Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Leinster Rugby vs Biarritz Olympique, Saturday 27th April 14:30, SS1

Options
  • 26-04-2013 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭

challenge-europ%25C3%25A9en.bmp

The Amlin is the new Heino

And this is the Word of the BOD.

Tomorrow Leinster take on Biarritz in the RDS in the Amlin Challenge Cup semi-final. After a long and arduous season which has contained far more than it's fair share of injuries, a problem that continues to haunt the Leinster side, there is still the possiblity of a European and league double on the horizon. A massive positive given all of the issues and disruptions over the last 8 months. However it's all knock-out rugby from here. And Biarritz showed in the Amlin quarter-final that they are well capable of performing on the road.

Leinster are missing Gordon D'Arcy and Sean O'Brien due to injury, adding to a list which already contains Eoin Reddan, Luke Fitzgerald and Dave Kearney. The loss of these 2 sees Shane Jennings take the openside jersey and Ian Madigan surprisingly moving to inside centre ahead of Andrew Goodman. The rest of the side is fairly predictable with Toner getting the nod in the second row ahead of Quinn Roux, who is on the bench.

The inclusion of Madigan at 12 with Jonathan Sexton at 10 is an interesting call and likely gives us an idea of how Leinster are looking to play the game. With 2 first receivers behind a back row built for the breakdown it certainly looks like Leinster are going to look to play a fast paced game, changing the point of attack and keeping the Biarritz defense guessing. With Boss as a breaking threat who should have options on either side, plus Kearney joining the line similar to the way he did last year Leinster have plenty of options in attack. If this is the game plan then ball retention is key. The forwards will need to ensure quick, clean ball for Boss to work with. Boss himself then will need to be decisive and accurate. This game requires the Leinster we saw at the latter half of last season. And thus far we have yet to see it this season.

Biarritz went to Gloucester and won 3 weeks ago. The not only won, they won well. They were better in nearly every aspect of play than Gloucester. They need to win the Amlin to qualify for the Heineken Cup next season so will be really gunning for this Leinster side. I'm sure they did their analysis too of the Wasps game where the pacey Christian Wade caused Leinsters defence all kinds of problems. With a certain Zimbabwean winger lining up opposite Isa Nacewa I'm sure they'd love to get him running at Leinster line. The Biarritz pack seriously out-muscled the Gloucester pack a few weeks ago as well, although how much we can read into that Gloucester game I'm not sure. Gloucester were quite poor on the day and gave up some very soft scores. If Leinster can tighten up their defense then they should have enough to win out. But I've a feeling this game will be won and lost based on Leinsters defensive effort.

I am very excited to see how the Leinster midfield works tomorrow. If Sexton can pull the strings the way we've seen him do before then the talent outside of him in Madigan and O'Driscoll could cause Biarritz some serious issues. And with the number of attacking options Leinster have you'd have to back them to cross the line a few times. Madigan is an excellent defender at 10, so if he can bring that to 12 then our midfield should be fairly solid in that respect. I expect to see Healy, Strauss and Heaslip carrying a lot of ball up the middle. Leinster will try to suck in the Biarritz defense and use the attacking options out wide. Fergus McFaddens pace could come in very useful there. If they can drag the Biarritz defense from side to side and retain possession well holes will appear. And who better to exploit those holes than Sexton, Madigan, BOD and Kearney. I'm going with Leinster by 7, but as above that all hangs on our defensive work and our ball retention. Get those right and we should win it. Fail to and Biarritz could find themselves in the RDS again in a few weeks.

