Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

rrpc wrote: »
    I think it was a gust of wind on the 16th that took it off Stenson. To be fair Rickie played great but it was Stenson's until then.

Stenson was very unlucky IMO, but I'm delighted Rickie got the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

vienne86 wrote: »
    I just don't get it, I really don't. Very hard to stop though, given the crowds, I presume.

Yeah, they don't handle their beer very well and some just like to be obnoxious. Boston sports fans are notorious for that sort of carry on - Brookline was the worst as regards golf but it is unfortunately the norm across all sports. Strange that it happens in such an otherwise civilised city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

First Up wrote: »
    Yeah, they don't handle their beer very well and some just like to be obnoxious. Boston sports fans are notorious for that sort of carry on - Brookline was the worst as regards golf but it is unfortunately the norm across all sports. Strange that it happens in such an otherwise civilised city.

It's the 'that was me on the telly' mentality. All they're looking for is a bit of notice imo.

The problem is that it can affect a player's concentration on the tee. The fact that they shout after it's hit is not any real help because if you're standing on the tee knowing that the minute you strike the ball, some idiot is going to shout some nonsense at the top of their voice has to be distracting. A bit like a dripping tap, you start listening for the next drip.

You could see that Bubba Watson was getting pretty worked up about it and although I'm not a fan of his, I felt for him because he was getting the worst of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

In the crowd it's fairly obvious who's doing the shouting. Start ejecting these lads off the golf course and it will soon stop.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Just listening to Poulter's periscope from their flight home last night... both Stenson and Poulter were saying how they had to listen to heckling and abuse all day. The American fans really do tend to embarrass themselves but I doubt anything will ever be done about it!

• Advertisement

HighLine wrote: »
    Just listening to Poulter's periscope from their flight home last night... both Stenson and Poulter were saying how they had to listen to heckling and abuse all day. The American fans really do tend to embarrass themselves but I doubt anything will ever be done about it!

The thing is that many articles have been written about it, commentators give out about it on air and players are regularly complaining about it and nothing has been done so far.

Organisers are afraid to take action that might hurt attendances but at some point somebody like Bubba Watson will wade into the crowd with their driver and then it will be too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

rrpc wrote: »
    but at some point somebody like Bubba Watson will wade into the crowd with their driver and then it will be too late.

oh we can only dream!

Rikand wrote: »
    oh we can only dream!

Sooner the better!

Rory teeing off in a little over 10min. Have a feeling he is going to go low.

Jason Day on 4 under already.....only played 6 holes!

• Advertisement

It all seems to be going right for Day of late. And Spieth is demonstrating why this is such an infuriating game.... on fire for most of the year and the last 3 tournaments his game seems to have disappeared.

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/644594898960785408

Hahaha and then Spieth goes and gets an ace! Commentator's jinx! Again, some golf to watch.

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/644597444957892608

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Not a bad shot to see when first tuning in. Should get him going.

Day is unstoppable though

I think we are on 59 watch. (*edit*.. shame missed the chip in... 60 watch so) Day is just on another level. Golf tonight has been some of the best all year... but most won't see it because it isn't a "major".

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

Where is the golf? I'm watching highlights from last week. Can't get news anywhere of why I'm not seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭accap1f8

lostatsea wrote: »
    Where is the golf? I'm watching highlights from last week. Can't get news anywhere of why I'm not seeing it.

Suspended due to weather

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

accap1f8 wrote: »
    Suspended due to weather

Thanks - just seeing it now on Sky - I came in late. Why don't Sky put up a message telling us when we are watching highlights due to suspended play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Just watching last night's golf to hear some stupid shouts from the gallery got me wondering who will be the first golfer to start grunting ala Monica Seles mid-shot or better still hurling abuse back at them? Gotta happen soon imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Just watching last night's golf to hear some stupid shouts from the gallery got me wondering who will be the first golfer to start grunting ala Monica Seles mid-shot or better still hurling abuse back at them? Gotta happen soon imo.

Haha, I can just picture it.

Bubba disappears of the scene for a while to re-tune his game, comes back out for the Masters, on the First tee, as the pink driver makes it's gentle whissssshhhhhh, Bubba roars on impact "uuuugggggghhhhhh"

lostatsea wrote: »
    Thanks - just seeing it now on Sky - I came in late. Why don't Sky put up a message telling us when we are watching highlights due to suspended play.

Because then you might not stay and watch their advertisements during the break

• Advertisement

What was Hoffman up to here?? Seems a bit strange.... should be 2 strokes IMO.

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/644892376654213120

Rory fighting his way back in with two birdies and an eagle. Tied 5th on -7.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Jason Day is just on a different planet right now

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Jason Day is just on a different planet right now

Will anyone catch him? Time to step up Rors!

Will anyone catch him? Time to step up Rors!

Rory's playing quite well, but how do you beat a guy who shoots 10 under followed by 8 under?

It's unbelievable stuff.

So. Can Jason take no.1 tonight? Or does it depend on what jordan or rors do ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Yep, a win will take him to number 1 regardless.

Player of the year just got a bit more difficult to pick following Day's win tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

HighLine wrote: »
    Player of the year just got a bit more difficult to pick following Day's win tonight.

Am I living in a time warp? They're still showing the golf on Sky and the PGA Tour website is still showing 9 holes to play.

• Advertisement

abff wrote: »
    Am I living in a time warp? They're still showing the golf on Sky and the PGA Tour website is still showing 9 holes to play.

Nope no time warp.. just no doubting Day has this won. A shame that it's finishing a bit flat tonight but has been great to watch the kind of golf he has been playing over the last few days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement