Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Adoption?

Options
  • 17-04-2013 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

I'm not a great fan of adoption, I'd far rather see birth parents given all of the support needed to raise their own child but I'm aware that it isn't always possible and that it can be a fantastic outcome for both folks unable to have birth children of their own and the adopted child.

Gay people can adopt but only as single parents and not as couples and while I'm sure that we all know of lone parents doing a fantastic job, is it ideal to deliberately give a child only one legal parent when their are two available?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

This should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Feckin greeks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Why do people think that the ability to conceive a child is the same thing as the ability to be a good parent?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Trudiha wrote: »

Gay people can adopt but only as single parents and not as couples and while I'm sure that we all know of lone parents doing a fantastic job, is it ideal to deliberately give a child only one legal parent when their are two available?

So your issue with gay people adopting isn't that they're gay, it's because of a technicality that they can only do so by being a single parent?

Or are you using this as a nice excuse to be against gay adoption and not sound like a bigot?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

The argument that a child needs a male and female parent is clearly undermined by single parent families. And the idea that a heterosexual couple is preferential over a homosexual one is undermined by studies done on the topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

o1s1n wrote: »
    So your issue with gay people adopting isn't that they're gay, it's because of a technicality that they can only do so by being a single parent?

Or are you using this as a nice excuse to be against gay adoption and not sound like a bigot?

I think you're taking him up wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Nodin wrote: »

Im not sure actually, i think theres 2 ways of reading it and i havent a clue which way the OP is actually leaning

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Eagerly awaiting the first poster who is against it because the child may be bullied.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Trudiha

I was doing my best not to ask a leading question and I'm a her.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Well I did give an 'either' 'or' to try and confirm which angle he's coming at :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

How the hell can "Trudiha" seem like a he?
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vUFXY63GmF8/TZsMJ9y6XQI/AAAAAAAAAJk/e9GQktZIyJY/s1600/kenneth+williams.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

Eagerly awaiting the first poster who is against it because the child may be bullied.

I am against it as the child may be bullied.
    BOOM!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Trudiha wrote: »
    I was doing my best not to ask a leading question and I'm a her.

Rule 30 of teh internet,, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Madam_X wrote: »

Beat me to it ...

If Modern family has though me anything it's that gay's are awesume people, and they make great parents, no different to hetero parents ... bar all the gay sex of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

o1s1n wrote: »

I think you are taking him up wrong too.

At the moment only a gay couple cant adopt but say a gay individual can, so if he does adopt and dies, his partner has no rights on the child. He is saying that that should be changed so if one dies the other still has legal rights on that child

So he is infact supporting gay adoption (or at least thats what I read)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭wylam

Op can you give us a better explanation of what exactly your issue is?

And o1s1n , you might be jumping to conclusions there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

If the parents stay together to raise the child then it's just paperwork that says the child only has one parent and it should never really effect them.

The big issue with this system is if the parents split. The parent that is considered the guardian gets to call all the shots and the other parent would have no legal claim to the child. This is unfair on the child and the non-legal guardian parent because they may never get to see each other again if the other parent decides to be a dick.

There is also the issue that it is more difficult for a single person to adopt than a couple (open to correction on this as I'm pretty much going on hear say). Under the current system this would make it more difficult for gay couples to adopt than a heterosexual couple. This is obviously unfair.

So ye the system should be changed so that gay couples can adopt in a fashion where they are treated the same as heterosexual couples.

wylam wrote: »
    Op can you give us a better explanation of what exactly your issue is?

On reading the gay marriage thread, the vast majority of people seen to be mostly indifferent, leaning towards not giving a ****e, until it comes to the issue of adoption, people have mentioned it (along with the rights of unmarried fathers) but seemed unwilling to go off topic so I wondered what issues people had with gay adoption.

If the parents stay together to raise the child then it's just paperwork that says the child only has one parent and it should never really effect them.

