Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Leinster Rugby vs Glasgow Warriors, Saturday 11th May 19:35,BBCAlba/TG4

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Firstly, for me, I'm not too displeased at Conway's leaving. He's very very green and doesn't seem to have the brain of a Fitz, MCF or even a D. Kearney. Certainly has pace to burn but I just don't see him ever making it to Gilroy or Zebo's level in the senior game.

Ah now, dya not think it's a tad early to be writing him off at 21? Especially based on the errors he made the other night, which were positional and decision making based, things that are easily ironed out

It was only last week that he ran in a three great poachers tries.

Far too early to write him off

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah far too early to write him off allright.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Although you wonder why Leinster were happy to let him go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Ruck Inspector

.ak wrote: »
    Although you wonder why Leinster were happy to let him go.

Were they?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Were they?

He was mid contract with Leinster so you would presume that Leinster had to give permission for him to go

• Advertisement

Presumably if Conway approached Leinster and told them he wanted to go (for whatever reason) they would have more or less had to let him leave

trouttrout wrote: »
    Presumably if Conway approached Leinster and told them he wanted to go (for whatever reason) they would have more or less had to let him leave

They would? He signed a contract, he can't just walk away from it without Leinster's consent.

I was under the impression he asked to leave because he was unhappy about his playing time, pretty sure if he didn't want to be here Leinster were more than happy to let him leave.

They would? He signed a contract, he can't just walk away from it without Leinster's consent.

I was under the impression he asked to leave because he was unhappy about his playing time, pretty sure if he didn't want to be here Leinster were more than happy to let him leave.

Exactly, but a player expressing a desire to leave wouldn't exactly be seen as someone Leinster want in the squad so I think that's the most logical reason as to why they gave consent

Exactly, but a player expressing a desire to leave wouldn't exactly be seen as someone Leinster want in the squad so I think that's the most logical reason as to why they gave consent

Oh I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Yep, if a player wants to go there is no point in making him stay. You want unity in the squad, a situation like this could cause an atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Yep, the only thing to do is let him go if that's what he wants. I heard he was miffed that he wasn't getting enough game time in Leinster, but dammit, he was injured a lot. I've been a bit disappointed with him, but it'll be interesting to see how he makes out in Munster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Ah now, dya not think it's a tad early to be writing him off at 21? Especially based on the errors he made the other night, which were positional and decision making based, things that are easily ironed out

It was only last week that he ran in a three great poachers tries.

Far too early to write him off

Yeah perhaps so alright.

However, he has had two years now in which to make an impact, after a schools career that was far and away ahead of Zebo and Gilroy.

He just doesn't, to me anyway, have the physicality or tactical nous to be a good HEC level winger.

At this stage, he's well behind in his development. Don't let the Ospreys scores fool you either, he has been poor to medium for Leinster generally this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I don't know. There's a difference between a player wanting to play elsewhere and get more opportunities and a player being disruptive. They're not necessarily in parallel. Given Leinster were probably aware Isa was thinking of leaving and Carr was too, I think there was an overall bigger picture here. Leinster could easily have told him "I understand, Andrew, but you're 21, you're under contract and you've already had 10 starts this season in January including the Heineken Cup. You're part of the plan, show a little patience."

Munster wouldn't have approached him mid-contract nor do I think they're allowed. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a result of a drive to share resources between the provinces and a deal brokered from above which is all fair enough.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Buer wrote: »
    I don't know. There's a difference between a player wanting to play elsewhere and get more opportunities and a player being disruptive. They're not necessarily in parallel. Given Leinster were probably aware Isa was thinking of leaving and Carr was too, I think there was an overall bigger picture here. Leinster could easily have told him "I understand, Andrew, but you're 21, you're under contract and you've already had 10 starts this season in January including the Heineken Cup. You're part of the plan, show a little patience."

Munster wouldn't have approached him mid-contract nor do I think they're allowed. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a result of a drive to share resources between the provinces and a deal brokered from above which is all fair enough.

exactly, especially in view of the fact he would be as far down the pecking order in munster as he was in leinster..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

sydthebeat wrote: »
    exactly, especially in view of the fact he would be as far down the pecking order in munster as he was in leinster..

Zebo and...
    Earls perhaps if he played wing but then he'll go FB instead of Jones.

sydthebeat wrote: »

I don't think he would really

Conway seems to want to play 15

He has a much better chance of establishing himself there for Munster than for Leinster

Bar one game Jones has had a very poor season and with Leinster he's behind one of the best 15's in the world and his brother is a worthy foe for the back-up slot

I don't think Earls will switch to 15 tbh

Advertisement