Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Leinster Rugby vs Biarritz Olympique, Saturday 27th April 14:30, SS1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Biarritz
    Haven't had a chance to watch the match back or look back through the thread today but I must say today was awesome. Leinster pulled off some outrageous moves out there. Great to watch. Highlights for me were ferg's double chip n chase, Heaslips first try & Madigans almost try. Also the chant of "1 more year" going around the stadium was great!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Didn't really to be honest. There was nothing wrong with it. They're both fantastic players but I don't think they'd ever fit in a midfield together long term.

What's the deal with Darce? Hopefully we'll get him back for the home strech and we can use Mads off the bench.
    Calf strain against munster, should be fit next week.

Considering it was Madigans first senior start at 12 he didn't do half bad. That said I don't think its a long term 10/12 axis.

Have to say that if Sexton was saying and BOD retiring we could well have seen Madigan in the centre a lot next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Biarritz
    ktulu123 wrote: »
    Haven't had a chance to watch the match back or look back through the thread today but I must say today was awesome. Leinster pulled off some outrageous moves out there. Great to watch. Highlights for me were ferg's double chip n chase, Heaslips first try & Madigans almost try. Also the chant of "1 more year" going around the stadium was great!

During the first 20 minutes of the second half, we finally returned to the Harlem Globetrotter rugby of last year. So much fun to watch.

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Biarritz
    I had the misfortune of sitting in front of the female version of George Hook for the entirety of the first half.

"That's it, now out wide, yes through the gap, oh Ian I wince when you do that."

Thank god she lost her seat at half time :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Also the chant of "1 more year" going around the stadium was great!

Is this going to plague BOD for the next 4 games ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Biarritz
    Sandwlch wrote: »
    Is this going to plague BOD for the next 4 games ?

Plague him? He was loving it and though I only watched on tv, it seemed to only last a minute if even

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

I'd be very disappointed if it doesn't continue till he puts pen to paper. :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

It was also chanted when he came out to sign autographs. I know it was post match, but I have to say I was very impressed with how Joe and the players came out after and got pics and signed autographs for anyone who was there. Rob, Fergus, BOB, Isa, Johnnie, Mike Ross, Heaslip and Joe all came out, and spent a long time with all the kids. I suppose it happens after every match, but we were delayed leaving the ground yesterday and it was the first mine I saw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Great weather, fans, rugby, result,

What a day.

Have to rewatch the game as it turned into a session yesterday.

Well done Jamie, called it for you to have a stormer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Biarritz
    awec wrote: »
    I had the misfortune of sitting in front of the female version of George Hook for the entirety of the first half.

"That's it, now out wide, yes through the gap, oh Ian I wince when you do that."

Thank god she lost her seat at half time :pac:

Pretty much the exact same thing happened to us, 3 guys behind us pretty much saying everything hook says for the entire game. Absolutely clueless for the entire match!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Biarritz
    decisions wrote: »
    There was a real carnival atmosphere in the second half, the terrace was as lively as I've seen it. It really is the heart of good a stadium.

the terrace??? really? I was a terrace ticket for the final, and would happily pay extra to swap for south stand

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

have yo say Ngwenya had a very good game. 2 try saving tackles and some great breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Pretty much the exact same thing happened to us, 3 guys behind us pretty much saying everything hook says for the entire game. Absolutely clueless for the entire match!

There is nothing more annoying.

Biarritz
    There is nothing more annoying.

well there is, just about. Arseholes who are up and down out of their seat constantly to go get drinks or go to the toilet. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

well there is, just about. Arseholes who are up and down out of their seat constantly to go get drinks or go to the toilet. :mad:

Or the people who go along to watch the game rather then go in and out for pints, and get stroppy when you disturb them to go and get yours. Really get my goat. Watch it at home guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Prob best they get up for that infariness awec :p

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Well I suppose if you combined the two it'd be hell!

I had to physically move at a Leinster game earlier this season because of some expert who had clearly learned all he knew sitting on the couch! Constantly complaining about players who were playing well. A member of that unfortunate Schmidt-era breed who believe any kick is a mistake.

I'm happy these people are paying to go to games. If they would just do so out of ear shot of me it would be perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Biarritz
    This is the reason I stay at home. No matter what you do you're bound to be pissing somebody off and bound to be pissed off at somebody else for whatever they are doing. From everyone's perspective everyone else are idiots and assholes. Best just avoid them all I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,899 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Some stellar performances yesterday but it was a real team effort from all 23.

This was a very important game for Biarritz but they just couldn't live with our pace and precision.

Thought Locky was a brilliant yesterday, he doesn't do the flash stuff but his defense and especially his ruck work was exemplary. He is one of the best around at clearing out a ruck and is excellent at carrying off slow ball.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Heaslip really stepped up yesterday, he was outstanding, was like his old self, using his feet well before going into contact and was always looking to switch the ball between hands so as to fend off tacklers. Have to say though I find him incredibly frustrating, there's no reason why he cant be putting in performances like that every week. Whilst he's been performing well this season yesterday was another level. I think maybe he's almost too laid back as a charcter and needs some extra motivation to put in performances like that, I think the presence of the Lions selectors might have had an influence on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Biarritz
    shuffol wrote: »
    Heaslip really stepped up yesterday, he was outstanding, was like his old self, using his feet well before going into contact and was always looking to switch the ball between hands so as to fend off tacklers. Have to say though I find him incredibly frustrating, there's no reason why he cant be putting in performances like that every week. Whilst he's been performing well this season yesterday was another level. I think maybe he's almost too laid back as a charcter and needs some extra motivation to put in performances like that, I think the presence of the Lions selectors might have had an influence on him.

Sean O'Brien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Someone summed up Heaslip's performance really well earlier. With SOB out and two mullockers beside him, he's given the license to carry, and carry he did.

Always have to laugh at questions of Heaslip's professionalism (and coin tossing skills :rolleyes:), he's one of the most pro players around. Puts in such an effort for the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I thought Biarritz were better value then the final score, particularly in the first half. You could see the heart go out of them after the last try before half time. A great pity because it looked like the game was going to end a lot closer then it did.

Teferi wrote: »
    I thought Biarritz were better value then the final score, particularly in the first half. You could see the heart go out of them after the last try before half time. A great pity because it looked like the game was going to end a lot closer then it did.

Yeah, they were certainly in with a shout before that try alright. We were having trouble stopping them crossing gainline.

One thing we really lack is pure size in the forwards. Browne is a big loss on that front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Someone summed up Heaslip's performance really well earlier. With SOB out and two mullockers beside him, he's given the license to carry, and carry he did.

Always have to laugh at questions of Heaslip's professionalism (and coin tossing skills :rolleyes:), he's one of the most pro players around. Puts in such an effort for the team.

Hate that argument, he carries plenty with SOB in the side but whereas usually he's content to tuck the ball under his arm and lead with his shoulder into contact yesterday was different. Whilst some of the criticism he gets is OTT some people go too far the other way and are overly defensive when he's mentioned. Heaslip could be world class, his footwork and ball handling skills are outstanding but you wouldnt know it from watching him in most games. And not sure if that was directed at me but you couldnt doubt the guys professionalism, one thing you could never fault him for is his workrate which is always there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Biarritz
    Hate that argument, he carries plenty with SOB in the side but whereas usually he's content to tuck the ball under his arm and lead with his shoulder into contact yesterday was different. Whilst some of the criticism he gets is OTT some people go too far the other way and are overly defensive when he's mentioned. Heaslip could be world class, his footwork and ball handling skills are outstanding but you wouldnt know it from watching him in most games. And not sure if that was directed at me but you couldnt doubt the guys professionalism, one thing you could never fault him for is his workrate which is always there.

When SO'B plays he tends to carry close in making the hard yards forwards make more ground the further from the breakdown they get the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

Teferi wrote: »

Biarritz were awful. They only stayed in the game beyond 30 minutes because Leinster gave away a few soft, needless penalties. They were decent at close pick and go/one pass out stuff but when they lost shape they resorted to long loopy passes. It was like watching a slightly stronger version of Edinburgh, side to side making very little ground before just flinging the ball wide and seeing what happens.

The big difference was attitude and belief. Leinster won a penalty on half time and Biarritz assumed it would be hoofed out of play, Leinster instead saw it as a last chance to bag some points before half time and took advantage of a switched off Biarritz

Not directed at you at all, however, I certainly think there is merit to that argument. Not just a massive coincidence that when SOB is out he ups his carrying dramatically, similarly with Ireland, he's generally stuck at the bottom of a ruck while SOB is first receiver and POM is out wide.

By the way, he hit 35 rucks against Munster according to a piece last week. Bleedin showpony.

Biarritz
    neilmulvey wrote: »
    Biarritz were awful. They only stayed in the game beyond 30 minutes because Leinster gave away a few soft, needless penalties. They were decent at close pick and go/one pass out stuff but when they lost shape they resorted to long loopy passes. It was like watching a slightly stronger version of Edinburgh, side to side making very little ground before just flinging the ball wide and seeing what happens.

The big difference was attitude and belief. Leinster won a penalty on half time and Biarritz assumed it would be hoofed out of play, Leinster instead saw it as a last chance to bag some points before half time and took advantage of a switched off Biarritz

I don't think so.

I think Leinster are just a much better team. They are a bit of a fish out of water in this competition, they're a HEC quality team playing in the Amlin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

McLaughlin did that yesterday. Trucking the ball into contact and quickly recycling.

Advertisement