Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbarians Squad Announcements v England & Lions

Options
  • 06-05-2013 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

Some announcements already today, the Baabaas have confirmed that the Irish players will be named tomorrow.

Those named tonight: J Hook, P James, A Zanni, D Peel, S Manoa, J Hamilton & J Rokocko

Those previously named: Castro, Ghiraldini, Parisse, Fotuali'i, N Evans, Fourie, Harinordoquy, Tindall & R Varty

All via Twitter @Barbarian_FC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Hopefully Madigan gets a crack at them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Pudsy33 wrote: »

With James Hook and Nick Evans in the squad I'd say its unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

That's some lineup so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Pudsy33 wrote: »

Isn't the pro12 final on the same day as this?

I'd imagine we'll see a low representation from Leinster and Ulster in that case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

They said tomorrow's announcement is pending release agreements with the Provinces. Should be interesting...Zebo time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

athtrasna wrote: »
    They said tomorrow's announcement is pending release agreements with the Provinces. Should be interesting...Zebo time?

Please god, the quintessential Babaa's player

The first game vs England clashes, the second game is a week later. They are only taking 23 players so its likely there won't be many Lulsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Will be a large Munster contingent I think. Zebo, Ryan, Laulala, & Rog hopefully have all got to be in with a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

With James Hook and Nick Evans in the squad I'd say its unlikely.

True :( Nick Evans isn't particularly exciting tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

trouttrout wrote: »
    Please god, the quintessential Babaa's player

He's already in the squad: Mike Tindall! :P

• Advertisement

Are all these guys capped so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

durkadurka wrote: »

Rowan Varty is the captain of the Hong Kong 7s team. So I suppose he is the novelty uncapped player this time out. I guess they'll put him on the bench and bring him out to the delight of the home crowd.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I doubt we will see anyone who is travelling internationally involved with the barbarians

durkadurka wrote: »

Varty is Captain of the England HK 7s team (and counted as a capped player according to their twitter account). Two uncapped players to be named tomorrow, one English...and Tommy O'Donnell. Okay...I may have made the last bit up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Marcus Horan potentially? Normally the Barbarians will have one or two retiring players involved in their summer fixtures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Should be interesting...Zebo time?

I used to think that ubiquitous Zebo was getting just a little too much love around here.

But now I'm starting to realise that I just must have missed the genesis of a boards.ie meme or troll pandemic. Makes sense now. For a while there I was thinking people did really think he was the greatest wing since sliced bread. Where can I get a 'Zebo Time?" teeshirt ?

Almaviva wrote: »
    I used to think that ubiquitous Zebo was getting just a little too much love around here.

But now I'm starting to realise that I just must have missed the genesis of a boards.ie meme or troll pandemic. Makes sense now. For a while there I was thinking people did really think he was the greatest wing since sliced bread. Where can I get a 'Zebo Time?" teeshirt ?

His try count speaks for itself...the man is a legend. From the province that brought you Legends John Hayes, Paul O'Connell & Ronan O'Gara...we bring you Zebo! Definitely expect to see him and Ryan named tomorrow (convenient backup for Gatty)

His try count speaks for itself...the man is a legend. From the province that brought you Legends John Hayes, Paul O'Connell & Ronan O'Gara...we bring you Zebo! Definitely expect to see him and Ryan named tomorrow (convenient backup for Gatty)

I see the game now !

What about the theory that the Zeebster was left out of the Lions squad so that the Aussies dont take him into their tactics, but that an 'injury' to one of the selected backs is already planned, so that Zebo can be unleashed on unprepared Aus in the first test ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Hopefully they'll give the Lions a right old game!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

freddie burns maybe to get a call up or baas?

• Advertisement

I see the game now !

What about the theory that the Zeebster was left out of the Lions squad so that the Aussies dont take him into their tactics, but that an 'injury' to one of the selected backs is already planned, so that Zebo can be unleashed on unprepared Aus in the first test ?

So having him in Hong Kong at the start of the tour would be very convenient ;)

So having him in Hong Kong at the start of the tour would be very convenient ;)

Of course. I have been so naive. Simzeb is effectively already selected for the Lions first test starting 15, but canny WG is keeping him hidden from the enemy behind a hill, ready to swoop in and be a legendary Lion. So obvious now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Could Christian Wade be in line to be called up as an uncapped player?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Of course. I have been so naive. Simzeb is effectively already selected for the Lions first test starting 15, but canny WG is keeping him hidden from the enemy behind a hill, ready to swoop in and be a legendary Lion. So obvious now.

Is the hill a grassy knoll by any chance? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

conf101 wrote: »
    Could Christian Wade be in line to be called up as an uncapped player?

Yeah you wuld have to fancy him getting a run!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

All right, we get it, my sarcasm detector is about to blow...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Apparently central contracts are hindering the baa baas. As a result only Jared Payne and BJ Botha are involved from Irish clubs.

2 more players to be announced after various play off matches.

@Barbarian_FC
    Lots of big finals, overseas tours & central contracts. Nobody's fault. Still v v keen to include who we can from ireland!

Does this mean the IRFU think Zebo & Ryan will get more out of a tour to the USA than playing for the Baabaas? :rolleyes:

Named this morning: Yachvili, Ngwenya, M Rees, M Wentzel, S Jones, J Payne, F Louw, BJ Botha, D Jones

Fourie (announced previously) has withdrawn from the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Why would Madigan or Zebo ever be allowed to play in this? They will be in North America or at least prepping for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Does this mean the IRFU think Zebo & Ryan will get more out of a tour to the USA than playing for the Baabaas?

Were either Ryan or Zebo touted as potential selections?

I'd say the IRFU think "we're paying these lads to play rugby for us, not to go flouncing off to Hong Kong on a week-long boozing session".

TBH, I'd agree; the trip to USA and Canada is going to struggle to be meaningful anyway, but if it's a totally second-string side, then its value is totally undermined. We should be sending the strongest side possible over, so that means anyone who's not on Lions duty and has a couple of years left on the clock should be going to USA.

Advertisement