Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squawk as you see fit (Off Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

L1011 wrote: »
    Have to fly Ryanair tomorrow, something I rarely do but needs must (no competition on route and connections are even worse)

Was wondering how I got a 'nice' seat on checking in - aisle near the front - and it seems I booked a Plus fare for some reason. Probably drunk when booking :pac: I was wondering how my fairly soft backpack would cope in the hold if they decided it wasn't under-seat sized (its fairly full this time, it has fitted in to even the under-wing bins on an Avro when emptier and squished) but now that isn't a concern at all :D

Checkin as late as you possibly can.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Shamelessly stolen from YLYL thread;
    Tabnabs wrote: »
    DfYZ7tiX0AA_3cE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,036 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Lufthansa this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What's the value of a secondhand half-scorched 340 these days?

Coke cans in the near future I reckon.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

This is the former 9V-SKA, Singapore Airlines first A380, currently in storage in Tarbes. This photo makes me a little sad, this aircraft performed the A380's first commercial flight in October 2007

ska-lourdes-dieter-mucc88ller.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

What's the value of a secondhand half-scorched 340 these days?

Coke cans in the near future I reckon.

Not much less than a non-scorched one, i.e. fcuk all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most of the value in a 340 is in parts that can be used in a 330. That has probably melted the avionics bay, so that's most of those gone... landing gear is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

In real terms, four engines (at, at least, a couple of million a pop), the landing gear (millions), the entire cabin fit, the galleys and bins and toilets, hundreds of valves, pumps , reservoirs, accumulators, solid piping, the wheels and brakes and a host of other things. When that A340 goes to the scrapman, his workers will strip it out to the skin and then break it up. Nothing goes to waste and there is a steady market for all the small and not so small bits. So, it's worth quite a bit, despite the fire.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Guys,
    Heading off on honeymoon next week.
    Dublin-London
    London-Vegas

Then

Vegas-Dallas-Cancun
    Cancun-Charlotte-Dublin.

All with AA.
    Have flight numbers and seats but just wondering is there a way of finding out what plane types we will be flying on etc

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

If you view your booking on the AA site you should be able to see the aircraft types.

• Advertisement

VG31 wrote: »
    If you view your booking on the AA site you should be able to see the aircraft types.

I'll check that when home.
    Would it make a difference if we booked through an agent?

kceire wrote: »
    I'll check that when home.
    Would it make a difference if we booked through an agent?

Do you have a booking reference number?

Do you have a booking reference number?

Just a Tour America Ref Number i'm afraid.

Our Invoice does state the following :

Dublin-London - AA 6769
    London-Vegas - AA 6182

Then

Vegas-Dallas-Cancun - AA 1547
    Cancun - Charlotte - AA 895
    Charlotte-Dublin - AA 724

Dublin–London (AA6729): British Airways codeshare. Actual flight number is BA835. Aircraft is Airbus A319/320/321.

London–Las Vegas (AA6182): British Airways codeshare. Actual flight number is BA275. Aircraft is Boeing 747-400.

Dallas–Cancun (AA1547):
    Aircraft is Airbus A321

Cancun–Charlotte (AA895):
    Aircraft is Airbus A321

Charlotte–Dublin (AA724):
    Aircraft is Airbus A330-200

Stovepipe wrote: »
    When that A340 goes to the scrapman, his workers will strip it out to the skin and then break it up. Nothing goes to waste and there is a steady market for all the small and not so small bits. So, it's worth quite a bit, despite the fire.

Oh yeah sure but there's no way it's worth fixing, unless you're Qantas and can't bear to lose a hull.

Sad to see that 380 like that, is that because SQ have a policy on airframe age, or a lease ran out, or do the early ones have weight/performance drawbacks?

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The lease return is because SQ are strict on age; the lack of takers is the because the early ones were rewired by hand and have massively inflated maintenance costs.

The early seriously non spec 787s all ended up in museums or scrapped, unsold so an acceptable service life is not a bad outcome.

Some slightly later serial early builds are going to HiFly for charter work

Dublin–London (AA6729): British Airways codeshare. Actual flight number is BA835. Aircraft is Airbus A319/320/321.

London–Las Vegas (AA6182): British Airways codeshare. Actual flight number is BA275. Aircraft is Boeing 747-400.

Dallas–Cancun (AA1547):
    Aircraft is Airbus A321

Cancun–Charlotte (AA895):
    Aircraft is Airbus A321

Charlotte–Dublin (AA724):
    Aircraft is Airbus A330-200

Thank you.
    Was just coming back on to post that I found the details. Completely missed that the first leg of flights are been ran by BA.

Do you know, when we check in at DAA, will we be assigned our seats for the LHR-VAS route too?

Can’t believe we are going on a 747, always wanted to and I only had to get married to get a chance :)

kceire wrote: »
    Do you know, when we check in at DAA, will we be assigned our seats for the LHR-VAS route too?

Yes, when you go to the British Airways desks at DUB you should be assigned seats and given your boarding cards for both flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Oh yeah sure but there's no way it's worth fixing, unless you're Qantas and can't bear to lose a hull.

Sad to see that 380 like that, is that because SQ have a policy on airframe age, or a lease ran out, or do the early ones have weight/performance drawbacks?

I agree completely; it's junk.

What's going to happen when composite airliners reach the end of their lives? Can the stuff be usefully recycled?

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

What's going to happen when composite airliners reach the end of their lives? Can the stuff be usefully recycled?

There's one being scrapped currently (an early 787).

Some recycling tech has been developed due to the huge amount of scraps from producing the aircraft to begin with - also Airbus has had significant composite components for years, entire tail sections for instance; since the 1980s.

Its nowhere near as easy and neat as aluminium recycling

261 cheque for a 6 hour delay from FR has issued. They gave a different reason on the apology letter (one that does qualify for 261) than on Twitter on the day of delay (one that wouldn't qualify) and I'm fairly certain neither are true!

Irrelevant once I get it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

L1011 wrote: »
    261 cheque for a 6 hour delay from FR has issued. They gave a different reason on the apology letter (one that does qualify for 261) than on Twitter on the day of delay (one that wouldn't qualify) and I'm fairly certain neither are true!

Irrelevant once I get it anyway.
    7 weeks after our 5 hour delay with FR we have only received €250 in our bank. There was 3 of us and we have 3 separate emails notifying us that we will receive the same payment each.
    Every single step has been a fight in this process. Ryanairs loss though as we booked our next trip with Aer Lingus were as if they hadnt of f@cked us around we would have booked with them no problem.

Also on a different topic, I see on the Air corp Instagram page that there will be live firing over the midlands today with the pc9's.
    An Aw139 has the firefighter rig attached aswell in no doubt preparation for the inevitable forest fires this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

jimbis wrote: »
    Also on a different topic, I see on the Air corp Instagram page that there will be live firing over the midlands today with the pc9's.
    An Aw139 has the firefighter rig attached aswell in no doubt preparation for the inevitable forest fires this week.

Off the South coast tomorrow, flying out of Waterford apparently. Thought the Midlands would be an odd spot for it.

Believe they were flying Bambi Bucket sorties in Dublin mountains today, few gorse fires around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

faoiarvok wrote: »
    Off the South coast tomorrow, flying out of Waterford apparently. Thought the Midlands would be an odd spot for it.

Believe they were flying Bambi Bucket sorties in Dublin mountains today, few gorse fires around.

Even as I was typing Midlands I knew it wasn't right but I was sure that's what I heard lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Even as I was typing Midlands I knew it wasn't right but I was sure that's what I heard lol.

There is a range outside Athlone, I recall doing a Grenade Live Firing Excerise there many years ago. However I dont believe it would be at all suitable as it is a relatively small area.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    There is a range outside Athlone, I recall doing a Grenade Live Firing Excerise there many years ago. However I dont believe it would be at all suitable as it is a relatively small area.

Rifle and artillery ranges inland as well, but I believe they always do aerial firing off the coast. Usually D1 at Gormanston in my memory.

Pat Dunne wrote: »

And the NOTAMs:
    NAVIGATION WARNING
    VFR MILITARY FIXED WING AND VFR MILITARY ROTARY
    OPERATIONS IN CLASS G AIRSPACE IN THE CLONAKILTY AREA WHICH MAY INVOLVE INTENSE ACTIVITIES. CAUTION SHOULD
    BE EXERCISED BY AIRCREWS WHEN OPERATING WITHIN THE CLONAKILTY AREA CO CORK. FOR MORE INFORMATION SEE AIC 09/18
    LOWER: SFC
    UPPER: 2000FT AMSL
    SCHEDULE: DAILY 0800-1800
    A FLIGHT RESTRICTION (TEMPORARY RESTRICTED AREA) TRA ON THE FLYING OF AIRCRAFT SHALL APPLY IN THE VICINITY OF DANGER AREA D13, CLONAKILTY, CO. CORK IN THE AIRSPACE CONTAINED WITHIN THE FOLLOWING LATERAL LIMITS:
    513134N 0085748W 513401N 0085853W
    513646N 0084250W 513420N 0084148W
    513412N 0084236W 512012N 0083436W
    511736N 0084848W 513142N 0085706W
    SFC TO 28,000FT AMSL
    SMALL UNMANNED AIRCRAFT (SUA'S) INCLUDING DRONES AND ROCKETS,
    OPERATING PRIVATELY OR UNDER SPECIFIC OPERATING PERMISSION MAY NOT
    OPERATE WITHIN THE TRA WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM THE FLIGHT
    OPERATIONS AUTHORITY AND EVENT ORGANISERS. SUA'S MAY BE SUBJECT TO
    SEIZURE BY AN GARDA SIOCHANA. STATE AIRCRAFT AND AIRCRAFT OF THE
    IRISH COASTGUARD SERVICE EMPLOYED ON AN OPERATIONAL MISSION SHALL BE
    EXEMPT FROM THE RESTRICTION.
    FURTHER INFO FROM THE IAA SAFETY REGULATORY DEPT 00353 1 6718655/1490/1189/1461
    LOWER: SFC
    UPPER: 28000FT AMSL
    FROM: 26 JUN 2018 08:00 TO: 28 JUN 2018 18:00 SCHEDULE: DAILY 0800-1800

• Advertisement

there will be live firing over the midlands today with the pc9's.

Biffalo hunting?

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement