Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Leinster Rugby vs Glasgow Warriors, Saturday 11th May 19:35,BBCAlba/TG4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Anyhow, back to the game. I thought in a way, yes, Leinster were lucky to win. Nothing to do with chances or anything like that, but rather Leinster had a game plan and it didn't work, and what's annoying is it's what we tried against them a few months ago. Obviously Joe thinks because they're a throw-the-ball-about team that if we spread it wide we'll find holes. Couldn't have been more wrong, we were completely predictable. The wrap-arounds and cut out passes were extremely obvious and Glasgow defence just had to hold their line and it was easy for them to defend. The few moments we had decent phases was when we kept it tight. After the break I thought we were going to come out and stick the ball up our jumper and truck it up the field... but we didn't, we came out and tried spinning the ball wide and it little flicks and it almost always resulted in a knock on or pass not going to hand when a try beckoned.

Sexton was quite poor I thought, kicking aside, he could've done with standing a bit deeper and letting Glasgow try and move off their line to defend. Conway, Isa and Ferg are made for beating players who need to turn on their heels, but put them up against a static defender and it's only really Isa that'll stand up a defender.

Anyway, win is a win. Obviously we didn't win in such a capacity as our northern brothers did on Friday, but a win is a win, even when it looked like it wasn't going to be our day we stuck it out and believed in ourselves. Last few scrums were immense, and McGrath really stamped his mark on the game in that regard. If a few things had gone our way (bounce for Isa, and the rebound of the post for him as well) we could've won big, but in reality those things aren't in our control and the gameplan is. Think Joe has himself to blame for that one, and also the concentration of the players needs to be up big time for next week and then the final against Ulster - who must be favourites based on the weekend's display.

Anyway, if we deserved a dodgy game after the past month, atleast we got it out of the way last night. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I honestly don't get this obsession that we have about what others are eating and drinking at games. As if your drinking an over priced pint of beer and a greasy hot dog, some how makes you a better fan than those that brought their own food & booze. Live and let live I say !

No, that's not the point at all, it's not what they're eating/drinking that people are objecting to, it's the fact that these people are more focussed on the food and a chat than on the rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Hagz wrote: »
    I'd rather a seat be filled by someone talking about work, while drinking wine and eating a prawn filled baguette than no one in said seat at all.

Of course. I've only said that it can create a better atmosphere without them. If people want to piss away 20 Euros to talk about work and not watch the game by all means. It still goes into the Leinster coffers
    Heroditas wrote: »
    Talk about being self-conscious. Perhaps enjoy the game instead of worrying about who's sitting beside you.

I couldn't give a s*** who stands beside me in the terrace. But it was my mates, not two randomers and when your squashed into a terrace it is hard not to hear what people your shoulder to shoulder with are saying and when work and NBA becomes the line of discussion while your camped in the opponents 22 it can be quite annoying. But the other side of terraces are better atmospheres than seats. I very much did enjoy the game thanks for asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

I honestly don't get this obsession that we have about what others are eating and drinking at games. As if your drinking an over priced pint of beer and a greasy hot dog, some how makes you a better fan than those that brought their own food & booze. Live and let live I say !

Anyway, I'll take them any day of the week over the tossers who start to stand up from their seats, from about oh.. the 30th minute of the first half onwards, so that they can be at the bar/jacks/chipper van first. It is SUCH a joy to have to stand up for them over and over and over, as well as have them block your view of what is going on on the pitch. I'd love to know what is going on in the mind of the players as they watch these rats desert the ship, when there is often something very exciting happening on the field of play.
    Well said.
    People don't realise that the so-called 'bandwagon' is what every sport aims to grow and there was a time when the allegedly die-hard fans were themselves 'bandwagoners'. Leinster v Munster in 2000 had plenty of spare seats in Donnybrook to be found.
    Too many experts actually know a lot less on the game than they claim. I've heard some amount of rubbish being spouted while in stands at a match. Their perceived hierarchy of fandom is utter delusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

JustinDee wrote: »
    Well said.
    People don't realise that the so-called 'bandwagon' is what every sport aims to grow and there was a time when the allegedly die-hard fans were themselves 'bandwagoners'. Leinster v Munster in 2000 had plenty of spare seats in Donnybrook to be found.
    Too many experts actually know a lot less on the game than they claim. I've heard some amount of rubbish being spouted while in stands at a match. Their perceived hierarchy of fandom is utter delusion.

Proud DUB is protesting against a complaint that was never actually made by anyone on this thread.

And your post above screams that you think you know more about the game or are a better fan than boards posters. You don't and you aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

Hey, what's the rule with the length of time that a kicker has. Sexton seems to take ages. I don't think that someone should be allowed to come on and give him a drink before he takes a kick. I think for his first penalty there was a pause of more than a minute before he kicked the ball.

Coburger wrote: »
    Hey, what's the rule with the length of time that a kicker has. Sexton seems to take ages. I don't think that someone should be allowed to come on and give him a drink before he takes a kick. I think for his first penalty there was a pause of more than a minute before he kicked the ball.

supposed to only be permitted 60 seconds.

It's a very relaxed rule, and one I hope they start enforcing again. There's a notable difference in Sexton's timing this season and last. I remember getting seriously pissed off watching the first HEC game against Exeter and he was taking an age with every kick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

supposed to only be permitted 60 seconds.

It's a very relaxed rule, and one I hope they start enforcing again. There's a notable difference in Sexton's timing this season and last. I remember getting seriously pissed off watching the first HEC game against Exeter and he was taking an age with every kick.
    I'm not sure when it exactly it was but there was one game this season where the score was tight and someone from the opposition gets sinbinned. Sexton took a quarter of the sin bin time to take the first penatly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Sexton takes way too long with his kicks and it's going to cause problems eventually. He's definitely taking over the allowed minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

There's no doubt he's painfully slow, even when it's under the posts, and we're chasing tries. He's just a ball of nervous tension.

I think it's a minute from when he receives the tee by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I believe a conversion is 90 seconds from when the try is awarded and as said a penalty is 60 seconds from when the kicker gets the tee.

Simple solution is to stop the clock while a penalty or conversion is being lined up.

Proud DUB is protesting against a complaint that was never actually made by anyone on this thread.

And your post above screams that you think you know more about the game or are a better fan than boards posters. You don't and you aren't.
    If I'm sitting at a game beside a pair of 'experts' who I know are actually wrong on a call or on what they're claiming is happening, I'm not claiming I'm better than anyone else. I'm saying I know that they are in fact, wrong. Its that simple.
    Nothing a little experience of the laws rather than subjective picking away at them, or even a ref-talk earpiece wouldn't sort out. It isn't rocket science. If some idiot thinks he's more justified to be considered a 'proper' fan than my own mother for instance, just because he's been going to games a few years longer than she, then he is deluded.
    That is what I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

JustinDee wrote: »
    Calm down there, whoever you are.

If some idiot thinks he's more justified to be considered a 'proper' fan than my own mother for instance, just because he's been going to games a few years longer than she, then he is deluded.
    That is what I meant. If you don't get that, then it isn't my problem.
    You know nothing of me to somehow gauge my own knowledge of the sport either so pack that in.

And like totallegend said that wasn't the criticisim raised by anyone if you'd look back through the thread. No ones claiming to be a proper fan but can't understand why people would come to a game and then not even pay attention. Nothing to do with a bandwagon either.

So he knows nothing of you to gauge your knowledge of the game but yet you can gauge the knowledge of someone your sitting beside and say they are ill informed when rugby has incredibly different interpretations of the game. Sure there are fans who make stupid calls, I know I've done it many the time, but usually it is out of clear bias which every fan in the world in every sport is prone to.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MBolgia

Yeah JustinDee! It's not as if you work for the IRFU or anything!

I do find the perception that some fans are better or more deserving than others frustrating and I tend to agree with what Justin is saying here; everyone starts off as a non-fan/participant/member and joins up at some stage. No one was born a fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Calm down there, Whoever you are
    Arguing with anonymous souls is pointless.

Ah yes. I forgot. We aren't as brave as Justin <snip> to put our name beside each of our posts, so our opinion inevitably counts for nothing. :rolleyes:

It's ridiculous when the media or anyone uses 'anonymity' as a way of dismissing an opinion. Who cares what anyone's real name is? Can you not just accept that he's called totallegend on here and focus on the point at hand?

Can you not just accept that he's called totallegend on here and focus on the point at hand?

Maybe he's got hippie parents and that actually is his name :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

My two cents on the matter, I couldn't really care less what people do or say at a game. They've paid their cash. They're entitled to do as they wish. They can chat about work or the weather or their holidays if they want. As long as their presence means cash into the coffers, I'm happy. If they want to eat salmon and prawns and drink chardonnay then by all means, let them. Unless it's merlot. If anyone drinks merlot, I'm going home.

I've heard people who are completely focused on the match making completely incorrect calls, calling players by the name of someone who isn't playing, shouting abuse at the ref and generally being obnoxious. I'm as happy to get someone next to me who is having a regular conversation about something else. We all start somewhere when going to matches and, when I first went, I'm sure I couldn't contribute much to the rugby conversations either.

Buer wrote: »
    My two cents on the matter, I couldn't really care less what people do or say at a game. They've paid their cash. They're entitled to do as they wish. They can chat about work or the weather or their holidays if they want. As long as their presence means cash into the coffers, I'm happy. If they want to eat salmon and prawns and drink chardonnay then by all means, let them. Unless it's merlot. If anyone drinks merlot, I'm going home

Lol :D

Anyway, back on the game. Yes, .ak, I reckon Sexton should have stood off and used the conditions more. We were struggling in the closing stages to slow things down and get a breath. The high tempo flinging of the ball suited them and their offloading game. Everything was sticking for them. We were trying to run it from our 22. Boss should have slowed it down, arranged his receivers and Sexton should have pinged it 40m down the line into the stand and let the clock wind down. Our line out was giving them difficulty on their ball. We tried running it once when Sexton threw an awful long skip out to the left that had to bounce to Nacewa. Pointlessly panicky stuff.

We were on top in the pack. We should have just kept the composure and, when we got our hands on the ball around halfway, picked and went. Kill their momentum and the frustration would have kicked in as Glasgow knew the clock was winding down. It was tailor made for Boss to orchestrate the game and bring his pack into the game rather than the risky inside spin passes and moving it wide that we attempted.

Boss is not playing well at the moment and its a pretty major problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

Ah yes. I forgot. We aren't as brave as Justin Deegan to put our name beside each of our posts, so our opinion inevitably counts for nothing. :rolleyes:

It's ridiculous when the media or anyone uses 'anonymity' as a way of dismissing an opinion. Who cares what anyone's real name is? Can you not just accept that he's called totallegend on here and focus on the point at hand?

I find that challenging the anonymity is often just an example of a typical straw man argument. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Journalists or whoever else imply the opinion counts less because of anonymity, or that there are keyboard warriors/scary internet people out there, and focus on that rather than ever engage with the points made by the person. You could say it's very much attacking the poster, not the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

.ak wrote: »
    In fairness, don't mind people standing up to get to the toilets. Rather they did that then piss all over the seats. :P

Funny how most people I know, are perfectly capable of sitting thru films, plays, concerts etc etc that go on a lot longer than 30 mins, without having to pee so badly, they'll wet themselves if they don't get up.

To those that can't, I say (a) cross your legs (b) get thee hence to your GP/urologist (c) stop by your nearest nursing home and borrow some of those groovy padded knickers the residents wear (d) all of the above. :D

I feel very bad for all those untold millions of Leinster fans unlucky enough to be cursed with a dodgy bladder. But t'wud be great if you stopped bothering those of us who have the misfortune to sit at the end of a row ! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Funny how most people I know, are perfectly capable of sitting thru films, plays, concerts etc etc that go on a lot longer than 30 mins, without having to pee so badly, they'll wet themselves if they don't get up.

To those that can't, I say (a) cross your legs (b) get thee hence to your GP/urologist (c) stop by your nearest nursing home and borrow some of those groovy padded knickers the residents wear (d) all of the above. :D

I feel very bad for all those untold millions of Leinster fans unlucky enough to be cursed with a dodgy bladder. But t'wud be great if you stopped bothering those of us who have the misfortune to sit at the end of a row ! :rolleyes:

Or you could just move to the middle of the row.....far less distrubance there than you get sitting on the end of the row.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ah yes. I forgot. We aren't as brave as Justin <snip> to put our name beside each of our posts, so our opinion inevitably counts for nothing. :rolleyes:

In some cases (not all) anonymity is a good thing, it means you don't have a reason to tiptoe round things. Maybe you could use our podcast as an example of this. Jerry Flannery made a reference to the difficulties of being critical of former teammates.

On the other hand, anonymity can also mean you're a bit more careless about what you say. There's a fine line and I think there's a balance between "anonymous people can say whatever the **** they want" and "known people have to be careful with what they say". Bandying about catch-all statements like "I can't argue with anonymous people" doesn't really help and would question why you're on an internet forum in the first place (No offence justin).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

Christ the bitterness on display.

This thread is supposed to be about the bloody rugby game. Instead we have posters having a go at Leinster's poor attendance and banging out the old stereotype chestnuts about most of the fans being uninterested in the game, drinking wine and eating prawn sandwiches. I've been going to Leinster games for 10 years and never in all that time have I ever seen anyone eating a prawn sandwich. It's a load of nonsense.

There's a creative writing forum on boards.ie that I feel would be much more suited for a lot of the posts in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Can we stick the topic of the game, and not anonymity please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

On the other hand, anonymity can also mean you're a bit more careless about what you say. There's a fine line and I think there's a balance between "anonymous people can say whatever the **** they want" and "known people have to be careful with what they say".

People on Facebook and Twitter who have their full names up can make some of the most utterly ridiculous statements and be far more offensive then you can be on an internet forum like this one here. Just look at any rugby related page on facebook for examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I recently saw a video on how much better life is if instead of assuming the worst of the people around you, you assume the best.

All I'm saying is next time you hear someone in a stand trying to pretend he knows it all, assume he's a first time season ticket holder who feels intimidated by the people around him and he's just trying to fit in.

The lad who goes to a game and just talks about work potentially has a tough home life, and finds that going to the game with a mate is a nice excuse to get away for an hour or two a week.

I'm not saying these things are true, but it'll make your life better if you assume them.

NB: Apologies AK for straying back OT

.ak wrote: »
    Can we stick the topic of the game, and not anonymity please.

That's easy for you to say from behind your keyboard...

*legs it*

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hype710 wrote: »
    I imagine Leinster STHs will take up their allocation. Will Ulster's? Are they also doing 2 tickets per STH?

We could sell out our allocation 2 times over at least.

Yea, 2 tickets per STH. If you don't have a ST you have no chance for this fixture. :(

Advertisement