Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiesta ST 1.6 Ecoboost 180bhp 6 speed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Asmooh wrote: »
    6.9s to 60 with 180hp? hmm... I would get an astra vxr instead :)

I thought they stopped making those about 6 years ago...? Hardly comparable cars in any way regardless as its a focus sized car not fiesta

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I thought they stopped making those about 6 years ago...? Hardly comparable cars in any way regardless as its a focus sized car not fiesta

I think the fiesta is still a much better car than a vxr even if it's from the class below.

It's more polished in nearly every department.

The astra still takes 6.2 seconds to get to 60mph and that's from a 2 liter unit producing 240bhp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Asmooh wrote: »
    6.9s to 60 with 180hp? hmm... I would get an astra vxr instead :)

Grand until you try take a corner..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Grand until you try take a corner..

Speaking of which...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It's a very nice looking hot hatch I must say...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I like this fellas car reviews and his review of Ibiza cupra helped me a lot last year.
    So he finally did a review of new ST.

https://youtu.be/l6lE4FMRS0w

So main points are:

Yes, its the meanest race and performance focused small hot hatch.
    3 cylinder small engine with a lot of power is actually worse for mpg.
    Its very race focused and just normal day to day driving is compromised. The idea of hot hatch is to have car that can do both.

I think that fiesta st is definitely not for me and I dont see much of advantage going for it over my current car, specially at that price tag. I drive a lot and st roughness would get old extremely fast. Polo GTI would suit me a lot better, but again, price tag is ridiculous.

Still, very cool hatch and a lot of petrol heads will love it, unfortunately its not for me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I like this fellas car reviews and his review of Ibiza cupra helped me a lot last year.
    So he finally did a review of new ST.

https://youtu.be/l6lE4FMRS0w

So main points are:

Yes, its the meanest race and performance focused small hot hatch.
    3 cylinder small engine with a lot of power is actually worse for mpg.
    Its very race focused and just normal day to day driving is compromised. The idea of hot hatch is to have car that can do both.

I think that fiesta st is definitely not for me and I dont see much of advantage going for it over my current car, specially at that price tag. I drive a lot and st roughness would get old extremely fast. Polo GTI would suit me a lot better, but again, price tag is ridiculous.

Still, very cool hatch and a lot of petrol heads will love it, unfortunately its not for me.

I'd say go drive one and then see for yourself.

I ran 2 of the last generation 1.6l FST's over 2 years and whilst any car must be a compromise between comfort and handling they were actually pretty easy to live with day to day. They were quite happy on a motorway, and a 3 hour drive wouldn't have you making an appointment with a chiropractor.

The new model is (according to reports) set up slightly gentler for normal road use, and with other modes for more spirited use.

The Recaro seats are brilliant, and now sit a bit lower.

The engine gets universal praise and whilst fuel economy isn't the first priority in this class of car I regularly saw 40mpg or slightly better with ordinary use. The new engine will be lighter on fuel if anything. Some roads tests are suggesting 45mpg at motorway speeds.

The price is high (all cars are expensive in Ireland) but undercuts it's rivals.

The outgoing model was a clear class leader, and this'll be no different I reckon.

I ran 2 of the last generation 1.6l FST's over 2 years and whilst any car must be a compromise between comfort and handling they were actually pretty easy to live with day to day. They were quite happy on a motorway, and a 3 hour drive wouldn't have you making an appointment with a chiropractor.

The new model is (according to reports) set up slightly gentler for normal road use, and with other modes for more spirited use.

The engine gets universal praise and whilst fuel economy isn't the first priority in this class of car I regularly saw 40mpg or slightly better with ordinary use. The new engine will be lighter on fuel if anything. Some roads tests are suggesting 45mpg at motorway speeds.

The price is high (all cars are expensive in Ireland) but undercuts it's rivals.

The outgoing model was a clear class leader, and this'll be no different I reckon.

Thats the thing, at least by reviewer and some of the comments online ( I know, very hard prove ) that mpg is worse then out going model in real life.
    Old fiesta was stiff indeed and new one is even more performance focused. As I said, nothing wrong with that, just I am not 20 anymore lol.

I still have a year or two to decide on my next car, but I do all my research in advance. As you said, I need to test drive it and see it for myself.
    I would be more interested in 5 door then 3 anyway, as my ratty is getting only bigger not smaller. I can still get away with 3 doors for next two years.

I'm in the same predicament, I'm into my 30's now, i'll be keeping my ST until at least 2019, after that it'll have to be a 5 door of some sort, the new ST sounds good but i'm leaning more towards a used Golf GTi /Leon Cupra or Octavia RS.

• Advertisement

hooch-85 wrote: »
    I'm in the same predicament, I'm into my 30's now, i'll be keeping my ST until at least 2019, after that it'll have to be a 5 door of some sort, the new ST sounds good but i'm leaning more towards a used Golf GTi /Leon Cupra or Octavia RS.

Same, Leon Cupra is actually on top of my list right now. Even now there is one for sale 151 for 22k eu, when new, its about 40k. Can't beat that value for money. So in 2 years time or earlier I might pick up 1-3 year old Leon cupra instead, when pcp is up.
    5 door st or polo gti would be handy, but I dont know if 30k and 34k+ is justified for what you get.

Dealer just mailed me and said no 5 door. Suggested maybe a 1L ecoboost...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

Yeah saw that alright, so was hopeful it was just not included on the price list. I have a no on the 5 door from two dealers now. Still early days I guess.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Yeah saw that alright, so was hopeful it was just not included on the price list. I have a no on the 5 door from two dealers now. Still early days I guess.

Coincidentally i was onto Lyons today, they are expecting their first car to arrive end of July, mentioned i'd be interested in 5 door and he said it would be a special order as all cars arriving for stock will be 3 door. Wouldn't say a 5 door is out of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd say if you put your money firmly on the table and were prepared to wait a few weeks, Ford would have no reason not to take an order.
    They might want about 10% of the value of the car as a deposit though.

I think that's the standard deposit for special orders, like Mustangs and RS's.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Another vid....

5 door now available, just got a mail. 600 euro as mentioned before.

https://www.completecar.ie/car-reviews/article/Ford/Fiesta/Fiesta_ST/580/8224/2018-Ford-Fiesta-ST-review.html

Fantastic review from completecar.ie. I'm going to find hard not to be interested in this car!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Saint Clabbert

Cannot disagree with you there - Definitely try one out first - Ive been running an ST daily for a few years now too, and its been really easy to live with. Wouldn't be doing much motorway driving, mainly urban, national and country roads, but on a long run, mpg is good and never get out feeling any pain. While chassis setup is stiff (because its a hot hatch...) - I don't find it uncomfortably so. Not many passenger complaints either. Tyre choice made a big difference though - OEM Bridgestones & Michelin PS3 were pretty noisy & hard. Settled on Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2 and these really took the edge off the crashy ride aspects of the Bridgestone/Michelins, without any discernible deterioration in wet/dry grip or wear characteristics. If you want backbreaking ride try a Racing Puma/Renault Clio Trophy!
    On the new ST, while the suspension is heavily revised, its a fully passive set-up. There is no active damper set up on the new ST. So far, the common consensus is that new ST is slightly more compliant, but as HF III said above, try one first.
    If you're not buying from stock & speccing your own car, then 5 door is a €600 option. Don't know why they insist on calling it a special order. They're all built on the same line.

• Advertisement

Another strong review. I'm tempted....

I'm close to pulling the trigger on one of these but keep thinking I should just get a 3 year old 320d instead...

Not sure what to do. New Ford has warranty and no doubt more fun. But new car depreciation is sore and novelty may wear off relatively quickly. The Ford makes a nice noise, has plenty of tech, practical enough for my need as well as nippy enough. Worried though that in 8 months I'll be looking elsewhere again and really don't want to do that. I did buy a new golf r a few years ago and on paper it ticked all the boxes but it left me a bit cold, and I sold it shortly after and took the hit so don't want to repeat that.

I've owned diesel BMs before, and out of all my cars i kept my 320d the longest. It was comfortable, economical and quick enough and I put 140k miles on it.

Probably a slightly biased thread to be asking for thoughts but not sure what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

I'm close to pulling the trigger on one of these but keep thinking I should just get a 3 year old 320d instead...

Not sure what to do. New Ford has warranty and no doubt more fun. But new car depreciation is sore and novelty may wear off relatively quickly. The Ford makes a nice noise, has plenty of tech, practical enough for my need as well as nippy enough. Worried though that in 8 months I'll be looking elsewhere again and really don't want to do that. I did buy a new golf r a few years ago and on paper it ticked all the boxes but it left me a bit cold, and I sold it shortly after and took the hit so don't want to repeat that.

I've owned diesel BMs before, and out of all my cars i kept my 320d the longest. It was comfortable, economical and quick enough and I put 140k miles on it.

Probably a slightly biased thread to be asking for thoughts but not sure what to do.

Unbiased view.... I have a mk7.5 ST. Great fun to drive- better than the Focus ST of same vintage - I tested both. Puts a smile on my face each time I drive it. Not much will keep up with it on B roads where it really comes to life. Not many on the roads.
    Had it since new - depriciated no end. Signs of rust. Corroded alloys (known issue yet Ford Ireland don't give a flying f***!), very soft paint - look at it and it chips, rattles started from the door now seems to be getting louder and from the whole dashboard now, interior looks dated, easy to nick, a lot of insurance companies in Ireland won't touch it as it's not a 1lt 70hp diesel.

Great fun, laugh a minute but only if you can live with the negatives of owning a Ford and the quality of the build.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Chefjom

Hi, just wondering has anyone got their car remapped. Getting my one done next week to 225bhp and 50 extra nm. Bit nervous about reliability act though.

I've the Mountune map, no issues in about 18 months of having it.

No change in fuel consumption either.

Test drive one. It's the only way

I think the ecoboost engines seem to be pretty reliable even tuned, unless of course you f**k up and end up putting Mustang heads on RS blocks. :pac:

I'm still hmmming over ordering one of these. Bit of a shadow of concern though are the potential deals that Ford might do in a year or two like they did before which would hurt resale value. Crystal ball stuff though knowing what's gonna happen in the future. Currently driving an older car that needs little bits and pieces done which is pissing me off a little. Silly stuff like topping up fluids etc. I just can't be arsed with it anymore.

I'm still hmmming over ordering one of these. Bit of a shadow of concern though are the potential deals that Ford might do in a year or two like they did before which would hurt resale value. Crystal ball stuff though knowing what's gonna happen in the future. Currently driving an older car that needs little bits and pieces done which is pissing me off a little. Silly stuff like topping up fluids etc. I just can't be arsed with it anymore.

I'd say hang tough a while and drive one at least, I know the reviews are glowing but i still couldn't buy a car with out trying it first. I can't see Ford slashing the price as much with this model in 1-2 years but it will be interesting to see if any decent discounts will be offered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Chefjom

Ya I think 225 bhp is enough for it anyway. think it will be grand just reassuring to hear another opinion!

Advertisement