Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbarians Squad Announcements v England & Lions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Would like to see o'concrete get a run with the baabaa's

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

They can't send too many development players to the US though as there's another tournament on in Georgia as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

They clarified further
    We are disappointed as well. Still hope for at least one. Central deals make insurance etc much harder

I'd rather see the lads play for the Baabaas against the Lions than go on a Mickey Mouse tour to the US, particularly the Munster guys seeing as the season is well over. With a new coach coming in for Ireland, the learning potential of the US tour is diminished, much more will be learned in Carton House in the autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

athtrasna wrote: »
    They clarified further

I'd rather see the lads play for the Baabaas against the Lions than go on a Mickey Mouse tour to the US, particularly the Munster guys seeing as the season is well over. With a new coach coming in for Ireland, the learning potential of the US tour is diminished, much more will be learned in Carton House in the autumn.

Why? They'll learn nothing from going to play for a hobbled together expo team. They'll learn far more being based in an international setup, traveling with them, and getting exposure to the international stage. It doesn't really matter who the opposition is. Besides, getting some decent rhythm even against minnow sides is very valuable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

They clarified further

Learning potential for two games as part of the Barbarians is almost negligible. A mercenary team that have two training sessions before the games are about as mickey mouse as you can get. I find them entertaining but they are some of the most fruitless games out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

They clarified further

Sorry but we're trying to build a squad for next season and the 2015 WC, it is vital that anyone not selected for the Lions goes to North America. These are test matches. Why on earth would the IRFU allow players to put an exhibition match for Barbabrians ahead of test matches for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,851 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I agree, Barbarians is a luxury, perfect for the likes of Marcus Horan and Johnny O'Connor but not active test players

The North American tour isnt Mickey Mouse, (despite the disney like advert playing in Texas for the Heuston match). They need to be looking at new combos and systems right away, as by the time the Autumn series comes around, the Lions guys wont have a lot of rugby under their belt. Canada will be a gnarly enough test up front, great opportunity for the likes of Henderson and Kilcoyne to enjoy some positive games

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

No Irish players in Baa baa squad

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Riskymove wrote: »
    No Irish players in Baa baa squad

With the Lions and two summer tours on the plate, plus a potential all Ireland final at the end of the season, I'm not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

.ak wrote: »
    With the Lions and two summer tours on the plate, plus a potential all Ireland final at the end of the season, I'm not surprised.

This.

Although the Barbarians' twitter account did state that at least 1 Irish player would be involved. Maybe they meant Irish 'based' player i.e. Botha.. but then there's Payne too?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

connundrum wrote: »
    This.

Although the Barbarians' twitter account did state that at least 1 Irish player would be involved. Maybe they meant Irish 'based' player i.e. Botha.. but then there's Payne too?!

Could be one Irish based foreign player or one foreign based Irish player.

Like Geordan Murphy or Peter Stringer?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Could be one Irish based foreign player or one foreign based Irish player.

Like Geordan Murphy or Peter Stringer?

I'd like to see Murphy play for the BaaBaas.

That aside, it's a strong-looking selection...some world class players there. Must be one of the stronger BaaBaas sides in recent times. Probably better than the Lions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Not happy at all, wanted ROG :(

astonaidan wrote: »

Sure ROG will be over in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Grimebox wrote: »
    Sure ROG will be over in the US

I wouldn't count on that. Madigan and PJ probably.

Teferi wrote: »
    I wouldn't count on that. Madigan and PJ probably.

Sorry forgot to add: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

That's the thing - ROG, Stringer, Horan, O'Callaghan and a few others are unlikely to go on the summer tour and are certainly beyond "development" but closer to retirement. Strange that none of them have been included (leaving out the likes of Cullen & Nacewa due to the clash with the England match)

Stringer has played for them already for one

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Why on earth would the Barbarians select Marcus Horan?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That's the thing - ROG, Stringer, Horan, O'Callaghan and a few others are unlikely to go on the summer tour and are certainly beyond "development" but closer to retirement. Strange that none of them have been included (leaving out the likes of Cullen & Nacewa due to the clash with the England match)

Horan, ROG, Cullen and to a slightly lesser degree DOC would be completely out of place with the squad selected.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Fireball07 wrote: »

That aside, it's a strong-looking selection...some world class players there. Must be one of the stronger BaaBaas sides in recent times. Probably better than the Lions...