leinster.gif
    |
    Logo_BO_Rugby_1.png

15; Rob Kearney|15: Marcelo Bosch
    14: Fergus McFadden|14: Takudza Ngwenya
    13: Brian O'Driscoll|13: Benoit Baby
    12: Ian Madigan|12: Damien Traille
    11: Isa Nacewa|11: Aled Brew
    10: Jonathan Sexton|10: Jean-Pascal Barrague
    9: Isaac Boss|9: Dimitri Yachvili
    |
    1: Cian Healy|1: Thomas Synaeghal
    2: Richardt Strauss|2: Arnaud Heguy
    3: Mike Ross|3: Ben Broster
    4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN|4: Eric Lund
    5: Devin Toner|5: Pelu Ian Taele
    6: Kevin McLaughlin|6: Thibaut Dubarry
    7: Shane Jennings|7: Raphael Lakafia
    8: Jamie Heaslip|8: Imanol Harinordiquy CAPTAIN
    |
    16: Sean Cronin|16: Benoit August
    17: Jack McGrath|17: Eugene Van Staden
    18: Jamie Hagan|18: Francisco Gomez-Kodela
    19: Quinn Roux|19: Wenceslas Lauret
    20: Rhys Ruddock|20: Mathias Marie
    21: John Cooney|21: Yann Lesgourgues
    22: Andrew Goodman|22: Seramaia Buotu
    23: Andrew Conway|23: Teddy Thomas

Who will make the Final in the RDS? 60 votes

Leinster
    0%
    Biarritz
    96%
    Serbianozt9vdujny3srfBig NellyHipporrpc[Jackass]melekalikimakaFrankGrimestolosencDave_The_Sheepchris85hollywoodhoppyPeadar06mrmeindlZzippyktulu123sydthebeatchancer12ScrubsfanChrisLEIN 58 votes
    Paul O'Connell
    3%
    duckysaucejjjd 2 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I just read the Biarritz second row as being Pelu Ian Beale, which lead me to thinking that he never seemed that tall in Albert Square...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Biarritz are way overpriced for this, have a feeling they could spring a bit of an ambush if we're not careful.

Yachvilli Boss and Heaslip Hairydonkey battles are absolutely key. Good to see MCF in at wing, reckon he and Isa will be needed to keep an eye on the two speedsters.

Can't wait to see Ngwenya and Yachvilli in the flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Biarritz
    I think this is going to be a close one. Leinster by five for me.

Great write up, molloyjh, but unfortunately there'll be dark rum in my hip flask, so none for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Not sold out just yet

Leinsterfans: RT @leinsterrugby: Just 200 tickets left online for tomorrow's Amlin CC semi final. Small number of North/ South on sale in Spar & @leinsterstore in Donnybrook

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Biarritz
    Eponymous wrote: »
    I think this is going to be a close one. Leinster by five for me.

Great write up, molloyjh, but unfortunately there'll be dark rum in my hip flask, so none for you!

Well you may forget about me singing the Jenno song so! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Robbo wrote: »
    I just read the Biarritz second row as being Pelu Ian Beale, which lead me to thinking that he never seemed that tall in Albert Square...

Forget Ian Beale, what about 23 Teddy Thomas,now there is a name on the team sheet to strick fear into any opposing players heart and mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Need a big game from Heaslip, Leinster pack looks so different without O'Brien. Lacking power from 4-8 IMO.

shuffol wrote: »
    Need a big game from Heaslip, Leinster pack looks so different without O'Brien. Lacking power from 4-8 IMO.

Scored a few in semi's before.

Healy is a good shout to score too.

Madigan 1st try 12/1

Healy anytime 9/2
    or
    Heaslip anytime 10/3

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

We need a big defensive game for this one.

Defend like we did against Ulster, Wasps and Zebre in this one and there'll be more than a few of us all dressed up with nowhere to go when the final rolls around

P_1 wrote: »
    We need a big defensive game for this one.

Defend like we did against Ulster, Wasps and Zebre in this one and there'll be more than a few of us all dressed up with nowhere to go when the final rolls around

Averaging conceding 2 tries per game all season.

Need to play a high tempo 80 minute game and defend much better.

Cant wait.

He's looking forward to it are you

Dan Carter ‏@DanCarter 6h

Big weekend of European rugby #HCup #AmlinCup. What is everyone's picks?
    Details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

If Leinster dont win does that mean Connacht are a better team:pac: :P

In all seriousness, ye better win this folks, I've got used to having HC rugby and I dont want it to end yet:D

Also, Madigan vs Traille is potentially the most interesting match-up me outside of the battles at 8/9

freyners wrote: »
    If Leinster dont win does that mean Connacht are a better team:pac: :P

In all seriousness, ye better win this folks, I've got used to having HC rugby and I dont want it to end yet:D

Also, Madigan vs Traille is potentially the most interesting match-up me outside of the battles at 8/9

TBH if it is this or the league I want the League. Sick of missing out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

ssaye wrote: »
    TBH if it is this or the league I want the League. Sick of missing out on it.

TBH I want both

P_1 wrote: »
    TBH I want both

I did say IF :pac:

Two trophies for the players and Joe's send off would be amazing

Biarritz
    I did say IF :pac:

Two trophies for the players and Joe's send off would be amazing

First team to ever win 3 European trophies in a row? Even if one is the Amlin I still wouldn't mind that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

All 3 of the Biarritz backrows are very tall. Hopefully they won't be much use in the breakdowns.

yimrsg wrote: »
    All 3 of the Biarritz backrows are very tall. Hopefully they won't be much use in the breakdowns.

Biarritz QF full game in HD

Biarritz
    Biarritz QF full game in HD

Even just the first 5 minutes of that game tells a tale. Gloucester going from side to side, not forcing Biarritz to make any real decisions in defense due to a lack of dummy runners or even anyone looking to run off a ball carriers shoulder. Meat and drink to any decent side. They won't have it as easy against us. Nevermind the fact that most of Biarritzs scores came when Gloucester had men in the bin. I'd forgotten they had 2 men binned in the first half.

Looking at Biarritzs results this season, and I'll freely admit I've seen precious little of them, doesn't make for intimidating reading. If we're awake defensively then I think this is one we can win. They've won away to Gloucester, Zebre, Mont de Marsan (by a point) and Agen this season. Hardly the who's who of top class opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Biarritz
    We haven't lost a home knockout game since Munster in 2006. Not going to break that streak tomorrow. Think their second and back rows are better than ours, but our front row is better. The forwards game will be interesting. Think Healy is the key man for tomorrow, along with SOB. Don't see them handling the two of them without letting the other 13 players walk in a few tries.

Keep Ngwenya quiet and their backs aren't all that threatening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

tolosenc wrote: »
    We haven't lost a home knockout game since Munster in 2006. Not going to break that streak tomorrow. Think their second and back rows are better than ours, but our front row is better. The forwards game will be interesting. Think Healy is the key man for tomorrow, along with SOB. Don't see them handling the two of them without letting the other 13 players walk in a few tries.

Keep Ngwenya quiet and their backs aren't all that threatening.

He's injured!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

SOB out means we're lacking a big strike runner. I think Strauss is the answer for that, but obviously he's not starting for the sake of having a very potent player on the bench. I wonder if that's a mistake....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Franno "but who will take the kicks?" and something about Madigan being the better kicker.

decisions wrote: »
    Franno "but who will take the kicks?" and something about Madigan being the better kicker.

Give it to Ferg!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

.ak wrote: »
    SOB out means we're lacking a big strike runner. I think Strauss is the answer for that, but obviously he's not starting for the sake of having a very potent player on the bench. I wonder if that's a mistake....

Is Strauss not starting, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Best of luck to Leinster. Even without SOB, I can't see them losing even if Biarritz do 'show up', which is always a coin-toss.

Would be great to see two Irish teams in Dublin that weekend (cough splutter choke..)

• Administrators Posts: 53,450 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Biarritz
    I actually cannot wait for this tomorrow! :D

Into the Laighin Out for some pre-game beverages, a cracking game of rugby and then Munster in the pub after.

I'm going for Leinster by 10+.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Biarritz
    trouttrout wrote: »
    He's injured!

I knew there was a reason our back row looked weak... :(

All the more important Healy is so...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

tolosenc wrote: »
    We haven't lost a home knockout game since Munster in 2006.

Were we not technically the away team that day? I know Munster had the "home" dressing room anyway.

Is Strauss not starting, no?

So he is... Dunno why I thought Cronin was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Biarritz
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    Were we not technically the away team that day? I know Munster had the "home" dressing room anyway.

No you're thinking of 09

Advertisement