Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Leinster Rugby vs Biarritz Olympique, Saturday 27th April 14:30, SS1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

awec wrote: »
    I don't think so.

I think Leinster are just a much better team. They are a bit of a fish out of water in this competition, they're a HEC quality team playing in the Amlin.

True, but Biarritz were still (just about) in the game just before half time and switched off because they thought the ball would be hoofed into touch. Leinster got that score that changed things a lot at half time because they believed they could still get something from a tapped penalty on half way.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

have yo say Ngwenya had a very good game. 2 try saving tackles and some great breaks.

Think he mixed the sublime with the meh for me. Some poor kicking and positioning, plus his tackle on Heaslip was poor.

His two covering tackles were some of the best I've seen though. The one on Sexton was unreal.

Actually awec were you in the south stand? I could've swore I heard someone doing the 'GIMME A L....' chant from where I was sitting in the Anglesea. :P

• Administrators Posts: 53,450 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Biarritz
    .ak wrote: »
    Actually awec were you in the south stand? I could've swore I heard someone doing the 'GIMME A L....' chant from where I was sitting in the Anglesea. :P

I was indeed in the South stand.

Unfortunately that wasn't me though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

What's the worst thing you can say at a borussia mönchengladbach match?

" gimme a B!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Great atmosphere around yesterday actually, which surprised me.

Great day out, nothing like the RDS in the sun with some champagne rugby!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Biarritz
    310939_10152781218100055_2138488542_n.jpg

it was the best damn atmosphere in a long time, and i think we'll all spot the north and south stand fans during the week with the half face tan/burn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Loved the crowd singing "one more year" to BOD after his try...:o

And his reaction to it was great, the classic BOD wry grin that we all know very well at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Biarritz
    well there is, just about. Arseholes who are up and down out of their seat constantly to go get drinks or go to the toilet. :mad:

Whatever about that we were on the terrace an hour before kick-off to ensure we got our usual spot. 2 lads arrived around by the dressing rooms outside of the terrace about 15 minutes into the first half and convinced the stewards to open the railings and let them into the front of the terrace. They proceeded to shove their way directly in front of me blocking my view and then went through the whole match chatting away and looking at their phones. A few others around me made room for me to move up a step so it was grand, but what's the bloody point in getting there early if people are allowed to skip the queue as it were!?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Killser

neilmulvey wrote: »
    True, but Biarritz were still (just about) in the game just before half time and switched off because they thought the ball would be hoofed into touch. Leinster got that score that changed things a lot at half time because they believed they could still get something from a tapped penalty on half way.

Totally switched off - when that penalty was given at the end of the first half, Boss went nuts to get the ball for a quick tap, he saw they had turned off. I was very dissapointed with Biarritz, I thought they'd show a lot more attitude, but I think you nailed it on the head, Biarritz arent use to that level of rugby, and we were too much.

.... which is weird as they play in the French league, you'd think there attitude would be better..?

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    Whatever about that we were on the terrace an hour before kick-off to ensure we got our usual spot. 2 lads arrived around by the dressing rooms outside of the terrace about 15 minutes into the first half and convinced the stewards to open the railings and let them into the front of the terrace. They proceeded to shove their way directly in front of me blocking my view and then went through the whole match chatting away and looking at their phones. A few others around me made room for me to move up a step so it was grand, but what's the bloody point in getting there early if people are allowed to skip the queue as it were!?

Should've spent the match 'accidentally' spilling your pint down their neck. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Biarritz
    Just on that note, what would be a reasonable time to arrive for a decent spot on the terrece Friday?

Sorry for going OT

Biarritz
    Just on that note, what would be a reasonable time to arrive for a decent spot on the terrece Friday?

Sorry for going OT

Normally you'd be grand getting in there 30 minutes before kick-off. That's the one by the dressing rooms anyway, not sure about the other one tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,849 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Sorry for going OT

30 mins before kick off any day to get the pick of the spots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Biarritz
    Cheers lads

Definitely more tickets sold for the Terraces on Saturday than a usual hosted home match, much more crammed in. I agree about the people coming in late and trying to barge into spots, I had a few words with a lad who wedged himself in sideways beside my OH and blocked her view when that step was clearly full, asked him the first time, pushed him back the second time and he skulked off to the back behind the pillars, which ironically is where I ended up myself after 60 minutes because I got fried!! Going around like Harvey Two-face today cos I spent the whole game facing to my left!

Biarritz
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    Definitely more tickets sold for the Terraces on Saturday than a usual hosted home match, much more crammed in. I agree about the people coming in late and trying to barge into spots, I had a few words with a lad who wedged himself in sideways beside my OH and blocked her view when that step was clearly full, asked him the first time, pushed him back the second time and he skulked off to the back behind the pillars, which ironically is where I ended up myself after 60 minutes because I got fried!! Going around like Harvey Two-face today cos I spent the whole game facing to my left!

It amazes me on days like that how people reckon they can just push and shove their way to where they want to go regardless of those around them. The terrace usually has nothing like that. People take their spots and stay there for the game. If someone got in early to get down the front they don't have to worry about people pushing and shoving their way in front of them or nicking their place at half time. And everyone gets on all the better for it.

We had 2 groups of people shove their way down by us at half time meaning that a few of ours that were at the bar had to do some pushing and shoving themselves to get back to where they had been in the first half. And the guys who arrived down at half time couldn't understand why they were suddenly short of space.

Anyway it was a great game and a great day for it. We're a totally different team with Jonny at 10 and with Darce and SOB to come back into the squad yet (hopefully we'll see them back this week) we seem to be hitting a bit of form at the right time. There were still some issues on the day; a little bit of inaccuracy at times and our defense, while much improved, was still suspect at tmes. Ospreys is going to be very tough, especially with it being another 6 day turnaround, so I'd expect to see Madigan start at 10 with Jonny to come on for the last 20. Seriously hoping we can get some revenge on them and secure that home semi. If we can continue this upward curve of form then we stand every chance of finishing the season with 2 trophies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I just realised I was chanting "Four more years" instead

Grimebox wrote: »

I just realised I was chanting "Four more years" instead

LOL. I noticed a few people doing this, and thought they were being very optimistic....

molloyjh wrote: »
    It amazes me on days like that how people reckon they can just push and shove their way to where they want to go regardless of those around them. The terrace usually has nothing like that. People take their spots and stay there for the game. If someone got in early to get down the front they don't have to worry about people pushing and shoving their way in front of them or nicking their place at half time. And everyone gets on all the better for it.

We had 2 groups of people shove their way down by us at half time meaning that a few of ours that were at the bar had to do some pushing and shoving themselves to get back to where they had been in the first half. And the guys who arrived down at half time couldn't understand why they were suddenly short of space.

Anyway it was a great game and a great day for it. We're a totally different team with Jonny at 10 and with Darce and SOB to come back into the squad yet (hopefully we'll see them back this week) we seem to be hitting a bit of form at the right time. There were still some issues on the day; a little bit of inaccuracy at times and our defense, while much improved, was still suspect at tmes. Ospreys is going to be very tough, especially with it being another 6 day turnaround, so I'd expect to see Madigan start at 10 with Jonny to come on for the last 20. Seriously hoping we can get some revenge on them and secure that home semi. If we can continue this upward curve of form then we stand every chance of finishing the season with 2 trophies.

Agreed, a very different crowd because of the open market sale, it will be a pity if many regulars miss out on the Amlin and likely the Pro12 finals because of ticketing arrangements. I know they arent 'home' games but theres a particular significance to these dates with the number of departures due to happen. Hopefully if we make it to May 25th, it will be a massively emotional day, that feeling started to permeate a bit on Saturday with the festival atmosphere, hopefully it will continue. Joe, Isa, Heinke, Jonny, Jamie H, Andrew, Fionn and the rest all deserve a fitting end to an unbelieveable era, or this chapter of it at any rate.

As for Saturdays performance, one of the most assured for over a year. Certainly Biarritz lost their spirit but it took the 5 minutes before half time to do that and everyone played their part in some storming stuff.

Good games all round, but Im giving special mention to Kevin McLaughlin who caught my eye frequently, despite the revolving door day he had, he was involved in all the heavy stuff and did as much to frustrate Biarritz as anyone. I do hope he gets a good run and we might see him back in green come the Autumn, especially if Ferris is out of the picture

• Advertisement

Biarritz
    I went to the toilet and to get a pint just before half time and missed two trys :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Agreed, a very different crowd because of the open market sale, it will be a pity if many regulars miss out on the Amlin and likely the Pro12 finals because of ticketing arrangements. I know they arent 'home' games but theres a particular significance to these dates with the number of departures due to happen. Hopefully if we make it to May 25th, it will be a massively emotional day, that feeling started to permeate a bit on Saturday with the festival atmosphere, hopefully it will continue. Joe, Isa, Heinke, Jonny, Jamie H, Andrew, Fionn and the rest all deserve a fitting end to an unbelieveable era, or this chapter of it at any rate.

As for Saturdays performance, one of the most assured for over a year. Certainly Biarritz lost their spirit but it took the 5 minutes before half time to do that and everyone played their part in some storming stuff.

Good games all round, but Im giving special mention to Kevin McLaughlin who caught my eye frequently, despite the revolving door day he had, he was involved in all the heavy stuff and did as much to frustrate Biarritz as anyone. I do hope he gets a good run and we might see him back in green come the Autumn, especially if Ferris is out of the picture
    I hate you, you know that.

You had me really worried there thinking Heaslip was going somewhere before I remembered about Hagan.

I hate you, you know that.

You had me really worried there thinking Heaslip was going somewhere before I remembered about Hagan.

And I actually went back to add in the 'H' before I posted in case of any heart attacks! Curse of the speed reader ;)

Biarritz
    I went to the toilet and to get a pint just before half time and missed two trys :(

That'll learn ya. Those 2 minutes were the winning of the game. Biarritz were incredibly slow into the changing rooms at half time. You could see it in them that they were knocked for 6. It was no more than Leinster deserved. Jonny got unlucky with his one that was held up (superb work from Ngwenya it has to be said) and Leinster did butcher a couple of chances close to the line. They looked good for a few tries in the first half though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I'd say both Roux and Hagan got a telling off this morning when they reviewed the Biarritz try.

Roux was the right pillar and moved to the left side of the ruck and you could see Cooney yelling at Hagan to fill the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Hmmmm, can we call you names?
    well there is, just about. Arseholes who are up and down out of their seat constantly to go get drinks or go to the toilet. :mad:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

ouch! lol

Ah awec, schoolboy stuff!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

2JrfH.jpg

• Advertisement

Biarritz
    I sat at the end of the row on the steps so I disturbed nobody and went at the same time as a mass exodus of other people! :o

Advertisement