Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭bren2001

Arghus wrote: »
    Participation sport. As people participate in it, that does include 5 a sides and kids kicking the ball around at lunch.

It is the biggest. It's not even close.

It's the biggest team participation sport but by no means the biggest participation sport. Swimming and golf have a higher participation rate.

From the ESRI study Sports Participation and Health Among Adults in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,355 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

bren2001 wrote: »
    It's the biggest team participation sport but by no means the biggest participation sport. Swimming and golf have a higher participation rate.

From the ESRI study Sports Participation and Health Among Adults in Ireland.

Golf?

I'm sorry there is literally no way Golf is the biggest participation sport in the country. Can you show me the link to that survey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

How can you say its not worth listening to if you didn't even listen to it?

I thought it was a good chat about the league in general and how its changed recently

I meant the "league of Ireland lol" bit at the start before they went to the proper business of Man Utd. Didn't know they were going back to Snyed later at all but I went back and listened today. He's decent.

Golf?

I'm sorry there is literally no way Golf is the biggest participation sport in the country. Can you show me the link to that survey?

Page 22, it's really not that surprising, you can play golf a lot longer than football. Nowhere near as rough on the body.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150904125738/http://www.esri.ie/UserFiles/publications/20070223162340/BKMNINT178_Main%20Text%20Chapters%201-4.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Participation includes kick abouts?

• Advertisement

Page 22, it's really not that surprising, you can play golf a lot longer than football. Nowhere near as rough on the body.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150904125738/http://www.esri.ie/UserFiles/publications/20070223162340/BKMNINT178_Main%20Text%20Chapters%201-4.pdf

You also need to be making 5 figures to be accepted past the gate and the tiger is long dead.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Participation includes kick abouts?

Why wouldn't it? It's sport and by taking part you are participating.

You also need to be making 5 figures to be accepted past the gate and the tiger is long dead.

You need to be making 10k a year? Yeah you need to have a job, Its an expensive sport but not that expensive. There are cheap courses available.

That's a survey of adult participation rates. So the huge numbers of kids and young teenagers who play don't feature anywhere in the data.

You need to be making 10k a year? Yeah you need to have a job, Its an expensive sport but not that expensive. There are cheap courses available.

**** yeah, six :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

**** yeah, six :D

How much do you think golf membership is?

That's a survey of adult participation rates. So the huge numbers of kids and young teenagers who play don't feature anywhere in the data.

Well if you wanna go off and find the relevant study be my guest. I don't think it's as clear cut as you were suggesting. Swimming has huge numbers.

How much do you think golf membership is?

I know it's not the 20k-plus that it was in the wanker years but still the long standers don't want people around courses that don't convey a certain image (equipment, transport, clothing, etc).

Well if you wanna go off and find the relevant study be my guest. I don't think it's as clear cut as you were suggesting. Swimming has huge numbers.

I'm afraid I don't have that survey, but, anecdotally, I was once a schoolkid myself and I didn't spend too many lunch breaks playing golf - or swimming for that matter either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

No it doesn't really.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Are you counting having baths ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Lads, c'mon. It's football by about a million miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I meant the "league of Ireland lol" bit at the start before they went to the proper business of Man Utd.

They always talk about things they attend in that way, I never got the sense they were taking the piss out of the LOI.

Speaking anecdotally, I went to a gym with a glass window separating it from swimming pool, and the pool was always fairly busy.

Why wouldn't it? It's sport and by taking part you are participating.

not arguing bud - just clarifying what participation is taken to mean..

Just when I heard him state it first - I presumed it to mean participation in organised competitive sport. Which I presume the GAA would be front runner of.. Maybe it isn't - just another presumption.

Could easily see soccer lead the way with participation defined like that. Although almost every 5 a side game I've played - I've usually been the only one who actually played Sunday or District league footie - the rest could be competitively playing a whole range of other sports.

But I suppose that just goes to show that it is football that most people will play in some shape or form.

• Advertisement

wow a whole 5 figures...

sure that's only pretty much every working adult in this country...

lawred2 wrote: »
    wow a whole 5 figures...

sure that's only pretty much every working adult in this country...

Read on, bub.

I know it's not the 20k-plus that it was in the wanker years but still the long standers don't want people around courses that don't convey a certain image (equipment, transport, clothing, etc).

It was never 20k outside of a few elite clubs which are still expensive. The vast majority of golf clubs are affordable and inclusive.

You've got an odd (wrong) perception of the sport of golf. I doubt your mind will be opened by anything that'll be said here so I'll leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

styron wrote: »

Ahhhh here !

Yoga ? Exercise ? Dancing at a push but still.

If the above is true then for sex is the number one sport in the country and and **** (Males) between the ages 14-45 would still hammer swimming, let alone yoga

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Does "oulwans/oufellas standing chatting in the shallow end of a pool for half an hour but not swimming a stroke" count as participating in sport now?

Any pool I've ever seen in Ireland has one, rarely two, lanes with usually one, perhaps two, at a push three, people per lane actually swimming. But usually they can't agree whether it's clockwise or anticlockwise so they crash into each other. There may be a sign but who cares. Saw a punch-up in a hotel pool last year over this :pac:

Then some c*nt shows up doing the backstroke up the middle of the lane so nobody else can use it :rolleyes:

The rest are splashing about or just having a chat.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Ah yes, golf is a bigger participant sport than soccer. A very common occurrence in my estate is a load of young lads running around with their pitching wedges on a sunny evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭batistuta9

https://www.irishsport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Annual-Review-2016-Online.pdf
    federation of irish sport 2016 annual review, loads more in the pdf & the funding they got
    org.| clubs| participants
    fai| 2500| 450000
    ladies gaa| 1334|180474
    irfu|229| 164000
    golf(m)| 413| 151000
    gaa*| 2028| 127473
    camogie| 560| 100000
    athletics| 340| 58000
    golf(f)| 375| 41000
    swim ireland| 166| 16105
    handball(gaa)| 226| 15454
    cheerleading| 4| ?

*this seems to be the number at a summer camp for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Anyone have an issue with their RSS link? I was away but now noticed my podcast Republic app hasnt updated in ten days. Reinstalled the app and it just fails to add the feed. Same on other apps. Patreon is paid up. Anyone have this issue?

Update Fixed.

Anyone have an issue with their RSS link? I was away but now noticed my podcast Republic app hasnt updated in ten days. Reinstalled the app and it just fails to add the feed. Same on other apps. Patreon is paid up. Anyone have this issue?

Update Fixed.

There was something about them changing URL's. Look up the SC Twitter as it was mentioned I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭MercuryBoy

If the above is true then for sex is the number one sport in the country and and **** (Males) between the ages 14-45 would still hammer swimming, let alone yoga

Most Yoga classes are most definitely an excellent workout, even moreso with types like Vinyasa, you've obviously never attended one!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement