Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbarians Squad Announcements v England & Lions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

ThisRegard wrote: »
    That's a pretty awesome line up, only question maybe is if they will click when playing together. Do they only play one game, the first game the Lions have ?

No they play England the week before. They'll rotate the squad between those two matches.

If some of the Lions involved in the Rabo and Aviva final are rested then the Lions might struggle, assuming the Barbarians click. You have to think they will give it everything, since it will be the only opportunity for many of those players to ever play the Lions

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Really hope they use Kahn at 9 and not 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

A lot of those players could be out of those positions. Payne at 13, Daly at 15, Rokocoko at 14, Hook at 10, Kahn at 9, Mumm at 6 etc.

I'd like to see

James, Brits, Castrogiovanni, Wentzel, Hamilton, Zanni, Hari, Parisse
    Yach, Evans, Ngwenya, Hook, Payne, Rokocoko, Daly

I suppose Hook has to play 12 because there's not much else available. Would love to see him at 10 outside Yachvilli and inside a more direct 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Rococoko, centre?

I know he plays there a bit in France, from what I've read he's not setting the world on fire. Haven't actually ever seen him play there, though. Makes me think he's just a shadow of his previously brilliant self, and is just slow (& ?fat) these days.

Swiwi wrote: »
    Rococoko, centre?

I know he plays there a bit in France, from what I've read he's not setting the world on fire. Haven't actually ever seen him play there, though. Makes me think he's just a shadow of his previously brilliant self, and is just slow (& ?fat) these days.

He's been much better at centre for Bayonne than on the wing by all accounts. I just tried to balance out the positions between the players named.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Grimebox wrote: »
    Stringer has played for them already for one

He played for them once a few years back.

A number of players in the squad have already been Baabaas - it's not a one thing in a career opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Does anyone know how the BaaBaas team is selected? Are the coaches appointed, and they do the selecting, or are the players chosen by a board of members from the club? Or something else?

Swiwi wrote: »
    Does anyone know how the BaaBaas team is selected? Are the coaches appointed, and they do the selecting, or are the players chosen by a board of members from the club? Or something else?

I think it's the board but I would imagine they consult with some highly respected people. I'd imagine Dai Young had a big say as well, especially on the young Premiership lads who have made the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Barbarians team vs England:
    15 Elliot Daly, 14 Timoci Nagusa, 13 Casey Laulala, 12 Mike Tindall, 11 Taku Ngwenya, 10 James Hook, 9 Dwayne Peel, 8 Imanol Harinordoquy, 7 Jonathan Poff, 6 Alessandro Zanni, 5 Marco Wentzel, 4 Jim Hamilton, 3 James Johnston, 2 Matthew Rees, 1 Andrea Lo Cicero.

Replacements: 16 Schalk Brits, 17 Paul James, 18 Duncan Jones, 19 Dean Mumm, 20 Sam Jones, 21 Dimitri Yachvili, 22 Stephen Jones, 23 Rowan Varty.

Who the hell is Jonathan Poff?
    Edit: http://www.wasps.co.uk/playerdisplaySS.ink?playertype=P&seasonl=2012/2013&squadno=8747
    Fair enough so.

not the most star-studded BaaBaas line-up ever but should be able to play some nice rugby. With Nagusa and Ngwenya, no shortage of pace out wide.

Poff is a neighbour of mine! He is an open side. Very strong player for wasps but not sure hes a baabaas type player really.

Pretty sure he's leaving this summer as well. Not sure where to.

Is that 5 Wasps in the Baabaas 23?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,886 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I know he played for them in 2011 but they shoulda selected Isa. Would have been a perfect way to end, half way home in a jamboree match against a number of his old colleagues and opponents

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

If Kahn played at 9 that'd be a really strong team.

Or even Yachvili at 9 would've been just as good. Not so sure about Peel though. Will be interesting to see what he's like these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

I'd imagine the squad will be rotated for next week and the best team will be put out for the match vs the lions

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I know he played for them in 2011 but they shoulda selected Isa. Would have been a perfect way to end, half way home in a jamboree match against a number of his old colleagues and opponents

Having played for them before does not preclude anyone from being called up. The Baabaas have several previous players in this tour squad. The Rabo final would have worked against Isa more than anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

England team:

Brown, Wade, Joseph, Twelvetrees, Yarde, Burns, Wigglesworth
    Kvesic, Morgan, Johnson, Attwood, Launchbury, Wilson, Webber (C), Corbisiero.

Subs: Paice, Marler, Thomas, Myall, B. Vunipola, Thomas, May, Eastmond.

With their Lions missing as well as Leicester and Northampton contingents, England are in experimental mode here.

EDIT: in fact, England have more uncapped players than the BaaBaas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Surprised Daly didn't make the English squad or did his Babaa's selection have something to do with that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

England team:

With their Lions missing as well as Leicester and Northampton contingents, England are in experimental mode here.

A lot of England fans would prefer a lot of those players to their more recent teams. If it clicks it'll be very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

England team:

There's some incredible athletes in that team.
    Wade, Joseph, Yarde in the backs and Johnson and Launchbury in second row are quality in terms of pure athleticism.

Couple of plodders around to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Looking forward to this match, England have some exciting backs. Should hopefully be a free flowing game

• Advertisement

Freddie Burns scores after 45 seconds!

Kvesic and Launchbury with turnovers. Two quality players there.

Mike Brown is such a top class player as well, it was his kick that led to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Going to have to mute the TV if Sky commentators keep mentioning the Lions whenever Hook touches the ball

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Going to have to mute the TV if Sky commentators keep mentioning the Lions whenever Hook touches the ball

Sky jinxed Hook when he played for USAP.

Baabaas not gelling at all yet...but am giving them a little time. Caps stats amazing, England XV 110 - Baabaas 629 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Move hook to 12, tindall off and jones on to 10.

Babas ball is stifled by tindall every time he touches it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Brown is having a good game, England gelling well, Baa Baas looking like they just met for the first time before the game

Tindall is the captain and coach. Also he's doing the work of an extra flanker out there. Just skip him when you need to send it wide and he's worth his place, bring Daly in instead.

Brown and Wade are dangerous together... Really hope Quins don't sign Wade!

Zanni slapping himself across the face was hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Zanni slapping himself across the face was hilarious

Wish butterfingers Tindall would do likewise

Advertisement