Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

running a boiler dry

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭QBE

esox28 wrote: »
    You served your time doing maintance in a hoispital oh i c now. Do you think you know enough to be give advice on domestic installationa

I never worked for a hospital. when their tech turned the boiler over, it was the big boys fixed them. you got me now?

jimf wrote: »
    but when I leave it will be working aswell as some new boilers are fitted. got me?

you have arrived just in time to save the world from all the cowboy installers and yes i think ive got you

maybe not just cowboys, the gob****es aswell. you gou got me again?

and I respect your response. because iv got you to. meaning I know your on the ball, as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

QBE wrote: »
    I done a course called an apprenticeship. I spent 2 years stripping boilers and putting them back together in st ~~~~ hospital. I listened to the older lads and learned fast. I done every course offered to me. its called knowledge.

I worked until now for others. because I didn't think I knew enough. when the company you worked for since an apprentice. starts asking you how to solve things.

you understand that its time to be self employed. got me?

Do you know how vast the industrial industry is?

There is hundreds of different burners and steam boilers etc.

Working in one hospital doesn't cover even 5 percent of the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

@ esok28.

when you worked in the most dangerous industrial invoirnment in Ireland. an industrial gas company. you learn whats safty is about, I have more saty certs than plumbing ones. I know whats safe and whats not.

that's why I laugh sometimes about . the fear factor

And yet you dish out unsafe information on here, its the fear factor that keeps people alive and i suggest you have become complacent over the years and that sir is not a good tool to carry in your RGI tool bag.

@ esok28.

when you worked in the most dangerous industrial invoirnment in Ireland. an industrial gas company. you learn whats safty is about, I have more saty certs than plumbing ones. I know whats safe and whats not.

that's why I laugh sometimes about . the fear factor

I once removed a gas meter from a kitchen that was covered in putrified OAP that had fell against the meter after the opened flued boiler killed the OAP with CO , another time I got called to assist police as a body was found in a bath and they wanted the cause of death determined and the appliance made safe, it was a opened flued water heater above the bath that killed him, the body was still in the bath and dropping a screw wasn't a option:eek:.

I have more experiences but I won't go on. "the fear factor" is the most important thing to any tradesman dealing with things that can kill, the ease at which a life can be taken is frightening, look at that teenager who's life was taken because there was no screws in the flue.

Every service is a opportunity to confirm safe operation of a appliance, not all appliances are dangerous but every death I was witness to would have been prevented with something as simple as a service.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

and should also be trained to be honest . I called to see a protential client today.
    The rgi (I assume) as he quoted for installing a new condensing boiler, told the lady of the house to renew the heating system pipework and update the boiler. He was employed to clean the heating system, but found a leak.

He wants to renew the copper pipes with plastic (gob****e) and I had a look and the boilers fine. A few adjustments needed. Can I report him to rgi, Ill sort all this ladies problems out for less than 500/600e.

be safe be wise....should be the motto

Just read this thread, been with 14 apprentices for a few days (good lads)

How did you come the conclusion that the boiler just needed adjustment?
    Do you mean flow/return differentials and balancing?
    Or an issue with burner pressures etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

pa990 wrote: »
    What are the risks or dangers of running out of home heating oil (kero). Besides having to bleed it.

Will it damage the pump ?

apart from the obvious filters drawing in sludge etc it would not be good for the oil pump on the burner to be run dry regularly as its the oil that it gets its lubrication from

so yes it can damage the pump

Do you know how vast the industrial industry is?

There is hundreds of different burners and steam boilers etc.

Working in one hospital doesn't cover even 5 percent of the industry.

im not going to even answer that. what you think I done in the industry for the other 18 years. never a day unemployed in the sector.

You need any advice on that 5% or the other 95 %. kido you just ask me.

apart from the obvious filters drawing in sludge etc it would not be good for the oil pump on the burner to be run dry regularly as its the oil that it gets its lubrication from

if your oil pump constantly runs. you have a bigger issue than no oil. maybe the actuator or electrical fault. no oil , burner cuts out. if left unsed for a time lubrication can be an issue.

im not going to even answer that. what you think I done in the industry for the other 18 years. never a day unemployed in the sector.

You need any advice on that 5% or the other 95 %. kido you just ask me.

Ah that's fair enough I thought you meant you only worked 2 years on steam boilers and that while in hospital, good stuff.

• Advertisement

DGOBS wrote: »
    Just read this thread, been with 14 apprentices for a few days (good lads)

1. How did you come the conclusion that the boiler just needed adjustment?
    2. Do you mean flow/return differentials and balancing?
    3. Or an issue with burner pressures etc?

1. experience . that was confirmed with a couple of tests.
    2. yes.
    3. can be part of 2.

I think I answered every thing fired at me in the above. however @ billy & Gary71......maybe I have become complacent over the years. Maybe its also amalgamated with knowledge and experience leading to cockiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

I think I answered every thing fired at me in the above. however @ billy & Gary71......maybe I have become complacent over the years. Maybe its also amalgamated with knowledge and experience leading to cockiness.

If your gonna be self employee maybe you'd wanna take that cockiness back a step or 2 before some is killed

Dtp79 wrote: »
    If your gonna be self employee maybe you'd wanna take that cockiness back a step or 2 before some is killed

@dtp79. id say the majority could do with the knowledge and experience that probably lead to it.

No id never leave a job unsafe. guaranteed kido.

safty is applied to all my services.

The point im making is I don't just say . ah ye mrs you need a new boiler and a repipe. common every day saying. that needs to be replaced. no anything can be repaired, it depends on the cost factor.

