Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shave Of The Day - Boards Edition

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

1940s (I think?) Gold Gilette tech and Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

That Tech is from between 1946-1950 from what I can gather.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    That Tech is from between 1946-1950 from what I can gather.

Thanks, it's never been used from what I can tell and it came with the original blades. Often wonder if it was bought for someone who never came back from World War II...

Is there any code on the blades? If there is, it would probably be a 'R' 'S' 'T' 'U' or 'V' followed by a 1, 2, 3 or 4.

Just took some close up pics of the blade there, the only code I can find on it 'O45' Any ideas hitem?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

:pac:
    lizzyman wrote: »
    Just took some close up pics of the blade there, the only code I can find on it 'O45' Any ideas hitem?

Have a read

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Tech#Ball-End_Tech

Unfortunately that doesn't help. Think you'll have to be satisfied with the date range I mentioned earlier. It was a bit of a long shot for the blades having a date on them.

Thanks folks. It's a great little razor and a real piece of history anyway.

Friday evening shave - Proraso White pre-shave, Palmolive shave stick, L'Occitane Plisson, Gilette tech, Gilette silver blue & Bulldog Sensitive Moisturiser. (half price in Tesco at the moment, highly recommended.)

1nLGGtK.jpg

This was my shave a few days ago after about a week without one.

La Toja Manantales - Olivewood Silvertip - Toyo Scheon Burg - Myrsol Blue
    bXOkXpn.jpg

It was also my first use of a straight razor in about a month. Just not enjoying them so much at the minute. Need to get stuck in and rehone a few to get my mojo back I think.

Also Manantiales is awesome. Shame it was discontinued a while ago.

• Advertisement

Bless me father for I have sinned...

Gilette Mach 3 - Semogue 2000 - Taylor's Natural Cream - L'Occitane Cade aftershave balm - Dior Homme Cologne

JISlLrIl.jpg

ohn0d1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

My few times a week set. Sputnik's is my favourite de, love them and are a good fit for myself. A little 41c bought of a boardsie and soap is authentique bought in France for a euro a tub.

Nothing fancy or flash but a little set that im very comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

My few times a week set. Sputnik's is my favourite de, love them and are a good fit for myself. A little 41c bought of a boardsie and soap is authentique bought in France for a euro a tub.

Nothing fancy or flash but a little set that im very comfortable with.

Helps if there's a pic!

Monsavon is a fine choice for soap. It's one of the real bargains in DE shaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

x8kWzEE.jpg?1

SOTD 25/08/15

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

uncle_sam_ie, lovely razor, who makes it? The handle is lovely. ..is the brush a Semogue?

I had more time to shave today than I've had in a while so I figured it was time to break out the kamisori.
    2eb787r.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

pre-1946 Gold ball end Tech, EJ Preshave & Aloe Vera Cream, Plisson brush & Cade ASB.

Z20JadU.jpg

First time using the Injector in quite a while. I was going to trade or sell it on but it just shaves so well that it has earned a reprieve.

Shick M45, EJ Aloe Vera & Pre-shave, Semogue 2000, Cade ASB & Thayer's witch hazel.

In2Nyuhl.jpg

• Advertisement

I picked up a Feather AS-2DS for €90 on Adverts today so this was it's first outing for me. Was a bit disappointed at first as the head geometry looks to be exactly the same as my ball-end Tech so I was expecting a mild but unremarkable shave. I was wrong.

It does feel like the tech while shaving although the extra weight seems to make it glide a bit smoother over the skin. That's where the similarity ends though - two passes WTG (struggled with finding the angle on the first) and one XTG and sweet baby Jesus my face has not been this smooth since I was 12 years old. No nicks, no cuts, no weepers, no razor burn. Nothing. Three days growth simply wiped off by a Japanese ninja.

I used a Personna Prep blade. Any suggestions for other blades that work well in this style of razor?

8GmuaWGl.jpg

Try a feather in it maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Gotham Knight

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Try a feather in it maybe?

Perfect suggestion hitemfrank. I also have an AS-D2 and I find that Feather blades work better in this than in other razors I have. After several years of DE shaving I have concluded that the AS-D2 is the best DE raxor I have used. And I've tried closed, open, slant, Above the Tie, Merkur, Muhle, Icon, Edwin Jagger, Fatip, Weber. The Feather razor simply gives the most comfortable shave by a distance.

mynameis905, did you get the razor and stand for €90? That is outstanding value!

:)

Perfect suggestion hitemfrank. I also have an AS-D2 and I find that Feather blades work better in this than in other razors I have. After several years of DE shaving I have concluded that the AS-D2 is the best DE raxor I have used. And I've tried closed, open, slant, Above the Tie, Merkur, Muhle, Icon, Edwin Jagger, Fatip, Weber. The Feather razor simply gives the most comfortable shave by a distance.

mynameis905, did you get the razor and stand for €90? That is outstanding value!

:)

I did indeed. The guy selling it decided it wasn't for him and told me he went back to using a Braun electric :rolleyes:

I'll give the feather blades a go but for the moment I'm getting great shaves with the Personna preps. It's just so forgiving and easy to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Lovely shave last night after a weekend away on scout camp. Pre-shave was hot towel followed by Proraso Red balm. Muhle R89 Grande with Astra blade. Semogue Owners Club Boar Cherry. T&F Sandalwood cream and post-shave used some BullDog moisturiser as I'd got a lot of sun while camping then T&F Sandalwood Cologne. Nice close shave - felt great afterwards.

NiaH2G0.jpg

New goodies arrived from shaving.ie. Still cold outside but had a tropical shave this morning. Feather AS-D2 with Timor Solingen blades, Plisson brush, Proraso white, Taylor's Coconut & GFT Limes.

ExJcOsLl.jpg

Finally got around to sharpening some (6 of 13?) of my razors over the last few days. Today was test shave day for 3 of them.
    b035Pni.jpg

It went well for all of them so the next 3 will probably get tested on Sunday.

3tHpRtt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

SOTD 23/7/16
    gKOw9th.jpg?1

• Advertisement

sdh54i.jpg

I'll be testing out a brush I finished restoring yesterday. It's an Ever Ready 925 with a 20mm high mountain badger knot set at 48mm.

Advertisement