Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Leinster Rugby vs Glasgow Warriors, Saturday 11th May 19:35,BBCAlba/TG4

Options
  • 10-05-2013 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭

leinster.gif|Glasgow_warriors_badge.png
    LEINSTER:|GLASGOW:
    15: Rob Kearney|15 Stuart Hogg
    14: Fergus McFadden|14 Sean Maitland
    13: Brian O'Driscoll|13 Sean Lamont
    12: Gordon D'Arcy|12 Alex Dunbar
    11: Isa Nacewa|11 DTH Van der Merwe
    10: Jonathan Sexton|10 Peter Horne
    9: Isaac Boss|9 Niko Matawalu
    1: Cian Healy|1 Ryan Grant
    2: Richardt Strauss|2 Pat MacArthur
    3: Mike Ross|3 Jon Welsh
    4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN|4 Tim Swinson
    5: Devin Toner|5 Al Kellock
    6: Kevin McLaughlin|6 Josh Strauss
    7: Sean O'Brien/Shane Jennings|7 John Barclay
    8: Jamie Heaslip|8 Ryan Wilson
    REPLACEMENTS:
    16: Sean Cronin|16 Fraser Brown
    17: Jack McGrath|17 Moray Low
    18: Jamie Hagan|18 Ed Kalman
    19: Quinn Roux|19 Tom Ryder
    20: Shane Jennings/Rhys Ruddock|20 Rob Harley
    21: John Cooney|21 Henry Pyrgos
    22: Ian Madigan|22 Ruaridh Jackson
    23: Andrew Conway|23 Mark Bennett

REFEREE: Pascal Gauzere (FFR), ASSISTANT REFEREES: Marius Mitrea, Giuseppe Vivarini (both FIR), TMO: Carlo Damasco (FIR)

No match thread yet? Usually Friday afternoon's are all about building up to the weekend games! I'm no writer so I'm not going to try too hard :pac:

Few Lions facing off in the form of Hogg vs Kearney for any spectators without who don't follow either. Halfpenny surely has his name on that 15 jersey though at this stage. I am slightly surprised of how strong a team Leinster put out since I don't rate Glasgow all that much compared to some, but this is a knock-out rugby and anything can happen. Horne perplexes me at 10. I don't know a huge deal about him, I would have thought Jackson would have started. Weather is looking more rainy and dull unlike last week's pristine festival so expect less tries to be scored.

Paddy Power are saying Leinster by 10, but I'm thinking Leinster by a little less than that; 7. Glasgow will be up for this in a big way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Glasgow have a very good back three, plenty of pace and finishing ability there. Matawalu is a very dangerous scrum-half with ball in hand and needs to be very closely watched by Jennings.

Beyond that, it's hard to see where they have an edge on Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Peter Horne at 10?!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Not as nervous about this one as I was about the Ospreys game. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. It's a quality Leinster line-up, and for the most part a strong Glasgow line-up. Horne at 10 is the obvious weakness. Neither side bear much resemblance to the sides that met at the end of March. Given the strength of the Leinster line-up and the fact that we seem to be coming into form I'd expect a win. Not sure it'll be double figures as the bookies suggest though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Peter Horne at 10?!

Might see Hogg taking the goal kicks?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah I'd say so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I'd say so. I have barely heard of Horne - I wonder why he's starting instead of Jackson....????

I think this will be very tight, especially given the weather forecast. Leinster should win, but I'm nearly as nervous as I was for the Ospreys match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Glasgow have a very good back three, plenty of pace and finishing ability there. Matawalu is a very dangerous scrum-half with ball in hand and needs to be very closely watched by Jennings.

Beyond that, it's hard to see where they have an edge on Leinster.

Grant, Kellock, Strauss are three quality players in key positions.

Think this will be closer than many think.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Shaggy confirming what a lot of posters have thought about Jamie's role reversal with the emergence of strike runners in Sob/Healy.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

This is going to be a cracking match. I'll be rooting for Leinster but I hope Glasgow back up their great league form this year with a good performance in Dublin. The more strong teams in the league the better, it improves everyone's performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Hook talked a lot less rubbish with Shaggy beside him.

Good to see our thoughts about Heaslip confirmed by someone who was actually involved recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

vienne86 wrote: »
    I have barely heard of Horne

He was the scorer of my try of the season tbh, helped by some wonderfully neutral commentary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

That's some try. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I think Horne is a class act actually. Great player. Ropey kicker though, but that is fixable. He has great awareness of what's around him when the play breaks up a bit.
    Glasgow will be no pushover but I think Leinster have come on in leaps and bounds in the last few weeks and should win.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Wasn't Horne at 0 when Glasgow went on their bonus point streak earlier on during the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Slowest Leinster backline in living memory?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

Apparently McFadden's the quickest in the squad over 20,40 and 60 metres.

Horne's a fantastic centre. I had him touted for international rugby and even a Lions bolter. Think he'd shine on a good team. However, playing him at 10 is a total unknown afaik.

joconnell wrote: »
    Apparently McFadden's the quickest in the squad over 20,40 and 60 metres.

Well believable, his top end is unbelievably quick. He got a few opportunities in the 2010/11 season to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

.ak wrote: »
    Horne's a fantastic centre. I had him touted for international rugby and even a Lions bolter. Think he'd shine on a good team. However, playing him at 10 is a total unknown afaik.

He's played at 10 multiple times actually

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Does BBC Alba have English commentary?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,101 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

jspuds wrote: »

Never anytime I've watched.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Never anytime I've watched.
    Ooooh.....I was almost certain that I got it on the red button....maybe I'm wrong. I'm going to the match today, so won't be able to check that out.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,101 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

vienne86 wrote: »
    Ooooh.....I was almost certain that I got it on the red button....maybe I'm wrong. I'm going to the match today, so won't be able to check that out.

Il check later

Are you sure youre not confusing it with s4c which has the red button option for english commentary?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

jspuds wrote: »

No but pre/halftime/post match analysis is in English and summarising during the game tends to be as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Never seen English commentary on Alba and as an expat I'm pretty reliant on them.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Il check later

Are you sure youre not confusing it with s4c which has the red button option for english commentary?

Didn't think so, but I have only watched ALBA a couple of times. You're probably right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Slowest Leinster backline in living memory?

Ah come on, that's a serious exaggeration!

Plenty of pace in the form of McFadden. Kearney is no slouch either

• Registered Users Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭Buer

trouttrout wrote: »
    Ah come on, that's a serious exaggeration!

Plenty of pace in the form of McFadden. Kearney is no slouch either

Indeed. Not a bullet over 10m but in full stride he can seriously move. The video of him running down Laulala against the Barbarians showed him in full flight. It's sort of like when a lot of people used accuse Horgan of being a big plodder and then saw him open up against Tuilagi and Murphy against Leicester or his intercept against the Scarlets when he went 80m.

Not too many professional rugby back three players are slow at all, it's just rare enough to see them get the ball in open spaces. Conway is a flyer but you wouldn't know it watching most of his games for Leinster this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Buer wrote: »
    Indeed. Not a bullet over 10m but in full stride he can seriously move. The video of him running down Laulala against the Barbarians showed him in full flight. It's sort of like when a lot of people used accuse Horgan of being a big plodder and then saw him open up against Tuilagi and Murphy against Leicester or his intercept against the Scarlets when he went 80m.

Not too many professional rugby back three players are slow at all, it's just rare enough to see them get the ball in open spaces. Conway is a flyer but you wouldn't know it watching most of his games for Leinster this season.

Yeah McFadden and Kearney have pace, and I've always thought that Sexton is very quick for a 10. Last game was the first time we saw what Conway has.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Generally nowadays, Leinster backs get little chance to show their straight line speed anyway, we play a completely different game than many other sides.

I'd rather have a Luke Fitz or Isa, neither top line speedsters, than a Conway or Carr any day. Think how many times Carr, or Conway prior to last week, got to show their pace?

Advertisement