I have seen good pumps , boilers, burners , showers ect. replaced over the years at great expense . when all that was required was a part with a value of less than €1. the industry is full of gob****es . if they don't know the full ins out outs of how things work. then replacement is the answer, safety is applied by getting rid.

you got me? is that what you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

@dtp79. id say the majority could do with the knowledge and experience that probably lead to it.

The point im making is I don't just say . ah ye mrs you need a new boiler and a repipe. common every day saying. that needs to be replaced. no anything can be repaired, it depends on the cost factor.

I have seen good pumps , boilers, burners , showers ect. replaced over the years at great expense . when all that was required was a part with a value of less than €1. the industry is full of gob****es . if they don't know the full ins out outs of how things work. then replacement is the answer, safety is applied by getting rid.

Please stop saying " you got me ?" in every post , its actually very annoying.

You got me ?

sullzz wrote: »
    Please stop saying " you got me ?" in every post , its actually very annoying.

You got me ?
    I got ye:D

just to add . theres an industry out there for repairs. my young lad 15 years old schoolboy makes a wage for himself out of it. (taxman might be onto him soon)

anyone that replaced a monsoon pump less than 8 years old . pm me ill buy it off you. same applies to oil burners. ill buy them also. pm anything like that ill buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

it's only ever run dry once, when someone relieved me of my heating oil while i was away for a few days (Ba$tárd$)
    Other than that its serviced yearly and i use dipetane

Whether or not dipetane is of any use i dunno, but at €30 for 5L, i use it all the same.

as i said previously, i'm gonna wait till late june or july until i fill her up again (900L tank) as hopeflly kero prices will be a a yearly low about then.

And if it runs out in the mean time so be it. I just didnt want to be causing damage to the pump.
    Although i do know of people that run their heating using emergency drums of kero, and they must be running their boiler dry on a weekly basis.. surely that cant be good.

if your oil pump constantly runs. you have a bigger issue than no oil. maybe the actuator or electrical fault. no oil , burner cuts out. if left unsed for a time lubrication can be an issue.

qbe you seem to jump in with answers that are totally off topic i simply advised not to allow his oil tank to empty on a regular basis as this will then mean his burner pump runs dry hence no lube the issue you refer to 95% of the time will be beyond the capabilities of the average diyer

qbe .. i simply advised not to allow his oil tank to empty on a regular basis as this will then mean his burner pump runs dry hence no lube the issue you refer to 95% of the time will be beyond the capabilities of the average diyer

no you stated "it can damage the pump" I simply stated other than an electrical fault . its highly unlikely. however left unused for a long period without fuel. (will cause your lube issue) .

the 95% can be the diyer and add to that the 80+ % in the industry

• Advertisement

its a sign of the times im afraid re 25l drums the amount of calls ive had this year with blocked filters etc have been way up on last year its ****s law if they had the money they would buy more oil so then they have to fork out to us to try and get them heat again i do really feel sorry for these people and charge as low as possible

but on the other hand its my living and i have to come first i have bills to pay as well

no you stated "it can damage the pump" I simply stated other than an electrical fault . its highly unlikely. however left unused for a long period without fuel. (will cause your lube issue) .

the 95% can be the diyer and add to that the 80+ % in the industry

im sure someday in the very distant future i just might see your point of view but not anytime soon are you really being serious when you say that somebody that lets their oil burner run dry on a regular basis are having no adverse effects on the oil pump of their oil burner

if you know the oil level of your car/van is low do you then wait until the oil light illuminates before you top up i dont think so but then again maybe you do

its a sign of the times im afraid re 25l drums the amount of calls ive had this year with blocked filters etc have been way up on last year its ****s law if they had the money they would buy more oil so then they have to fork out to us to try and get them heat again i do really feel sorry for these people and charge as low as possible

but on the other hand its my living and i have to come first i have bills to pay as well

they must be buying dirty fuel. because if they filled up there tank. this problem can occur regardless where you get the fuel.

back to basics .... clean tank, clean fuel = clean pipe line

im sure someday in the very distant future i just might see your point of view but not anytime soon are you really being serious when you say that somebody that lets their oil burner run dry on a regular basis are having no adverse effects on the oil pump of their oil burner

if you know the oil level of your car/van is low do you then wait until the oil light illuminates before you top up i dont think so but then again maybe you do

I never said on a regular basis. the op asked the dangers if he runs out of oil.

they must be buying dirty fuel. because if they filled up there tank. this problem can occur regardless where you get the fuel.

back to basics .... clean tank, clean fuel = clean pipe line

do you honestly think that these people are topping up with 25l drums and letting the oil settle for at least 1 hour before bleeding and firing up their boiler

I never said on a regular basis. the op asked the dangers if he runs out of oil.

your spot on there so you see i can agree with you but if you read my post again i advised if its done on a regular basis

do you honestly think that these people are topping up with 25l drums and letting the oil settle for at least 1 hour before bleeding and firing up their boiler

well that's basics. I thought that would be logic.

To cause (a liquid) to become clear by forming a sediment.

basic = leave to rest

This thread is giving me a headache.

This thread is giving me a headache.
    ill add to your headache. cos I just deleted last post my error

no pump is designed to run dry. but safty features design the appliance to stop and mitigate/prevent problems. cant stop dirt becoming a nuisance. but stops the pump from running dry. hense my answer.

NOW 2 PIPE SYSTEMS ARE DIFFERNT? IS THAT WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT JIMF?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

No I don't do that. But sometimes customers would rather buy a new efficient gas boiler rather than putting new parts on a 15 year old gas boiler

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement