Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Rory not going well, but in for the last 2 rounds at least.

Spieth going home early again. Shocker from Justin Rose at the last, missing a putt to make the cut from about 3 feet.

I get the impression that Spieth is just knackered. It's been some season for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

vienne86 wrote: »
    I get the impression that Spieth is just knackered. It's been some season for him.

Speith was some sight on his last few holes - had totally lost it. He had been phenomanally mature up to now but the last two weeks he has looked more like a 17 year old than 21.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

First Up wrote: »
    Who said anything about predicting?
    You said:
    But as a way of deciding if Speith, McIlroy or Day is the "best" today, but maybe not tomorrow
    I took your reference to 'tomorrow' as an allusion to prediction. My bad if that's not what you meant.
    When the differential gets into decimals, it doesn't separate players to any degree beyond meaningless.
    Is that not the point though? Can you separate the top three at this point in time?

We can all see Spieth faltering and Day rising. That's reflected in the current rankings. It still remains to be seen if Day can get past Rory, but after this week, they'll be even closer.

I'm not sure how the ranking system can be faulted for pretty accurately reflecting what's happening in the tournaments.

Speith was some sight on his last few holes - had totally lost it. He had been phenomanally mature up to now but the last two weeks he has looked more like a 17 year old than 21.

I think this was what some people were predicting would happen. That while he's chasing the top spot, he's not under any real pressure but holding onto it is a much tougher kettle of fish.

He changed his irons before the Barclays and then changed them back before the Deutsche Bank.

rrpc wrote: »
    You said:

I took your reference to 'tomorrow' as an allusion to prediction. My bad if that's not what you meant.

Is that not the point though? Can you separate the top three at this point in time?

We can all see Spieth faltering and Day rising. That's reflected in the current rankings. It still remains to be seen if Day can get past Rory, but after this week, they'll be even closer.

I'm not sure how the ranking system can be faulted for pretty accurately reflecting what's happening in the tournaments.

My reference to "today but maybe not tomorrow" was intended to illustrate how meaningless it is as a measure of anything.

Speith's faltering and Day's rising are reflected far more clearly in how they are playing today than in a system that also factors in how they were playing last year.

• Advertisement

My reference to "today but maybe not tomorrow" was intended to illustrate how meaningless it is as a measure of anything.

Speith's faltering and Day's rising are reflected far more clearly in how they are playing today than in a system that also factors in how they were playing last year.
    I'm not sure what you expect from a ranking system if that's the case. To rank a player (or a team), you have to work out a method of measuring form and consistency with a weighting more towards current form.

The current system does that imo. The system can only be based on past results so you have to decide how far back you go and how you weight the older stats.

The real test is how the ranking compares to current performance. You could argue that Jason Day is currently the number one golfer, but that's based on what he's achieved in the past few months and primarily on the last month or so. Does that then discount Spieth's two major wins this year? Or Rory's two majors last year and his three wins this year?

From what you are saying above, it seems to me that you expect the ranking system to measure current form only. I don't think that would work since it would be constantly in flux as golfers go in and out of form.

I'm not sure what you expect from a ranking system if that's the case. To rank a player (or a team), you have to work out a method of measuring form and consistency with a weighting more towards current form.

The current system does that imo. The system can only be based on past results so you have to decide how far back you go and how you weight the older stats.

The real test is how the ranking compares to current performance. You could argue that Jason Day is currently the number one golfer, but that's based on what he's achieved in the past few months and primarily on the last month or so. Does that then discount Spieth's two major wins this year? Or Rory's two majors last year and his three wins this year?

From what you are saying above, it seems to me that you expect the ranking system to measure current form only. I don't think that would work since it would be constantly in flux as golfers go in and out of form.

All I'm saying is that when a ranking system is deciding who is number one, two or whatever based on differences of decimal points, in some cases derived from events that happened months ago, it isn't telling you anything of significance.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭LinksLad

All I'm saying is that when a ranking system is deciding who is number one, two or whatever based on differences of decimal points, in some cases derived from events that happened months ago, it isn't telling you anything of significance.

Multiply them all by 100. Now those pesky decimal points are gone. Shrapnel.:rolleyes:

Well it's telling us that they're close. :pac:

Whether we'll get a clear cut leader or not really depends on the continuing form of all three players. Spieth's form is on a downward curve, Day's on an upward one and Rory is still coming back from injury but had been on a brilliant run of form early in the season.

If you look at the records each of them has had over the past two years, it seems quite fair the way it's worked out so far.

McIlroy: 7 wins, 6 seconds, 11 top tens. (2 x 100pt, 2 x 76pt)
    Spieth: 6 wins, 6 seconds, 13 top tens. (2 x 100pt)
    Day: 5 wins, 2 seconds, 9 top tens. (1 x 100pt, 2 x 72pt)

I've just given the ranking points for tournament wins with more than 70 points available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

Well it's telling us that they're close. :pac:

Whether we'll get a clear cut leader or not really depends on the continuing form of all three players. Spieth's form is on a downward curve, Day's on an upward one and Rory is still coming back from injury but had been on a brilliant run of form early in the season.

If you look at the records each of them has had over the past two years, it seems quite fair the way it's worked out so far.

McIlroy: 7 wins, 6 seconds, 11 top tens. (2 x 100pt, 2 x 76pt)
    Spieth: 6 wins, 6 seconds, 13 top tens. (2 x 100pt)
    Day: 5 wins, 2 seconds, 9 top tens. (1 x 100pt, 2 x 72pt)

I've just given the ranking points for tournament wins with more than 70 points available.

The current ranking system has evolved over the years and I think it works pretty well. From time to time, players have dominated the rankings, but I think it's more exciting when there's a bit of cut and thrust at the top.

If Rory finishes outside the top ten this week, he will fall to number 2 (or possibly number 3 if Day finishes first or solo second). Leaving Day out of the picture for the moment, Rory will go back ahead of Spieth next week because his divisor will reduce. But his divisor will increase each of the following two weeks (assuming he plays) and this will favour Spieth and may result in Rory falling behind him again, depending on their relative results.

Any further play by Rory over the three weeks after the playoffs will also increase his divisor, so he will need to play consistently well to maintain his position. And of course, Day remains a realistic candidate to take over the number one spot if he can maintain (or even come close to) his recent run of form.

• Advertisement

abff wrote: »
    The current ranking system has evolved over the years and I think it works pretty well. From time to time, players have dominated the rankings, but I think it's more exciting when there's a bit of cut and thrust at the top.

If Rory finishes outside the top ten this week, he will fall to number 2 (or possibly number 3 if Day finishes first or solo second). Leaving Day out of the picture for the moment, Rory will go back ahead of Spieth next week because his divisor will reduce. But his divisor will increase each of the following two weeks (assuming he plays) and this will favour Spieth and may result in Rory falling behind him again, depending on their relative results.

Any further play by Rory over the three weeks after the playoffs will also increase his divisor, so he will need to play consistently well to maintain his position. And of course, Day remains a realistic candidate to take over the number one spot if he can maintain (or even come close to) his recent run of form.

Thanks.
    Wake me up if anything interesting happens.

Thanks.
    Wake me up if anything interesting happens.
    If something interesting happens in the rankings then they're doing it wrong :)

If something interesting happens in the rankings then they're doing it wrong :)

Yes, I'll get my kicks from watching people play each other on the same course on the same day. It's usually possible to spot the winner.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

And back on topic....

I don't think I can watch any more of sky's coverage, no golf, all stats and adds. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Fowler and Stenson going toe to toe... hopefully be an exciting finish tomorrow.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    And back on topic....

I don't think I can watch any more of sky's coverage, no golf, all stats and adds. :(

Lots of golf on my TV - and good golf too.

HighLine wrote: »
    Fowler and Stenson going toe to toe... hopefully be an exciting finish tomorrow.
    Those two and Jones have put a bit of clear water between them and the others. Jason Day dropping like a stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Only saw a few minutes of the golf last night but after Poulter talked at the Sky Cart they went back to the commentator's who happened to be Roe at the time and he was saying how basically he found Poulter a pain in the arse a lot of the time.

How does he think we feel having to listen to him :eek:

Stenson is going to be hard to catch tonight the way he is firing irons at pins again.

And then Rickie goes and drops a bomb for eagle on the 2nd. Great golf to watch.

• Advertisement

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Only saw a few minutes of the golf last night but after Poulter talked at the Sky Cart they went back to the commentator's who happened to be Roe at the time and he was saying how basically he found Poulter a pain in the arse a lot of the time.

How does he think we feel having to listen to him :eek:

Mark Roe's voice irritates me and this constant 'Dja know woh?......'.....but he I actually think he is an OK commentator and talks a fair bit of sense.

So this finish to the golf right now is fairly exciting.... but because it's the FedEx, this forum is like....

Poem_NevadaTumbleweedPhoto.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

I know it's come up before but them lads shouting after a tee shot are fecking painful, like if a 7 year old did it you'd give out, do these "adults" actually not get embarrassed.. I mean men shouting "mashed potato", "bubba bubba boom", or "light the candle" after every tee shot. Wonder what they'd say with a 5 iron wrapped around them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

What a huge mistake from stenson. He was shocked

Gonna be a tough up and down for Rickie with the fear of leaving it short and the ball ending back at his feet. Stenson's looks a little easier.

Great win by Rickie... went out there and took it from Stenson.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Another big win for rickie. 3 wins this year. Been inconsistent really most of the year but 3 big wins.

Win just around the corner for stenson

HighLine wrote: »

I think it was a gust of wind on the 16th that took it off Stenson. To be fair Rickie played great but it was Stenson's until then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

HighLine wrote:

Rickies only barely carried on 16. Wouldn't say it was a case of him taking it off him. Either way he finished the job. Hope he gets a major soon.

• Advertisement

JIdontknow wrote: »
    I know it's come up before but them lads shouting after a tee shot are fecking painful, like if a 7 year old did it you'd give out, do these "adults" actually not get embarrassed.. I mean men shouting "mashed potato", "bubba bubba boom", or "light the candle" after every tee shot. Wonder what they'd say with a 5 iron wrapped around them!!

I just don't get it, I really don't. Very hard to stop though, given the crowds, I presume.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement