Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Championship 2013 Draw & Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

There was a stat sometime about Judd having 14 kicks and Ronnie just one? ?
    I found that very hard to believe. Surely Ronnie had more than one?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Judd's a young guy only 23, his day will come. Personally I'm delighted for Ronnie, I want to see him win his 5th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I saw the 14-1 stat for kicks, seems strangely one sided. Ronnie was the better player but would have loved for Judd to get to another final and, on viewing the other semi, probably go on to win it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Jernal wrote: »
    There was a stat sometime about Judd having 14 kicks and Ronnie just one? ?
    I found that very hard to believe. Surely Ronnie had more than one?

Commentators mentioned a stat about kicks which affected the position, rather than just kicks. They said maybe the reason they weren't affecting Ronnie's game was maybe because he was cueing so well!

Happy For Ronnie too. He is a cert to win it now. Some achievement .

Would like to See Hawkins go through. Great for him to reach the final after the good year and tournament he has had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Delighted for Ronnie, Especially after Judds comments before the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

iMuse wrote: »
    Delighted for Ronnie, Especially after Judds comments before the match.

What did judd say?

risteard7 wrote: »
    What did judd say?

That Ronnie was "Over Hyped" and that he was playing badly. Also said he wasn't afraid of the name like other players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

ronnie could go on and win 8 titles if he wanted

it didn't look that way years back

looked like he would only win a few

it's amazing how good his game is now and that he's much better than the top young guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

ronnie is snookers Brett Favre. For those who dont follow NFL, he "retired" about 8 million times and made comebacks. He'll be back.

In my opinion, Ronnie will destroy Judd. Judd is deluded i'm afraid with his comments tonight saying his best is as good as Ronnies best. It's not.

Ronnie is obviously stuck for a few bob after the messy proceedings with the ex and the custody battles etc hence the new book coming out in the autumn and him promoting the new brand of vodka.

He'll be wanting to publicise that book to the hilt and best way to do that is pocket the quarter million in a Rocky-style comeback, add a few chapters to the book, pocket a million from that and he'll come back to snooker when he's broke again.

Can't see Judd getting within 4 frames of him by the end of it. 17-10 or 17-11 would be my guess.
    :cool:

the game needs him more than he needs the game

he will always be welcomed back imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

ronnie is snookers Brett Favre. For those who dont follow NFL, he "retired" about 8 million times and made comebacks. He'll be back.

In my opinion, Ronnie will destroy Judd. Judd is deluded i'm afraid with his comments tonight saying his best is as good as Ronnies best. It's not.

Ronnie is obviously stuck for a few bob after the messy proceedings with the ex and the custody battles etc hence the new book coming out in the autumn and him promoting the new brand of vodka.

He'll be wanting to publicise that book to the hilt and best way to do that is pocket the quarter million in a Rocky-style comeback, add a few chapters to the book, pocket a million from that and he'll come back to snooker when he's broke again.

Can't see Judd getting within 4 frames of him by the end of it. 17-10 or 17-11 would be my guess.

Yea trump might be good, but not a hope he is the player o Sullivan is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Very hard to see him not winning it now regardless of what happen's in the other semi-final.

There are a few that can give him a game when they're at their best.Maybe Selby and Robertson should consider playing just the one tournament a year as well.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

SarahBM wrote: »
    Im open to correction here, but does anyone else feel Judd was a bit unlucky with kicks and some shots. Ronnie just seemed to have all the luck. and in fairness to Ronnie when he got chances he took them.

Kicks can also be caused by not hitting the ball clean. Ronnie hits the ball a lot cleaner. 14-1 can't be luck.

Judd hitting basically every shot harder than most players is the reason for more kicks I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Walden has fallen apart today, sad to watch.:(

iMuse wrote: »
    Judd hitting basically every shot harder than most players is the reason for more kicks I would say.

I think players and even commentators have lost sight of what a "kick" is.

A kick is a contact which throws up unexpected results. Whether it's an unexpected angle of cue/object ball or unexpected pace.

However lots of players and commentators are claiming kicks that are not kicks. Sometimes balls will leave the bed of the table, but are not necessarily kicks - just bad cueing.

Even though we can't see it with the naked eye, all balls leave the bed of the table on contact with another ball. It's just usually by such a small amount that it's not noticeable to the naked eye. The BBC showed this with the super slow-mo cameras a few years back.

But in the case of Trump in particular there's a reason he gets so many of the balls jumping or "kicking". If you look at Judds set-up, he keeps the cue close to his chin and his back hand (cue hand) elevated. Ronnie and Selby in particular, drop their back hand slightly on delivery and the cue follows through on a flatter trajectory. As such, Trump is always aiming slightly downwards, even when he believes he's delivering the cue parallel it's not quite that. If you're always aiming slightly downward it increases the likelihood that the red will bounce higher as the white will be bouncing before it gets to the red.

Also, it's fairly hard to ever deliver a cue parallel through the centre of the ball. Purely because there is a drop from the cushion to the table, so cues will always go through the ball at slight angles that are not parallel to the center line of the white.

For example, take 2 snooker balls and put them on your kitchen table. You can cue through the middle of the white. Parallel to the table. If you then line the edge of your table with a stack of 3 CD's and cue over them (a la a cushion) you can get through the centre of the white but the cue won't deliver parallel to the table.

I believe it's those who cue the most parallel possible who have least kicks. And that's usually those who drop their back hand. Higgins and Trump are very similar, tight to their chins and back hand elevated and they both seem to get a lot of kicks.

TL;DR :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

The standard in the Walden/Hawkins semi has been very low. If either of them had played half decent snooker they would have easily been in the final. It must be nerves affecting them.
    I'd say Ronnie is already counting the money. Not a hope of whoevever gets through getting anywhere him if they play as they are playing in the semi. I'd say he'll win the title by 10+ frames. If I can get better than even money for that I'll stick a few quid on

The standard in the Walden/Hawkins semi has been very low. If either of them had played half decent snooker they would have easily been in the final. It must be nerves affecting them.
    I'd say Ronnie is already counting the money. Not a hope of whoevever gets through getting anywhere him if they play as they are playing in the semi. I'd say he'll win the title by 10+ frames. If I can get better than even money for that I'll stick a few quid on

Walden and Hawkins reaching a final would be the equivalent of:

Mal Washington reaching the Wimbledon tennis final in the 1990s.

Deep down in their hearts they know it's very likely to be their only ever opportunity to reach the final.

Also money wise they are playing for a 70 grand difference in prize money, which to them is actually a huge sum. Any other sport and it would be trivial but 70 grand in snooker for those players means a stress free few years.

No surprise as such the standard was so dire for large periods.

Also you're correct, Ronnie could end up pulverising either of them. Anything from 18-5 to 18-8 would be a fair bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Denis Taylor is so annoying, the way he says blue and brown really gets to me. "baloo" and "brine". Thank god there was nothing about that final of 85, will they ever just let it go.
    Also John where's the cue ball going Virgo, try opening your mouth when you speak. He sounds like he's just woken up.
    Willie, your big shiny head is beautiful.
    Stephen Hendry, you are a boring dry git.

Ronnie for the title. And he'll have it won by the afternoon session on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tommay

MJ23 wrote: »
    Denis Taylor is so annoying, the way he says blue and brown really gets to me. "baloo" and "brine". Thank god there was nothing about that final of 85, will they ever just let it go.
    Also John where's the cue ball going Virgo, try opening your mouth when you speak. He sounds like he's just woken up.

"Key shot coming up..."

• Advertisement

Ricky Whitelaw.
    The Factory is not always the Answer, by Martin Maloney.

"she schpoke to me"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Does Ricky Waldon look really tired to anyone else, or is it just me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Taylor-Ronnie's got his focus back:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I seriously hope Ronnie doesn't suffer the "drop your game down to their level" syndrome that is common in sports where one side is significantly better than the other that they just subconsciously or something start absorbing the skill level of the other team/player. Leaving the entire contest to become one very turgid affair.

This other semi-final has been like chewing glass at times. I don't know what that's like but I'm sure it couldn't be much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Feel awful for Ricky Walden at the moment, he looks devastated! Hawkins will now be known as a dangerous player after all these comebacks, he's shown that being a few frames ahead is not necessarily a comfortable position when playing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Jernal wrote: »
    I seriously hope Ronnie doesn't suffer the "drop your game down to their level" syndrome that is common in sports where one side is significantly better than the other that they just subconsciously or something start absorbing the skill level of the other team/player. Leaving the entire contest to become one very turgid affair.

This other semi-final has been like chewing glass at times. I don't know what that's like but I'm sure it couldn't be much worse.

Don't think there's any chance of Ronnie ever playing as bad as these two are playing at the moment. Every aspect is terrible, safety and potting are the worst I've seen in a world championship.
    Setun wrote: »
    Feel awful for Ricky Walden at the moment, he looks devastated! Hawkins will now be known as a dangerous player after all these comebacks, he's shown that being a few frames ahead is not necessarily a comfortable position when playing him.

I'd say any player would be happy to be drawn against Hawkins seeing how badly he plays when there's any pressure on him. I know it's a big match for them but the standard is really poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

final will be a cake walk for ronnie unless a miracle happens.. may see him going for 147's if he's just pummeling him

Where's the cue ball going?

Where's the cue ball going?

All the reds are in the open now apart from the blue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Spiderpig92

It looks ominous for Hawkins, but at the end of the day he has nothing to lose, whereas he was favourite against Walden and it got to him. He can go out and enjoy the occasion. For him to have any chance, he has to win the first session and maybe 5-3 would not even be good enough. If he loses the opening session it will be one way traffic and as much as i hate to admit it, the final could end with a session to spare

Advertisement