Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,504 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So if people subscribe now for that, they'll be hit again for another month on Sunday? :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

So if people subscribe now for that, they'll be hit again for another month on Sunday? :pac:

Or you could wait until Sunday to subscribe, you get the whole back catalog when you subscribe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Almost certain you're subscribed for a month from the day you subscribed, not a calendar month.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,504 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That's what you'd logically think, but not the impression you get from the plugs for world service. "Now is the best time to sign up" etc

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Raoul wrote: »
    I didn't feel like he was letting them off more saying that they might go unnoticed if some of the rags in England didn't just search twitter for the nonsense so they have something to write about. Pouring fuel on the fire basically. I agree with him.

While I think there is something to be said for not highlighting individual tweets/tweeters, if a BAME footballer is getting blasted with multiple instances of racial abuse, it is news and needs to be reported on in some fashion, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Anyone else finding the Athletic not really worth the subscription?

I've the free month and find it fairly hit and miss. Not that many articles out each day either, though a great one about the trouble at Bolton today in fairness. Would be nice if there was a general football tab, so you didn't have to go into each league to read articles about that league.

All the US content on the landing page is still annoying too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Anyone else finding the Athletic not really worth the subscription?

I've the free month and find it fairly hit and miss. Not that many articles out each day either, though a great one about the trouble at Bolton today in fairness. Would be nice if there was a general football tab, so you didn't have to go into each league to read articles about that league.

All the US content on the landing page is still annoying too.

I've got the free month trial and genuinely can't see myself paying for the year. I just don't find the majority of the articles that interesting. I enjoy Michael Cox's stuff (to a point) and I like Rafa Hogenstein, but I'm not really interested in paying £30 based on what I've seen in the first month so far.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Fairview has been postponed for two weeks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Fairview has been postponed for two weeks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Still Ill

That's what you'd logically think, but not the impression you get from the plugs for world service. "Now is the best time to sign up" etc

You may be right about this actually. Murph mentioned again that now is the best time to sign up on the football pod yesterday as it was the 2nd of September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Anyone know if Ken is right about the pronunciation of Moise Kean? I tend to go with the wisdom of crowds on these things but maybe that's not such a good idea with this particular crowd. Anyway, 'Moyes Keane' is a perfectly appropriate name for an Everton player:P

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I really like listening to David Sneyd. There's something refreshing about him.

Nokotan wrote: »
    I really like listening to David Sneyd. There's something refreshing about him.

I'm not a fan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Miguel Delaney seems to think that the Spurs squad is going to be great once they fit and rested????

It's not like they are going to have any rest from now on and he seemed to be sure that they would get more rested and fitter!
    Bizarre

Miguel Delaney seems to think that the Spurs squad is going to be great once they fit and rested????

It's not like they are going to have any rest from now on and he seemed to be sure that they would get more rested and fitter!
    Bizarre

The problem there is you're trying to apply logic to a point made by Miguel Delaney

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Only a 30 minute podcast for me this week. I can barely stomach Miguel, but it's the lads' pandering to him that pushes me over the edge of "okay done listening to this episode".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Only a 30 minute podcast for me this week. I can barely stomach Miguel, but it's the lads' pandering to him that pushes me over the edge of "okay done listening to this episode".

He is so inarticulate when being interviewed, his journalistic career is one of the miracles of our time. I can't remember one remotely interesting or cutting edge thing he's ever written.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

terrydel wrote: »
    He is so inarticulate when being interviewed, his journalistic career is one of the miracles of our time. I can't remember one remotely interesting or cutting edge thing he's ever written.

While I can see why people don't like Miguel he's gotten loads of scoops over the years with his newspaper journalism so bit harsh to say he's never done anything remotely interesting. I don't mind him on the pods but they have better contributors generally, as you say he's not very articulate when spoken to on podcasts. Jonathan Wilson or Jonathon Liew are far better guests IMO.

terrydel wrote: »

If it was secondary school, I'd assume that many lads hang around with him because they're dying for a cut off his sister or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I dunno lads, he splutters and false starts his sentences his a bit, but is he really thaaaat bad?

Obviously he's not a patch on their more articulate or perceptive guests, but I don't know if he's honestly any worse than most of the others they usually have on. I always try to listen out for the stuff that supposedly makes him far worse than all the others - and I still don't think he's noticably bad. Just a totally bog standard contributor to Second Captains.

I don't get the pandering thing either. The lads ask him questions and he answers? They aren't saying he's the best in the business?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

corwill wrote: »
    If it was secondary school, I'd assume that many lads hang around with him because they're dying for a cut off his sister or something.

YellowNegligibleAnnashummingbird-size_restricted.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

It's his smugness that turns people off. He is a horrible character on twitter and his smugness carries over to his radio appearances.

While I can see why people don't like Miguel he's gotten loads of scoops over the years with his newspaper journalism so bit harsh to say he's never done anything remotely interesting. I don't mind him on the pods but they have better contributors generally, as you say he's not very articulate when spoken to on podcasts. Jonathan Wilson or Jonathon Liew are far better guests IMO.

Yeah, I find him hard to listen to and I'm not a fan of his written opinion/analysis either, but those are issues of taste, and he certainly seems to be wired in as a journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

It's the voice that turns me off, just the inarticulate shouttiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Genuinely cant recall one scoop, can you point out one please? Not been facetious, but I just find his work so completely forgettable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Getting scoops isn't a great trait for me anyway. Who cares if its him or someone else who breaks it.

Something like mark tighe and the fai stuff is good journalism.

MD telling me chelsea will sign someone two hours before its announced is not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Beersmith wrote: »
    Getting scoops isn't a great trait for me anyway. Who cares if its him or someone else who breaks it.

Was just about to say the same. Being pally pally with agents in order to break a story first doesn't equate to journalism. Delaney's often wrong about transfers anyway. Transfer speculation is just a cesspit of sports news and "journalism".

As someone else pointed out, it's impossible to separate Delaney's twitter persona to his podcast contributions. He's a childish prick, to put it bluntly. He's like a spoiled child that never grew up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

100% agree with these.

Exactly what I was going to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Really enjoyed the chat with Richard Seymour on Ken's political podcast. I wanted it to go on a bit longer especially the bit about comparing the Woke folk to trolls.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement