Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squawk as you see fit (Off Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Tenger wrote: »
    https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/aer-lingus-news/saver-fare/

This graphic indicates that checked in bag, headphones, blanket and advance seat selection are optional extras.

If they're the same headphones they had when I last flew transatlantic with them, I'd strongly recommend bringing an adapter for regular ones! They were so bad they were practically unusable...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

@tenger, cleaners are still placing headsets on seats and there are spare bags in the overheads. As of 2 days ago.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Stovepipe wrote: »
    @tenger, cleaners are still placing headsets on seats and there are spare bags in the overheads. As of 2 days ago.
    So EI haven’t completely lost the plot then.
    I wonder will they go down the “buy your meal” route with those Saver Fares. The COO seems quite proud of the offer during last months PHL launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

ha fook...ive my own noise cancelling headphones....so ill need an adapter by next week

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

As regards the headphones thing, it's a nice little extra 'saving' (or the appearance of a saving) for a traveller looking to eek out as much value they can from a fare.

How many people nowadays would have their laptops/tablets/phones with them and their own headphones, watching their own stuff? And wouldn't bother with IFE? I only ever used it to look at the progress map :P:D I'd watch movies/shows on an iPad or laptop.

And I know it's only drops in the ocean, but how much less weight is 30/50 pairs of headphones per flight over the course of a year, over the course of the fleet going to add up to in fuel savings?

Didn't one of the big U.S. carriers do something like that years ago (80's maybe) with the amount of olives they put in a salad being reduced by 2 or 3, and over a year they reckoned it saved them $50,000 in fuel? or was that just a myth?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Didn't one of the big U.S. carriers do something like that years ago (80's maybe) with the amount of olives they put in a salad being reduced by 2 or 3, and over a year they reckoned it saved them $50,000 in fuel? or was that just a myth?

AA, but it was the cost of the olives. And the eventually eliminated all that cost (and fuel) by not giving meals in economy at all...

There will be a weight saving and an associated fuel saving but whether it covers any lost revenue from the cheaper fares is a different question.

It was indeed American Airlines. And the staff member who came up with it got approx $35,000 as a bonus. It was a portion of the cash saved. (used to work with an ex-AA staffer who left them in 1991)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

L1011 wrote: »
    There will be a weight saving and an associated fuel saving but whether it covers any lost revenue from the cheaper fares is a different question.

possibly not, but if it puts 3-4 more bums on seats due to an 'attractive' fare for someone, and thus increases load, surely it's a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Hi everyone, hope it's ok to ask this here...

In my spare time recently I've been creating a fully custom free Shannon Airport for X-plane and I'm trying to keep it as realistic as possible. Some pictures can be found over here.

I'm kind of stuck at the moment because I'm finding it very difficult to find pictures of the airside portions of all the buildings between the main terminal and Aer Lingus cargo buildings, even trying to watch Youtube videos but not finding much. So I'm hoping maybe somebody here works airside or knows where I could find a few pictures?

Thanks very much!

EINN.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, hope it's ok to ask this here...

In my spare time recently I've been creating a fully custom free Shannon Airport for X-plane and I'm trying to keep it as realistic as possible. Some pictures can be found over here.

I'm kind of stuck at the moment because I'm finding it very difficult to find pictures of the airside portions of all the buildings between the main terminal and Aer Lingus cargo buildings, even trying to watch Youtube videos but not finding much. So I'm hoping maybe somebody here works airside or knows where I could find a few pictures?

Thanks very much!

They've mapped the airside on google streetview. Just drop the little man onto the blue line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    They've mapped the airside on google streetview. Just drop the little man onto the blue line.

The blue lines don’t come up for me airside, but they do at Dublin airport, do they definitely come up for you at Shannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

dashoonage wrote: »
    lads/ladies aerlingus trans Atlantic....do i need a headphone jack adapter?

Just to update this. Flew to nyc 757-200 i think. Nice fast screens and a standard headphone jack and usb port on the side of the screen.

dashoonage wrote: »
    Just to update this. Flew to nyc 757-200 i think. Nice fast screens and a standard headphone jack and usb port on the side of the screen.
    Nice one. I’ve yet to travel on one of their B757s, but have been told the screen is more user friendly than the system on their A330s. More responsive and standard headphone jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ciano35 wrote: »
    The blue lines don’t come up for me airside, but they do at Dublin airport, do they definitely come up for you at Shannon?

There's no street view at Shannon, I'd say OP didn't read the Shannon airport bit and just assumed you were on about Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Storm 10

My God but the Mirror is just unreal, they call this a frightening landing in fact its looks great and to me its an Aer Lingus ATR.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/storm-caroline-bumpy-landing-flybe-11654422

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Landing was spot on. No shaking about, and it was an EI ATR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Most non story ever

The landing looked perfectly fine to me !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Though I note the pictures and video are different aircraft. The pics are the Flybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You got to love the language used.

"Packed with passengers".

You get mental images of about 200 people in it, all standing and jammed in like a tube train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just watched it, and that looked a perfectly good landing. Seemed to be little to no shaking about. Just approached at the angle to offset the wind.

I've been on a lot worse. And YouTube has hundreds of clips a lot worse than that.

Fake news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

The pilot of that plane must be fuming if he/she reads that rubbish. Looks textbook to me. Right on the centre line.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Video been removed, or just my phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

faoiarvok wrote: »
    Video been removed, or just my phone?
    Still there on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

The landing was an ATR, and then it transformed into a Dash-8!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

The Mirror = Bog Roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Frightning? Like Greased Lightning?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Ciano35 wrote:

Sorry as mentioned - I thought you had completed Shannon and were looking for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Kuwait no longer routing it medical patients through Shannon after stop and search(es) http://www.arabtimesonline.com/news/no-new-health-fees-minister/

theres a line in there about using another airline, I thought they be using Kuwaiti Air and would hardly change from them???

Advertisement