Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Talk about timing :o

Richie's delivery of 'You're a moron' when talking about people being upset about Alex Morgan's celebration was fantastic.

Thought Richie was trying too hard at times yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Despite their generally progressive coverage regarding the women's World Cup, they still spent half the time talking about a man.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Cienciano wrote: »
    I think Richie was making too big a deal about it tbh. I use a good bit of social media and it was the vast minority and pretty much zero football fans had a problem with the tea celebration. You'll always have a tiny minority on twitter looking for a reaction by being a contrarian, but why give them so much airtime? The only person who I saw complain about it was another female footballer, Lianne Sanderson. No England fans seemed to have a problem with it.
    And I think Richie is letting the Americans a way with a bit, especially the Thailand game. Imagine Manchester United against Aldershot Town in the FA cup 3rd round and Alexis Sanchez celebrating united's 10th goal in the same way as Rapinoe. Would Richie be telling people that's a brilliant winning mentality? I think it's being a knobend, man or woman.

I was hoping USA would win the final, mostly because it annoyed a certain section of the USA population, but I can understand why anyone wouldn't support them. And for a guy who was giving out about how women are treated differently to men, he spend about 20 minutes focusing on the gender of the players rather than the actual game.

there seems to be an awful lot more people giving out about people giving out about the celebration than there are actually giving out about the celebration in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,009 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

corwill wrote: »
    Lazy fuppers like me prefer to let a barber sweep up the mess. I have a clippers, but you'd be finding wee hairs all over the place for ages after, no matter how careful I was.

But if your barnet is as tight as his can you not just shave it? I assumed the convenience of that was one of the main reasons why guys went for that look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

But if your barnet is as tight as his can you not just shave it? I assumed the convenience of that was one of the main reasons why guys went for that look.

I go blade 1 all over, blade 0/wet shave is a bit too Mekon-ish. The tiny hairs produced by a 1 are a worse mess than longer hair clippings, IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Very strong interview today on the controversy in New Zealand rugby. The boys were on top form with their questioning and the NZ contributor was articulate and detailed in his responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

one thing I couldn't be arsed with are self gratifying try hard emails from DIG or Ultimate Frisbee blah blah or any other crap like that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

CatFromHue wrote: »
    there seems to be an awful lot more people giving out about people giving out about the celebration than there are actually giving out about the celebration in the first place.

Exactly. People want to moan about people moaning. But no one is moaning so they moan anyway. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

https://twitter.com/SecondCaptains/status/1148591323588497409

Interesting comments under the original tweet. I thought the interview so incredibly one sided against a person who essentially said 'all violence is bad'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Those Baseball commentators sounded like they were describing a dog on the pitch and not A HUGE F*CKING 7.1 EARTHQUAKE!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

I do love some Uncle Jim!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

deisedude wrote: »

He's on speed. He has to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

He's brilliant isn't he!?

An evening with him would be a pleasure..

I don't mean one of those soulless corporate 'evening with X' either.. just an evening in a pub corner or someone's front room.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The man can paint a picture with words.

Also remember him from TSG growing up. Great memories.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

Nokotan wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/SecondCaptains/status/1148591323588497409

Interesting comments under the original tweet. I thought the interview so incredibly one sided against a person who essentially said 'all violence is bad'

Didn’t like it at all . Very witchhunty feel to the whole thing.
    He plead guilty and the girl in question has stayed with him by all accounts .
    She has forgiven him , why the hysteria ?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Don’t get the uncle Jim love, he was like a harmless taxi driver who wouldn’t shut up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I don't know why they bothered with a football podcast yesterday. I suppose Ken loves nothing more than speaking about Neymar so presumably that's an itch scratched!

dulux99 wrote: »
    I don't know why they bothered with a football podcast yesterday. I suppose Ken loves nothing more than speaking about Neymar so presumably that's an itch scratched!

Because there'd be plenty of whinging if they didn't. It's the off season, news is thin on the ground, especially with the lack of transfers so far this summer. lthough I enjoyed it, as I generally do when they have Oluwashina on. Maybe they're keeping their meagre store of football content for later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

corwill wrote: »
    Because there'd be plenty of whinging if they didn't. It's the off season, news is thin on the ground, especially with the lack of transfers so far this summer. lthough I enjoyed it, as I generally do when they have Oluwashina on. Maybe they're keeping their meagre store of football content for later in the week.

Ah I know, but for such a blockbuster weekend of sport, spending an entire pod on football when there was hardly anything happening seemed a bit unnecessary. Even Ken couldn't help but talk about the other sport!

• Advertisement

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    Don’t get the uncle Jim love, he was like a harmless taxi driver who wouldn’t shut up!!

I haven't got round to any of his SC contributions, but he truly was an atrocious commentator back in the day. Like George Hamilton at his worst all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I haven't got round to any of his SC contributions, but he truly was an atrocious commentator back in the day. Like George Hamilton at his worst all the time

Once he starts talking there's very little the presenter has to do to keep the conversation going.

kippy wrote: »
    Once he starts talking there's very little the presenter has to do to keep the conversation going.

I was thinking by the end of it that, (a) unless there's a historical event or topic that he can provide a particular insight into, I'm all stocked up on Uncle Jim for the foreseeable future, and (b) I'd say you wouldn't be telling Uncle Jim very much these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

dulux99 wrote: »
    I don't know why they bothered with a football podcast yesterday.

Because it was Monday. That's their bread and butter. Don't hate the bread. Hate the lack of butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

My West of Ireland brain guffawed knowingly at Ken pronouncing Louisburgh as if it was founded by a French King back in the day. He was bound to make that mistake.

Arghus wrote: »
    My West of Ireland brain guffawed knowingly at Ken pronouncing Louisburgh as if it was founded by a French King back in the day. He was bound to make that mistake.

He stumbled over 'Nephin' too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Do you wanna collect pis.s for a living like him....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

I just skip his segments. Maybe it's the residual memories of hearing him (unfortunately frequently growing up in Galway) talk ring in the media that make his ramblings just annoying to me.

I suppose most people from GAA stock in rural Ireland have many, many relatives with just as many quirky GAA anecdotes as Jim Kearney, so hearing another uncle on the radio isn't really riveting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I think the Uncle slot is keeping Murph relevant with something to add most times it is very cringy stuff (remember that quiz at the end of the TV shows which was Murphs only real contribution), being honest if he wasnt there he wouldnt be missed but Ken and Eoin are missed when they arent there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

Ah give it over, Murph is brilliant.
    I find him very funny!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement