Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Options
  • 29-04-2013 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭

It's here! It's here! It's finally here!

16 remain, 1 will win. I'm going with a pick that's a little off the wall, Washington to beat St. Louis in the Finals.

1st Round
    Chicago vs Minnesota - (Chicago in 4)
    Anaheim vs Detroit - (Detroit in 7)
    Vancouver vs San Jose - (Vancouver in 6)
    St. Louis vs LA - (St. Louis in 6)

Pittsburgh vs Islanders - (Pittsburgh in 5)
    Montreal vs Ottawa - (Montreal in 7)
    Washington vs Rangers - (Washington in 5)
    Boston vs Toronto - (Toronto in 7)

Which leaves a second round of (my selections bolded):
    Chicago - Detroit
    Vancouver - St. Louis

Pittsburgh - Toronto
    Montreal - Washington

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

tolosenc wrote: »
    It's here! It's here! It's finally here!

16 remain, 1 will win. I'm going with a pick that's a little off the wall, Washington to beat St. Louis in the Finals.

Thoughts?

I am going for the following in the 1st round:

1st Round
    Chicago vs Minnesota - (Chicago in 5)
    Anaheim vs Detroit - (Anaheim in 6)
    Vancouver vs San Jose - (Vancouver in 5)
    St. Louis vs LA - (Blues in 6)

Pittsburgh vs Islanders - (Pittsburgh in 6)
    Washington vs Rangers - (Rangers in 5) (I'm seriously confidence about this; we are playing really good hockey lately. :cool:)
    Boston vs Toronto - (Toronto in 6)

Overall, it's hard to look past the Pens in the East. MrJoeSoap will probably be able to tell us better but I believe the Islanders are a bit of a bogey team for them. I still expect the Pens to progress. I will go for a Pens V Anaheim final. I think Anaheim can beat Chicago over 7 games, just.

As a Ranger, I think we will get by the Caps and the winner of the Habs v Sens clash but that'll be it. I just can't see us beating the Pens over a series. LGR!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭cena

I really can't see my ducks going pass the red wings. I do hope they do and maybe face the rangers that I would like

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

COYW wrote: »
    I am going for the following in the 1st round:

1st Round
    Vancouver vs San Jose - (Vancouver in 5)
    St. Louis vs LA - (Blues in 6)

Washington vs Rangers - (Rangers in 5) (I'm seriously confidence about this; we are playing really good hockey lately. :cool:)

Overall, it's hard to look past the Pens in the East. MrJoeSoap will probably be able to tell us better but I believe the Islanders are a bit of a bogey team for them. I still expect the Pens to progress. I will go for a Pens V Anaheim final. I think Anaheim can beat Chicago over 7 games, just.

As a Ranger, I think we will get by the Caps and the winner of the Habs v Sens clash but that'll be it. I just can't see us beating the Pens over a series. LGR!!!

I wouldn't go so far as to say the Isle's are a bogey team, but I'm not as confident as I possibly could be going into that series. The regular season series saw the Penguins win 4 out of 5, but there were some moments that worried me. And the Isles single victory was a washout even with the Penguins at full-strength. That said, the "full-strength" in January vs that of today is a completely different animal, and the recent acquisitions have been firing on all cylinders lately. I can't wait to see the likes of Morrow, Iginla and Jokinen in a playoff series.

I've done quite a bit of statistical research into the playoffs (since the 04-05 lockout) today. Some findings that may be of interest to some:
    • Of the seven Presidents Trophy winners, only two have reached the Stanley Cup Finals. The only Stanley Cup winners were Detroit in 2007/2008.
    • Four of the seven Presidents Trophy winners have been beaten in the Conference Quarter-Finals
    • All seven non-Presidents Trophy winning teams who won the opposite conference have won in their quarter-final matchup.
    • However, none of the seven above teams have made the Stanley Cup Finals
    • Only two of the fourteen teams to have won their conference have won the Stanley Cup
    • The last seven winners have been well spread, four from the West and three from the East.
    • The average regular season finishing position (conference) is 3.14. People who like the number Pi might enjoy this stat.
    • Five of the last seven winners, also won their division that season.
    • Both Chicago and Pittsburgh (both 75%) have a far greater win percentage this season than any teams from the previous seven seasons. Detroit in 2005-2006 had a regular season winning percentage of 70.73%
    • Chicago have a points-per-game record of 1.60 this season, well above the previous highest of 1.51 set by Detroit in 05-06. The Penguins have a 1.50 average.
    • The last seven teams to have won the Stanley Cup have been ranked 8-3-2-4-1-2-2 in their respective conferences.
    • Their opponents have been ranked 6-1-7-2-2-4-8 in the respective opposing conferences.

And if I'm to put my arse on the bacon-slicer, my predictions are:

Anaheim vs Detroit - (Anaheim in 5)
    Vancouver vs San Jose - (San Jose in 6)
    St. Louis vs LA - (St. Louis in 6)

Pittsburgh vs Islanders - (Pittsburgh in 7)
    Montreal vs Ottawa - (Montreal in 5)
    Washington vs Rangers - (Washington in 5)
    Boston vs Toronto - (Boston in 6)

Maybe if a few more get their predictions in before tomorrow night, we can have a mini predictions league?

(And finally, let it be said now that I will be posting like a lunatic on this thread over the next month and a half. Would be great if lots of others would join me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Here we go!

1st Round
    Chicago vs Minnesota - (Chicago in 6)
    Anaheim vs Detroit - (Anaheim in 7)
    Vancouver vs San Jose - (San Jose in 5)
    St. Louis vs LA - (St. Louis in 5)

Pittsburgh vs Islanders - (Pittsburgh in 5)
    Montreal vs Ottawa - (Montreal in 4)
    Washington vs Rangers - (Washington in 7)
    Boston vs Toronto - (Boston in 5)

2nd Round
    Chicago vs Anaheim
    San Jose vs St. Louis

Pittsburgh vs Montreal
    Washington vs Boston

Full Disclosure, I'm a long time Penguins fan with a soft spot for Blackhawks and Bruins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

Vancouver vs San Jose - (Vancouver in 7)
    St. Louis vs LA - (LA in 6)

Montreal vs Ottawa - (Montreal in 6)
    Washington vs Rangers - (Washington in 7)

heading out to vancouver tomorrow so no 4 and 5 o clock mornings this year for me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Wild going to shock the world :p

Masked Man wrote: »
    Wild going to shock the world :p

Stuck a free €5 bet on them at 40/1 for the craic. It was an 8th seed Western team that won last year, after all. ;)

Also threw two small bets on the Penguins (7/2) and Bruins (9/1).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I can't wait for the absolute meltdown that would happen in Chicago should Minny actually win tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

anyone growing a playoffs beard :D ???

i did it the year the penguins got to the final in 08 but when they lost it to the wings I thought it brings them bad luck and then sure they won it the next year :eek:

no beard growing since and all sort of bad luck for the team in the playoffs :rolleyes:

lot of sleepless nights ahead!!!

Last years MVP made some balls of a play to hand the Blues a win. brilliant atmosphere in St.Louis for the game...

i personally think the Pens will beat the isles handy, new to the playoffs in recent years they wont know what hit them... same happens for most new teams.

My heart says Pens all the way!!!

• Advertisement

Izy wrote: »
    anyone growing a playoffs beard :D ???

i did it the year the penguins got to the final in 08 but when they lost it to the wings I thought it brings them bad luck and then sure they won it the next year :eek:

no beard growing since and all sort of bad luck for the team in the playoffs :rolleyes:

lot of sleepless nights ahead!!!

Last years MVP made some balls of a play to hand the Blues a win. brilliant atmosphere in St.Louis for the game...

i personally think the Pens will beat the isles handy, new to the playoffs in recent years they wont know what hit them... same happens for most new teams.

My heart says Pens all the way!!!

Plan is to shave tonight, and probably not again till at least Monday (yay bank holidays!), so maybe! Any time I watched a game this year, if it was live, we lost, if was recorded and I wore my jersey we lost, so I'll be doing neither of those!

Have Chrome Nanny set up to block me from as much hockey related content as possible tomorrow.

No sleepless nights for me, plus with this being exam season, that's not a bad thing!

Quick was excellent except for that though. It's going to be tough for LA to score this series, so he'll need to be super human again.

Pens should win handy enough alright. Pens and Caps are the two best teams in the East, and would make for an interesting Conference final! Ovi vs Sid!

Canucks need to make a statement tonight, but if we are to go all the way, Schneider will be MVP (if he plays like he did before he was sick and his hometown got blown up, he'll steal us at least 1 round).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Blackhawks v wild (Wild in 6)
    Ducks v Red Wings (Ducks in 7)
    Canucks v Sharks (Canucks in 6)
    Blues v Kings (Blues in 5)

Penguins v Islanders (Islanders in 7)
    Canadians v Senators (Senators in 6)
    Capitals v Rangers (Capitals in 7)
    Bruins v Leafs (Bruins in 6)

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Minnesota really gave Chicago a run for their money in Game 1- I was pleasantly surprised. Here's hoping for a victory in Game 2!
    Looks like Backstrom is out again for game 2 after injuring himself in Game 1 warmup (the mysterious lower body injury), hope Harding can keep playing well despite not seeing much action this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Leafs sucked against the Bruins last night, can't believe anyone thought they could win the series. Based on last night, they will be lucky to lose in 5.

Montreal V Sens on now, I have high hopes that this will be the best series of the first round.

Watching the Rangers @ Caps.

Caps started off really strongly and dominated most of the period with Hank in great form. Ovie has been really good for them. We came into the game more towards the end of the period and Hags got one, deflection off a Cap. So its 1-0 at the end of the 1st.

Really disappointed with the officials in this one. Some crazy penalty decisions against us. I never knew that exposing your back to a cross check was a penalty! Anyway, we out shot them 9-17, despite being on the PK for god knows how long. They are 3-1 up now. The official should get an assist for the last one.

tolosenc wrote: »
    Plan is to shave tonight, and probably not again till at least Monday (yay bank holidays!), so maybe! Any time I watched a game this year, if it was live, we lost, if was recorded and I wore my jersey we lost, so I'll be doing neither of those!

I wore the goddamn jersey!

Lose tonight and we'll get swept, I think. Sharks are too good at home.

At this stage, he's had more comebacks than Madonna!

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    At this stage, he's had more comebacks than Madonna!

:D

Watching my recording of the Sens @ Habs. Good game so far. Sens 1 up in the first.

Wow, just seen the knock that Eller took. What did people make of it? For me, he had the puck and was there to hit. I do not think that Gryba went in with the intent of targeting his head. Wouldn't have given him the game myself. The pass was the absolute definition of a hospital pass.

:D

Watching my recording of the Sens @ Habs. Good game so far. Sens 1 up in the first.

Wow, just seen the knock that Eller took. What did people make of it? For me, he had the puck and was there to hit. I do not think that Gryba went in with the intent of targeting his head. Wouldn't have given him the game myself. The pass was the absolute definition of a hospital pass.

I agree with the panelists and Kerry Fraser here:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dublinproud

After i just finished watching game one from last night...roll on tonight!

Really hope Price stinks the place out and Anderson stands on his head again!

Hope Eller is ok..facial and dental fractures,loss of consciousness...Yikes!

anyone know where I can get playoff games

cena wrote: »
    anyone know where I can get playoff games

Setanta are showing the Sens @ Habs at midnight. The Rangers @ Caps is on at 5.30 tomorrow.

Setanta are showing the Sens @ Habs at midnight. The Rangers @ Caps is on at 5.30 tomorrow.

more online i'm looking for. I don't have that channel

well guys, the KID is back!!!

WITH A BANG!!!

well guys, the KID is back!!!

WITH A BANG!!!

He sure knows how to make a comeback. P3 is nervy though...

I see Sid got two goals but the Islanders came back and got the win. Sets the series up nicely with the next two in Long Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭lavine7

Fantastic win for SJ Sharks, well worth the late night/early morning!
    Game 3 is pivotal though, lose that and momentum swings back to the Canucks.

Dorsett and Boyle back in for Krieder and Newbury for the Rangers. Good call, we need size and experience. Oh and less penalties. LGR!!

• Advertisement

Dorsett and Boyle back in for Krieder and Newbury for the Rangers. Good call, we need size and experience. Oh and less penalties. LGR!!

Dorsett with an idiotic penalty. :P

Advertisement