Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Championship 2013 Draw & Gossip

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

If he loses the opening session it will be one way traffic and as much as i hate to admit it, the final could end with a session to spare

I sincerely hope not. However nice it is to watch Ronnie flying around the table destroying his opponent, there's nothing more deflating than a final that finishes so early. Final day is supposed to be one of those bank holiday evenings when you just can't go to bed even though you know you should.

It's unfortunate to see that people have written off Hawkins before he's played a shot. I think he could prove more trouble for O'Sullivan than people think. Would love to see him win it, I think the odds are against that but I don't think (and hope) it will be a whitewash.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Spiderpig92

I really do want Hawkins to do well, I like him as a player and seems like a very nice person, also the fact that I backed him as a outside world champion a couple of months ago. I would love to see him win it, but all I see is Ronnie winning it by 10 or more frames unfortunately. I really do hope I am proven wrong. COME ON BARRY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

PauloMN wrote: »
    I sincerely hope not. However nice it is to watch Ronnie flying around the table destroying his opponent, there's nothing more deflating than a final that finishes so early. Final day is supposed to be one of those bank holiday evenings when you just can't go to bed even though you know you should.

It's unfortunate to see that people have written off Hawkins before he's played a shot. I think he could prove more trouble for O'Sullivan than people think. Would love to see him win it, I think the odds are against that but I don't think (and hope) it will be a whitewash.

If Hawkins gives Ronnie any chance Ronnie will destroy him, and I am sure Hawkins knows this. Ronnie I think is very unforgiving that way. Give him one shot and he will (most of the time) clear the table. Id say we will see a 147 or two.

Remember the Robertson Dott final a few yrs ago. I got on the train back to Dublin at 7, sure I was going to miss the end of the match, and was delighted it was still on by the time I got to the flat. Sure it didn't finish til after 1am! Loved it! So compelling.
    The final this could be a walk over but I hope not.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

In Argentina atm and having patchy viewing which is a pity. I had backed Walden since day one so I'm disappointed he didn't make it. I don't think he was mentally 'there' in the last session, something he will definitely have to work on if he's to become a world champion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

To be honest I just thought Walden ran out of steam, Hawkins had two bad sessions in the final and I guess by the third session it was all or nothing, he cue arm became loose and he began to find his rhythm again.

All credit to both players even though it wouldn't go down as a great semi final it was tension filled and they both played their part.

As for the final well rightly so O'Sullivan is hot favourite and I would expect him to win the final 18-8, 18-9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Ronnie -9.5 €50 @ 11/5
    Has to be worth a shot after how badly Hawkins played in the semi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

SarahBM wrote: »
    If Hawkins gives Ronnie any chance Ronnie will destroy him, and I am sure Hawkins knows this. Ronnie I think is very unforgiving that way. Give him one shot and he will (most of the time) clear the table. Id say we will see a 147 or two.

Remember the Robertson Dott final a few yrs ago. I got on the train back to Dublin at 7, sure I was going to miss the end of the match, and was delighted it was still on by the time I got to the flat. Sure it didn't finish til after 1am! Loved it! So compelling.
    The final this could be a walk over but I hope not.

A 147 or 2? Well I hope so but I really doubt it. Very poor amount of centuries this year so far. Only 46 I think, finished in the 70s the last 3 years. You'd think someone who won the semi final 17-11 would rack up a few centuries but Ronnie didn't manage one, but I suppose there was a hell of a lot of safety play too. Maybe he's saving himself for the final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

i'm expecting a couple of 140+ breaks from ronnie

just a hunch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

radiata wrote: »
    A 147 or 2? Well I hope so but I really doubt it. Very poor amount of centuries this year so far. Only 46 I think, finished in the 70s the last 3 years. You'd think someone who won the semi final 17-11 would rack up a few centuries but Ronnie didn't manage one, but I suppose there was a hell of a lot of safety play too. Maybe he's saving himself for the final

If this is Ronnie's last year i think he will be all out to beat Hendry's record for centuries in the world's. He is two behind so can see him going all out to beat the record. Ronnie over 2.5 centuries is 4/6. I can see him getting a decent lead and let the arm loose and bang in the breaks.

Also a quick question if Ronnie win's without going behind surely that must be a record never being behind in the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

A link to Ronnie talking about his financial state and his recent problems.

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsArticles/0,,13165~3167132,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TheHopeful

Just on the commentators, another annoying soundbite that they throw out almost every frame when someone is on a break and misses...."would you believe it?!" I watch it muted at times! But they can be pretty funny at times too in fairness, like taylors comment when the "fart" went off on Judds shot :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55b3Q_yLTzY

Im glad Hawkins won the other match. He is much grittier than Walden, and might be able to get under Ronnies skin and keep it some way close by making the frames scrappy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Here we go!!

Hawkins picks up where he left off with that first shot. Brutal safety!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Come on Baz! Would love to see Hawkins do it, but very hard to see past the rocket in this match.

All you heathens criticising the commentators, the BBC lads no matter how old & outdated, are the best to listen to. The dreariness of Eurosport commentating on the other hand, no thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

18-0???

EnterNow wrote: »
    Come on Baz! Would love to see Hawkins do it, but very hard to see past the rocket in this match.

All you heathens criticising the commentators, the BBC lads no matter how old & outdated, are the best to listen to. The dreariness of Eurosport commentating on the other hand, no thanks.

I agree regarding the commentators. I mean they commentate on hundreds of frames, there's only so much they can change things up! To have players and ex players of the standard of Hendry, Davis, etc is fantastic!

Pretty bad start from Hawkins, not the missed black but the initial safety was pretty terrible. He'll need to settle very quickly before Ronnie runs away with it

1-0 Ronnie

Ronnie -9.5 €50 @ 11/5
    Has to be worth a shot after how badly Hawkins played in the semi.

I'm counting my money

You expect Hawkins to miss every pot. He's not even getting close with them. It won't do his confidence any good if he misses his next few. He might really fall apart if that happens

Come on Barry ffs

2-0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Thought Virgo was about to wet himself during that 'WHERE'S THE CUE BALL GOING' moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

2-0

Ronnie got lucky on at least two occasions there but Jesus! that was still an impressive break. Hawkins needs to win this one for his confidence at least.

Yep, JV was right when he said players don't really settle till they get a frame on the board

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Delighted to see Barry potting a few early. He is losing the cueball a bit, but hopefully that will settle down. Wouldn't like to see him destroyed, he had a great year.

Ronnie looking good. Interesting to see how they both reacted to the table being a bit slow.

Wooooo! 2-1! That was a close black, rattled about 4 or 5 times before dropping :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Nice to see him get a frame

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tommay

2-1

Nice to see Hawkins out of the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Spiderpig92

Lovely break from Hawkins, has his eye in now!

At last Hawkins is playing decent stuff. Hope he doesn't do it too much though :(

• Advertisement

2-2, really good break considering it was done with mostly the blue!

Advertisement