Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Kreider, get in!!!!!! On to game 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

COYW wrote: »
    Kreider, get in!!!!!! On to game 5.

Kreider and Krug, two very similar stories from last years playoffs and this years. HUGE goal for the Rangers and an absolutely massive OT from Lundqvist. Without him there is no telling where this franchise might be. Looking forward to a Game 5 and the possibility of a Rangers win in Boston to derail the Bruins steamroller. Anything to get the Pens on a level playing-field when it comes to time off between series. :P

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Kreider and Krug, two very similar stories from last years playoffs and this years. HUGE goal for the Rangers and an absolutely massive OT from Lundqvist. Without him there is no telling where this franchise might be. Looking forward to a Game 5 and the possibility of a Rangers win in Boston to derail the Bruins steamroller. Anything to get the Pens on a level playing-field when it comes to time off between series. :P

Yeah, Lundqvist is top class, no denying that. God, I watched it back today, I still can't get over the first goal by Rask. It's like something you'd see in pee wee hockey.

It will interesting to see what the Sens bring to the ice tonight. I am expecting a backlash after that drubbing last time. Could be an interesting night. You need to get it done tonight and avoid a trip back to Ottawa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Yep, was just one of those nights, two terrible mistakes to give away two crucial goals. But Rask has saved us at numerous times this season, Chara hasn't had a great season by his standards, in my estimation anyway, but he's been a rock for so long he is entitled to the odd mistake, so gotta put it away and forget about it. Rangers hung in there when they needed to, but hopefully we can get it done tomorrow, I really don't fancy having to go back to Madison square garden again. This series could well turn pear shaped if we lose tomorrow night.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Yep, was just one of those nights, two terrible mistakes to give away two crucial goals. But Rask has saved us at numerous times this season, Chara hasn't had a great season by his standards, in my estimation anyway, but he's been a rock for so long he is entitled to the odd mistake, so gotta put it away and forget about it. Rangers hung in there when they needed to, but hopefully we can get it done tomorrow, I really don't fancy having to go back to Madison square garden again. This series could well turn pear shaped if we lose tomorrow night.

My feelings are right along the same lines. If we can manufacture a win tomorrow night, by some miracle of god, and get it back to MSG, the turnaround is on. Both of us need the Sens to win tonight. A rested Pens is going to be very hard to overcome.

• Advertisement

COYW wrote: »
    My feelings are right along the same lines. If we can manufacture a win tomorrow night, by some miracle of god, and get it back to MSG, the turnaround is on. Both of us need the Sens to win tonight. A rested Pens is going to be very hard to overcome.

The Penguins have a comfortable (is there such a thing?) 2-0 lead with a powerplay to come, and they're looking lightning sharp on the PP lately. Would be very surprised if this series lasts past tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

why doesn't setanta show don cherry's coaches corner between periods???

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/london-knights-max-domi-between-the-legs-saucer-pass-to-bo-horvat-at-2013-mastercard-memorial-cup/

did any of yis see this?

Crazy sick move from a junior hockey player!

sorry off topic a small bit but must see!

Izy wrote: »

They don't have the rights. NHL tonight is an improvement on what was on last year.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    The Penguins have a comfortable (is there such a thing?) 2-0 lead with a powerplay to come, and they're looking lightning sharp on the PP lately. Would be very surprised if this series lasts past tonight.

Comfy win for you. You will be cheering for Cally, Nash and the boys later tonight, i'm guessing. :D LGR!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

You actually want to listen to the ravings of a lunatic? Why? :eek:

He's even worse than listening to the likes of Glenn Healy and Nick Kypreos, and that's saying a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Nervous as hell about tonight's game but think it will be handshakes unfortunately. Hawks have been bad beyond words. The so called "core" should be ashamed along with the coaching staff. Babcock has got the better of Q on everything. Toews had shown his immaturity in this serious too with all his bitching and moaning.

Just after turning on the Bruins v Rangers now, fell asleep putting the little one to bed, looking tight according to Gamecentre. Anything out of the ordinary happening? Wanna close out this series tonight.

Lets go Bruins !!

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Well there we are. The Bruins stay on and the Rangers go home. Delighted to get it done tonight and not have to go back to Madison. Highlight of the series for me had to be Torey Krug, from playing for Providence in the AHL playoffs to travelling to the Eastern Conference finals, he was brilliant this series, and was a spark for so much of our good play. Hats off to the Rangers, they tried to come on in the third period tonight, just missed something I think, some of their big players didn't play this series really, but better luck next year.

On to Pittsburgh now, and I think this has the potential to be the best final in many years. I can't wait for this series, we gotta cut out some of the sloppy play, turnovers and silly penalties to get through from this. But after being 9 minutes and 3 goals from elimination, I gotta believe anything is possible.

Bring it on !!

Well there we are. The Bruins stay on and the Rangers go home. Delighted to get it done tonight and not have to go back to Madison. Highlight of the series for me had to be Torey Krug, from playing for Providence in the AHL playoffs to travelling to the Eastern Conference finals, he was brilliant this series, and was a spark for so much of our good play. Hats off to the Rangers, they tried to come on in the third period tonight, just missed something I think, some of their big players didn't play this series really, but better luck next year.

On to Pittsburgh now, and I think this has the potential to be the best final in many years. I can't wait for this series, we gotta cut out some of the sloppy play, turnovers and silly penalties to get through from this. But after being 9 minutes and 3 goals from elimination, I gotta believe anything is possible.

Bring it on !!

This really could be a classic Eastern Final. Cannot wait for it. Backed both teams at the start of the Playoffs so I'm guaranteed one small monetary interest in the SC finals regardless, but obviously hoping for the Pens.

Watching Chicago leading Detroit (or Detroy-it) as the commentators seem to insist upon, Hawks lead 1-0 and could possibly extend it to a 6 or 7 game series. Looking like the East could possibly finish a little bit in advance of the West, although the Bruins-Penguins series could flip that right on its head.

Whilst I loved the Canucks Bruins series two years ago, this year has captivated my imagination a lot more. Don't know what it is, but I just feel like the teams are a lot more storied and experienced. Potentially looking like the last four will all have won the cup in the last five years, must be unprecedented.

mod9maple wrote: »
    You actually want to listen to the ravings of a lunatic? Why? :eek:

He's even worse than listening to the likes of Glenn Healy and Nick Kypreos, and that's saying a lot!

Helps to stay awake :-)

I read this review on the NHL website, was interesting reading regarding the recent meetings between the Bruins and the Penguins.

"The Pittsburgh Penguins certainly don't mind meeting the Boston Bruins in the Eastern Conference Final.

Not only does Pittsburgh have a perfect record against Boston this season -- 3-0-0, outscoring the Bruins 8-5 in three one-goal victories --but the Penguins have won the past six regular-season meetings between the two clubs and have won six straight games in Boston.

Just as attractively, the Penguins have beaten the Bruins the past two times these teams have met at this hurdle, advancing to win the Stanley Cup each time.

The Penguins beat the Bruins in the 1991 Wales Conference Finals on the way to winning the Stanley Cup, then did it again the following year on the way to repeating as champions.

Certainly, Pittsburgh would like to make it a trifecta of Stanley Cup Playoffs semifinal wins and advance to the Stanley Cup Final for the first time since winning the tournament in 2009. The Bruins, however, have other ideas and are looking to get back to the Final for the second time in three years. Boston defeated the Vancouver Canucks to win the Stanley Cup in 2011.

Both teams advanced past the second round with relative ease after being pushed harder in the first round.

The Penguins, the top-seeded team in the East, knocked off the seventh-seeded Ottawa Senators in five games, outscoring their opponents 22-11 in a dominant showing. Ottawa's only win, in Game 3, came in double overtime.

Fourth-seeded Boston, meanwhile, dispatched the sixth-seeded New York Rangers in five games. New York's only win came in a sweep-avoiding overtime performance in Game 4.

If current playoff form is any indication, there should be a fair amount of offense in this series.

The top six scorers in the postseason are involved in the series, led by Boston center David Krejci, who has a League-best 17 points. Teammate Nathan Horton has a dozen points and is in a fifth-place tie. The other four spots are occupied by Penguins -- forward Evgeni Malkin and defenseman Kris Letang each has 16 points, while Sidney Crosby has 15 and Jarome Iginla has 12.

But, both teams also feature stout defenses and hot goalies.

Pittsburgh is only allowing 2.5 goals per game and has been even stingier since Tomas Vokoun seized the starting job from a struggling Marc-Andre Fleury in Round 1. Boston has allowed 28 goals in a dozen outings and Tuukka Rask has a sterling .928 save percentage."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

It's going to be 'interesting' in our household this week, my girlfriend is a mad Bruins fan, where as I support the Pens ......

might be some strong silences going on ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

The Western Conference Semi-Finals have gotten very interesting. Both Los Angeles and Detroit appeared to be walking away with their series. San Jose and Chicago have both battled back to make it a seven game series.

I had a basement full of people who all 'happened to be in the neighborhood' last night before the puck dropped in the Chicago/Detroit game. Let's just say that there was some nail biting at the end of the second period. The Blackhawks did not disappoint scoring three third period goals (one nice penalty shot as well) to bring the series back to Chicago for a Game Seven.

I may have to take Thursday and Friday off depending on how this next game goes on Wednesday night.

I may have to take Thursday and Friday off depending on how this next game goes on Wednesday night.

It's only the conference semis... :D

Can't wait for the Pens v Bruins to start, hopefully friday night (not working till later on saturday :) )

Would't mind a Pens v Red Wings final again...

• Advertisement

Pens and Blackhawks would be the "fairest" final, if there is such a thing, given their respective dominance of the shortened regular season and the two streaks they put together. But I'd be happy for the Pens to face any of the four remaining Eastern teams, should they overcome the Bruins. Looking forward to two Game 7's in two nights, just need to try and strategically sleep around them... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Well the first Bruins V Pens game is on saturday at 1AM. Me and the girlfriend are at a fancy dress party till 12. So it will be dash back, don our respective teams jerseys and watch the fireworks begin. (hopefully the fireworks will be confined to america and not our house!) :p

Well the first Bruins V Pens game is on saturday at 1AM. Me and the girlfriend are at a fancy dress party till 12. So it will be dash back, don our respective teams jerseys and watch the fireworks begin. (hopefully the fireworks will be confined to america and not our house!) :p

All the games seem to be scheduled for 1am. Going to be a looooong few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Torts has been relieved of coaching duties! I'll miss his hilarious post-match interviews.

robby^5 wrote: »
    Torts has been relieved of coaching duties! I'll miss his hilarious post-match interviews.

He'll get a job elsewhere if he wants one, I'm sure. But his time at the Rangers had definitely run its course.

Yeah I think everyone saw that one coming. I didn't really like him, but he was entertaining at times, best of luck to him, I'm sure he won't be long out of a job.

Yeah I think everyone saw that one coming. I didn't really like him, but he was entertaining at times, best of luck to him, I'm sure he won't be long out of a job.

Yes, he is gone and I am not happy about it. Official mail was sent to Rangers fans just there.

Torts gone.

Last season, Torts brought us to the top of the conference in the regular season and to the brink of the Stanley Cup finals. This season we made the post season again. I think he deserved one more year. Now that he has gone, I hope someone like Guy Boucher comes in. Sather has made him the scapegoat for his mess, i.e re-tooling the whole roster on ridiculous contracts. It hasn't gone to plan this year, so he lays the blame on Tort's lap.

People are complaining about our PP and saying that is enough reason for him to go alone. Firstly, he didn't coach the PP, Mike Sullivan did and secondly, what do people want the man to do, get onto the ice and shoot the puck for them? He can't make the likes of Brad Richards play, when it is clear that Richards preferred that the lockout lasted for the whole of this season, so he could play golf. Also, he can't give MDZ a brain, which he is clearly missing if you look at some of his "passes" against Boston.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭alanmcl12

Wow what a dreadful call to wave off that goal,
    off setting minors on that, every reason for Hawks fans to be upset if they don't win in OT

Here's a video of it http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=pipe42/latest/1/0/936874/clip/0#pipe42/latest

alanmcl12 wrote: »
    Wow what a dreadful call to wave off that goal,
    off setting minors on that, every reason for Hawks fans to be upset if they don't win in OT

Here's a video of it http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=pipe42/latest/1/0/936874/clip/0#pipe42/latest

One of the worst calls that I can remember in a Game Seven. Not only the fact that they waved off the goal, but the co-incidental minor penalties assessed. What did Saad get penalized for ? Hitting the ice ? As far as I am concerned, that was as gutless as you get. If you're the back referee (and you aren't paying attention to the actual play) and decide to stop play, you had better be prepared to award a Power Play to one of the teams.

• Advertisement

It's only the conference semis... :D

Can't wait for the Pens v Bruins to start, hopefully friday night (not working till later on saturday :) )

Would't mind a Pens v Red Wings final again...

When you come back from a 3-1 series deficit, you need all the rest you can get !!

Looks like the NHL is going to rush the Western Conference series forward as quickly as possible. They will open in the United Center on Saturday afternoon and then Sunday evening (I guess the Rolling Stones will need their beauty sleep).

As for who is going to be playing in the SCF. I wouldn't be counting my chickens too quickly. Anything can happen in the playoffs. Sit back and take it one game at a time.

Advertisement