He played for them once a few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

I see Jared Payne gets an early chance to impress Schmidt. I read he's signed on to Ulster for a bit more, so it looks as if he will throw in his lot with the men in green. Hopefully he gets to play centre, but I imagine more likely to get FB?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Swiwi wrote: »
    I see Jared Payne gets an early chance to impress Schmidt. I read he's signed on to Ulster for a bit more, so it looks as if he will throw in his lot with the men in green. Hopefully he gets to play centre, but I imagine more likely to get FB?

Ireland's needs are more at centre, but Ulster's are very much more at fullback so hard to say really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

No Devin Toner

Devastated :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

astonaidan wrote: »

To be fair a barbarians game would suit ROG due to the fact that tackling is not really needed in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Fireball07 wrote: »

I actually think it's pretty weak. Remember that team from 09 that played Australia. Basically a mixture of south Africa, new Zealand and Shane Williams. That team was probably the best lions team ever. Back line was steyn, De Villiers, gear, habbanna, Montgomery and rococoko, and Shane Williams was on the bench. There was the same embarrassing amount of talent up front,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Ireland's needs are more at centre, but Ulster's are very much more at fullback so hard to say really.

Hopefully Ulster's boom in the centre will lead to a boom for Ireland as well. I think there are 13 test matches until Payne becomes eligible so I'm hopeful that in that time Marshall, Olding, Griffin, O'Malley and Cave etc will get a shot at solving the approaching midfield issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Finalised Squad:
    http://www.planetrugby.com/lions/story/0,25883,3551_8713775,00.html

Backs:

Back Three: Jared Payne (Ulster), Rowan Varty (DeA Tigers and Hong Kong), Takudzwa Ngwenya (Biarritz Olympique and USA), Timoci Nagusa (Montpellier and Fiji),

Centre: Joe Rokocoko (Bayonne and New Zealand), Elliot Daly (London Wasps), James Hook (Perpignan and Wales),

10s: Nick Evans (Harlequins and New Zealand), Kahn Fotuali'i (Ospreys and Samoa),

9s: Dwayne Peel (Sale Sharks and Wales), Dimitri Yachvili (Biarritz Olympique and France).

Forwards:

Props: Duncan Jones (Ospreys and Wales), B J Botha (Munster and South Africa), Paul James (Bath Rugby and Wales), Martin Castrogiovanni (Leicester and Italy), Andrea Lo Cicero (Racing Metro 92 and Italy),

Hookers: Matthew Rees (Scarlets and Wales), Leonardo Ghiraldini (Benetton Treviso and Italy), Schalk Brits (Saracens and South Africa),

Locks: Marco Wentzel (London Wasps and South Africa), Jim Hamilton (Gloucester Rugby and Scotland), Dean Mumm (Exeter Chiefs and Australia), Samu Manoa (Northampton and USA),

Backrowers: Francois Louw (Bath Rugby and South Africa), Sam Jones (London Wasps), Alessandro Zanni (Benetton Treviso and Italy), Sergio Parisse (Stade Francais and Italy), Imanol Harinordoquy (Biarritz Olympique and France).

Possible Team:
    Lo Cicero, Brits, Castrogiovanni, Hamilton, Manoa, Zanni, Harinordoquy, Parisse;
    Fotuali'i, Evans, Nagusa, Hook, Rokocoko, Ngwenya, Payne

Bench: Rees, James, BJ Botha, Mumm, Louw, Yachvili, Daly, Varty

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Barbaians twitter said they tried to get Irish players but they couldn't be released, Madigan playing outside Fotuali'i would have been sickening

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That's a pretty awesome line up, only question maybe is if they will click when playing together. Do they only play one game, the first game the Lions have ?

Advertisement