Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

themink wrote: »
    Anyone else finding Ken Early's voice a bit irritating? I have no problem with his regular speaking voice but he frequently breaks into this fake pseudo shouty voice on the podcast. Adds nothing & it would be much better if he cut this out i think. Apart from this I do like the show though

i've said it from the start, they need to sort out the volume with his voice. i used to listen to this with earphones, and would have to turn it up occasionally, only to be deafened by the shouting a few seconds later.

they're quite lucky with their timing. they started the football podcasts at the start of this season, and have the world cup to carry them on into the summer. i wonder would they cut back on them if it was a free summer, esp since they don't dare talk about the LOI?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,466 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

glued wrote: »
    Jesus Richie Sadlier is useless. Terrible to listen to

What? I disagree on this, I'm not much of a soccer person but I think he's great listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,596 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

i've said it from the start, they need to sort out the volume with his voice. i used to listen to this with earphones, and would have to turn it up occasionally, only to be deafened by the shouting a few seconds later.

I think there's a problem with the volume in general.

I have to turn it up to full volume so i can hear it in the car. Have to listen to the radio on my earphones in the gym, because i can't hear the lads over the piss poor half arsed Ibiza music they seem to think everyone wants to hear in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 themink

dulpit wrote: »
    What? I disagree on this, I'm not much of a soccer person but I think he's great listening.

I think Richie often sounds like a guy down the pub having a bit of a rant. Often starts asking Eoin/Ken questions which i don't think works. As a guest he shouldn't he be the one providing the expertise. The GAA contributors like Oisin McConville come across much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

themink wrote: »
    Anyone else finding Ken Early's voice a bit irritating? I have no problem with his regular speaking voice but he frequently breaks into this fake pseudo shouty voice on the podcast. Adds nothing & it would be much better if he cut this out i think. Apart from this I do like the show though

I like the voices Ken does when he quotes someone. Adds a comedic element to it, which I quite like.
    they're quite lucky with their timing. they started the football podcasts at the start of this season, and have the world cup to carry them on into the summer. i wonder would they cut back on them if it was a free summer, esp since they don't dare talk about the LOI?

Good point. Why do they never talk about League of Ireland? Perhaps they never watch it, but then they could bring someone in who does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Ah no, Murph is back on the football show.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ah Ken is brilliant, loved his line about Moyes a few weeks ago 'when he's in his bathroom winning the argument he should have had with Rio Ferdinand' or something along those lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

the last two shows with murph hosting has lots of background noises coming from someones computers, pretty rookie stuff. Sounds like gchat messagea and skype opening up. Come on guys turn off the computer sounds.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

adamski8 wrote: »
    the last two shows with murph hosting has lots of background noises coming from someones computers, pretty rookie stuff. Sounds like gchat messagea and skype opening up. Come on guys turn off the computer sounds.

To be fair, that happens a lot even when Murph isn't hosting.

I actually thought Murph did a very good job hosting the Football Show on Tuesday. Think it suited him a lot more to be hosting than trying to contribute to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    To be fair, that happens a lot even when Murph isn't hosting.

I actually thought Murph did a very good job hosting the Football Show on Tuesday. Think it suited him a lot more to be hosting than trying to contribute to it.

i agree, i was listening to it and thought ah shyte when he started off, but he was pretty good. didn't seem to cut in as much as eoin usually does. seemed to flow nicely.

• Advertisement

This was fierce annoying, but Murph was decent to be fair...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Was half tempted to leave todays football show when I heard Murph was filling in for Eoin,but he was surprisingly alright.His annoying Republic of Telly like sense of humour was definitely toned down too.

Think the football show (and Ken) are both just more suited to having two people contributing instead of three.Eoin/Ken and Murph/Ken are both grand,but it gets a bit messy when all three are involved and competing to get their voices heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

That's coming from the contributers comouters, was it Miguel Delaney on the line, he obviously has Facebook open, nothing the lads can do about that.

On another note....has anyone signed up to a KBC savings account or is that just an utter waste of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

soc160 wrote: »
    That's coming from the contributers comouters, was it Miguel Delaney on the line, he obviously has Facebook open, nothing the lads can do about that.

It wouldn't be too hard to ask all the contributors to mute their computers and phones before the interview starts.

Their audio issues do let them down too often.

Skid X wrote: »
    It wouldn't be too hard to ask all the contributors to mute their computers and phones before the interview starts.

Their audio issues does let them down too often.

Headsets would also solve the problem, and stop Miguel Delaney sounding like he's in a big empty kitchen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Skid X wrote: »

Their audio issues does let them down too often.

I don't get that. It's not live - so they have time to fix things by stopping and starting again, but even if the line is really awful they seem to just plough on regardless. It could just be down to not having a sound engineer, which they would have had on the radio show.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

dulpit wrote: »
    Headsets would also solve the problem, and stop Miguel Delaney sounding like he's in a big empty kitchen...
    Indeed. They should pay for headsets to the contributors.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭browne_rob5

Does anybody know the name of the song that plays at the start of US Murph's segment.

Thanks

Does anybody know the name of the song that plays at the start of US Murph's segment.

Thanks

LCD Soundsystem - All my Friends.

Cracking tune, great intro too...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I thought last nights football show was excellent - best one for ages. Good interview with that guy who wrote the book on penalty kicks, quality preview of the Champions League final and some good interplay between Eoin and Ken.

I thought the monkey chat just about overstayed it's welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Some really great episodes lately alright. The penalty interview was particularly interesting. I still hear the odd computer sound and it's not from miguel (he is actually my least favourite guest).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Love the new B-Hop jingle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Eoin and Murph will be hosting a weekly GAA show on Radio 1 at 6pm every Sunday from June 22nd according to Second Captains Twitter.

Ken's own radio 1 philosophy hour can't be far away now!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Eoin and Murph will be hosting a weekly GAA show on Radio 1 at 6pm every Sunday from June 22nd according to Second Captains Twitter.

Ken's own radio 1 philosophy hour can't be far away now!

Great news! The boys are burrowing their way in there as time goes by! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Hopefully they'll replace the Angelus with "Ken Early's Daily Musings"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

Congrats to them and delighted to see them back on radio but I think rugby is one of their more stronger topics and also, I feel there's already enough GAA coverage and analysis in the media

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

uggybear wrote: »
    Congrats to them and delighted to see them back on radio but I think rugby is one of their more stronger topics and also, I feel there's already enough GAA coverage and analysis in the media

Good news. Will be interesting to see how they will go down with much of Radio 1 listeners I.e. the 50+. But I assume that has been thought of and will be tailored to suit a wider audience than for there podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

uggybear wrote: »
    There was already a GAA show on at that time so they are just replacing that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,596 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Delighted to hear this.

The lads best work by miles is live radio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Delighted to hear this.

The lads best work by miles is live radio.

Got to agree with this. I still tune into the OTB show on Newstalk because it's live but I'd love an alternative. Hopefully this is a good omen. I can't see RTE ever airing a 2-3 hour nightly sports show though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement