Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

im with buyrite, but they dont really deal with fertilliser and meal that much:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

kevthegaff wrote: »
    im with buyrite, but they dont really deal with fertilliser and meal that much:(

Must say I left them as I got no saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

kevthegaff wrote: »

TBH fert from what i found is as much about timing as about bulk, but prices i seen quoted here earlier in the year were just crazy dear compared to what we got it.I could be wrong on this but from what i can see the further south ya go the more expensive stuff gets esp fert i think the few big boys down there have it wrapped up. NI scares the stuffing out of traders not to be messing with prices along the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

Glanbia base .37

P 3.48
    F 3.56

Gross : 37.21
    Net: 36.8

First time ever we are over Glanbia p average at this time of year.

Arrabawn 36.8 c/l protein 3.3 fat 3.5 biggest milk cheque i have ever gotten!! was talking to arra lad said 2% under at end of may should be level by end of june, itchy bum time. Nxt month .7cl off milk cheque for whoever hasnt enough shares, luckily gona transfer majority of mothers share to mine so should avoid this:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

dairygold 37.5 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

Arrabawn,

base 37

B/F 3.82
    P 3.32
    Price 37.89c/ltr.

first time I was happy with a may cheque in years, supplied a little over 900 ltr per cow for the month and was struggling with solids for a good part thereof

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

the day a guy can't do his own business is a sad day. most of the merchants I deal with wont deal with buying groups as its not worth the bother. it unworkable for feeds as no two farms are the same in regards to what spec grub is needed. on products like ferts etc then there maybe room for savings for smaller farmers. people running from post to pillar to save tuppance doesnt make sense to me.

If you have a good relationship with a merchant and live by the terms they will always cut you a good deal or even take you out of a hole when times are tough. Many wouldnt want to forget how helpful allot of merchants were this winter by extending credit to take farmers out of a hole. Race to the bottom at your peril but I prefer to do my business as local as possible and have a loyal relationship with the people I deal with.

the day a guy can't do his own business is a sad day. most of the merchants I deal with wont deal with buying groups as its not worth the bother. it unworkable for feeds as no two farms are the same in regards to what spec grub is needed. on products like ferts etc then there maybe room for savings for smaller farmers. people running from post to pillar to save tuppance doesnt make sense to me.

If you have a good relationship with a merchant and live by the terms they will always cut you a good deal or even take you out of a hole when times are tough. Many wouldnt want to forget how helpful allot of merchants were this winter by extending credit to take farmers out of a hole. Race to the bottom at your peril but I prefer to do my business as local as possible and have a loyal relationship with the people I deal with.

It breaks my heart Bob but yet again you're on the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

the day a guy can't do his own business is a sad day. most of the merchants I deal with wont deal with buying groups as its not worth the bother. it unworkable for feeds as no two farms are the same in regards to what spec grub is needed. on products like ferts etc then there maybe room for savings for smaller farmers. people running from post to pillar to save tuppance doesnt make sense to me. 10 -30 % is a lot more than tuppance
    not worth the bother means he has to sell to them for less

This still all applies to a good group

• Advertisement

36.88 / lt 3.67 bf--3.21 pr.
    Unfortunately some on fixed price@29.49 plus vat 30.9

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

the day a guy can't do his own business is a sad day. most of the merchants I deal with wont deal with buying groups as its not worth the bother.

I couldn't agree more.

Although why farmers should be content to exercise only the purchasing power of a single man (or woman) whilst willingly succumbing, as price taker, to the multitude of buying groups on the sell side remains a bit of a mystery to me.

No doubt enlightenment will come with experience.

Yes & No how i would answer to what you saying bob, merchants saying groups are not worth the bother is prob a bit of a porky by them, alot of the time they are just not competitive.When we started up we had long established guys who dealt with the same companys for years and thought they were getting great value for there loyalties but got the mother and father of an eye opener when they seen what they were able to get it else where. As for the credit being extended to guys to get them out of a hole that may be true but to me there is no such thing as a free lunch.On the topic of feed specs being unworkable we have a prob 70/30 dairy/beef farmers and have NEVER had that problem.IMHO the only guys who can partly match prices is say the 250-300 cow man upwards and thats only on inputs there is no way in this day and age they can handle banks insurance companies ect ect to the same extent on there own " but thats just my experience :)"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,074 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Arrabawn base 37.My price 38.1.Fat 3.74 prot 3.43.Amazing what the extra few cent a litre on may cheque make.On arrabawn quota position i am very optimistic that we will be ok come next april.We are well under quota after the 2 traditional peak months and it will be hard claw it all back.Will keep an eye on it though but personally im going to take a small gamble on it and go beteween 5 to 8 % over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Arrabawn base 37.My price 38.1.Fat 3.74 prot 3.43.Amazing what the extra few cent a litre on may cheque make.On arrabawn quota position i am very optimistic that we will be ok come next april.We are well under quota after the 2 traditional peak months and it will be hard claw it all back.Will keep an eye on it though but personally im going to take a small gamble on it and go beteween 5 to 8 % over

Is there temp leasing available in Arrabawn ?

red bull wrote: »
    Is there temp leasing available in Arrabawn ?

yes

milkprofit wrote: »
    This still all applies to a good group
    Up to 30% discount on feed and fert????????????????

loveta wrote: »
    Yes & No how i would answer to what you saying bob, merchants saying groups are not worth the bother is prob a bit of a porky by them, alot of the time they are just not competitive.When we started up we had long established guys who dealt with the same companys for years and thought they were getting great value for there loyalties but got the mother and father of an eye opener when they seen what they were able to get it else where. As for the credit being extended to guys to get them out of a hole that may be true but to me there is no such thing as a free lunch.On the topic of feed specs being unworkable we have a prob 70/30 dairy/beef farmers and have NEVER had that problem.IMHO the only guys who can partly match prices is say the 250-300 cow man upwards and thats only on inputs there is no way in this day and age they can handle banks insurance companies ect ect to the same extent on there own " but thats just my experience :)"
    I know you would probably be breaking confidence but if you can what margin can you borrow 15 year money at and what rate for overdraft?

Sir Horace Curzon Plunkett would be proud.

be careful group selling - big brother is watching

Glanbia
    Base .37/litre
    Fat 3.91
    Pro 3.48
    Nett price 38.08
    Really struggled with fat in May. Rarely went over 4. It is consistently above 4 now and pro staying above 3.5 for June so expecting 39-40 for June. Every cent is needed

I recon we are still 2c off market in Glanbia but what's new.
    Country 10% under quota with last Dept figures, how reliable are these figures.
    Glanbia will exceed quota and we will wait and see what all others will do.
    Very early to call quota two peak months gone and they weren't record breakers.

• Advertisement

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Jes i hope your right j, ill be over in August and i do be giving out about my friends gambling:D:D

delaval wrote: »
    Glanbia
    Base .37/litre
    Fat 3.91
    Pro 3.48
    Nett price 38.08
    Really struggled with fat in May. Rarely went over 4. It is consistently above 4 now and pro staying above 3.5 for June so expecting 39-40 for June. Every cent is needed

mind me asking current yield ?

Sir Horace Curzon Plunkett would be proud.

be careful group selling - big brother is watching

Had to google sir horace there to see who he was "should have listened more at school :o" he was some boyo though :)

jomoloney wrote: »
    mind me asking current yield ?

24 litres today peaked at 26
    10% autumn calving and 30% heifers
    2 kg 12% maize based nut

loveta wrote: »
    Had to google sir horace there to see who he was "should have listened more at school :o" he was some boyo though :)

his downfall as far as I remember was failing the - thou shall not covet thy neighbors wife commandant :D

So be careful loveta we dont want history repeating itself.

his downfall as far as I remember was failing the - thou shall not covet thy neighbors wife commandant :D

So be careful loveta we dont want history repeating itself.

I think Quadboy is a direct descendant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

Glanbia
    Base .37/litre
    Fat 3.91
    Pro 3.48
    Nett price 38.08

I recon we are still 2c off market in Glanbia but what's new.
    Country 10% under quota with last Dept figures, how reliable are these figures.
    Glanbia will exceed quota and we will wait and see what all others will do.
    Very early to call quota two peak months gone and they weren't record breakers.

Does the .37 include vat

24 litres today peaked at 26
    10% autumn calving and 30% heifers
    2 kg 12% maize based nut

28 ltrs per day here all spring calvers about 20 % heifers

presently about 3.8 bf 3.45 p

cows 2 kgs heifers 3 kgs ,, 14 % high maize nut

mostly BR FR with a few MOX and RBX

Does the .37 include vat

.37 inc Vat

• Advertisement

I know you would probably be breaking confidence but if you can what margin can you borrow 15 year money at and what rate for overdraft?

If i told u rate for overdraft u would not believe me
    I would wager 50% less than u
    15 yr money dont know

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement