Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

A few hilarious moments today.

Ken thinking that Leitrim's nickname was the Rossies.

Murph's Meath accented team sheet.

And Ken's dramatic reading of that hot-air fuelled letter from the Meath chronicle, spelling mistakes and all other errors present and correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Arghus wrote: »
    A few hilarious moments today.

Ken thinking that Leitrim's nickname was the Rossies.

Murph's Meath accented team sheet.

And Ken's dramatic reading of that hot-air fuelled letter from the Meath chronicle, spelling mistakes and all other errors present and correct.

Yeah, I was laughing my ass off walking the dogs in the park earlier. Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

The Delaney saga has really helped second captains deliver the goods the last two weeks

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Thought Colin Regan was excellent on Friday, also liked how Ken couldn't believe that Murph's mammy was honest with those American visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

Thought Colin Regan was excellent on Friday, also liked how Ken couldn't believe that Murph's mammy was honest with those American visitors.

I generally skip the GAA stuff, I have very little interest, but I could listen to Colin Regan all day, really interesting. Murph is contributing a bit more succinctly lately too, plus Ken on a great run of form since his holiday. Good entertainment at the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

It's not like he put on a Jimmy Saville mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Actual laugh out loud moment on train at Eoin trying to make an artist metaphor

Some craic today

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Yes very good today. You can’t fake the rapport those lads have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Which one? I was going to skip 1437 and just listen to 1438 but I'm a bit short of them so might download the former again.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Which one? I was going to skip 1437 and just listen to 1438 but I'm a bit short of them so might download the former again.

1437 - football show.

• Advertisement

A lot of gold on the show today after the farce at the Oireachtas committee.

I never thought Dion Fanning could get so passionate. He sounded genuinely maddened with incredulity at one point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

A lot of gold on the show today after the farce at the Oireachtas committee.

I never thought Dion Fanning could get so passionate. He sounded genuinely maddened with incredulity at one point.

Check out his joe.ie podcast called the football spin. He rants and raves like a lunatic on it especially about the Irish team. It sounds very forced though.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Thought Dion's impassioned piece at the end was great. I've never heard him so vexed. John Delaney, and corporate Ireland, are rotten and yesterday was, as Dion put it, a lesson for all of us on how the country works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

hankless wrote: »
    Thought Dion's impassioned piece at the end was great. I've never heard him so vexed. John Delaney, and corporate Ireland, are rotten and yesterday was, as Dion put it, a lesson for all of us on how the country works.

He was absolutely fuming.

They were brilliant at calling out bull**** like the FAI's antics by highlighting it in a funny way without losing track of the seriousness.

The bit about the UV lights....

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

threein99 wrote: »
    ...highlighting it in a funny way without losing track of the seriousness.

They are masters of this. I think the familiarity of listening to them for so long, plus their style of friends shooting the breeze over topics really helps them stand (leaps and bounds) ahead of any other Irish Podcast, sporting or other, when it comes to talking about stuff the nation is engaged with.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

hankless wrote: »

I'm sure Dion Fanning (son of former indo & sindo editor Aengus Fanning) is well aware how this country works alright.

Can't respect a journo who works for poxy balls.ie.

I'm sure Dion Fanning (son of former indo & sindo editor Aengus Fanning) is well aware how this country works alright.

I don't think any of that had anything to do with the validity of his opinions yesterday.

Sometimes I do think he's full of it - a poor man's Ken - but I thought he was very good yesterday.

Not that I'd necessarily endorse these guys, but I also listened to the Football show podcast from Off The Ball yesterday and they were also pretty good. Obviously, they weren't as entertaining as SC - they're a bit more plodding and self-serious - but they were a bit more forensic in their review of the day and they also had Fegus O'Dowd, the chairman of the Oireachtas committee, on the show. He was pretty unequivocal about how he thinks the entire board should go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Not that I'd necessarily endorse these guys, but I also listened to the Football show podcast from Off The Ball yesterday and they were also pretty good.

All I could hear while reading this was "Not that I'd necessarily agree with anything Ken Early says about football."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The bit about the UV lights....

I was so intrigued by his description that I had to check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭deisedude

I was so intrigued by his description that I had to check it out.

What a heap of sh1te and waste of money. Why dont they give the kids flamethrowers and unicycles and make it more ridiculous while they are at it

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

JOE.ie not balls - a better class of click harvester than Gilroy's grubby side-line.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

aloooof wrote: »
    All I could hear while reading this was "Not that I'd necessarily agree with anything Ken Early says about football."
    Anytime I hear that clip I remember some of the bullshíte Giles has said. One I remembered today was the time when Fergie put Rooney into midfield and Giles said he was the best midfielder he's ever seen. "Ever" for someone like Giles was a big thing to say too. That was back when they were on Newstalk. But we're not football men, so obviously we just missed something

Cienciano wrote: »
    Anytime I hear that clip I remember some of the bullshíte Giles has said. One I remembered today was the time when Fergie put Rooney into midfield and Giles said he was the best midfielder he's ever seen. "Ever" for someone like Giles was a big thing to say too. That was back when they were on Newstalk. But we're not football men, so obviously we just missed something

I’m almost certain he said he had the potential to be the best midfielder in the PL at the time or that at most he said he was the best midfielder in the PL at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Cienciano wrote: »

I was listening to the Dunphy pod earlier in the week (I know, it's my own fault) and Giles went on a 'Proper Football Man' rant about how it's players that win games not tactics after Dunphy and Brady dared to suggest that Pochettino might have something up his sleeve for the Man City game.

"Aguero is their best striker, just stop him scoring"

I quite like Giles but I dislike how some people see him as a master analyst.

Giles’ analysis of everything tactically is as follows: you need a midfielder who is comfortable and willing taking the ball off the back 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭deisedude

Dots1982 wrote: »
    I quite like Giles but I dislike how some people see him as a master analyst.

Giles’ analysis of everything tactically is as follows: you need a midfielder who is comfortable and willing taking the ball off the back 4.

It's mainly Dunphys fault. Giles has never made himself out to be a master analyst but Dunphy has portrayed him as that quite a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 33,984 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I’m almost certain he said he had the potential to be the best midfielder in the PL at the time

Which would still have been complete bollo (MUFC fan here.)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I’m almost certain he said he had the potential to be the best midfielder in the PL at the time or that at most he said he was the best midfielder in the PL at the time.
    I'm pretty sure it was best midfielder ever. I remember the lads seemed bit taken aback by it.

Giles and dunphy usually covered themselves with the caveat "I'm just going on what we seen on the pitch tonight". Fergie has lost it, Ronaldo is rubbish, Pep doesn't know what he'd doing. Based on the 90 minutes they just saw. But you cannot criticise their opinion because you're not a football man.

EDIT, I googled it and found this article. OK, I didn't get it completely right:
    https://www.the42.ie/is-john-giles-right-is-rooney-the-best-midfielder-in-england-271788-Nov2011/

“I played plenty of matches against (Ferenc) Puskas, (Alfredo) Di Stefano… very luckily, I played with Denis Law and I played against Jimmy Greaves and Kenny Dalglish. I don’t think any of those players were capable of playing in the middle of the field as well as Rooney did last night.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,429 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

The "political" podcast on climate change, what a load of ****. Nothing new, dull and plain rubbish. I like the idea of the odd podcast on a different subject but these political podcasts are awful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement