Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I mean Ken used the example of Fallon Fox in MMA saying she didn't even have a good record. Think she went 3-3. Her being bad shouldn't come into it. Watching her fight looked like a man punching a woman. It's uncomfortable to see.

The way it is brushed aside as if there isn't even a debate is wrong imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,355 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The debate a lot people want to hear on this issue, it seems, is people just agreeing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I've missed a couple of days. I see today is Delaney. I hope they go to town on him

Cienciano wrote: »
    I've missed a couple of days. I see today is Delaney. I hope they go to town on him

I think he got off fairly lightly from the discussion to be honest. I got the sense that he'll ride this latest story out just like all the other ones.

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't think it's that simple.

As usual, it's a more complicated issue than a lot of people make it out to be.

On one hand there are legitimate issues with transgender females competing in female sports - all the caveats to do with size, strength, athleticism etc, etc are all uncomfortable facts. So I can understand why people have an issue with all of that, absolutely. To argue that it is unfair on female from birth athletes in some circumstances and some respects isn't unreasonable. It is unfair.

But to look at it from the other side: transgender people have fought for a long time for visibility, recognition and then acceptance from society in order to live their lives and to affirm their identity. Should sport say, "no, not for us". That in every other avenue of life it's increasingly accepted that transgender people have a right to self-identify - and not just that, people have life altering surgery and take hormones and god only knows what else can be involved, and that's just the physical side of things - but yet that's not good enough for sport? That as far as many are concerned you still should be viewed as a bloke or even just another third category altogether? When you may have fought and gone through hell for people to finally accept you as a female, particularly as a female athlete? I don't think that lends itself to easy answers or hot-takes. They're pretty fundamental and knotty questions of identity. I can understand how a transgender athlete just blithely dismissed into a former gender category or told to go race in a third category could feel discriminated against - they'd have a point.

It's just a lot of grey. Grey, grey, grey. And people - on both sides - coming out and saying it's easy-peasy to sort all this out should think about it, really think about for, like, longer than a split-second. Once they do that they might see how an easy solution isn't readily available - but that's another uncomfortable fact I guess.

I enjoyed reading your post but I think a decision needs to be made one way or the other. It can't be fudged or postponed for another generation to deal with.

Sport, like society, needs some agreed upon rules. There are things that we just need to agree on, and I think biological females should take priority over trans athletes in women's competitions. Just my opinion. You can't start catering to the demands of a tiny tiny minority. In doing so you need to beware of the repercussions, the potential to abuse the system, as Navratilova quite rightly pointed out in her article about a hypothetical man swapping in and out of gender at the right times.

• Advertisement

I enjoyed them re-visiting Agassi's book especially considering I read it relatively recently. Although in a moment of clarity I realised Derval O'Rourke's voice has now become nails on a blackboard for me. Painful to listen to. Of course she was a hugely talented athlete and fair play to her, but just like with Eoin Reddan some voices just strike a bad nerve with me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

accidently deleted the pod from my iPhone, can someone kindly remind where I can find the link the get it back? I'm logged in on the Patreon website but don't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    accidently deleted the pod from my iPhone, can someone kindly remind where I can find the link the get it back? I'm logged in on the Patreon website but don't see it.

Search your emails for when you originally signed up. They sent you a unique link that you can add to your podcast app of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Search your emails for when you originally signed up. They sent you a unique link that you can add to your podcast app of choice.

Yeah this is your best bet but if you can't find it they will send you the code if you message them on Patreon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

You used to be able to get it on the Patreon app/website but they seem to have taken the option away, or it's well hidden now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

tomwaits48 wrote: »

Go to https://www.patreon.com/secondcaptains/overview and scroll down to a section called Audio RSS Link.

Well Monday's pod should be interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Well Monday's pod should be interesting!

I've checked for a bonus pod a few times already.

(There has beenno mention of one, I'm just eager to hear Ken's take!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

I wanna hear ken on about the ramos penalty ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ken's rant about the IRA on Friday was gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

Who said "John Delaney could run anything"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

CiaranW wrote: »
    Who said "John Delaney could run anything"

Dennis o’brien

Dots1982 wrote:
    Dennis o’brien

Thanks man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

CiaranW wrote: »
    Thanks man!

Certainly better than Sepp Blatter

Dots1982 wrote:
    Certainly better than Sepp Blatter

Off to see the Queen tomorrow too so don't forget that.

• Advertisement

Incredible ego, the real movie's on its way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Incredible ego, the real movie's on its way.

...with one or 2 expletives.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I know Ray Darcy gets a lot of abuse on this site, but he played a blinder in playing dumb and letting Delaney make a show of himself that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I know Ray Darcy gets a lot of abuse on this site, but he played a blinder in playing dumb and letting Delaney make a show of himself that day.

Yeah, he was "playing" dumb...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

Good stuff from Damien Delaney pointing out the failure of the midfielders to control the game further up the pitch.

Richie Sadlier, Stephen Kelly & Richard Dunne on RTE were put to shame by his analysis.

No wonder he left City under Caulfield.

Good stuff from Damien Delaney pointing out the failure of the midfielders to control the game further up the pitch.

Richie Sadlier, Stephen Kelly & Richard Dunne on RTE were put to shame by his analysis.

No wonder he left City under Caulfield.

While I agree that his analysis was quite good and I'd welcome him as a regular contributor, because he does know what he's talking about, but, janey mac, doesn't he have a whiny voice?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Thought it was funny when Eoin and Murph were trying to joke about Ken's clothes not being transported to Abbotstown and Ken just skimmed past it with disdain. Never change, Ken.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

While I agree that his analysis was quite good and I'd welcome him as a regular contributor, because he does know what he's talking about, but, janey mac, doesn't he have a whiny voice?

That would be the Cork accent alright boi

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Women's AFL

Skip...skip...skip...skip... skip...skip...skip...US Murph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Unless the show notes mention something of interest, I rarely listen to the US Murph ones. No real reason, mostly I'm just not that into US sports.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement