Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

Harrington paid for his missed cut this weekend. Ends the week 103rd in the rankings, so his Fedex Cup stops here. Rory the only Irish interest left in the remaining 100.

All he needed to do was make the cut. Even if he'd finished last of those making the cut, he would have been in the top 100. If he hadn't had those dropped shots at the end of the Open, he also would have made it.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Not sure where he goes from here, but at least he has his PGA Tour card for the next two seasons, so he's in a lot better position than he was this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Delighted for Jason Day - love the guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

When is the deutche bank starting?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

When is the deutche bank starting?

Tomorrow. It runs from Friday-Monday. Something to do with Labor Day I think.

MUFC91CS wrote: »
    Tomorrow. It runs from Friday-Monday. Something to do with Labor Day I think.

Ah ok, thanks.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Just out of interest (and having nothing better to do with my time), I had a look at what results would be required by the top three in the world rankings in order to be ranked number 1 at the end of this week.

If they all miss the cut, Jordan Spieth will go back to number 1 and Rory will go down to number 2 due to the fact that Rory's divisor goes up from 44 to 45.

If Jason Day wins this week, he will go to number 1 unless Spieth finishes solo second or in a two way tie for second or McIlroy finishes solo second. If Day finishes solo second, he can move up to number 2 in the rankings if McIlroy finishes worse than 21st.

Rory needs to finish in the top ten and ahead of Spieth to retain the number 1 spot. If he wins, he's guaranteed to be number 1. If he finishes solo second, he will go to number 1 unless Spieth wins.

Assuming Day doesn't win, the result needed by Spieth in order to stay at number 1 assuming a top ten finish by Rory are as follows:

Rory Jordan
    3rd 2nd
    4th T6th/7th
    5th 12th
    6th 20th
    7th 27th
    8th 49th
    9th 58th
    10th 58th

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

So even if Spieth misses the cut, he can go to no.1 if Rory finishes, say 12th?

abff wrote: »
    Just out of interest (and having nothing better to do with my time), I had a look at what results would be required by the top three in the world rankings in order to be ranked number 1 at the end of this week.

If they all miss the cut, Jordan Spieth will go back to number 1 and Rory will go down to number 2 due to the fact that Rory's divisor goes up from 44 to 45.

If Jason Day wins this week, he will go to number 1 unless Spieth finishes solo second or in a two way tie for second or McIlroy finishes solo second. If Day finishes solo second, he can move up to number 2 in the rankings if McIlroy finishes worse than 21st.

Rory needs to finish in the top ten and ahead of Spieth to retain the number 1 spot. If he wins, he's guaranteed to be number 1. If he finishes solo second, he will go to number 1 unless Spieth wins.

Assuming Day doesn't win, the result needed by Spieth in order to stay at number 1 assuming a top ten finish by Rory are as follows:

Rory Jordan
    3rd 2nd
    4th T6th/7th
    5th 12th
    6th 20th
    7th 27th
    8th 49th
    9th 58th
    10th 58th
    Great analysis. It's fascinating how the top of the rankings can change so quickly.

So even if Spieth misses the cut, he can go to no.1 if Rory finishes, say 12th?

That's correct. Provided Day doesn't win this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

vienne86 wrote: »
    Great analysis. It's fascinating how the top of the rankings can change so quickly.

It is pretty meaningless if it can change week to week purely on the maths and who played or didn't a year ago. Let it be decided on the course, head to head, where it matters. That's all I look at.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    It is pretty meaningless if it can change week to week purely on the maths and who played or didn't a year ago. Let it be decided on the course, head to head, where it matters. That's all I look at.

It's a measure based on a particular set of rules. No system is going to be perfect, but using a two year average with more weighting attached to recent performances seems like a reasonable approach.

The fact that it can change from work to week doesn't make it meaningless. Rory was a long way ahead of the rest a few months back and it has taken an exceptional run of results by Spieth and Day to get to a position where they are now vying for the number 1 spot.

abff wrote: »
    It's a measure based on a particular set of rules. No system is going to be perfect, but using a two year average with more weighting attached to recent performances seems like a reasonable approach.

The fact that it can change from work to week doesn't make it meaningless. Rory was a long way ahead of the rest a few months back and it has taken an exceptional run of results by Spieth and Day to get to a position where they are now vying for the number 1 spot.

If you find it interesting - enjoy. I'll be watching the golf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Rory currently on 94 weeks at no.1, Faldo had 97 weeks so he would like to surpass that at any rate.

Just saw that the grand slam of golf has been cancelled due to venue complications!

Edit : mcilroy pars the first two.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Day birdies his first 3 holes. McIlroy and Spieth both +1 through 5 and 3 holes.

Me too. Knowing what the implications are for the world rankings won't prevent me watching the golf and won't ruin my enjoyment.

Won't be watching it this evening though. I'll be in Loulé watching Ireland play Gibraltar.

So Spieth has opened with a +4. Rory is on -1 and Jason Day on -3, one behind the current lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Regarding the world rankings I think they have a pretty good system in place. They used to have a little summary in the home page giving details of the current player at no 1 which was great but now that's gone :(
    A no. 1 player can't just be an in form player. They have to have proven their salt over a period of time so the rankings based over 2 years with weighting in favour of more recent performances is quite fair IMO. It does mean that when it gets tight at the top there will be a few changes without playing as there was last week but so be it. The one thing they should do though is add a little addendum of maybe the players last 6 or so tournaments and have a form ranking

vienne86 wrote: »
    So Spieth has opened with a +4. Rory is on -1 and Jason Day on -3, one behind the current lead.

Didn't see any of his round but just seems to have run out of steam.

Mcilroy bogeyed the last two holes, could be costly.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Seve OB wrote: »
    Regarding the world rankings I think they have a pretty good system in place. They used to have a little summary in the home page giving details of the current player at no 1 which was great but now that's gone :(
    A no. 1 player can't just be an in form player. They have to have proven their salt over a period of time so the rankings based over 2 years with weighting in favour of more recent performances is quite fair IMO. It does mean that when it gets tight at the top there will be a few changes without playing as there was last week but so be it. The one thing they should do though is add a little addendum of maybe the players last 6 or so tournaments and have a form ranking

I think it is a pretty good system they have in place - and I am grateful to posters here who understand it! Like most here, I like to watch each golf tournament. The OWGR is another thing, but it interests me too.

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »

I would attach some importance to it if it carried any reward, advantage or indeed any significance beyond the shape of the digit beside someone's name. That the "best" player on any given date can be determined by that player not actually playing is enough for me.

The rankings count for something further down, when it comes to qualifying for top events or even more critically, keeping your card. But as a way of deciding if Speith, McIlroy or Day is the "best" today, but maybe not tomorrow, it is of purely academic interest - and little enough of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Dustin Johnson with a 290 yard 2-iron to the green, its a different game to us mortals lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I would attach some importance to it if it carried any reward, advantage or indeed any significance beyond the shape of the digit beside someone's name. That the "best" player on any given date can be determined by that player not actually playing is enough for me.
    Spieth and McIlroy were the tiniest of margins apart before the Barclays: 0.05 of a ranking point, which really isn't more than a technical differential. You could equally say that Spieth lost the top spot through missing the cut in the Barclays rather than Rory winning it through not playing. Spieth needed to finish in the top 14 to hold number 1, which tbh should be expected of the number one golfer in the world. The fact is that his form is slipping and that's fairly reflected in his ranking.
    The rankings count for something further down, when it comes to qualifying for top events or even more critically, keeping your card. But as a way of deciding if Speith, McIlroy or Day is the "best" today, but maybe not tomorrow, it is of purely academic interest - and little enough of that.
    It never was supposed to predict who's going to be number one tomorrow but consistency and form are reflected in the rankings. Day's form has seen him get very close to the other two and if it continues will see him at the top should the others falter.

In short, it's an accurate picture but when the differential gets into decimals then it's hard to separate players, which is how it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Is it just me or anyone else couldn't really be bothered watching the FedEx playoffs? I can't put my finger on it, maybe its that all the players I like aren't in it. Maybe its that the majors are over and now its just a cash milking exercise. But I turned it on last night and after 10 minutes I was thinking what film could I watch instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I lover abff s ranking analysis. Will definitely add a little something extra to my weekend

rrpc wrote: »
    Spieth and McIlroy were the tiniest of margins apart before the Barclays: 0.05 of a ranking point, which really isn't more than a technical differential. You could equally say that Spieth lost the top spot through missing the cut in the Barclays rather than Rory winning it through not playing. Spieth needed to finish in the top 14 to hold number 1, which tbh should be expected of the number one golfer in the world. The fact is that his form is slipping and that's fairly reflected in his ranking.

It never was supposed to predict who's going to be number one tomorrow but consistency and form are reflected in the rankings. Day's form has seen him get very close to the other two and if it continues will see him at the top should the others falter.

In short, it's an accurate picture but when the differential gets into decimals then it's hard to separate players, which is how it should be.

Who said anything about predicting?

When the differential gets into decimals, it doesn't separate players to any degree beyond meaningless.

Some round from hoffman!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Rikand wrote: »
    I lover abff s ranking analysis. Will definitely add a little something extra to my weekend

Yep - that's my attitude too.

You lads need more interesting lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Diego Tristan

Rory not going well, but in for the last 2 rounds at least.

Spieth going home early again. Shocker from Justin Rose at the last, missing a putt to make the cut from about 3 feet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement