs up the ball carrier, bends and then stops. Awful technique. I just can't understand why.

Like I am sure he would kick the utter sh*t out of and cream most of us posters here. Just wondering why his tackling is so bad.

Here is a video dan lydiate making some tacklings. Contrast the technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i2G1akkz-E

He makes sure when contact happens he is going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Stephen Jones
    I love the way we all rate ROG on just a few moments eg. Lions tour but seem to forget all the magic he does.
    Utter ridiculous, some people really are idiots:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Ronan O'Gara
    Buer wrote: »
    Just for the sake of my own personal preference, I'm going to leave this here for anyone not old enough to remember him in his pomp. Never has an outhalf made attacking rugby look so effortless.

He was an awesome 10. The thing i loved about him is that he doesn't seem quick but one minute he has the ball in front of a defender, the next he's past him in the clear. Gregor Townsend had that ability as well and I think Sexton has a little of it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ronan O'Gara
    Who was the right wing for Australia in that match in 98?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,101 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Stephen Jones
    .ak wrote: »

joe roff and ben tune were there around that time???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Ronan O'Gara
    .ak wrote: »

Was Chris Latham on the right wing? He was in that position when he thought it was a good idea to show Jason Robinson the outside in that first Lions test. But don't know if he was right wing or full back

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ronan O'Gara
    joe roff and ben tune were there around that time???

Yeah think it was Tune. Absolutely electric in those clips, might watch that game again. Is that the one they trounced England 76-0 or something?

It was Ben Tune, .ak. He was a very handy player and would have only been about 20 in that match. He has had some very bad times since then though and ended up trying to take his own life a couple of years ago. I'm glad to say he has come through that and is now publicly speaking in the fight against depression. He was heavily linked with a move to one of the provinces about 5 years ago, I think after he was clearly finished with the Wallabies.

Advertisement