Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakthrough Player of the Year?

Options
  • 29-04-2013 7:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭

Decided to do this now, not much between now will really change your answer.

Picked two players from each province who have stepped up to become potential Ireland caps in the next 12 months if they do not already have a cap.

Connacht
    Robbie Henshaw
    Kieran Marmion

Leinster
    Ian Madigan
    Jordi Murphy

Munster
    Dave Kilcoyne
    Tommy O'Donnell

Ulster
    Iain Henderson
    Stuart Olding

Who is your breakthrough player of the year? 329 votes

Robbie Henshaw
    0%
    Kieran Marmion
    6%
    tommycahirrrpcpeterakoCrash Bang WallInspector Coptoorthomond2006freynersculchienatorsiltirockerblackhoundExiled2NYdastardly00LapinHears6ormond ladAngeGalmacslashIrish94Funk ItAnynama141 21 votes
    Ian Madigan
    3%
    Robboconnemara manBeardySiZzippybamboozlemerchantdonHankScorpio1985hogandrewcityman 18testtech05swiftmanSimmerDean 12 votes
    Jordi Murphy
    36%
    NemesisTrojanPaulwdreginBrian CivilEngdougalpuntosportingSundyefbjkb_dubDeroThetaNooptiandymanRedorDeadPhoneheadmelekalikimakaTristramDavei141faigs 119 votes
    Dave Kilcoyne
    1%
    .akthebazTimothy BryceBridge93Bogota 5 votes
    Tommy O'Donnell
    8%
    Spudmonkey11811cee_jayphogHenry Ford IIIgerardk55TheJimsScrubsfanChrisDDC1990molloyjhfull_irishRisteardBrianderunnerl3m0n5ed7890mohawkunplayableCookiemunsterKaiserkeljamiedav2011 27 votes
    Iain Henderson
    17%
    Neil3030Iceberg445279.ieNukemOtaconekevosuvkidwebelsFeederLuckyLloydchris85budhabobbuck65razorbluntomerinUr[s]uSWeleaseWoderickjprenderduckysaucepremierstone 56 votes
    Stuart Olding
    23%
    Mr.ApplepieCrashWinters[Deleted User]whatawasterchupacabraOisinjmeyeball kidTim Robbinsmarco_poloMagilleoin2ncaquascrotumLeeroyJonescrisco10irishbucsfanGrimeboxPodge_irlCIARAN_BOYLEHeroditas 78 votes
    Other
    3%
    colsterJohn_CWheekermfceilingSteve Perchancesweetthingdamianmcrseanm92WinnyThePooLangdon AlgerQwertyIII 11 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Tommy O'Donnell
    I'd say Henderson and TOD have been the biggest revelations

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Jordi Murphy
    Henderson and Madigan for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Jordi Murphy
    Voted for Madigan, although it doesn't seem to be there.

Henderson a close second, he's some monster.

TOD in 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Stuart Olding
    This is no way Madigan's breakthrough year, he was our top try scorer last season ffs and many were arguing that he should have been back up to Johnny for Ireland last season. As fantastic as he has been this season he should not be considered for this award.

Henderson for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Dave Kilcoyne
    Madigan isn't exactly breakthrough though. He was great last year, he just got bit more of an opportunity this year. For me it's between Murphy, Henderson, Olding and Marshall... The last one probably being the most impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Stuart Olding
    Going for Henderson because it wasn't for me really a breakthrough year as such for Madigan. We all knew what Madigan was capable of and he had already been playing a good amount of games in previous years, but we just hadn't seen it in Europe because of Sexton.

Outside of that Marmion for me and has put it up very well against the likes of Boss, Yachvilli and Care. Only men to make him look silly were Stringer and Khan Fotuali. As a side note Henshaw won the Connacht Senior Player of the Year, a year after winning the U19 award.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Iain Henderson
    Maybe being a little bit Munster biased here but think Tommy O'Donnell has been excellent this season. Can't help but think of Sminky shorts every time he takes off with the ball "Tommy's mad for speed" A player with a great future for Ireland and Munster.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I haven't seen enough of Connacht to comment but Henshaw and Marmion are now first choice is pretty impressive, the same for Dave Kilcoyne too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Stuart Olding
    I debated on putting Madigan in but in the end I thought it was the right call. I can understand the view that he had already broken through though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Stuart Olding
    O'Donnell has been good but not nearly as good as Henderson.

If the season was going on a bit longer, olding would be making a serious case I think.

Madigan has been the best of the lot but last year was his breakthrough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Kieran Marmion
    Madness that a guy who did his Leaving Cert last year and became his province's Player of the Year 2013 hasn't got one vote for break through of the year.

This forum is broke.

Madigan me hole, he's been around for 2 or 3 years now. Henderson is the only other who could deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Henderson or Marshall for me.

Some of the options I wouldn't say it's their breakthrough year. In fact maybe it's not even Marshalls. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

O Donnell is hardly breakthrough? He's been around a few years

I wouldn't have Madigan as breakthrough either, had a good few games under his belt before this year and established himself last season

Olding, Henderson, Kilcoyne, Jordi Murphy, Henshaw, Marmion

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Madness that a guy who did his Leaving Cert last year and became his province's Player of the Year 2013 hasn't got one vote for break through of the year.

This forum is broke.

Madigan me hole, he's been around for 2 or 3 years now. Henderson is the only other who could deserve it.

I sincerely apoligise for holding an opinion that differs from yours, but it's TOD for me. He's older than the rest but if anything that makes it more remarkable, people weren't expecting a huge amount from him and he comes out and puts in some cracking performances, namely in a H Cup QF and Semi final up against the likes of Robshaw and Bonnaire, but also great consistency in the Rabo throughout the season. Will deservedly be featuring in Irish squads in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

Kieran Marmion
    Would have voted Madigan....but he's hardly a breakthrough THIS year!

Henshaw will be outstanding if he's not too fast-tracked!

Struggled a bit with the U20's though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Kieran Marmion
    Tox56 wrote: »
    I sincerely apoligise for holding an opinion that differs from yours, but it's TOD for me. He's older than the rest but if anything that makes it more remarkable, people weren't expecting a huge amount from him and he comes out and puts in some cracking performances, namely in a H Cup QF and Semi final up against the likes of Robshaw and Bonnaire, but also great consistency in the Rabo throughout the season. Will deservedly be featuring in Irish squads in the future

Ya but O'Donnell is 26 in a few days and has been in the Munster squad for years and has been putting in decent appearances in that time. He was amazing against Connacht in 2010 for example.

Yes, O'Donnell upped his game, but going from schools to Player of the Year is a much larger jump of scale IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Tommy O'Donnell
    Too early for Olding, too late for Madigan. Henderson has been brilliant and built upon his season last year. Kilcoyne has established himself as the second best LH in the country after only a couple of starts last year. Marmion will hopefully establish himself behind Murray for Ireland in the coming season, and Henshaw has been brilliant for a lad his age.

TOD has had the most impressive breakthrough though. I don't think anyone expected as much from him. He has been consistently been the best 7 on the pitch in recent weeks; comprehensively outplaying SOB and Robshaw in the last month shows how far he's come. He mightn't have Wally's looks, but he has his pace and is looking like developing his power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Tommy O'Donnell
    Actually ya Kilcoyne has been immense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Stuart Olding
    I debated on putting Madigan in but in the end I thought it was the right call. I can understand the view that he had already broken through though.

It was completely the wrong call, as was putting in O'Donnell.

You should take both of them out and get a genuine poll on breakthrough player of the year and not a Munster/Leinster popularity contest.

It's Henderson by an awful lot for me.

Stuart Olding
    Too early for Olding, too late for Madigan. Henderson has been brilliant and built upon his season last year. Kilcoyne has established himself as the second best LH in the country after only a couple of starts last year. Marmion will hopefully establish himself behind Murray for Ireland in the coming season, and Henshaw has been brilliant for a lad his age.

TOD has had the most impressive breakthrough though. I don't think anyone expected as much from him. He has been consistently been the best 7 on the pitch in recent weeks; comprehensively outplaying SOB and Robshaw in the last month shows how far he's come. He mightn't have Wally's looks, but he has his pace and is looking like developing his power.

O'Brien played 6 that day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Kieran Marmion

Robshaw is a good leader but as 7s go he's ok, another 6.5. Tommy O Donnell has looked good so far any time ive watched him all the same, hope he keeps it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Iain Henderson
    O'Brien played 6 that day

There's been so much guff talked about that game since that you'd think Leinster got hammered. Completely outplayed, dominated, blah blah blah.

Oh wait, Leinster won in Thomond. Again.

Anyway TOD has been very impressive. He's 26 in the summer though. I think I voted for him by accident, meant to go for Henderson, who has taken to professional rugby like he's been at it for years.

Madigan was pretty excellent for Leinster last season in the league so don't think he fit the criteria.

Stuart Olding
    danthefan wrote: »
    There's been so much guff talked about that game since that you'd think Leinster got hammered. Completely outplayed, dominated, blah blah blah.

Oh wait, Leinster won in Thomond. Again.

Anyway TOD has been very impressive. He's 26 in the summer though. I think I voted for him by accident, meant to go for Henderson, who has taken to professional rugby like he's been at it for years.

Madigan was pretty excellent for Leinster last season in the league so don't think he fit the criteria.

He's potentially the new David Wallace, accident my arse. Subconciously you meant to vote for him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Stuart Olding

It's the guns that i miss.... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

Tommy O'Donnell
    I'm going to go with Kilcoyne. In the same weekend last year he was playing in the B&I semi-final, and hadn't started for Munster yet. In 12 months he's advanced to starting in a heineken cup semi-final against Clermont and not looking out of place.

Henderson would be a close second. Really has become a big player for Ulster is a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Dave Kilcoyne
    Henderson or Murphy for me. Shame the two of them TOD and POM, Kev McL, Henry, Ryan and a host of youngsters seem to be playing for one spot over the next few years. Bar injury Heaslip and O Brien are in the Irish team for the foreseeable future. If ferris came back...

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

Stuart Olding
    Good poll.

Ultimately I went for Henderson. He's gone from playing U20s last season to regular Ulster starter, to Ireland caps. And we've all seen him play, and we know how good he is and how much potential he has.

While O'Donnell has been good for Munster, he's playing in a position that is extremely congested at international level. I'd agree with those who have said that last season was really Madigan's breakthough season, he started about 17 games for Leinster in the Rabo.

Jordi Murphy has been impressive in that he's taken his opportunity to come through that congested field that is the Leinster backrow. However, he's well off a first team place in a knockout game when everyone is fit.

I haven't seen enough of Connacht to talk about their players :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Tommy O'Donnell
    Why is Dave Kilcoyne in italics? This sinister ploy may have affected my decision because he's my pick given the critical shortage of good props in these here parts. Needless to say, Henderson has been awesome and Olding darn impressive too.

I thought the choices would be more obscure for this title, people I hadn't heard of. I would say most of these guys have broken through already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Marshall should be in there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Stuart Olding
    I went with Henderson, who looks like he's been a pro for years. I'd have Henshaw after him.

Advertisement