Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakthrough Player of the Year?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Should breakthrough season be defined by something like having a minimum of 10 starts for the season. Jusy suggesting.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭phog

Tommy O'Donnell
    Surely Dave Kilcoyne is the breakthrough player ofthe year. He was an academy player for Munster last season and is now a certain starter for Munster and picked up a few International caps as well.

I wouldn't have Madigan and TOD on the breakthrough list at all, Madigan's breakthrough season was last season if not the year before and TOD is around a while just wasn't getting enough gametime to see his value.

Henderson would be a tight call with Kilcoyne but I think Dave tips it as a prop usually takes longer to develop and he's shown he's immense in the scrum and in the loose. Both got chances at international caps through injuries or suspensions and both delivered.

The others are really runners up to either Henderson and Kilcoyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Stuart Olding
    There have been a few good breakthrough. Iain Henderson, Dave Kilcoyne, Robbie Henshaw and Stuart Olding would be the four obvious ones IMO. Given they've been capped I'd say it's between Henderson and Kilcoyne. I've seen more of Hendo, although I've been impressed with what I've seen of Killer. Just for his tackle on Parisse in the 6Ns, his break against Saracens and his offload to Bowe against Connacht I'm going for Henderson for those champagne moments.

In saying that if, as I expect, Henshaw and Olding get capped in the summer then that will strengthen their claims.

Finally it's already been said but the poll is kind of ruined by the inclusion of Madigan whose breakthrough year was surely last season! Anyway it's the OP's thread and poll and Madigan has had an excellent season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Stuart Olding
    Along with a lot of other people here, don't understand why Madigan or TOD were included in the list. Granted they have both had excellent years but neither are in their breakthrough year.

Voted for Henderson. He has looked comfortable at every level he was asked to play at this year.
    Second choice would have been Henshaw. For a guy so young who was in school last year to be playing so much rugby I think has been pretty phenomenal. Kilcoyne has also had a great season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Has to be Henderson. Ulster are facing the very real prospect of losing Stephen Ferris and nobody's particularly worried because Henderson's come through. He's been ramped up through the development stages this year and has looked completely at home at each one, and he still looks like a twelve-year old kid Photoshopped their head onto a rugby player's body. Kilcoyne has pushed past Court to get his hands on an Irish jersey, but Henderson's getting game time in the row and at six, where we have enough strength in depth to stock a whole league.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Stuart Olding
    Has to be Hendo, 20's to to Ireland caps in a season. Also been huge for Ulster.

Other standouts Marmian who has started every game this year, Killer and Henshaw. This wasn't Madigans breakout year, he was great last year but he did massively step up in Sextons absence.

Stuart Olding
    Henderson by a country mile

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Stuart Olding
    he still looks like a twelve-year old kid Photoshopped their head onto a rugby player's body..

Henderson is a freak. He looks about as graceful as a day old calf while running and still manages to leave players for dead. He tops this list for me, but I have a feeling we'll be talking about next year as his breakthrough year too, but at another level.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Tommy O'Donnell
    I voted Kilcoyne, as I had heard little or nothing about him up to this season (apart from the B&I final last year).

To go from anonymity to a starter in a HC semi final and to be capped by Ireland tops any achievement by the others IMO.

Not saying he's better or will have a longer legacy, just think he's come from farther back then any of the others.

Everyone knew the potential was there for Madigan, Henderson and TOD. They have been exceptional in their own rights this year, but the mark of a true breakout player, for me is the element of coming out of nowhere.

That's just my take on it, but overall its fantastic to be talking about the strength of Irish talent coming through in so many positions.

Kilcoyne in the front row. Henderson at lock/backrow. TOD at Flanker. Marmion at 9, Madigan at 10, Henshaw at 15.

All going well, they have huge futures ahead of them.

Hope we have a similar thread 12 months from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Tommy O'Donnell
    decisions wrote: »
    Has to be Hendo, 20's to to Ireland caps in a season. Also been huge for Ulster.

Other standouts Marmian who has started every game this year, Killer and Henshaw. This wasn't Madigans breakout year, he was great last year but he did massively step up in Sextons absence.

What pushed me towards Kilcoyne over Hendo is:

1. Cian excepted, it's a lot easier to make spectacular breaks as a loose forward/second row than for the heavy lifters.

2. There are always good loose forwards coming through the ranks in Ireland. To alter that old song a little bit, a good prop is hard to find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Stuart Olding
    Feel Madigan with over 70 games for Leinster is hardly his breakthrough year.

Stuart Olding
    So who are the 64 people who voted for Madigan as breakthrough player of the year?!

Stuart Olding
    bilston wrote: »
    So who are the 64 people who voted for Madigan as breakthrough player of the year?!
    abitofacomedian, almighty1, ambid, andrewdcs, andyman, arodabomb, artvandelay48, Benny Cake, case885, CdeP, CGD, Chavways, Coburger, colman1212, Conchir, corkladd, cunavalos, Dave_The_Sheep, davidpfitz, Deank, Dero, dougal, Dunjuan, efb, EmacB, FishorSeal, Foxtrol, gingernut125, Irlandczyk, jimjamcos, John83, ktulu123, learningtime, lologram, lotmc, matthew8, mc3ac, McCalvin, minitrue, Nemesis, niallfitz, Nimrod 7, pc7, phili_g, phily2002, Phonehead, Principal Skinner, Pudsy33, puntosporting, RedorDead, redzerologhlen, SebBerkovich, Sideshow Mark, Sundy, sydthebeat, Theta, TheVoodoo, the_one_&_only, Thud, tolosenc, tomred1, urajoke, wicklowwonder, Yamanoto

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=23940

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Stuart Olding
    Lot of names I don't recognize on the list if votes for Madigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Dave Kilcoyne
    For some reason I thought Henderson was getting starts last year, so I voted for Jordi.. but now I've realized Henderson only broke onto the scene in the last U20 season! Still mad to think that 12 months ago he was a complete unknown to the average fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Stuart Olding
    decisions wrote: »
    Lot of names I don't recognize on the list if votes for Madigan.

Lots of names on the poll the people you don't recognise didn't recognise, if you know what I mean :)

Stuart Olding
    .ak wrote: »
    For some reason I thought Henderson was getting starts last year, so I voted for Jordi.. but now I've realized Henderson only broke onto the scene in the last U20 season! Still mad to think that 12 months ago he was a complete unknown to the average fan.

Do you reckon Jordi Murphy might be an option for the North America tour? A back row of POM, Henry and Murphy might be a possibility with Henderson in the row. Or would you put POM at 8 with Ruddock or Ryan at 6. I suppose Henry could go to 8 and TOD could play 7 as well. Loads of options anyway.

Dave Kilcoyne
    Do you reckon Jordi Murphy might be an option for the North America tour? A back row of POM, Henry and Murphy might be a possibility with Henderson in the row. Or would you put POM at 8 with Ruddock or Ryan at 6. I suppose Henry could go to 8 and TOD could play 7 as well. Loads of options anyway.

I had Murphy pegged for North America a while back. I'd love to see him at the base with Henry and POM as flankers. Absolute wrecking ball of a backrow. I'd probably have one of the other Leinster backrows on the bench, or TOD, as they can cover both sides fairly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Tommy O'Donnell

Hard to know with only 2 games scheduled. If you look at the back-rows available and then consider the Emerging tour as well:

Locky
    Ruddock
    Ryan
    Murphy
    POM
    TOD
    Coughlan
    Henry

I've left out the likes of Jenno and Muldoon because of their age but we might need to take a look at them too. What about McCombish? And who else am I forgetting?

Dave Kilcoyne
    molloyjh wrote: »
    Hard to know with only 2 games scheduled. If you look at the back-rows available and then consider the Emerging tour as well:

Locky
    Ruddock
    Ryan
    Murphy
    POM
    TOD
    Coughlan
    Henry

I've left out the likes of Jenno and Muldoon because of their age but we might need to take a look at them too. What about McCombish? And who else am I forgetting?

Diack maybe?

• Advertisement

Tommy O'Donnell
    .ak wrote: »
    Diack maybe?

So we have:

Blindsides:
    Locky
    Ruddock
    POM

Opensides:
    Ryan
    TOD
    Henry

Number 8s:
    Murphy
    Coughlan
    Diack

Obviously a few of those can play across the back row but its the handiest split of resources. Surely we'll only be taking 2 per spot max?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭gerardk55

Tommy O'Donnell
    Have to agree with Phog, Kilcoyne is the breakthrough player of the year IMO, homegrown academy talent, in a position where we've looked abroad to fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Stuart Olding

Locky
    Ruddock
    Ryan
    Murphy
    POM
    TOD
    Coughlan
    Henry

Diack, Copeland,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Kieran Marmion
    McKeon has been brilliant. But he plays for Connacht so. . .

Tommy O'Donnell
    Anyway, as for who the breakthrough player is surely Kilcoyne has to get it. Came from pretty much nowhere at the start of the season to being a genuine international option by the end of it. If that isn't the definition of breakthrough I don't know what is. The other lads have all had great years, but they've been building up towards where they are and are still on that upward curve. None of them have seen a rise like Kilcoynes though.

Stuart Olding
    So we have:

Blindsides:
    Locky
    Ruddock
    POM

Opensides:
    Ryan
    TOD
    Henry

Number 8s:
    Murphy
    Coughlan
    Diack

Obviously a few of those can play across the back row but its the handiest split of resources. Surely we'll only be taking 2 per spot max?

At most 2 per spot because Henderson can obviously cover 6 as well.

I don't think we need to bring 30 players to the US/Canada anyway because there are only two games and it would be a bit of a waste to just give everyone one start. I can see why you might give Best a game and Strauss a game and maybe the same with Madigan and Jackson and Henry and O'Donnell etc, but I think we're better off with bringing 24 or 25 players and trying to keep things as settled as possible. I'm not sure if the games are on the East or West coast but if they are East coast (actually is the US game in Chicago so more East than West anyway) then it won't be the end of the world if we have to fly injury cover out after the US game as an 8 hour flight is easily do-able with a game 5 or 6 days later. It will also keep the squad for Georgia a bit stronger.

Edit - apologies for going slightly off topic, but hopefully many of those breakthrough players will be involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Kieran Marmion
    I really can't look past Henshaw.

Connacht Player of the Year 2013, in his first year in the academy and having only done his Leaving Cert last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Tommy O'Donnell
    I went for Kilcoyne partly because the front row guys never get the credit they are due. The forwards do all the hard work only for all those flashy backs to take all the credit :P.

Nearly went for Henderson though as he has really impressed me this year!

Like other posters have said who is voting TOD and Madigan they have both been knocking around for a couple of seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Stuart Olding

Locky
    Ruddock
    Ryan
    Murphy
    POM
    TOD
    Coughlan
    Henry

Browne, Faloon and McKeon have been very consisent this year for Connacht, I nderstand people who don't see them week in overlook them but McKeon especially deserves be on plane to Georgia- had a storming season for us

Edit: I voted for Henderson, he been immense when iv seen him for Ulster or Ireland. Marimon is defo a future scrum half for ireland, sh was such an achilis heel last year for connacht, really filled the void. Don't understand why Madigan was even an option tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Stuart Olding

Your ignore list much be enormous at this stage

Advertisement