There can be issue around giving consent for medical treatment, taking the child on holiday alone and a bunch of other stuff, even while the parents are still in a functioning relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

But what if the children catch the gay!
    Won't somebody please think of the children

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭becost

Well I have one question for all the liberal supporters of gay adoption. Would you have preferred to have been raised by two mummies or two daddies? It's a yes/no answer. If everyone is 100% honest, I won't expect to get one Yes.
    bhamsteve wrote: »
    But what if the children catch the gay!
    Won't somebody please think of the children

That's a tricky one. Is homosexuality genetic or a lifestyle choice. I always thought that gay adoption might hold the answer and it may show it to be a lifestyle choice. However, If children brought up by gay parents go to the dark side, I'm sure they'll say it's because the child had the gay gene.

becost wrote: »
    Well I have one question for all the liberal supporters of gay adoption. Would you have preferred to have been raised by two mummies or two daddies? It's a yes/no answer. If everyone is 100% honest, I won't expect to get one Yes.

Im sure most would prefer not to be adopted at all but for those who are Im sure they are happy enough to be raised in a safe and loving envoirment

My parents are and were grand, they never gave me any reason to hold their heterosexuality against them and I wouldn't swap them for the world. My partner's five kids think the same about her and wouldn't swap her for a straight mum. Except the youngest, the youngest is convinced that she is a princess and the Diana POW should have been her real mummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭wylam

@becost, thats not a question that can be answered. You cant pick your parents and whether they are same sex or not makes no difference at all once the child is cared for.I wonder how child abuse cases (mental ,physical , sexual) in ireland came from same sex couples?

Sin City wrote: »
    Im sure most would prefer not to be adopted at all but for those who are Im sure they are happy enough to be raised in a safe and loving envoirment

This is an answer to a different question :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Why do you have to say "liberal?"
    I think the ideal is a male and female parental presence. Does that therefore make me think I should impose this view on others and lobby against gay couples adopting though? Nope. Plus, a loving same-sex couple raising a child is far better than what some of the alternatives could be for a child raised by an abusive/neglectful heterosexual couple.

It's not really a yes/no answer to your question - how can people know what they'd prefer if they haven't experienced one of them?
    That's a tricky one.
    It's not. They were taking the piss. Suggesting children will become gay because of being raised by a same-sex couple is as ridiculous as suggesting that children of heterosexual couples are only heterosexual.
    Is homosexuality genetic or a lifestyle choice. I always thought that gay adoption might hold the answer and it may show it to be a lifestyle choice. However, If children brought up by gay parents go to the dark side, I'm sure they'll say it's because the child had the gay gene.
    You're sure of nothing. Nah, people don't choose to be gay. Just like people don't choose to be straight. You fancy whom you fancy, it's not a choice.

Madam_X wrote: »
    Why do you have to say "liberal?"
    I think the ideal is a male and female parental presence. Does that therefore make me think I should impose this view on others and lobby against gay couples adopting though? Nope. Plus, a loving same-sex couple raising a child is far better than what some of the alternatives could be for a child raised by an abusive/neglectful heterosexual couple.

It's not really a yes/no answer to your question - how can people know what they'd prefer if they haven't experienced one of them?

It's not. They were taking the piss. Suggesting children will become gay because of being raised by a same-sex couple is as ridiculous as suggesting that children of heterosexual couples are only heterosexual.

You're sure of nothing. Nah, people don't choose to be gay. Just like people don't choose to be straight. You fancy whom you fancy, it's not a choice.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on those points :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

If myself and the wife were to die, and no sibling was willing to take my son,I would be happier to send him to a straight couple. Probably insistant on it.

This is an answer to a different question :confused:

No its not

You asked the erronous question of which would you prefer to have 2 mammies and 2 daddies or a mamy and a daddy

Now, Im sure most kids will be happy with either as long as they are raised in a loving and safe home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I'd suppose I'd adopt a gay if he wasn't too camp.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement